Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming

"Diablo 3 will make everyone else accept the fact you have to be connected. If you have a juggernaut, you can make change. I'm all for that. If we could force people to always be connected when you play the game, and then have that be acceptable, awesome," id Software Creative Director Tim Willits tells Eurogamer. "In the end, it's better for everybody. Imagine picking up a game and it's automatically updated. Or there's something new you didn't know about, and you didn't have to click away. It's all automatically there. But it does take juggernauts like [Diablo 3] to make change. I'm a big proponent of always connected. I'm always connected. Our fans are always connected. There will be a few people who will resent the fact you have to be online to play a single-player game. But it'll change."

View
194 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

14. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 11:16 Verno

Another perfect example of the industry telling people what they want instead of listening to what they want.

Exactly, well said. Most people don't have a problem with reasonable implementations of "always on" products, its when they do not create any alternative for unforeseen offline circumstances that people get upset. I don't mind Diablo 3's MP implementation because chances are that I will likely always being play it on a computer with working internet access. On the other hand the odd time I do want to play it offline there should some option instead of just "well tough shit". Until we have blanketed the entire country in wireless there are going to be times when offline functionality is not only desired but necessary and we're still a long ways off on that front.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 11:15 Tumbler

I'm a big proponent of always connected. I'm always connected. Our fans are always connected. There will be a few people who will resent the fact you have to be online to play a single-player game. But it'll change.

You are always connected to the internet. We are always connected to the internet. We are not always connected to you and we don't want to be.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

12. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 11:09 briktal

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 10:44:
Imagine picking up a game and it's automatically updated.

OMG, GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE?! SERIOUSLY?! THAT'S INCREDIBLE! Please tell us more of this amazing digital wizardry! You mean, like, the game just auto-updates itself? Like Steam has been doing just fine for me for the past six years, even though I'm NOT always connected?

What more incredible fucking benefits do you have for us, oh Prononent of Horseshit DRM? Because let's be honest here, that's the ONLY reason to force being online for single player games, Tim Fucking Willits.

Creston

Hell, plenty of games 10 years ago had updaters in their launchers.

If you want people to accept online-only single player, you have to make the single player an online game, give the user a reason to want to play online. Why would I want to play Doom 3's single player online?

11. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 11:08 Cutter

Another perfect example of the industry telling people what they want instead of listening to what they want. It's going to cost Blizzard more than just a few sales, and it will be an epic failure for Rage if they try it. There is zero upside to always being online for the consumer. It's entirely for the benefit for the producer and their partners. And no, it will never change. Hey you know what? I hated fish as a kid and I still do. Ubisoft has already demonstrated that the vast majority of people do not like it, so fuck you Tom, and the horse you rode in on.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 11:07 dheer

"In the end, it's better for everybody"
Fuck you, fuckball.

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

9. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 11:07 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 11:02:
"I mean, people love control! Who doesn't? People love to be controlled and always monitored. Just remember that thingy from Deus Ex. This is the future, this is better. Trust us! After all, who wouldn't give up a little freedom for security and comfort?"

Not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand.
You realize that, even in offline mode, Steam will store your usage statistics and just upload it next time it connects to its own server. So the only way to not be monitored is to buy a game then never connect again, not even to buy a new game. Except that Valve monitored you buying that game and stored it as a statistic somewhere.

Really, the only way not to be monitored is to walk out into the ocean and never be seen again.

And I never said that that's a good thing about Steam.
That's what I love about gog. I download the game and I'm done. Never have to associate with them again.

8. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 11:07 Bard

yeah - just perfect when I am sitting on those long ferry rides with nothing to do.

I guess i'll have to stick to ipad gaming..

7. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 11:06 Gas Bandit

Beamer wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 11:02:
"I mean, people love control! Who doesn't? People love to be controlled and always monitored. Just remember that thingy from Deus Ex. This is the future, this is better. Trust us! After all, who wouldn't give up a little freedom for security and comfort?"

You realize that, even in offline mode, Steam will store your usage statistics and just upload it next time it connects to its own server. So the only way to not be monitored is to buy a game then never connect again, not even to buy a new game. Except that Valve monitored you buying that game and stored it as a statistic somewhere.

Really, the only way not to be monitored is to walk out into the ocean and never be seen again.

I'd be ok with them storing up gaming data to report on next connection. What I don't agree with is a single player game I own telling me when I am and am not allowed to play the game I own based only on an arbitrary online tether. It's different for an MMO because the content IS online. This is totally different, and totally unacceptable.

6. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 11:04 ASeven

Another retarded mainstream dev showing that the sooner pc gaming goes full indie the better.  

5. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 11:02 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 10:59 Parallax Abstraction

Wow, way to kick the hornet's nest right when you're at the height of trying to sell your new product Tim.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 10:47 yuastnav

I think you forgot to add that, Timmy. Oh, don't give me the look. I know you wanted to say it anyway.

2. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 10:46 Ray Ban

Oh no he didn't!  
"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

1. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 10:44 Creston

Imagine picking up a game and it's automatically updated.

OMG, GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE?! SERIOUSLY?! THAT'S INCREDIBLE! Please tell us more of this amazing digital wizardry! You mean, like, the game just auto-updates itself? Like Steam has been doing just fine for me for the past six years, even though I'm NOT always connected?

What more incredible fucking benefits do you have for us, oh Prononent of Horseshit DRM? Because let's be honest here, that's the ONLY reason to force being online for single player games, Tim Fucking Willits.

Creston

194 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo