Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future

IndustryGamers recently spoke with BioWare co-founder Dr. Ray Muzyka about Dragon Age II, and the discontent of some fans at the changes in the RPG sequel compared with Dragon Age: Origins. Dr. Ray points out that these changes helped introduce a wider audience to the series, but also talks about making changes based on user feedback in upcoming Dragon Age II DLC, and presumably Dragon Age III. Here's an excerpt:

"We’re working on future projects in the Dragon Age franchise," he acknowledged. "We have some more DLC plans, that actually address some of the feedback from some of our core fans. I think that’s going to be really satisfying to fans who liked DAO and DA2. We haven’t announced Dragon Age III formally at all, but we can say we’re definitely thinking about future products. There’s some cool stuff in the works there."

View
31. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Aug 10, 2011, 10:38 Fion

For the record I forced myself through the entire game (as short as it was compared to the Original) as I heard the second half of the game was a lot better and it was an improvement, but it was still shit compared to DA1.

I can understand how some folks disliked the original. The combat was relatively slow for a 'modern rpg', the combat was also quite difficult in certain spots and casual players probably had a hard time with it, even on low settings and really it played more like a 90's RPG than one today and if you didn't really 'grow into' RPG's in that period you probably wouldn't 'get' it I suppose.

To me, DA:O was a masterpiece, despite it's relatively few flaws, it had such depth, such a detailed world as was unseen even in previous Bioware games. They spent five years crafting Dragon Age: Origins and it showed by it's shear depth and the amount of love the developers put into the game. It was about far more than just the game you see on the surface. And that love was returned, as the fans made it Biowares best selling game of all time, selling a million copies more than their next best seller (ME2). I beat DA:O three times (I still have a game or two I haven't finished on it, which I will return to at some point), twice even with the same class and it played 'very' differently based on decisions I made in the game.

By comparison DA2 was 'press a button, something awesome happens' with 'very' little depth, constant repeating content (areas, mobs, content, quests, you name it). It was just a shell of the original, an action game with the DA label slapped on it. But then again what do you expect? When EA bought Bioware they clearly saw how well it sold and told Bioware' you've got 18 months to make a sequel!

I have on Steam 302 hours played in DA2, thats four games, two completed, one I did 'everything' in the game. In DA2 I have 36... If that doesn't show which to me was better, nothing could.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2011, 10:47.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Aug 9, 22:08 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Rattlehead
  2. Aug 9, 22:31  Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Flatline
  9. Aug 10, 01:18  Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Dirwulf
  10. Aug 10, 01:30   Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Jerykk
  14. Aug 10, 01:50    Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future StingingVelvet
  16. Aug 10, 06:10    Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future wonkawonka
  37. Aug 10, 15:26     Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Creston
  11. Aug 10, 01:32   Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Wowbagger_TIP
  19. Aug 10, 07:27   Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Dades
  25. Aug 10, 09:25    Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future nin
  26. Aug 10, 09:45     Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Asmo
  30. Aug 10, 10:25      Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Verno
>> 31. Aug 10, 10:38       Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Fion
  38. Aug 10, 17:43       Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Asmo
  39. Aug 10, 17:51        Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Beelzebud
  22. Aug 10, 08:57   Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future necrosis
  28. Aug 10, 10:08   Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future dheer
  29. Aug 10, 10:25    Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Fion
  18. Aug 10, 07:22  Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future The Half Elf
  3. Aug 9, 22:50 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Icewind
  5. Aug 9, 23:45  Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Jerykk
  6. Aug 10, 00:02  Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Nucas
  7. Aug 10, 00:08   Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Wowbagger_TIP
  4. Aug 9, 23:21 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Dades
  8. Aug 10, 00:14 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future EricFate
  12. Aug 10, 01:41 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Kastagir
  13. Aug 10, 01:49 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future StingingVelvet
  15. Aug 10, 05:15 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future TiradeofTruth
  17. Aug 10, 06:10  Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Grokk
  20. Aug 10, 07:59 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Julio
  21. Aug 10, 08:34  Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future briktal
  23. Aug 10, 09:00 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Bhruic
  24. Aug 10, 09:03 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Verno
  27. Aug 10, 09:48 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future ZeroCougar
  32. Aug 10, 10:42 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Yakubs
  33. Aug 10, 10:51 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Belly Flop
  34. Aug 10, 10:59 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Cutter
  35. Aug 10, 11:13 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future wonkawonka
  36. Aug 10, 15:21 Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Creston

footer

Blue's News logo