Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I got an interesting email from a reader named Gareee about my comment about grilling chicken breasts. He offered the suggestion to simmer them in the marinade a bit before getting them on the grill. I think I will give this a try, though it will probably take a little trial-and-error to determine the proper amount of simmering, but it sounds like this may be as effective as other items that I do this way, as I use beer to precook sausages and chicken wings before grilling them, which does a nice job of keeping them moist.

Moistened Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Immortal Souls: Dark Crusade.
Maze of Illusions.
Links: 10 Conspiracies About The Moon (Not Including The Big One). Thanks Neatorama.
Beyond Water Cooling.
The Price of Gas These Days.
Media: Knockout FAIL and FAILBlog PSA: The Best of July.
Greatest freakout ever 15. Thanks Flying Penguin.
NMA: Newark ranked worst airport by Wall Street Journal.
Follow-up: NASA Mars rover will roll into its ultimate crater destination this week.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2011, 08:47 Pundit Guy

Add some sugar or sweet substance to the brine (not a lot, but a little can make a difference). I like brown sugar or molasses for pork, and honey for chicken. Any acid will make the meat tough, so avoid citrus or vinegar if you're going to leave the meat in a brine for a long time.

I'll take IQF chicken wings, and brine them overnight in the refrigerator in a salt-honey solution that's salty like seawater and just barely sweet. By the time you get to them the next day, they're thawed and ready to go. The sugar will help them brown up deeply and evenly. Oh, and use Alton Brown's wing method -- hasn't steered me wrong once.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2011, 03:30 Hoop

Always simmer down before engaging breasts. A few beers before hand can't hurt.  

Um .. Behind you...

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2011, 21:44 Sepharo

I've got 38 Valve employees on G+ now, still collecting more.

Soon I'll be able to bring you scoops like, "Some Valve artist is in Detroit right now taking pictures of buildings."

Actually that's not just an example!

Maybe looking for some inspiration for some apocalypse like ruins to litter HL3 with.

/commence creeping

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2011, 21:36 Mastaba

Hey Blue, that stupid phony security malware infested ad just hijacked my browser (or at least attempted to).  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2011, 20:25 Lesaonar

Can't say that the idea of poaching the chicken 1st sounds like an appetizing alternative. If it's not done right, expect it to be rubbery.  
[img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/8qzpu4-4.png[/img]

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2011, 15:43 sauron

Loki wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 11:55:
Beer brined chicken prior to grilling is my person favorite. I take a whole chicken cut into pieces. 2-3 bottles of beer depending on the size of you brine container. Generously salt all the chicken pieces lay in a Tupperware container. Poor 2-3 bottles of your favorite beer on the chicken covering all pieces completely. Brine for 2-3 hours, remove pat dry and rub with a rub of your choice. I prefer to use a rub with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, kosher salt, cumin, cocoa and sugar.

Cook over a nice even charcoal fire and enjoy!

That sounds delicious. My only problem is that using good beer for anything other than inebriating oneself seems like a crime.

I guess it's all in the interest of science though. Kinda.

Kittens!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2011, 11:55 Loki

Beer brined chicken prior to grilling is my person favorite. I take a whole chicken cut into pieces. 2-3 bottles of beer depending on the size of you brine container. Generously salt all the chicken pieces lay in a Tupperware container. Poor 2-3 bottles of your favorite beer on the chicken covering all pieces completely. Brine for 2-3 hours, remove pat dry and rub with a rub of your choice. I prefer to use a rub with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, kosher salt, cumin, cocoa and sugar.

Cook over a nice even charcoal fire and enjoy!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2011, 11:54 Cutter

Lorcin, I posted your quote around a few places yesterday and it's already been picked up and quoted by some other people. It could go global.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2011, 11:53 Cutter

Cooks Illustrated Brining

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2011, 11:52 Capella

Just saw the vening Tech bits from last night. Why do I always miss all the fun?! That made me LOL!  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2011, 11:01 EddieTheHack

Brine is always the way to go for chicken. Grilled, Fried, Roasted, it does not matter. Check the food.com postings and play around till you land on one that your fond of. I made the mistake of using my chicken brine recipe on turkey for thanksgiving last year. My grandmother has now made it my life long responsibility to always cook the turkeys for family gatherings. Be careful with the brine. With great flavor and juicy bird, comes many requests to make it.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2011, 10:38 MajorD

NICE! Sounds good Blue.

It has been a '4th of July' tradition at my house to chop up an onion, pour some beer (a lot) over it in a big pot, and then boil the brats in the beer and chopped onion for a couple of hours. Then when people are ready to eat, I drop them on the grill and brown them. YUM!!! Chef

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo