Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today

The DC Universe Online Facebook Page announces that the first of the previously announced server mergers for DC Universe Online is taking place today, beginning the process whereby the 26 servers for SOE's superhero MMORPG will be merged into four regionalized "MegaServers." This starts with the merger of European PC servers, which is, subject to change, to be followed Wednesday's U.S. PC merger, Thursday's U.S. PS3 merger, and the European PS3 merger slated for next Monday. They explain the downtime associated with this, how they are dealing with duplicate player and League names that this will result in, and how players will now be able to switch between PvP and PvP play on the same server. Here's word from DCUO executive producer Lorin 'DeadMeat' Jameson: "I am very excited about this move to MegaServers and I know that everyone is going to be happy with how this will expand your game play possibilities and the level of fun you have in DC Universe Online. We will be keeping everyone updated on the progress of this plan in the Announcements sections of the forums so stay tuned!" Thanks GameInformer.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 9, 2011, 08:21 briktal

Illumin wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 23:41:
26 servers combined into 4 regional? Ouch so like what are they going for? 1 Americas, 1 Euro, 1 Asia and what?

Anyway you look at it that's bad real bad. Adding the word mega doesn't make it sound any better. This time next year you think they will be shut down?

US PC, US PS3, Euro PC, Euro PS3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 23:41 Illumin

26 servers combined into 4 regional? Ouch so like what are they going for? 1 Americas, 1 Euro, 1 Asia and what?

Anyway you look at it that's bad real bad. Adding the word mega doesn't make it sound any better. This time next year you think they will be shut down?

13. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 23:05 kanniballl

necrosis wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 15:06:
Say that reminds me. Was the PC version down during the PSN hacks or was it still running?

It was down, though not as long.

PSN was hit, but so was SOE which resulted in the loss of some CC numbers. So they took down SOE (PC-mmo's) for I think 2 weeks while they assessed the situation and sealed some holes.

It's one of the things that killed it for me, I was already started to be on the fence... but 2 weeks cold turkey more-or-less sealed the deal.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Champions Online did Aug 8, 2011, 20:38 The Half Elf

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 16:26:
Ironically I just upgraded a 2 gig patch yesterday to start playing again, when I saw this bluesnews post today I got excited. But now, forget it.

If I have to give Cryptic credit for anything, it's the fact that they publicly announced that a superhero's name is extremely important, and allowed you to have any name you'd like in Champions Online. DCUO dropped the ball hard by making a name unavailable if someone else chose it.

A name can make or break your character. For example I thought up a perfect Martial Arts + Fire character named "Third Degree". It was a pun on being a third degree black belt, and third degree burns. Hence martial arts, and fire. Perfect name for the character. Taken. On every server. On day one of retail. WTF?! But let's not stop here...almost every name imaginable was taken. Over and over again. I literally got out a thesaurus and was trying to come up with cool character names, but the vast majority were always taken. Within the first month I got so fed up with it I chose not to resubscribe.

And now, instead of fixing the problem, it gets even WORSE. Now if someone else on another server shares your name, you have to CHANGE IT. So the name you've had for your character since day one now has to be changed.

What a bunch of incompetent fools.

John, if ya ever need someone to group with in Champs let me know @CptRanger
Your character theme alone makes me want to group with ya

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 17:04 Ruffiana

Without any ire towards Sony or DCUO (not a player of any of their games), it's utterly ridiculous to launch an MMO in this day and age without shardless and scaleable server technology. Nothing says 'bad launch' like not having enough servers to handle the unpredictable load in the weeks after launch and nothing says 'dying MMO' like seeing news that they're 'merging servers'.  

10. Champions Online did Aug 8, 2011, 16:26 JohnBirshire

Ironically I just upgraded a 2 gig patch yesterday to start playing again, when I saw this bluesnews post today I got excited. But now, forget it.

If I have to give Cryptic credit for anything, it's the fact that they publicly announced that a superhero's name is extremely important, and allowed you to have any name you'd like in Champions Online. DCUO dropped the ball hard by making a name unavailable if someone else chose it.

A name can make or break your character. For example I thought up a perfect Martial Arts + Fire character named "Third Degree". It was a pun on being a third degree black belt, and third degree burns. Hence martial arts, and fire. Perfect name for the character. Taken. On every server. On day one of retail. WTF?! But let's not stop here...almost every name imaginable was taken. Over and over again. I literally got out a thesaurus and was trying to come up with cool character names, but the vast majority were always taken. Within the first month I got so fed up with it I chose not to resubscribe.

And now, instead of fixing the problem, it gets even WORSE. Now if someone else on another server shares your name, you have to CHANGE IT. So the name you've had for your character since day one now has to be changed.

What a bunch of incompetent fools.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2011, 16:50.

9. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 15:39 Veterator

Let's see. Beta was going, all the builds were pretty decent. Few weeks prior to release they scrambled some of the better builds and made them worthless. Then removed some of the power lines......and released the game. Only to now plan an expansion that adds them back.

Then within 3 months of release they release a statement saying they will no longer update the content like they had promised at a more rapid schedule.

Then they get hacked.

I mean.....they shot themselves in the foot prior to the hack, but the hack just sealed their fate. SOE can not handle third party content MMOs, and I question whether they can handle a true MMO anymore. It's not feasible to have a 20-30 dollar expansion every 8 months like they did with EQ, and to a lesser degree with EQ2.

And they are also trying to cash in on many other fronts with MMOs....they barely produce a game for all the "sales channels" they want to stick into them.

8. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 15:19 Darks

necrosis wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 15:06:
kanniballl wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 14:20:
You can reach 30 in 15hours of play (if you know what you're doing),
I was in the beta (PSN+ access) and I hit the beta cap (15 IIRC) inside a day. This alone turned me off to the game. No to mention I would have preferred to play on PC which I heard was a complete abysmal port.

While the game was cool it really felt like a Fisher Price MMO. Like those crappy web based ones advertised during Saturday morning cartoons.

And finally stack on PC and PS3 being on different servers that sealed the deal for not buying into it.

Say that reminds me. Was the PC version down during the PSN hacks or was it still running?

It was down..

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

7. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 15:06 necrosis

kanniballl wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 14:20:
You can reach 30 in 15hours of play (if you know what you're doing),
I was in the beta (PSN+ access) and I hit the beta cap (15 IIRC) inside a day. This alone turned me off to the game. No to mention I would have preferred to play on PC which I heard was a complete abysmal port.

While the game was cool it really felt like a Fisher Price MMO. Like those crappy web based ones advertised during Saturday morning cartoons.

And finally stack on PC and PS3 being on different servers that sealed the deal for not buying into it.

6. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 14:20 kanniballl

Honestly, too little too late.

I'm sure the hacking screwed them over nicely in a bunch of ways.

But between it being out-of-sight / out-of-mind for so long, going cold turkey took away most of my enjoyment.

Add to that the sliver of content and the fact that there are only a couple of decently populated servers on... I just grew tired of it. I mean, Champions Online at release had at least 10x more content than DCUO and people still b*tched about CO's content. You can reach 30 in 15hours of play (if you know what you're doing), after which point just about ALL of the end-game content relies on queues... which relies on (wait for it....) population.

I *might* pick up the Green Lantern expansion pack, just because GL is one of my fav comic heroes of all time. But even that is no gaurantee.

It's a shame... the game had PROMISE. An MMO that was scaled more towards action than Champions, playing in the DC realm with DC characters/IP, etc. But they dropped the ball on too many fronts.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 13:58 Darks

Fion wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 13:10:
I tried to pick this up again a few weeks ago and my formerly packed server was so dead I couldn't believe it. Watchtower had only 2-3 people on a Saturday evening Dead.

The Reason those servers are dead is because of Sony’s failed attempt to satisfy their customers after the Hacking. Yes, they offered us time back, and some even got items. But I lost more time when I still had my 30 original days after I bought this game on sale.

Right after I bought it the servers went down; I got a whole 5 days usage out of my account. I informed Sony after we got back on line that I had lost several weeks, they pretty much told me to piss off, what they gave us was more than enough.
So, I cancelled my account and haven’t gone back. Sony is now the ones suffering because they have turned away from their customers. Which is why the servers are merging no one’s playing the game. Sony is untrustworthy and they have failed.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

4. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 13:37 Cutter

Heh, I can never think of that song anymore without thinking of Withnail & I.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

3. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 13:18  Blue 

Fion wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 13:10:
Watchtower had only 2-3 people on a Saturday evening Dead.

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief.
"There's too much confusion," I can't get no relief.
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth.
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 13:10 Fion

I tried to pick this up again a few weeks ago and my formerly packed server was so dead I couldn't believe it. Watchtower had only 2-3 people on a Saturday evening Dead.  

1. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 12:55 necrosis

Still no PC and PS3 players on the same servers? Lame.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo