Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage

This trailer offers over thirty minutes of footage shot off a screen showing the demonstration of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at QuakeCon 2011. The clip of Bethesda's upcoming role-playing sequel has not been removed just yet, though the almost desperate way the description stresses the "fair use" section of the Copyright Act of 1976 suggests they know this may not be completely kosher. Thanks Computer and Video Games.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 10, 2011, 02:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Yeah, I'm kinda skeptical about the interface, but I know I'm gonna get this anyway. The detail in the environments and creatures looks a lot better, and I like the idea of wielding different weapons/spells in each hand like that. This seems like it'll be a significant improvement over Oblivion in most, if not all ways. Can't wait for this. Just hope I'm not so busy then. I may have to take a mini-vacation when this comes out.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 23:37 Sepharo

That map is hot.  

30. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 22:17 MajorD

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 21:28:

Please. These are nerds. They would have desperately been trying to fan out their sweaty armpits while waiting to get a picture taken with her, so that later they could brag to their friends that they "totally talked to her, and shit!"

/1990.

Creston
LOL! Nice......

29. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 22:05 sauron

Ashley wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 17:07:
I'm playing Morrowind GOTY again while waiting for Skyrim. I forgot how weird it was compared to Oblivion. Hope they put some of that weird into Skyrim.

Same here. You know what they say, 'When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.' In that context, Morrowind is definitely pro, a unique experience, like PS:Torment. Currently replaying it, and loving every minute.*

*Except the cliff racers. They can kiss my ass.

Kittens!

28. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 21:28 Creston

MajorD wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 19:17:
Cutter wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 11:56[/quote:

Agreed. No english muffin pizzas for those assholes!

HAHAHAHA! Absolutely NOT!

But you know, the more I think about it, Olivia Wilde could have been naked going back and forth on the stage and they would have been all up in arms saying, "Ummmm, excuse me, ahhh we trying to watch a video game demo here....ahhhh, so could you please put your clothes back on and get off the stage?"

Please. These are nerds. They would have desperately been trying to fan out their sweaty armpits while waiting to get a picture taken with her, so that later they could brag to their friends that they "totally talked to her, and shit!"

/1990.

Creston

27. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 19:17 MajorD

Cutter wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 11:56[/quote:

HAHAHAHA! Absolutely NOT!

But you know, the more I think about it, Olivia Wilde could have been naked going back and forth on the stage and they would have been all up in arms saying, "Ummmm, excuse me, ahhh we trying to watch a video game demo here....ahhhh, so could you please put your clothes back on and get off the stage?"

26. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 18:55 Cutter

MajorD wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 17:50:
Cutter wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 11:56:
....And Jesus are those fucking fanboys annoying beyond belief. You'd think they've never seen a video game and it was some sort of magic show going on.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. I thought maybe Olivia Wilde was prancing back and forth in a bikini on the stage or something. I said to myself, "Come guys, it's just an F'ing video game for cryin' out loud!" CLOWNS!! Clown

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

25. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 17:50 MajorD

Cutter wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 11:56:
....And Jesus are those fucking fanboys annoying beyond belief. You'd think they've never seen a video game and it was some sort of magic show going on.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. I thought maybe Olivia Wilde was prancing back and forth in a bikini on the stage or something. I said to myself, "Come guys, it's just an F'ing video game for cryin' out loud!" CLOWNS!! Clown

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 17:44 Creston

Watched the video again, and I gotta say it's definitely growing on me. Todd's commentary helps explain some things, and the favorites option would be a big help with the UI issues.

Him saying that there's more content in this game than in any other they've ever done is very promising.

Definitely can't wait for 11/11...

Creston

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 17:07 Ashley

Verno wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 13:04:

I think the Oblivion interface was serviceable but I'd stop far from calling it good. Barely adequate maybe? This game seems to be taking the same approach. It's not enough to make me avoid a purchase but it is a very lazy design and seems to say "ok well modders will fix it up again".

This quote made me miss Code Monkeys so much. As I read it I heard it in Todd's voice in my head.

I'm playing Morrowind GOTY again while waiting for Skyrim. I forgot how weird it was compared to Oblivion. Hope they put some of that weird into Skyrim.

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 16:50 jdwohlever

From the link to the video:

"NEW SKYRIM DEMO FOOTA..."
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by ZeniMax Media Inc.
Sorry about that.

Xbox Live Ambassador (RET)
Founder of PERS0NA, a non-profit scientific paranormal investigation society
"American by Birth, Gamer by the Grace of God"

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 16:17 Creston

Thanks for the new link, MisterBenn. I downloaded it with the YTD, so Zenimax can suck it with their takedown notices.

Edit :
I couldn't stand this video for more than two minutes because of the obnoxious crowd. Why can't they just STFU and watch?

Mute is your friend.

Creston

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 16:03 jacobvandy

I couldn't stand this video for more than two minutes because of the obnoxious crowd. Why can't they just STFU and watch?  

19. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 14:23 MisterBenn

FYI The clip is currently still available here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkeqvf_the-elder-scrolls-skyrim-quakecon_videogames

For the brave of heart, the best way to experience Skyrim is to wait a year after release and pick it up on PC. The price of hardware to run it optimally will be much better, and mods to improve UI and balance out the immediate game mechanics will all be mature. I told myself this when Oblivion was being released and didn't stick to it, and I expect to ignore my own advice again this time!

Edit: Just watched it through to the end. This does at least look like a more honest preview than the Radiant AI video was for Oblivion. My thougts so far:

1) Overall seems promising enough, the performance and polish seemed good.

2) Those landscapes so far could have easily been in Oblivion. I hope there are some more alien or extreme environments, they were a big part of Morrowind's flavour that was missing in the sequel. Also non-earth creatures go a long way, netches and kwamas in Morrowind became hounds, crabs and deer in Oblivion which was a little disappointing. Skyrim's giants with mammoths seem promising though, I hope for more distinct creatures like that.

3) That GUI was clearly organised for a console but seemed managable. The main inventory menu + favourites seems roughly equivalent to how arrived out of the box, and at least the font is a more sensible size.

4) Looks like the makers of the skill train rate mod and arrow denock mod are not out of a job yet! Skills were increasing very fast there, I hope that is just due to the demo.

5) I liked the look of that perk tree, it assuaged some of my fears that variety in character builds would be restricted. I imagine the possibilities in the hands of a modder could be superb.

6) I agree with that earlier comment that the combat is a bit odd in places. There should be some weight behind the hacking and the thumping with your weapons, and although the animations are decent the feel was quite light. Also those finishing moves suddenly kicking in is a little strange.

My interest in this game is still intact!

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2011, 15:25.

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

18. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 13:53 Creston

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 12:31:
Jesus will everyone stop talking about "fixing the UI" until you actually play the game?

So you like RPG interfaces that look like ones you've been comfortable with in the past, GREAT. I support you remaking every game that does not do things the way YOU like them to be. Go spend the rest of your life doing this, in fact, while the rest of the world moves on and tries new things. I wont miss you commenting about "oh we're gonna have to fix this.. or that" before even trying the new system for extended periods of time YOURSELF to see how it works.

Psst. YOU might want to remember that not everyone feels like YOU do. That some people will have different opinions from YOU. That doesn't make them right or wrong, they're just different. That's called society. Welcome to it. I hope YOU will enjoy your stay.

Creston

17. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 13:25 Verno

yuastnav wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 13:13:
Wasn't able to watch it but I'm still looking forward to that game.
It will probably not be one of the best or innovative games but if it's going to be at least as entertaining as Oblivion then that's fine.
As Beamer said, easy 70+ hours. Probably much more.
Oblivion was just too entertaining and fun.

Yeah Oblivion had some very well scripted quests even if the writing wasn't always up to snuff. For all of its faults and warts I spent a good hundred hours with Oblivion, more when I got some mods to fix some of the obvious stuff.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

16. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 13:22 Fion

Anyone have a mirror???  

15. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 13:13 yuastnav

Wasn't able to watch it but I'm still looking forward to that game.
It will probably not be one of the best or innovative games but if it's going to be at least as entertaining as Oblivion then that's fine.
As Beamer said, easy 70+ hours. Probably much more.
Oblivion was just too entertaining and fun.

14. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 13:04 Verno

So you like RPG interfaces that look like ones you've been comfortable with in the past, GREAT. I support you remaking every game that does not do things the way YOU like them to be. Go spend the rest of your life doing this, in fact, while the rest of the world moves on and tries new things. I wont miss you commenting about "oh we're gonna have to fix this.. or that" before even trying the new system for extended periods of time YOURSELF to see how it works.

The interface was fully viewable, I'm not sure what makes you think that it will be impossible to predict how it operates without hitting input buttons yourself. People can very easily judge it based on how it looks in a video. I don't see that interface as trying anything new either so I'm not sure where this accusation that everyone is being stodgy and unwilling to change comes from. If anything most console interfaces are quite predictable. People have every right to expect a PC interface when they buy a PC product. If they wanted a streamlined interface they would likely buy a console and the game there.

I think the Oblivion interface was serviceable but I'd stop far from calling it good. Barely adequate maybe? This game seems to be taking the same approach. It's not enough to make me avoid a purchase but it is a very lazy design and seems to say "ok well modders will fix it up again".

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2011, 13:10.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

13. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ShakyCam Footage Aug 8, 2011, 12:58 venomhed

Looks ok, just like a typical Elder Scrolls

1. Still doesn't seem to have seamless transitions into dungeons. More "Open the wooden door to enter this dungeon" crap. A limitation of consoles. Rage looks like it can do this, even Dungeon Siege 1 had seamless transitions.

2. Your character levels, which means god like abilities, which means, as with all other elder scrolls games, you are too powerful and will destroy everything. No sense of death at all. Take the Stalker approach, no leveling, you NEVER feel god like, and groups always have the advantage. Not in this game.

Still will get it, and will still be disapointed as usual.....

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo