Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The last time I grilled chicken I had a little disaster, as I initially forgot to boil the marinade to decontaminate it so I could use it to baste the chicken as it cooks, so I tried to speed the process by putting it on the stove. Just as I was getting ready to turn the chicken I went inside to collect the marinade, and arrived just as it boiled over into a giant mess, so my chicken started to burn before I got back to it. Last night I was extra motivated to make it perfectly to make up for this, and after getting the fire going just right I put the chicken on, and the very next second the first raindrop fell in what turned out to be an incredibly heavy rain storm, which lasted exactly as long as my cooking session. The chicken came out okay considering I had to keep the grill closed and couldn't see very well, but it was far from the perfection for which I was striving, as I only ended up with one set of grill marks out of an ideal four, and the chicken came out a trifle chewy. One more incident in a row and I'm going to redub this recipe Murphy's Chicken, after the law of the same name.

R.I.P.: Hugh Carey Is Dead at 92.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Amateur Ninja.
Potty Racers 3.
Mad Farmer.
Links: 5 More Impractical Ideas For BioShock Cities.
The 6 Things Every Great Rockstar Game Does Wrong.
Images: Awesome Left4Dead graffiti spotted in Brooklyn's 7th Ave station.
Batmanís Prom Ride.
7 Pictures of Cosplayers Having Fun.
Media: Skyrim/Inception Trailer music) mashup. Mute the left. Thanks reddit.
A Halo Proposal at the Red vs. Blue Booth at Comic Con 2011.
Uncovering Static -- A 64k demonstration. Another Assembly entry. Thanks Auger.
The Funnies: The Problem With The Avengers Movie.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 14:28 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 13:50:
I somehow doubt that it was their fault.
Fair enough. But then they shouldn't keep calling all their turkey recipes "fool proof."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 13:50 Cutter

Ratty wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 11:49:
Yesterday I made the worst turkey I have ever in my life tasted. It was an America's Test Kitchen recipe. Sometimes their recipes are outstanding but they do have pretty frequent clunkers too. I've never had good luck with their turkey recipes.

I somehow doubt that it was their fault.

And I actually had some nice jerked chicken yesterday with the ol' red beans, rice and corn. Was missing the cornbread though so I'll make some this week.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 12:20 Ratty

kibbled wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 12:01:
My favorite BBQ chicken recipe is beer can chicken. The only prep is you coat the chicken in spices and stick a potato in to keep the moisture. I personally use a lemon or apple. Fill a beer/soda can 1/4 of beer and then stick the whole chicken on top of a Beer Can Chicken Holder. You keep the temp at 350 for 90 minutes. All the fat will drip off but the moisture stays in. If you keep a pan underneath the chicken there is no mess.
Wow! ME TOO! That chicken is the best. Always moist and juicy even as cold leftovers. That's an ATK recipe too and one of my favorites. I used a big ol' can of Bud the first time I did it but it was too hard to take it in and out of the oven without it tipping over so when I saw one of those vertical roasters at a thrift store for 5 dollars I went and got it. The ATK recipe has a maple-molasses-mustard glaze. I'll try cramming a potato up there next time I make it.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 12:01 kibbled

My favorite BBQ chicken recipe is beer can chicken. The only prep is you coat the chicken in spices and stick a potato in to keep the moisture. I personally use a lemon or apple. Fill a beer/soda can 1/4 of beer and then stick the whole chicken on top of a Beer Can Chicken Holder. You keep the temp at 350 for 90 minutes. All the fat will drip off but the moisture stays in. If you keep a pan underneath the chicken there is no mess.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 11:49 Ratty

Yesterday I made the worst turkey I have ever in my life tasted. It was an America's Test Kitchen recipe. Sometimes their recipes are outstanding but they do have pretty frequent clunkers too. I've never had good luck with their turkey recipes.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 11:35  Blue 

Enahs wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 11:25:
I am not sure how having the grill closed is a problem.

Never leave the grill open when grilling. You only open it when you flip....

For pounded thin chicken breasts? I take it you're a big fan of chicken jerky? Chef

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 11:25 Enahs

I am not sure how having the grill closed is a problem.

Never leave the grill open when grilling. You only open it when you flip....

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 11:24 sauron

Thanks guys. Those do look pretty reasonable. Looks like it might run on my current rig. I'm planning an upgrade later in the fall anyhow.

I wonder if you can mod the music in the game to play 'Dark Entries' during a gun battle?

Kittens!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 11:19  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 11:14:
I'm not sure if they've posted specs, but it seems very reasonable, from what people have said.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/121365/deus-ex-human-revolution-specs

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 11:14 nin

I'm not sure if they've posted specs, but it seems very reasonable, from what people have said.

And yeah, I'm not sure what's up with his jacket shoulders, either.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2011, 10:46 sauron

I just checked out some of the gameplay for Deus Ex:Human Revolution on Youtube, looks good. Anyone know the specs on it?

Only downer in the footage I saw was the hero's clothing and gear. If fashion could speak, that outfit would be saying 'I am a Federal Agent. Also, I like Bauhaus'.

Kittens!

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo