Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

EA: Origin Accounts "May be Cancelled for Non-use"

A note in the Origin Terms of Service outlines conditions that may provoke Electronic Arts to delete user accounts from their fledgling online service, as the section on "Content and Entitlement Availability" reserves their right to delete accounts that have been inactive for 24 months. This caught the eye of Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and they have inquiries in to EA asking whether it is correct to think this means it will be possible to lose access to achievements, DLC, or even games as a result of this, but this has not yet inspired a response. Here's the wording of the clause in question:

Entitlements may only be held in Accounts belonging to legal residents of countries where access to and use of Content and Entitlements is permitted. Entitlements may be purchased or acquired only from EA or an authorized retailer. EA reserves the right to refuse your request(s) to acquire Entitlements, and EA reserves the right to limit or block any request to acquire Entitlements for any reason.

We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use. Once you have redeemed your Entitlements, that content is not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable for other Entitlements or for cash, or other goods or services.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 8, 2011, 07:00 Dev

Rockn-Roll wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 09:05:
Now all I need to do is not access it for 24 hours and EA will hopefully delete it.
24 MONTHS. I imagine if you contacted them and asked them to delete it they would do it sooner.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 6, 2011, 09:05 Rockn-Roll

I just got my email from EA saying that my EA account, which they have thrashed and modified several times already, is now called an Origin account. Now all I need to do is not access it for 24 hours and EA will hopefully delete it. Good riddance...my EA account has always been a nuisance anyway. The only reason I created it in the first place was to find help with their games that wouldn't work.

If I don't buy their games then I won't need their account...problem solved. But, I doubt that it will end there...they will most likely start sending me spam until I have to access their web site just to unsubscribe and then they will most likely consider that an access to their service and will not delete my account. EA/Origin might be very hard to wash off the gaming surface...hopefully with all the bad publicity no investors will want to give them any money and EA will eventually fold completely.

Let's Rock!

67. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 4, 2011, 11:51 JoeNapalm

Dev wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 11:33:
Verno wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 09:11:
Soon it's going to be all about who treats you well and offers decent prices/features because they're all going to be account based systems anyway.
That's an optimistic view. I think unless we get a serious contender to steam, we are looking more at each big game publishing company trying to do their own digital thing like origin (actiblizzard already has bnet, they might start having every activision title over there), and since people are going to have to suck it up to get the games they want if they aren't sold everywhere, it still won't be price/feature based.

No, they don't HAVE to.

I won't. I would buy BF3 and ME3 on Steam, but I refuse (based on prior experiences with EA) to participate in Origin. Since I can't even buy a boxed copy without having to use their online service, I simply won't buy them.

Frankly, there's enough good games out there that it's EAs loss, not mine.

This sort of strong-arm crap will continue, and get worse, until gamers realize that a goodie with a string attached is called bait.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

66. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 4, 2011, 11:50 avianflu

Another variation that we are "renting" a game from EA, rather than owning it. I wont be buying anything with an Origin account.

65. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 4, 2011, 11:33 Dev

Verno wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 09:11:
Soon it's going to be all about who treats you well and offers decent prices/features because they're all going to be account based systems anyway.
That's an optimistic view. I think unless we get a serious contender to steam, we are looking more at each big game publishing company trying to do their own digital thing like origin (actiblizzard already has bnet, they might start having every activision title over there), and since people are going to have to suck it up to get the games they want if they aren't sold everywhere, it still won't be price/feature based.

64. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 4, 2011, 09:11 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 20:05:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 18:59:
It almost hurts to say this, but consoles are looking like the only way you can ""own" your copy of the game nowadays.

Same issues arise there. All patches and DLC are through the network and an account. Many games have day-one patches that make them playable basically, like New Vegas, so playing without them would be a huge issue. Not to mention Microsoft have shown they will shut down all support for their consoles eventually, leaving players without continued access.

Also I would guess the next generation of consoles will use Steam-like game registration. I would be surprised if they didn't.

Pretty much everyone in the industry is going this route. Companies are making some half hearted comments about selling digital vouchers via Gamestop but the reality is that traditional retail is in serious trouble over the next three years.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

63. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 4, 2011, 04:44 KilrathiAce

Hey EA, you can take your origin and shove it you know where. The only good Origin was a developer back in 90s ran by chris roberts, stop witht his Origin crap.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

62. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 4, 2011, 01:35 Creston

That Steam TOS still sounds a lot less hostile to me than EA's crap.

It's "We may choose to terminate a part of a single purchase, or the entire purchase, and we may give you a stand-alone version in return."

(which to me seems to say that if they have a game they can no longer carry, they MAY give you a non-steam version instead.)

vs.

"After two years of inactivity, we WILL delete your stuff, and we may just decide to delete your entire account while we're at it."

(which is basically just EA being an asshole. Yet again. Because what reason is there to delete two year old accounts? Of course, this is EA—if they can save 42 cents on a database entry, to them that's probably pure fucking gold.)

Creston

61. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 4, 2011, 00:04 entr0py

necrosis wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 22:27:
I had a Steam account for almost 2 years before I actually used it. Registered when it first came out but didn't get my first Steam game (HL2) till years later. Did the same thing with Twitter. Had an account around when it came out, never used it till I got a iPhone.

Canning accounts if you don't use them on a service that is loaded with DRM? Achievements are moot. I lost my Quake Live account because I didn't use it for a while. Never got a notice or was warned it was going to nuked. Lost my achievement for playing the beta and enduring its teething issues. Bigcry

I haven't used my EA Downloader account since the Northern Strike booster pack for BF2142 5 years ago, and Origin still it and the BF2 booster packs my games list, ready for download. I think the lawyer types insert these clauses routinely to protect the company as much as possible. Even the Steam terms of service state that they can take your games at any time for any reason. If any digital distributor ACTUALLY behaved as badly as their lawyers permit them to, no one would use them.

Steam TOS:

C. Termination by Valve.
2. In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription (e.g., access to the software via Steam) and Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase.

60. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 22:27 necrosis

I had a Steam account for almost 2 years before I actually used it. Registered when it first came out but didn't get my first Steam game (HL2) till years later. Did the same thing with Twitter. Had an account around when it came out, never used it till I got a iPhone.

Canning accounts if you don't use them on a service that is loaded with DRM? Achievements are moot. I lost my Quake Live account because I didn't use it for a while. Never got a notice or was warned it was going to nuked. Lost my achievement for playing the beta and enduring its teething issues. Bigcry

59. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 21:09 OldScho0l

Note to self: Do NOT use Origin.

Good thing I didn't buy BF3 on Origin! I think that I stick with the physical purchases.

58. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 21:03 Dades

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 20:05:
Also I would guess the next generation of consoles will use Steam-like game registration. I would be surprised if they didn't.

The publishers aren't getting along with the console makers which is a good thing. Everyone wants to sell their own online pass and account systems but they don't want to give up any revenue to MS/Sony. That's about the only thing protecting console customers from complete lockin, they already are fucked on the hardware end.

57. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 20:36 Dev

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 20:00:
Dev wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 19:07:
It almost hurts to say this, but consoles are looking like the only way you can ""own" your copy of the game nowadays.
That's certainly not the case. You can get banned and stuff taken away on consoles too. In fact here's a hilarious page that where people lie and beg and try to get unbanned from xbox bans (its copied from official xbox forum) http://whywasibanned.com/
Or with PS3 lose access to stuff you bought for months when the online services went down, they took a bunch of games with them since some of them had extra DRM layered on top that made you login to PSN to play single player games.

That's only if you care about online multiplayer.

I should have added the caveat that I was looking at SP/LAN games.

^D^

Aaaand in that same post which you've quoted above, I mentioned cases where SP games people "owned" and were prevented from playing on a console since they had implemented additional layers of DRM onto a console SP game. In this case, it required PSN login to play the SP game, and when it was down, tough crap, you couldn't play the single player game you purchased and "owned"

56. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 20:05 StingingVelvet

Same issues arise there. All patches and DLC are through the network and an account. Many games have day-one patches that make them playable basically, like New Vegas, so playing without them would be a huge issue. Not to mention Microsoft have shown they will shut down all support for their consoles eventually, leaving players without continued access.

55. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 20:05 Rockn-Roll

I like playing the Harry Potter games...a decent change from my usual FPS fun. I noticed that the last HP game was out. But, due to the recent moves by EA to hurt gamers that use Steam I decided not to buy it...and I really wanted to too. I've purchased all the previous HP games...but apparently not going to play the last. EA sucks!!!

And, from now on EA will not see any of my money...and I don't care what game they are selling. It almost looks like the investors want to get their money back so EA is purposefully creating bad publicity so that they can file bankruptcy and have the government pay off the debts. I wish the US government had smart people running it because then they would have plenty of money to do what they were supposed to do in the beginning...which is to protect us from damages caused by bad people.

Let's Rock!

54. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 20:03 ^Drag0n^

Dave Rpri wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 19:40:
Im surprised it took this long...the one that stopped me cold was the very clear statement that 1 year after purchase they no longer have to provide you the game to download, regardless of your account status.

This pretty much guarantees I won't be buying SHIT from Origin/EA once this goes into effect. If this is true, it is the most abysmal abuse of a customer base I've ever seen go mainstream. The whole idea of cloud computing is to allow easier access, not DENY it.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

53. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 20:00 ^Drag0n^

Dev wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 19:07:
That's certainly not the case. You can get banned and stuff taken away on consoles too. In fact here's a hilarious page that where people lie and beg and try to get unbanned from xbox bans (its copied from official xbox forum) http://whywasibanned.com/
Or with PS3 lose access to stuff you bought for months when the online services went down, they took a bunch of games with them since some of them had extra DRM layered on top that made you login to PSN to play single player games.

That's only if you care about online multiplayer.

I should have added the caveat that I was looking at SP/LAN games.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

52. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 19:58 Beelzebud

This isn't surprising. Here is my experience with EA Store.

I bought Battlefield 2142 from them, and they proceeded to lock me out of the game after about 2 months of playing it. Emailing didn't work, and even calling their support line remedied nothing. The only time I got to play that game was when Dice finally released a patch for it that removed the DRM. I wouldn't trust any EA service with anything after that. How is that not criminal? Pay 50 dollars for a game that they just lock you out of...

51. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 19:42 MajorD

THE WHOLE CAPITALISTIC-GREED-RIDDEN INDUSTRY NEEDS A F’ING ENEMA!!!!

50. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 19:40 Dave Rpri

Im surprised it took this long...the one that stopped me cold was the very clear statement that 1 year after purchase they no longer have to provide you the game to download, regardless of your account status.  

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo