Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Announced

Gearbox Software tweets a confirmation of yesterday's indications that Borderlands 2 is in development. The official Borderlands 2 Website is online, offering a bit on plans for the role-playing shooter sequel, and saying it is expected between April 2012 and March 2013. Here's word:

New York, NY – August 3, 2011 – 2K Games and Gearbox Software announced today that the sequel to the extravasplosive breakout hit, Borderlands™, is currently in development at world-renowned developer Gearbox Software. Coming to the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC during Take-Two's fiscal year 2013 beginning on April 1, 2012, Borderlands 2 is the epic sequel to the ultimate four-player Role-Playing Shooter loot fest. Combining invention and evolution, Borderlands 2 features all new characters, skills, environments, enemies, weapons and equipment, which come together in an ambitiously crafted story. Players will reveal secrets, and escalate mysteries of the Borderlands universe as they adventure across the unexplored new areas of Pandora.

2K Games and Gearbox Software are taking this show on the road, and fans and media will be able to get their first look at the game at Gamescom 2011 from August 17 – August 21, and at PAX Prime (Booth #3417) from August 26 – August 28. Eager gamers can learn more about Borderlands 2 right now by picking up the latest issue of Game Informer Magazine, which has the worldwide exclusive cover story on the title. Readers will find many game details inside the issue, including the first reveal of one of the several new character classes being introduced in Borderlands 2.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

67. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 5, 2011, 08:54 Verno

I could have lived with the UI stuff alone but there were so many problems at release it just kind of boggles the mind how it got released, particularly when Pitchford claimed the PC had its own separate dev team, UI and QA teams.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 5, 2011, 00:59 xXBatmanXx

Krovven wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 18:03:
All the UI stuff mentioned here is true and still to this day. None of it ever got fixed.

So when people say they held off for awhile before playing Borderlands and didn't have issues...you just didn't notice them.

The only thing I think that did get fixed was multiplayer port issue. UI weirdness never got touched, and the mic problems were never fixed either. Friends and I all just disabled the in-game voice in the config files and used Steam voice instead.

Batman, hit me up one of these days and we'll start up a game and I'll show you the UI menu's that are not consistent with the rest.

One of my favorites is the mouse wheel not working on the Friends list when trying to invite someone.

See, it worked, but it wasn't how we wanted it - that shit doesn't really bother me. I know everything you guys speak of - it just didn't ruin the game for me. I pointed out the things that bothered me...the IU stuff is just a "duh"' since it was ported from xbox. Didn't make the game any less good to me.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

65. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 4, 2011, 22:26 Creston

My absolute favorite UI piece of shit is in vending machines where if you move the cursor around with the keyboard, you can't then use the mouse to confirm something, and vice versa.

Start with keyboard, end with keyboard. Start with mouse, end with mouse. How that makes sense to ANYONE, even Randy Fucking Pitchford, is incomprehensible.

Creston

64. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 4, 2011, 19:52 Dades

Krovven wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 18:03:
So when people say they held off for awhile before playing Borderlands and didn't have issues...you just didn't notice them.

People had issues other than the UI and waiting did solve some of them. Waiting also had the benefit of community fixes for some of the other crap.

63. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 4, 2011, 18:31 PHJF

Actually they did add a fifth line to weapon descriptions.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

62. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 4, 2011, 18:03 Krovven

All the UI stuff mentioned here is true and still to this day. None of it ever got fixed.

The only thing I think that did get fixed was multiplayer port issue. UI weirdness never got touched, and the mic problems were never fixed either. Friends and I all just disabled the in-game voice in the config files and used Steam voice instead.

Batman, hit me up one of these days and we'll start up a game and I'll show you the UI menu's that are not consistent with the rest.

One of my favorites is the mouse wheel not working on the Friends list when trying to invite someone.

61. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 4, 2011, 12:29 Creston

PHJF wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 12:18:
The best thing about the Borderlands UI was how item descriptions only had four lines when many items used five, LOL. Great job playtesting, douchebags.

Well, the Xbox couldn't display more at a time... What's poor Gearbox to do?

Creston

60. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 4, 2011, 12:18 PHJF

The best thing about the Borderlands UI was how item descriptions only had four lines when many items used five, LOL. Great job playtesting, douchebags.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

59. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 4, 2011, 09:41 nin

the UI had broken bits and

I didn't have any issues

A lot of other people did.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

58. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 4, 2011, 08:57 Verno

Are you serious? Borderlands has one of the worst UIs ever.
It's as if they completely forgot what a mouse was while porting that thing to the PC.

The Borderlands UI was a total disaster. Please hit Page Up to scroll. Escape works in this screen but not this one. Enter to confirm here but not here, use E instead. Sometimes Spacebar too. Mouse wheel works here and here but not here. Sprinting resets your whole FoV by design! It should be one of those things showcased in school on how to avoid making obvious UI mistakes.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

57. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 4, 2011, 06:36 yuastnav

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 01:03:
[...]

I didn't have any issues
[...]

Are you serious? Borderlands has one of the worst UIs ever.
It's as if they completely forgot what a mouse was while porting that thing to the PC.

56. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 4, 2011, 01:03 xXBatmanXx

The voice comms didn't work

Never used it even when it did work.

, multiplayer was completely hosed,

Completely is a bad term to use. You could get it to work.

I didn't have any issues

there was a game save corruption bug that lasted a month.

Never had an issue.

My experience was not unique, as yours was not as well.

Oh well.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

55. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 20:58 Dades

Otherwise it was pretty decent out of the box.

It was really fucked up out of the box, I don't know what game you played. The voice comms didn't work, multiplayer was completely hosed, the UI had broken bits and there was a game save corruption bug that lasted a month. There was a bunch of subjectively shitty things they needed to fix too like the level scaling system that they never really patched and just fixed in DLC. Borderlands was playable but only in the sense that it wouldn't crash a lot. I waited a good five months for all of the fixes to roll in and I'm glad I did because it was horseshit at release. Maybe people should be a bit more forgiving because it was a big risk for them to take, a new multiplatform brand with a lot riding on the console sales but they shouldn't ignore the past either.

54. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 20:13 xXBatmanXx

I liked the game well enough but the PC release really jerked a lot of people around. I didn't even touch it until months later when the fans had fixed most of the shit up and I was a lot happier. I think a lot of the rage comes from people who got it at release.

The only "omfg wtf" was trying to get the game to work over the nets. Otherwise it was pretty decent out of the box. Secondly, the "you just got all the missions for the whole game cause you connected to someone that has them" out of the box sucked as well....

But, I waited and then came back to it - and enjoyed it immensely.

53. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 19:51 Alamar

Beamer wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 14:38:
Saying something doesn't exist when it does exist is pretty common. Often you just don't want to talk about something yet. You want to control the conversation some and you don't want to get accused of "hyping" too soon. Other times something exists but doesn't really exist - perhaps it's in such a raw state that it's little more than a concept, or perhaps the funding isn't really there and you can't say with any really conviction that it'll get released.
This is when you deny. Or "no comment." Or "of course we'd love to do XYZ, but for the time being we're not announcing anything."

Making a comment about shoddy journalism when that journalism is right, though, seems insane.

Some great points, but being right doesn't make shoddy journalism not shoddy : )

Also need to consider that a lot of these companies are public.. Until private/sensitive information that could change stock prices has been officially announced, employees are legally obliged to deny rumors...

As for the game, I am highly looking forward to it... I have enjoyed (and gotten more time out of) Borderlands more than any non-massive in the last 5-10 years...

-Alamar

52. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 16:30 Dades

Confirming your sources is the first thing a "journalist" is supposed to do so they don't publish incorrect information.

They don't need him to comment on the record if their sources are solid. If they double sourced it then they don't need any comment or official word. Doing so is a courtesy, not a requirement. In fact if you're breaking a large story that's time sensitive it doesn't make any sense to do so. I don't see any text linking his comment to their old quotes either. Their editor should have caught that before the article went up but it doesn't mean the rest of the story wasn't solid journalism. The shoddy journalism I see happened long after when everyone decided to pick up the story with that quote intact without doing their own work.

Pitchford comes off as a whiny idiot who is upset that it got scooped. From his position thats understandable but you don't say that even on informal places like Twitter. You have your own PR take care of it. Eurogamer shouldn't have used an old quote but that doesn't change the fact that they were right and we don't know how they sourced the story.

There is a community fix that was avail on release day......

Lots of hate in here for Borderlands....I played the hell out of it and still enjoy jumping in with friends. Looking forward to more of the same if that is what it is....

I liked the game well enough but the PC release really jerked a lot of people around. I didn't even touch it until months later when the fans had fixed most of the shit up and I was a lot happier. I think a lot of the rage comes from people who got it at release.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2011, 16:36.

51. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 16:21 Krovven

Dades wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 15:54:
Where does he say that? I'm looking at his tweet right now and it says

http://twitter.com/#!/DuvalMagic/status/98529291117133824

I have long maintained that we will do more with Borderlands. Shoddy journalism is not an announcement.

It seems more like hes just pissed off because his secret got leaked, I don't see any text about how the story was reported or specific quotes.

Clearly you didn't read my posts at all. Try Post #37.

Pitchford did not lie in his tweet, which was contradictory to what Verno said in post #17.

Confirming your sources is the first thing a "journalist" is supposed to do so they don't publish incorrect information. Eurogamer's "quotes" were old and not made with regards to the news they were posting, they also did not try and contact Gearbox for a comment or to confirm the rumor. This is shoddy journalism no matter how you want to spin it.

And yes, as I stated several times, Pitchford opening his yap about this, is just because he was pissed it got leaked.

50. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 16:17 Jdrez

If they get rid of the endless respawning of the same enemies at the same spots every ten minutes for eternity, add some variety and cut down on the horrible repetition, I might play this one for more than an hour.

49. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 16:15 xXBatmanXx

Sempai wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 12:09:
Would you do me a favor Gearbox? Could you please spend more time on the console versions this time around and simply port 2 to the PC with fucked up FoV(which you will never patch)along with a plethora of half-assed ported issues? Thx guys! I have faith in you!

..Ya fuckin tools.

There is a community fix that was avail on release day......

Lots of hate in here for Borderlands....I played the hell out of it and still enjoy jumping in with friends. Looking forward to more of the same if that is what it is....

48. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 15:54 Dades

Pitchfords claim is they lied to support their news story (shoddy journalism), not that they got the information incorrect.

Where does he say that? I'm looking at his tweet right now and it says

http://twitter.com/#!/DuvalMagic/status/98529291117133824

I have long maintained that we will do more with Borderlands. Shoddy journalism is not an announcement.

It seems more like hes just pissed off because his secret got leaked, I don't see any text about how the story was reported or specific quotes.

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo