Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access

Following the revelation of some U.S. retail preorder bonuses for Battlefield 3, the Origin Website reveals the bonuses for preordering the military shooter sequel from EA's online service, including access to the game's open (as in closed) beta test, along with the Physical Warfare Pack, the Back to Karkand expansion, and some exclusive items for Battlefield Play4Free. Here's word on the beta and preloads through Origin:

Open Beta for Battlefield 3 (Origin Exclusive)

Players who pre-order the game from Origin will be granted early access to the Open Beta for Battlefield 3 when it goes live in September 2011.

Pre-load and Get Ready to Play at Launch

Pre-order the PC Digital version of Battlefield 3 Limited Edition through Origin to preload your game before it launches. Preloading insures means you can play the minute Battlefield 3 releases instead of waiting to install.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 18:26 Teddy

Verno wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 09:28:
Battlelog isn't godawful or anything, it has basically everything that the BC2 browser did. That being said its still launching a game through the web browser which feels like adding an extra (unnecessary) step to getting into the game itself. It requires installation of two plugins which I'm not a fan of either, I don't want EA/Valve/whoever having any form of plugin in my web browser as they cannot be trusted. It's also married to the EA backend which is very problematic considering EAs limited support for many of their online titles and goes against their claimed support for platform agnostic solutions. Implementation left a lot to be desired in alpha too - launching BF3 via Origin launched Battlelog which launched Origin again when you chose a server. You couldn't even run BF3.exe standalone as people claim is possible with Origin, hopefully that's just an alpha limitation but answers like the above make me a bit weary.

It may or may not be a deal breaker for a lot of people but I suspect a fair number of people still want their in-game server browsers on the PC which is this titles lead SKU. They would do well to heed that.

Pretty much. It's no deal breaker for me, but it's certainly annoying. It worked very well for what it was, but I don't like having to run it just to run my game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 12:43 Teddy

cansser wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 10:55:
eunichron wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 23:28:
Rattlehead wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 20:14:
The alpha was supposedly only running DX9 and locked at low settings (or at least settings lower than maximum). My only complaint with the graphics was that they were kind of bland, hopefully that changes with DX11 and higher settings, but even at DX9 it looked pretty damn good.

Actually you could press esc and go into the settings menu and change the graphics to high. It even detected my 3 monitors so it works perfectly with eyefinity.

You could change the words, but there were no graphical differences between low and high in the alpha.

33. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 10:55 MEAHT

The alpha was supposedly only running DX9 and locked at low settings (or at least settings lower than maximum). My only complaint with the graphics was that they were kind of bland, hopefully that changes with DX11 and higher settings, but even at DX9 it looked pretty damn good.

Actually you could press esc and go into the settings menu and change the graphics to high. It even detected my 3 monitors so it works perfectly with eyefinity.

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 10:33 JoeNapalm

I have absolutely no interest in Origin.

BF3? Sure.

But not if I'm forced to participate in EA's Steam-wannabe simply to play the game.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 10:13 MattyC

Hopefully the online service for BF3 is better than it was for Bad Company 2. That thing was a nightmare to get 2 people online from the same location. The worst part is, it wasn't even a client to server issue. It was dropping from EA's servers!  

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 09:28 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 00:13:

I'm going by this fabulously slippery answer from yesterday:

@Demize99 @zh1nt0 will we be able to play the final game without having to use a web browser?

@ChrisSchewanick Battelog is an integral feature to the Battlefield 3 experience on the PC.

http://twitter.com/#!/Demize99/statuses/97951424561942528

Battlelog isn't godawful or anything, it has basically everything that the BC2 browser did. That being said its still launching a game through the web browser which feels like adding an extra (unnecessary) step to getting into the game itself. It requires installation of two plugins which I'm not a fan of either, I don't want EA/Valve/whoever having any form of plugin in my web browser as they cannot be trusted. It's also married to the EA backend which is very problematic considering EAs limited support for many of their online titles and goes against their claimed support for platform agnostic solutions. Implementation left a lot to be desired in alpha too - launching BF3 via Origin launched Battlelog which launched Origin again when you chose a server. You couldn't even run BF3.exe standalone as people claim is possible with Origin, hopefully that's just an alpha limitation but answers like the above make me a bit weary.

It may or may not be a deal breaker for a lot of people but I suspect a fair number of people still want their in-game server browsers on the PC which is this titles lead SKU. They would do well to heed that.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2011, 09:34.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 06:57 Bhruic

If there's a free beta, how exactly is this a origins bonus?

There's going to be a closed beta, and then an open beta. Origin bonus gets you into the closed beta.

28. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 05:28 Dev

Esoteric wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 03:57:
I was in the alpha and liked what I saw. I will play the beta and decide. I will most likely be purchasing BF3. I will not be purchasing COD.
If you have to pre-order from origin to get beta, how are you going to decide after you buy it to play beta? If there's a free beta, how exactly is this a origins bonus?

Even if its leaked, its doubtful any leak is going to be multiplayer capable.

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 03:57 Esoteric

I was in the alpha and liked what I saw. I will play the beta and decide. I will most likely be purchasing BF3. I will not be purchasing COD.  

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 03:08 Teddy

elefunk wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 02:03:
From the second that Origin was announced I never expected it to be anything less than what Steamworks is for Valve games. Origin is *the* friends list, *the* server browser, *the* community integration, and more. It doesn't make sense that you would require a web browser to launch the game, that would be pretty stupid even by EA's standards. It'll be integrated right with the game. Much like how Steamworks uses a web browser for much of its stuff in-game and out-of-game.

Like it, hate it, whatever, but that's almost certainly what it'll be. And personally for me, I'd rather have a fully integrated system like that than some Gamespy shit or half-baked EA account system that Bad Company 2 had.

It wasn't in the alpha though. Your friends list on the Battlelog was not the friends you had in Origin, nor was the browser part of Origin. It loaded the game through Origin after you'd selected a server through the website and opted to join. Friends on origin didn't show up in Battlelog, and vice versa.

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 02:36 Jackplug

I rather it be integrated with steam, I have all my friends on it and I'm not wanting to move my elegance to Origin at anytime, Im very happy with steam and not wanting to move anywhere. If I have to have it running while BF3 is running then fine, after that its gonna be turned off.

What has annoyed me is they are offering extra fire power, wtf. Already they are trying to buy ppl by giving them better weapons. Thing is they are offering this at 39.99, Limited Edition on Play.com is 32.99(you get exclusive Dog tags). I rather play the game through and get them weapons as I progress than do it that way, in a way its taking part of the game away.

ps. I ordered mine since BF3 was open to be pre-ordered & paid for at 29.99 and my order has been upgraded now to the new pack which is offered at 32.99 so Im happy.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2011, 02:52.

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 02:03 elefunk

From the second that Origin was announced I never expected it to be anything less than what Steamworks is for Valve games. Origin is *the* friends list, *the* server browser, *the* community integration, and more. It doesn't make sense that you would require a web browser to launch the game, that would be pretty stupid even by EA's standards. It'll be integrated right with the game. Much like how Steamworks uses a web browser for much of its stuff in-game and out-of-game.

Like it, hate it, whatever, but that's almost certainly what it'll be. And personally for me, I'd rather have a fully integrated system like that than some Gamespy shit or half-baked EA account system that Bad Company 2 had.

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 00:57 zirik

SirKnight wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 21:34:
I've never had a problem with Amazon's release day delivery. Maybe it's because I have Amazon Prime?

you must have not had the pleasure of dealing with lasership. amazon's other shipping company on the east coast. the lazy fucks at lasership are illiterate fools who cant understand what overnight or 2-day shipping means. they sit on a package for 3-5 days before deciding to move it out of their warehouse. their tracking website is like the USPS, its never up to date. the worst part is even if you are a prime member, amazon does not give you the option to choose which shipping company to use for 2-day or overnight shipping. more often than not if it ships out of their pennsylvania warehouse it most likely will be carried by lasership.

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 00:20 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 00:13:

@Demize99 @zh1nt0 will we be able to play the final game without having to use a web browser?

@ChrisSchewanick Battelog is an integral feature to the Battlefield 3 experience on the PC.

Nice catch, and nice shady answer on the topic. I hate when people simply refuse to say the word "No."

Guess I should have known better than to trust them. :/

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 00:13 jacobvandy

Teddy wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 00:09:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 00:00:
No matter what, you have to launch the game from the Battlelog website anyway.

That was just for the purposes of the alpha, and will likely be the same for the beta. They confirmed a while back that the game will have the browser and whatnot integrated for those who didn't want to use Battlelog.

Whether they hold to that is another question, but they said it.

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 00:09 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 00:00:
No matter what, you have to launch the game from the Battlelog website anyway.

That was just for the purposes of the alpha, and will likely be the same for the beta. They confirmed a while back that the game will have the browser and whatnot integrated for those who didn't want to use Battlelog.

Whether they hold to that is another question, but they said it.

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 00:00 jacobvandy

There will be an OPEN beta, just like they had with Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor. You don't have to pre-order to try the game before it's released. I would guess that the people who bought MOH and the people that pre-order BF3 on Origin will get to start playing the beta like a week before everyone else. It's a pretty stupid "exclusive bonus" they're offering because they didn't save anything for themselves.

I was considering buying from Origin because for a while it sounded like that'd be the only way to get the Physical Warfare pack, but I'll just order retail from GameStop. No matter what, you have to launch the game from the Battlelog website anyway.

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 2, 2011, 23:53 eunichron

entr0py wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 23:43:
Been playing the alpha, great fun and runs on my laptop smoothly.

I don't think that's true. They're not making a DX9 version at all, why would they create one just for testing? The few people running XP who got invites were bitching on the forums about it not working for them.

Besides, it seemed like DX10+ effects were a core part of gameplay. Like the blurring from suppression or the blinding glare from sniper scopes and laser sights. I don't think DX9 could force the sort of effects I saw. And if you could turn them off that would be a cheat.

Yes, of course, DX10, that's what I meant to say Goofy . I know the PC engine is DX11 base with some compatibility for DX10, but the point remains, it will/should look significantly better in beta/release, and probably be a bit more of a hog.

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 2, 2011, 23:53 Zuckuss

http://play-sc.com/Battlefield-3-PC-Download-Origin-Key.html legit?  

16. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 2, 2011, 23:43 entr0py

Been playing the alpha, great fun and runs on my laptop smoothly.

I don't think that's true. They're not making a DX9 version at all, why would they create one just for testing? The few people running XP who got invites were bitching on the forums about it not working for them.

Besides, it seemed like DX10+ effects were a core part of gameplay. Like the blurring from suppression or the blinding glare from sniper scopes and laser sights. I don't think DX9 could force the sort of effects I saw. And if you could turn them off that would be a cheat.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo