Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Patched

Steam News announces the release of a new patch to automatically update Duke Nukem Forever, among other things, providing the promised inventory update that allows Duke to carry four weapons at once in the single-player campaign. The new version also adds the Valve anti-cheat system, tweakable FOV, makes VOIP push-to-talk, and more to Gearbox's shooter sequel. The full change list follows.

• 4-weapon inventory option in single player campaign
  • MP Server favorites
  • Dedicated server overhaul
  • FOV can be modified
  • Change VOIP to push-to-talk (bandwidth fix)
  • VAC anti-cheat system enabled
  • Support for Japanese Steam IDís for PC release in Japan
  • Auto-aim fix
  • Blood effects on surfaces behind enemies when shot
  • Steam.exe no longer uses an unusually high amount of CPU
  • Texture quality improvements
  • Fixes to prevent single player and multiplayer save data corruption
  • Leaderboard exploit fixed
  • AMD Dual-Core Optimizer no longer automatically installed (fixes rare bugs with Intel processors)
  • Crash/compatibility fixes and other minor bugs

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 4, 2011, 04:36 Jerykk

Didn't they explicitly state that that was what was already in the game, so they just went with it? Wasn't it 3DR that made the decision, and their rationale (for the 2 weapons) was because they couldn't find a system for more that worked with consoles?

Possibly. I highly doubt that they couldn't find a solution for having more than 2 weapons with a gamepad. Radial menus have been around for a while. I think it's far more likely that they just looked at the top-selling shooters and decided to take their design choices. DNF was very obviously inspired by HL2, which was probably the top-selling shooter when 3DRealms was still working on the game. Then they decided to throw in health regen and 2 weapon limits because Halo and CoD do it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 19:16 FreonTrip

Bhruic wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 10:13:
Anyway, Gearbox explicitly stated that they went with regenerating health and a 2 weapon limit simply because those are modern standards

Didn't they explicitly state that that was what was already in the game, so they just went with it? Wasn't it 3DR that made the decision, and their rationale (for the 2 weapons) was because they couldn't find a system for more that worked with consoles?

George Broussard talked about considering the two weapon system all the way back in 2003 on Shack News. For better or worse, Gearbox just stayed true to the original vision.

17. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 10:59 Jay

Hehe, I wouldn't be surprised if the idea for regenerating health and 2 weapon limits came from Trespasser and not modern shooters. DNF has been in development long enough to be inspired from it.  

16. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 10:13 Bhruic

Anyway, Gearbox explicitly stated that they went with regenerating health and a 2 weapon limit simply because those are modern standards

15. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 08:09 Veinman

I beat the game yesterday, before the patch came out. The game sucks, to put it bluntly. Sure, there are some good things about it, but they made a fatal error turning it into Duke Nukem meets Halo.

They should have embraced the old style of gameplay.

14. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 05:08 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 04:44:
He said rapid weapon cycling, not just weapon cycling. Sure, a gamepad can use a radial menu to accommodate more than 2 weapons but that's still not as quick as hotkeys.
You CAN switch weapons fast with a controller. But like you said it, the two weapon limits has nothing to do with technical boundaries, only with mimicking the game design of the chart leader.

13. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 04:44 Jerykk

Why do you think a controller could not handle weapon cycling?

He said rapid weapon cycling, not just weapon cycling. Sure, a gamepad can use a radial menu to accommodate more than 2 weapons but that's still not as quick as hotkeys.

Anyway, Gearbox explicitly stated that they went with regenerating health and a 2 weapon limit simply because those are modern standards. In other words, if Call of Duty does it, so does everyone else. Really irritates me when developers make design choices based solely on what the top-selling games do, rather than look at each design choice and consider it within the context of their own game.

12. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 04:18 Esoteric

I still find it hard to believe that anyone bought this abomination in the first place.  

11. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 03:05 Beaner

mag wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 01:31:
That's just the way games are, these days, for a couple of reasons. Console gamepads can't handle rapid weapon cycling, and the new push toward "realism" means that devs don't feel like they can justify a single man walking around with fifteen guns.

I find that mentality silly. Unless its some super realistic army shooter its a frickin game with aliens and a shrink gun. Lol devs these days.

10. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 02:58 Wallshadows

Is this the patch which makes the game fun?

(crickets)

Oh come on, they're both about the same age and therefor relevant.

9. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 02:09 Kajetan

mag wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 01:31:
That's just the way games are, these days, for a couple of reasons. Console gamepads can't handle rapid weapon cycling, and the new push toward "realism" means that devs don't feel like they can justify a single man walking around with fifteen guns.
And thats the reason DNF is such a great disappointment. Trying to be every shooter out there instead of being just a Duke Nukem game.

8. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 02:02 Kosumo

Console gamepads can't handle rapid weapon cycling,

Yes they can, they just choose not too. (to keep the controls simple for non hardcore players)

Why do you think a controller could not handle weapon cycling?

7. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 01:31 mag

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 01:24:
I never really paid any attention to the game after giving up years ago. *despite being initially extremely excited about it*

But did anyone ever officially state "why" they put in a 2 weapon limit originally?

I'm just curious as to what the actual basis was for doing so, whose idea it was, and why the decision wasn't overridden by anybody that actually used their brain for half a second to question it by saying "Wait....what?!" The limit just seemed to make no actual logical sense in any way, shape, or form whatsoever.

6. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 01:24 JohnBirshire

I never really paid any attention to the game after giving up years ago. *despite being initially extremely excited about it*

But did anyone ever officially state "why" they put in a 2 weapon limit originally?

I'm just curious as to what the actual basis was for doing so, whose idea it was, and why the decision wasn't overridden by anybody that actually used their brain for half a second to question it by saying "Wait....what?!" The limit just seemed to make no actual logical sense in any way, shape, or form whatsoever.

5. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 00:41 the_culture

makes VOIP push-to-talk

What is it with Gearbox and their unholy aversion to push-to-talk!?

4. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 3, 2011, 00:22 FreonTrip

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 23:25:
Wonder what the improved textures means...

The bumpmaps seem sharper. There's definitely a visible improvement with high texture detail, though I haven't tried on lower settings because... well, why would I? Performance all-around seems to have improved, even on my not-so-studly Athlon X2 5050e HTPC with 2 gigs DDR2-667 and a 512 MB GeForce 9600GT. Say what you will about the game (and a lot of it's deserved), but I wish more first patches offered this kind of improvement.

3. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 2, 2011, 23:57 wtf_man

Kosumo wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 23:41:
Did anyone get the collectors edition with Duke Nukem KY Jelly?

WTF you talking about? You don't get any LUBE with the collectors edition... you get a "Heavy Metal Duke Tickler"... with stainless steel balls and Iron Maiden... uh... "ticklers". Freak

2. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 2, 2011, 23:41 Kosumo

Did anyone get the collectors edition with Duke Nukem KY Jelly?  

1. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 2, 2011, 23:25 StingingVelvet

Wonder what the improved textures means...  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo