Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon?

Gearbox Software is now developing Borderlands 2, reports Eurogamer, though the site is coy about the source of this, saying this is what it "understands." They say they've "heard" 2K Games will be announcing the role-playing shooter sequel soon, and that a "source close to the game" tells them the game is expected next year for Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

63. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 3, 2011, 11:10 Creston

Slashman wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 19:30:
I find it interesting that people think Borderlands 2 has a chance of being a less consolized mess than 1.

I distinctly remember a Gearbox guy telling PC gamers that they should be quiet and appreciate what they have been given because the industry isn't exactly focused on them, in response to complaints on their forums.

Scraps are what you're likely to get...

That's fine, I can wait for 6 months until the game hits a 10 dollar sale. If scraps is all they'll give us, then pennies is all they'll get.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 3, 2011, 11:09 Creston

PHJF wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 18:14:
IIRC you should find one pearlescent for every 30 Craw runs. Here are the specifics from the wiki:

Pearlescent (Sometimes referred to as Cyan) weapons/items are a confirmed rarity type encountered exclusively in the third DLC, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx.[1] They can be dropped by Crawmerax the Invincible, bosses during This Bitch is Payback, Badass Bruisers, Lance Pyros, Badass Engineers, Drifters, on rare occasions can be found by opening Crimson Lance chests, and even less commonly by the occupants of Lancers

I farmed him quite a lot more than that (though always solo, so that may have something to do with it...), and I've murdered untold amounts of Badass Bruisers, Pyros, Engineers, etc. Never got one.

To be honest, I never actually checked the drifters' loot... Shit, one of those may have dropped one.

Creston

61. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 3, 2011, 05:41 Xirgu

PHJF wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 11:54:
Sniper rifles are undoubtedly the weakest weapons in the game, next to rocket launchers. Snipers are ironically best with a revolver. A high-end masher will obliterate anything. SMGs are the best weapons overall, especially on a siren where her fire rate goes absolutely through the roof.
Sniper rifles are soooo much fun in SP...especially with the heavy elemental burning effects and the area explosion on crit effects.. and once you get used to it nearly every shot is a headshot.. played this to death with all DLCs and 2 playthroughs with a sniper character. elemental blast was clearing areas with a single headshot and volcano gave enemies a mile away free dancing lessons btw for people that didnt enjoy play2, wastelands, and just going around without doing specific plot quests was very enjoyable.

60. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 3, 2011, 02:11 Tomas

Not sure if all the Borderlands hate is from early players or not, but it was and is one of my favorite games from the last few years. We played the crap out of that thing coop. Granted we didn't try it out until long after it had released so we probably missed the major issues that everyone hated. Yes, there were still annoying consolifications and other such things, but it was amazing fun with a few buddies. It is to date one of the only games in my 25 or so years of gaming that I've played through a second time. Super excited for Borderlands 2. Hopefully they'll fix what sucked on PC and then just make it more of the same awesome.

Funny thing was I really didn't have any interest in it until I picked it up on a whim during the summer steam sale last year. Before that I'd always just more or less ignored it. SO glad we grabbed it during that sale. I have 105 hours logged according to steam.

59. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 19:38 RaZ0r!

I knew I saved some of the DLC's for something. To kill time while I wait for Borderlands 2!  

58. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 19:30 Slashman

I find it interesting that people think Borderlands 2 has a chance of being a less consolized mess than 1.

I distinctly remember a Gearbox guy telling PC gamers that they should be quiet and appreciate what they have been given because the industry isn't exactly focused on them, in response to complaints on their forums.

Scraps are what you're likely to get...

57. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 19:02 [VG]Reagle

When Rage comes out I hear they are going to name it "Borderlands 2".  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

56. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 18:14 PHJF

IIRC you should find one pearlescent for every 30 Craw runs. Here are the specifics from the wiki:

Pearlescent (Sometimes referred to as Cyan) weapons/items are a confirmed rarity type encountered exclusively in the third DLC, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx.[1] They can be dropped by Crawmerax the Invincible, bosses during This Bitch is Payback, Badass Bruisers, Lance Pyros, Badass Engineers, Drifters, on rare occasions can be found by opening Crimson Lance chests, and even less commonly by the occupants of Lancers

Steam + PSN: PHJF

55. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 18:07 Creston

PHJF wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 18:00:
The campaign boss was never a good place for loot. The best loot is from chests. The only mob that drops good loot is crawmerax but he is incredibly difficult/time consuming if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Knoxx also added Pearlescent weapons which show up on the ground as a teal color. They're ridiculously rare and can only drop from specific minibosses in the Knoxx campaign and from Crawmerax himself.

I've never had one drop, and I farmed Crawmerax for quite awhile. Plus I've done probably 100 Knoxx runs.

Looking at the stats, they're not even that much better than what I have now, so they're not really even worth it, sadly.

Creston

54. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 18:00 PHJF

The campaign boss was never a good place for loot. The best loot is from chests. The only mob that drops good loot is crawmerax but he is incredibly difficult/time consuming if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Knoxx also added Pearlescent weapons which show up on the ground as a teal color. They're ridiculously rare and can only drop from specific minibosses in the Knoxx campaign and from Crawmerax himself.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

53. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 17:48 Creston

Fifth wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 16:39:
Toss grenades in his gaping maw whenever he opens it - I think it's the only time where I've seen grenades do crits.

It doesn't matter. I'd shoot him with my 12x220 shotgun in his maw, and every pellet did a critical, so we're talking like 12x4000 damage or so. It wouldn't even remove the tiniest sliver off his health bar.

My Volcano does 45000 damage on a critical in his eye, and I can fire off 120 rounds and have removed MAYBE 5% of his health.

It's funny that people think Borderlands has crappy level design, since I personally thought that was one of the better features of the game (especially in the DLCs.)

Creston

52. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 16:58 TurdFergasun

Techie714 © wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 10:54:

I agree with Cutter I did not really like the game either but I absolutely LOVED the art style & wished they would have done
a western type shooter like "outlaws" in that art style.

QFT

very pretty, but totally pointless.

51. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 16:39 Fifth

Krovven wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 14:42:
- Better looking, less barren world (don't use desert landscape, or at least have a variety), drop the vehicles, or at least make them fun and control better.
Drop tables, vehicle controls, and uninspired levels bugged me the most about Borderlands. The person at Bungie who designed the vehicle controls for Halo should be shot, and the person at Gearbox who came up with the idea of using the same vehicle controls as Halo should be severely reprimanded.

Hell, I have my own list of things I want:
  • More ways to customize your character's visual appearance
  • A place to stash your loot should be in the base game instead of having to buy DLC for the privilege
  • Larger variety of enemies - reskins don't count
  • Missions should be actual missions and not fetch quests or kill X number of enemies

• Creston wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 14:26:
    Yeah it was ridiculous. Especially in PT2 he's so absurd. He literally has like 500 million hitpoints. He can barely damage me, yet I have to sit there for 40 minutes firing into his fucking eyeball, only to have him drop 30 items, of which 25 are fucking ammo (as if to say "HAHAHAHAA YOU NEEDED THAT EARLIER, HUH??") 4 of them are white, and one's green. :-pissed-:
    Toss grenades in his gaping maw whenever he opens it - I think it's the only time where I've seen grenades do crits.

50. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 15:09 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 14:45:
    If you level up your Sniper rifle skill you get zero sway and perfect aim so you'll never miss.

Hey, us old people do!

You can literally sit there spamming no-scope headers that hit for massive damage and AOE like crazy. I have a very high end one I'll have to show you sometime. Volcano is good too, I use it a lot against energy resistant mobs.

Okay, to be fair I never use a sniper rifle without the scope. Seems odd somehow. I do the "line up, zoom, fire, unzoom, line up, zoom, fire, unzoom" routine.

But I rarely bother trying to aim for the head. Mostly because with a lot of the monsters, it's kinda hard to hit their heads anyway, because the claws or whatever get in the way.

Creston

49. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 15:02 Krovven

Tumbler wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 14:48:
    Awesome SMG, acccuracy is shit.

Accuracy isn't a big issue on SMG's with the various Siren skills, and as a Siren you are often in close range of your enemies anyways. So it makes for some great in your face shredding of enemies. Last night we were doing Moxxi's and by the end of each set, I (Siren + SMG) was doubling the kills my buddy had as a Soldier with Rifle and Pistol.

Just keep a high accuracy SMG for when you need some ranged accuracy.

I'm currently using 3 different SMG's and a Sniper Rifle, with a Shock Shotgun to help with the Guardians shields.

48. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 14:48 Tumbler

Borderlands 2 would be very cool.

Still playing through Borderlands. I'm about 30 hours in and Lvl 27 or 28 and I think I hit a wall. The enemies haven't changed much lately so it's feeling a little routine. Still love seeing all the different weapons. I like that so many weapons have something that makes them unique / balanced. I keep picking up sniper rifles with awesome stats but they have a 1.0x zoom scope... Or a shotgon that looks amazing and it's got a scope with 2.8x zoom... I think that is a great way to handicap weapons so they aren't simply better at everything. They throw in weird addon's that get in the way of using them in every way possible. Awesome battle rifle, 12 bullets. @#$@#$@. Awesome SMG, acccuracy is shit.

Can't wait to see what they do with Borderlands 2.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
    Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

47. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 14:45 Icewind

Krovven wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 14:42:
    more stuff...

- Push-To-Talk voice, with options for volume, individual player mute, etc.
    - Ending...adding to what Verno said...and I've harped on it in almost every BL thread since release. The ending was a pathetic joke, easy stationary boss, practically no loot, bad cut-scene, Vault locked back up. Lame.
    - Better friends list (hand in hand with UI overhaul) that doesn't use Gamespy. Use Steamworks for god sakes.
    - Maybe a crafting system with old guns.
    - Ability to mod guns.
    - Better looking, less barren world (don't use desert landscape, or at least have a variety), drop the vehicles, or at least make them fun and control better.

All of those would require the game not to be a consolized piece of crap. Hence, it ain't gonna happen, jack.

Like Borderlands 1, it'll be a slapdash quickie game meant for consoles and half-arsed ported to the PC.

46. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 14:45 Verno

Head shots kill anything anyway. The biggest problem with it is that you can get a headshot with a 20% accuracy shotgun just as easy, so why bother sniping with a scope.

If you level up your Sniper rifle skill you get zero sway and perfect aim so you'll never miss. You can literally sit there spamming no-scope headers that hit for massive damage and AOE like crazy. I have a very high end one I'll have to show you sometime. Volcano is good too, I use it a lot against energy resistant mobs.

- Better friends list (hand in hand with UI overhaul) that doesn't use Gamespy. Use Steamworks for god sakes.

Thankfully they seem to have embraced Steamworks in other titles so this will probably happen. I know how some people feel about Steam around here but literally anything is a huge improvement over Borderlands MP framework.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
    Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

45. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 14:42 Krovven

more stuff...

- Push-To-Talk voice, with options for volume, individual player mute, etc.
    - Ending...adding to what Verno said...and I've harped on it in almost every BL thread since release. The ending was a pathetic joke, easy stationary boss, practically no loot, bad cut-scene, Vault locked back up. Lame.
    - Maybe a crafting system with old guns.
    - Ability to mod guns.

44. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 14:34 Prez

As far as what the detractors say, I can't really disagree on any particular points they made about why the game isn't as good as it could be. (Except for Cutter, who just hated it, and the other guy who hated Cutter for hating it...)

That said, I had an absolute blast with Borderlands, and still do when I fire up a 4-player LAN session at home. It's sad to think how great this game may have been had Gearbox given it the proper depth and ported it properly to the PC. Eagerly awaiting Borderlands 2, all the while fully expecting it to have glaring faults similar to the first.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo