Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

There's a burst of new Diablo III information available today, as Blizzard brought some folks in to get a look at how their upcoming action/RPG is shaping up. IGN has a preview of the beta, as well as word that the game will require a persistent internet connection. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate," explains Blizzard's Rob Pardo. "Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing. You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated."

There's a post on DiabloFans.com with a big rundown on their experiences along with a FAQ, photos, video, screenshots, and interviews with the developers, taking extra effort to let you avoid major spoilers. There are many revelations, perhaps the most significant of which being the ability to buy and sell in-game items in the auction house for real money. Here's a bit from the FAQ on how this will work:

Don’t Need It? Put It Up For Auction!
Nearly everything found in the game, including gold, can be exchanged with other players directly or through the auction house system. So say you’re a witch doctor and you’ve just found an incredibly rare, incredibly powerful axe that only barbarians can use. In the previous Diablo games your best option might have been to sell the axe to an in-game vendor, but in Diablo III, you now have the ability to list that axe in the auction house for your fellow barbarian players to bid on. And you know another player will probably appreciate the true value of that axe more than some heartless vendor who’ll likely just melt it down for scrap….

Amazing Search Functionality
The auction house’s "smart search" functionality can automatically sort items in the auction house based on which upgrades would be most beneficial to your character. Also, searching for the best gear for multiple characters on the same Battle.net account can be done all from the same interface without having to log out.

The Choice Is Yours
Use of either the real-money or gold-based auction house is completely optional -- that decision can be made on a per-item basis, and both versions of the auction house are functionally the same. In addition, players have the option to simply sell the items they obtain to in-game vendors for gold. They can also trade items to other players through a direct character-to-character trading system in the game in exchange for gold, other items, or just an overwhelming sense of goodwill.

Players Only
Blizzard does not plan to post items for sale in the auction house. The driving purpose of the auction house is to provide players with a fun additional in-game option for what they do with the items they obtain in the game. Items sold in the auction house will be posted by players and purchased by players.

Safe and Sanctified
The real-money auction house provides players with an easy-to-use, Blizzard-sanctioned way to collect money for items they obtain while playing Diablo III. It also helps protect players from the scams and theft often associated with questionable third-party sites by providing a secure, completely in-game method for purchasing and obtaining the items they want for their characters.

View
391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

91. No Modding, No Lan, No sale. Aug 1, 2011, 14:10 eRe4s3r

Its funny that people forget that this kills all modding on the spot. If you can't have local characters then you can't have mods.

With this Diablo 3 becomes completely irrelevant to me. Kinda sad Blizzard sunk this low, they made 1 awesome game, thats Diablo 2. After that it went down the drain.

But then, instead of Diablo 3 i guess i'll wait for TL2 and Skyrim, forget these cheap ass attempts to fence in gamers into even more restrictive drm bullshit.

And RM transactions for Items.. in a game like D3 whose only hook is "finding random items", is the god damn stupidest idea i ever heard. Its like they intentionally ruin the only thing that D3 is about.. wow

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

90. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:07 El Pit

Flatline wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:38:
You mean like how the Diablo 2 bundle is still 30 bucks after all these years?

Diablo 2 + LoD is at sale for about 16 Euros at play.com. And I'm sure if you look elsewhere, you might find an even cheaper price.

But you're right, it took more than 3 years to go down in price. That won't change my decision, though.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

89. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:03 briktal

Bhruic wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 14:00:
Re: the 'always online' bit, I believe they are saying you can still play single player but that your leveling, skilling, item gathering etc will always be sent to the B.net servers so that if you do go online they have verification that you 'earned' them - I suppose they estimate a minimum 'legitimate' time for each action and if you violate that time it boots your character or bans you or whatever.

No, that's not what they are saying at all. There is no more single player. There is just multiplayer with only one person.

Which was the only correct way to play D2 anyway.

88. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:03 A51Abductee

El Pit wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:18:
My reaction: I cancelled my preorder. Will this in any way change Kotizzard's idea of customer friendly DRM? No. But at least I can invest my $$$ now into another company that knows how to treat paying customers. I will nevertheless buy D3 - after it hits the bargain bin in 3 or 4 years.

Blizzard games don't go on the bargain bin like you're thinking.

And I'd already decided I was gonna pass on this. Starcraft 2 was a huge letdown (and it's going to probably be 2 years between single player releases), WoW could never keep my attention for longer than a month or so, and D3 just looks... boring at this point. The legitimizing of the most annoying parts of WoW (gold vendors) is just a nail in the coffin.

So for those who are going to drink the kool-aid enjoy. I've been saying for years that the Blizzard we all knew and loved is gone, it's pedigree replaced one or two developers at a time with the current generation, who came into the company thinking Blizzard is cool, but not understanding *what* made them cool.

Who knows what will happen in 3 or 4 years. For all we know they'll pull an EA and shut down the game servers, making our original purchases useless.

You can load up certain classic games and play them right now, or in perpetuity. There's never a guarantee of that with persistent online DRM games.

87. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:02 m0deth

@Omni - Not that it matters, but I agree, with small exception. DRM can be done well, but it seems Blizzard and Ubisoft just don't give a damn.

They want control over everything you pay for, and that's it. It's disguised as 'features' nobody asked for...but it's still B.S.

Ubi has totally lost any/all cash from me, and now the only game I wanted to play from Blizzard is now firmly in the wait til it's 5 bucks category. That's the monetary offset I will accept for bugging the shit out of me just to play a game.

86. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:00 Bhruic

Re: the 'always online' bit, I believe they are saying you can still play single player but that your leveling, skilling, item gathering etc will always be sent to the B.net servers so that if you do go online they have verification that you 'earned' them - I suppose they estimate a minimum 'legitimate' time for each action and if you violate that time it boots your character or bans you or whatever.

No, that's not what they are saying at all. There is no more single player. There is just multiplayer with only one person.

85. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:59 Beelzebud

Great. This just went from a Must Buy, to a Do Not Buy game.

Fuck you Actiblizzard.

84. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:55 zincthallinide

That said, this does somehow make me less willing to buy the game.. D3 was already looking generic and not very exciting to me, though.. in fairness, the first two were pretty generic too, but somehow fun. Maybe I'll buy it when it's $30 or so.

It's possible I'm also simply entirely hack-n-slash'd out after playing so many MMOGs and RPGs where that's all you ever do, especially in a fantasy setting, dirty medieval times with beat up armor and filthy people in filthy housing and dirt streets blah blah blah, borrrrrrrrrrrrring

83. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:50 Omni

Where and when is the limit for DRM on games?
Sadly people will buy everything as long as the hype is there.

Where does this greed come from....

82. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:47 Creston

And this is why other games have come up with such simple solutions as "local characters" and "online characters." Apparently, this is way too technical a solution for Blizzard, so now they have something which is basically exactly like Ubisoft's horseshit.

So, a problem with my internet means I can't play MY character in the game that I bought? Yeah, I think I'll happily skip this.

Creston

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2011, 14:05.

81. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:46 Slashman

Wow...that's the second Blizzard game(not counting WoW since I'd never even look at it), that I won't be buying.

Apart from my strong feelings that D3 won't add much to the genre anyway, not being able to play offline is insane.

And that is not like Steam at all(for the enlightened individual who suggested it). If my connection drops while I'm playing a Steam game...you know what happens? Nothing. I continue along and unless I glance at my router I'd probably never notice until I tried to do something online or exited the game and started another one. At which point, I'd go into offline mode and continue to play.

80. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:45 ASeven

Well, with this announcement I no longer see this as D3 but as DiabloMMO, which isn't a bad thing but it's not my thing, i want a sp experience. Torchlight2, that's what I want now.

Makes you wonder if blizz will get a cut per transaction a la ebay... called it.

79. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:44 MattyC

Teddy wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:38:
MattyC wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:32:
I don't think you finished reading my comment. Or if you did you are just ignoring the meat of it.

I finished reading it, I just disregarded the rest since you oompletely contradict yourself, by passing it off as rage because it's Diablo 3 and not a random game, then you make up a different excuse as to why it requires constant connection.

It is NOT being made an "online game". It has a single player campaign, it's being sold as a single player and multiplayer game. That's why I didn't respond to the rest of your comment, because it's a lie.

Um how is that a lie? It requires an online connection, I think that is the definition of an online game. Just because you can play it by yourself doesn't mean you took the online bit out. You can still sell and trade items with others and chat with others and participate in whatever else the online bit entails.

Starcraft 2 was a huge letdown

So for those who are going to drink the kool-aid enjoy. I've been saying for years that the Blizzard we all knew and loved is gone, it's pedigree replaced one or two developers at a time with the current generation, who came into the company thinking Blizzard is cool, but not understanding *what* made them cool.

That isn't really "kool-aid", it is a difference of opinion and (I would suspect playstyle). I think StarCraft 2 is awesome and an incredible success. The huge online player base and exploding esports scene would agree with me. That said I play it to go up against other people online. I would imagine you play for the single player content and thus played a totally different game than me.

78. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:43 Teddy

77. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:41 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:38:
You can't farm items in Diablo because there's never any guarantee you'll get a specific item. You can farm a BOSS and HOPE he'll drop something good, but the beauty of Diablo was that anybody, at any time, could get a good item. It wasn't restricted to people raiding or farming craft mats or some other boring, stupid MMO horseshit.

Of course gold in Diablo was less than worthless, so depending on what Blizzard is up to gold farming could very well escalate for D3. Which would be an absolute fucking shame.

Sure you can farm items in D3. It has random loot drops like in WoW and guilds farm that shit all the time. Now you'll just be able to sell the ultra-rare shit for cash. If the turn over from that is higher than gold-farming, then you'll see Chinese prisoners playing Diablo 3 for hours and hours a day to score epic loot to sell at the AH.

76. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:38 Flatline

El Pit wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:18:
My reaction: I cancelled my preorder. Will this in any way change Kotizzard's idea of customer friendly DRM? No. But at least I can invest my $$$ now into another company that knows how to treat paying customers. I will nevertheless buy D3 - after it hits the bargain bin in 3 or 4 years.

Blizzard games don't go on the bargain bin like you're thinking.

And I'd already decided I was gonna pass on this. Starcraft 2 was a huge letdown (and it's going to probably be 2 years between single player releases), WoW could never keep my attention for longer than a month or so, and D3 just looks... boring at this point. The legitimizing of the most annoying parts of WoW (gold vendors) is just a nail in the coffin.

75. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:38 Teddy

MattyC wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:32:
I don't think you finished reading my comment. Or if you did you are just ignoring the meat of it.

I finished reading it, I just disregarded the rest since you oompletely contradict yourself, by passing it off as rage because it's Diablo 3 and not a random game, then you make up a different excuse as to why it requires constant connection.

It is NOT being made an "online game". It has a single player campaign, it's being sold as a single player and multiplayer game. That's why I didn't respond to the rest of your comment, because it's a lie.

74. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:38 PHJF

You can't farm items in Diablo because there's never any guarantee you'll get a specific item. You can farm a BOSS and HOPE he'll drop something good, but the beauty of Diablo was that anybody, at any time, could get a good item. It wasn't restricted to people raiding or farming craft mats or some other boring, stupid MMO horseshit.

Of course gold in Diablo was less than worthless, so depending on what Blizzard is up to gold farming could very well escalate for D3. Which would be an absolute fucking shame.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

73. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:32 MattyC

Teddy wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:29:
MattyC wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:26:
That said I have to wonder if they had called this Hackamaslash or whatever and released it would the rage still be there? I mean I keep reading where people call this DRM and spyware but it seems pretty silly to me. They are just making Diablo 3 an online game. You may not like that, but it doesn't make it DRM or spyware. No one said Guild Wars or a <name a MMO> had always on DRM. Just seems odd to me.

No, if it was called "Hackamaslash" and not Diablo 3, the bad press from permanent connection DRM would bury it before it was even released.

The fact that it's Diablo 3 and has the pedigree of one of the most loved franchises of all time is the only reason it will get away with it and people will still buy it.

72. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 13:30 Flatline

Fion wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:05:
The problem with an AH that lets you sell your items for cash (or buy them) is that obviously EVERYONE will sell their shit for cash. I'm hoping it'll be some kind of cash or gold system because otherwise it'll be all cash all the time.

I can see why they went with such a system. It'll certainly give the gold farmers and bot sellers a kick in the pants, but it may also create a world of new problems.

How will it kick gold farmers in the ass? It seems like it'll legitimize them and give Blizzard a piece of the action. Even if it screws gold farming, item farming will take it's place.

If selling gold in the Auction House (which they say is possible) is really possible, you're going to see stupid amounts of inflation of in-game currency. I suspect that cash transactions will be the only real way to use the AH after inflation sets in.

391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo