Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

There's a burst of new Diablo III information available today, as Blizzard brought some folks in to get a look at how their upcoming action/RPG is shaping up. IGN has a preview of the beta, as well as word that the game will require a persistent internet connection. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate," explains Blizzard's Rob Pardo. "Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing. You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated."

There's a post on DiabloFans.com with a big rundown on their experiences along with a FAQ, photos, video, screenshots, and interviews with the developers, taking extra effort to let you avoid major spoilers. There are many revelations, perhaps the most significant of which being the ability to buy and sell in-game items in the auction house for real money. Here's a bit from the FAQ on how this will work:

Don’t Need It? Put It Up For Auction!
Nearly everything found in the game, including gold, can be exchanged with other players directly or through the auction house system. So say you’re a witch doctor and you’ve just found an incredibly rare, incredibly powerful axe that only barbarians can use. In the previous Diablo games your best option might have been to sell the axe to an in-game vendor, but in Diablo III, you now have the ability to list that axe in the auction house for your fellow barbarian players to bid on. And you know another player will probably appreciate the true value of that axe more than some heartless vendor who’ll likely just melt it down for scrap….

Amazing Search Functionality
The auction house’s "smart search" functionality can automatically sort items in the auction house based on which upgrades would be most beneficial to your character. Also, searching for the best gear for multiple characters on the same Battle.net account can be done all from the same interface without having to log out.

The Choice Is Yours
Use of either the real-money or gold-based auction house is completely optional -- that decision can be made on a per-item basis, and both versions of the auction house are functionally the same. In addition, players have the option to simply sell the items they obtain to in-game vendors for gold. They can also trade items to other players through a direct character-to-character trading system in the game in exchange for gold, other items, or just an overwhelming sense of goodwill.

Players Only
Blizzard does not plan to post items for sale in the auction house. The driving purpose of the auction house is to provide players with a fun additional in-game option for what they do with the items they obtain in the game. Items sold in the auction house will be posted by players and purchased by players.

Safe and Sanctified
The real-money auction house provides players with an easy-to-use, Blizzard-sanctioned way to collect money for items they obtain while playing Diablo III. It also helps protect players from the scams and theft often associated with questionable third-party sites by providing a secure, completely in-game method for purchasing and obtaining the items they want for their characters.

View
391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

211. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:25 Teddy

MacLeod wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:30:
Dev wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:25:
I really doubt they are going to let anyone cash out to real money, its going to be for some form of in game currency. So the gold farmers will still not be interested in it.

From the Blizzard FAQ:
Can players choose to get cash from currency-based auction house sales, instead of having the proceeds deposited into their Battle.net account?
Yes, as an advanced feature, players will have the option of attaching an account with an approved third-party payment service to their Battle.net account. Once this has been completed, proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house can be deposited into their third-party payment service account. “Cashing out” would then be handled through the third-party payment service. Note that this process will be subject to applicable fees charged by Blizzard and the third-party payment service. Also, any proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house that have been deposited into the Battle.net account will not be transferrable to the third-party payment service account. Not all regions will support this advanced feature at launch. Region-specific details, as well as details regarding which third-party payment services will be supported and the fee that Blizzard will charge for the cash-out process, will all be provided at a later date.

Can we buy gold from the currency-based auction house?
Players will be able to buy and sell gold through the currency-based auction house at whatever the current market price is, as established by the player community.

So, just so I'm clear on this... You have to pay blizzard to list an item on the AH (whether it sells or not), you have to pay blizzard again if that item sells (Source: Ars Tech), then you have to pay Blizzard a third time to transfer the money owed to a third party company that you have to pay to give you the remains of the money, and only if you live in the right area in the world.

With all that paying out, I'd be surprised if you get 10c on the dollar for everything you sell.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

210. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:19 MattyC

avianflu wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:16:
the introduction of real money micro transactions into Diablo is bound to be profitable for Blizzard, which is solely why they are doing it.

You have to admit, Blizzard is taking a gamble. The hardcore might be OK with lots of little micro-transactions in real $$, but others may balk.

I don't think it is much of a gamble. This isn't really anything new. It existed in Diablo 2, just now it is from Blizzard instead of some iffy website that Bobby WantsToBuyItems saw getting spammed in chat.

209. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:16 avianflu

the introduction of real money micro transactions into Diablo is bound to be profitable for Blizzard, which is solely why they are doing it.

You have to admit, Blizzard is taking a gamble. The hardcore might be OK with lots of little micro-transactions in real $$, but others may balk.

208. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:16 ASeven

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:03:
fujiJuice wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:49:
Well this thread got pretty hostile very quickly.

That's what happens when idiots like Aseven start insulting everyone that doesn't agree with him (in post #117), and StingingVelvet calling me a jackass in post #153.

Too bad they can't handle it in return, and need to click the Report bututon like crybabies.

Way to be fair there Blue. Awesome how you let the trolls run wild, but as soon as someone gives it back to them you delete the post.

Guess you don't know what passive aggressive means and guess you're still an hypocrite, chastising others for doing what you also do.

Btw I don't report anything, I don't fear words. Way to assume it though. Guess your high horse is really tiny, it seems. Get off it while you're at it, and do grow up.

207. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:12 ASeven

Ferazel wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:01:
Ooh ohh I wanna join in on the fun!

---
Seriously, I think the complainers are oblivious to how this is going to be the future of entertainment media. Whether or not you are going to adapt and change to be a part of it, is definitely your choice. However, if you don't adapt and accept change I will liken it to the metaphor of going to your cabin in the woods wearing tinfoil over your head plugging your ears wishing that the world wouldn't change.

However, take for example some of the modern aspects of popular entertainment. TypeFarmville, League of Legends, and World of Warcraft are all very successful internet only games. They both have integrated ecomony systems that are equated to cash by 3rd party sites. There are very few people whom an always on internet connection is going to be a problem.

I don't doubt that there will still be some indie releases that are going to stroke your egos and tell you you're not crazy. However, the bigs ones are going to try to be as successful as they can be. There are many reasons why game companies are going this route, piracy and microtransactions are the main ones that come to my mind. This type of online system helps with both of these situations.

You stubborn old relic gamers of yesteryear are in the gross minority of gamers no matter how much noise you make. If you don't adapt... well you can always go hide in your cabin with your 486 playing XCom and Tie Fighter until you die. While the rest of us, we will have new entertainment experiences to play with before then.
---

In regards to the changes, I play Diablo for the co-op questing and these changes will unlikely affect me at all.

The fact indies are getting moore success and the clear way it can be seen that people are abandoning mainstream and going indie, both in numbers and in the media, makes me wonder if it's not you who will be part of of that little cabin. In fact, I keep wondering if indies aren't already the majority.

See, this is how you adapt to change. You change for the better option instead of being lethargic and just accept anything that's thrown at you. If anything, the fact more and more people are playing more and more indie titles, with a growing number of people making indies their main games, will give for an interesting future where the minority might end up being the mainstream gamers and not the opposite.

Simply put, if there was only mainstream games you would probably be dead right. However we have an alternative to mainstream now, a viable one at that, an
publishers sure are giving a lot of reasons for more and mores pc gamers go indie. And most are.

206. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:12 Cornholio

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:03:
fujiJuice wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:49:
Well this thread got pretty hostile very quickly.

That's what happens when idiots like Aseven start insulting everyone that doesn't agree with him (in post #117), and StingingVelvet calling me a jackass in post #153.

Too bad they can't handle it in return, and need to click the Report button like crybabies.

Way to be fair there Blue. Awesome how you let the trolls run wild, but as soon as someone gives it back to them you delete the post.

God forbid you make fun of yourself in a post by making a remark about your own heritage. That will get deleted in a heart beat.

205. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:11 Krovven

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:07:
Is this a joke? Seriously... is this meant to be humorous?

Are you only capable of giving useless passive-aggressive commentary...or are you even capable of putting words together and explaining how cheating is not a major factor in this? Did you even read the news story at all? Did you ever play Diablo 2 at all?

204. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:07 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:44:
Bhruic wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:32:
Such as? Go ahead, list all the positives that forced connectivity offers to people who only want to do single player.

Cheating. If you don't know how it worked in D2, then scroll back through the messages and read. I will take a more secure multiplayer game environment if it means losing an offline singleplayer mode.

Is this a joke? Seriously... is this meant to be humorous?

203. removed Aug 1, 2011, 17:03 Krovven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 1, 2011, 17:43.

202. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:01 Ferazel

Ooh ohh I wanna join in on the fun!

---
Seriously, I think the complainers are oblivious to how this is going to be the future of entertainment media. Whether or not you are going to adapt and change to be a part of it, is definitely your choice. However, if you don't adapt and accept change I will liken it to the metaphor of going to your cabin in the woods wearing tinfoil over your head plugging your ears wishing that the world wouldn't change.

However, take for example some of the modern aspects of popular entertainment. Farmville, League of Legends, and World of Warcraft are all very successful internet only games. They both have integrated ecomony systems that are equated to cash by 3rd party sites. There are very few people whom an always on internet connection is going to be a problem.

I don't doubt that there will still be some indie releases that are going to stroke your egos and tell you you're not crazy. However, the bigs ones are going to try to be as successful as they can be. There are many reasons why game companies are going this route, piracy and microtransactions are the main ones that come to my mind. This type of online system helps with both of these situations.

You stubborn old relic gamers of yesteryear are in the gross minority of gamers no matter how much noise you make. If you don't adapt... well you can always go hide in your cabin with your 486 playing XCom and Tie Fighter until you die. While the rest of us, we will have new entertainment experiences to play with before then.
---

In regards to the changes, I play Diablo for the co-op questing and these changes will unlikely affect me at all.

201. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:01 Starang

Don't care about the always online DRM as I am always online, I don't care about the auction house as I would never use it and I don't care if people buy gear as the pvp arena doesn't sound great with team death-match only. It's the no skill points changes, the 2d cinematics, and the latest game-play vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjkNpBYEK1M&feature=player_embedded that makes me worried.  

200. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:58 Mashiki Amiketo

Cornholio wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:55:
Not really supprised... oh well wasn't planning on buying it after I heard about the 'no attribute limited choice skills' leveling from way back when. But this definitely nails it in the coffin... With no lan support? My fam still plays d2, and TQ, over lan.
You know I can't keep thinking there's some grand conspiracy by game companies to make shitty, piss poor design decisions and then call them features. I mean look at DA2, now look at D3. Well it's either a grand conspiracy, or people are more stupid than I give them credit for, and with that. So stupid that they can't figure out that casters need mana, and meat sacks need str.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

199. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:58 Bhruic

On that note, I wonder if the AH will be available to players during ladder races? Though to my knowledge, there's been no information as yet on how the ladder is going to work this time around, of if there's even going to be one.

If you read the last link, they go into that a bit... Let me find the quote:
A: Umm…I would say that we are not that fond of the ladder reset. I kind of feel like the ladder resetting thing is like…”wow, I can’t believe people fell for that!” I kind of feel like that feels really simplistic. We can do better than that. If we really want to reset things, let’s reset them for real. And I’m not saying that’s what we’re going to do; we honestly don’t know at this point. But I think we can do a better job than ladder races, which…the other side of it is, how many people really get to participate in that? You’ve got your crazy guildies who essentially do run shifts to get a character up and once the first 100 or so hit the top, who gives a crap? I don’t want to be 150, who cares? Much less 150,000. So we think we can do better than that.

198. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:55 Cornholio

Not really supprised... oh well wasn't planning on buying it after I heard about the 'no attribute limited choice skills' leveling from way back when. But this definitely nails it in the coffin... With no lan support? My fam still plays d2, and TQ, over lan.  

197. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:54 Mashiki Amiketo

briktal wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:43:
Get a hundred people to stand outside their corporate headquarters with big signs for a month.
You are less than nothing in the eyes of bell, telus, cogeco or rogers. In fact, these companies are rated worse than air canada for working with their customers.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

196. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:53 Dev

MacLeod wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:30:
Dev wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:25:
I really doubt they are going to let anyone cash out to real money, its going to be for some form of in game currency. So the gold farmers will still not be interested in it.

From the Blizzard FAQ:
Can players choose to get cash from currency-based auction house sales, instead of having the proceeds deposited into their Battle.net account?
Yes, as an advanced feature, players will have the option of attaching an account with an approved third-party payment service to their Battle.net account. Once this has been completed, proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house can be deposited into their third-party payment service account. “Cashing out” would then be handled through the third-party payment service. Note that this process will be subject to applicable fees charged by Blizzard and the third-party payment service. Also, any proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house that have been deposited into the Battle.net account will not be transferrable to the third-party payment service account. Not all regions will support this advanced feature at launch. Region-specific details, as well as details regarding which third-party payment services will be supported and the fee that Blizzard will charge for the cash-out process, will all be provided at a later date.

Can we buy gold from the currency-based auction house?
Players will be able to buy and sell gold through the currency-based auction house at whatever the current market price is, as established by the player community.
My bad, I thought I looked over that linked stuff before posting. Obviously skimmed a bit too much.

So yeah, then this will just encourage and make legit all the chinese sweat shop farming. It will expand the farming market even more since its now legit.

195. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:49 ASeven

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:47:

Regardless of any of that stuff though, the fact remains is that companies like Blizzard don't have to do this, they simply want to, and should not be rewarded for it. Sure we all want to play the game, but goddamn, doesn't anyone have any dignity and self-respect anymore?

The shiny overcomes principles to those people unfortunately.

194. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:49 Bhruic

Cheating. If you don't know how it worked in D2, then scroll back through the messages and read. I will take a more secure multiplayer game environment if it means losing an offline singleplayer mode.

Ok, so I ask you to list the positives for people who want to do single player, and your response is to list a positive for multiplayer. And not just listing a multiplayer positive, but specifically pointing out how it actually shafts single players. Very effectively illustrating my point. There are no positives for single player.

Thanks for conceding that.

193. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:49 fujiJuice

Well this thread got pretty hostile very quickly. Anyway, I would prefer to not have to my computer constantly connected to the internet to play a singleplayer game, but the fact is it is connected anyway. It sucks, but not really a deal breaker for me. Although I wonder if this means a cloud based setup, where at a friends house you could log into your account and gain access to your characters, like your key is tied to your battle.net account and not your game, like WoW, and I believe SC2.  

192. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:48 Cutter

"Give me the keys, you cocksucker."

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo