Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

There's a burst of new Diablo III information available today, as Blizzard brought some folks in to get a look at how their upcoming action/RPG is shaping up. IGN has a preview of the beta, as well as word that the game will require a persistent internet connection. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate," explains Blizzard's Rob Pardo. "Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing. You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated."

There's a post on DiabloFans.com with a big rundown on their experiences along with a FAQ, photos, video, screenshots, and interviews with the developers, taking extra effort to let you avoid major spoilers. There are many revelations, perhaps the most significant of which being the ability to buy and sell in-game items in the auction house for real money. Here's a bit from the FAQ on how this will work:

Don’t Need It? Put It Up For Auction!
Nearly everything found in the game, including gold, can be exchanged with other players directly or through the auction house system. So say you’re a witch doctor and you’ve just found an incredibly rare, incredibly powerful axe that only barbarians can use. In the previous Diablo games your best option might have been to sell the axe to an in-game vendor, but in Diablo III, you now have the ability to list that axe in the auction house for your fellow barbarian players to bid on. And you know another player will probably appreciate the true value of that axe more than some heartless vendor who’ll likely just melt it down for scrap….

Amazing Search Functionality
The auction house’s "smart search" functionality can automatically sort items in the auction house based on which upgrades would be most beneficial to your character. Also, searching for the best gear for multiple characters on the same Battle.net account can be done all from the same interface without having to log out.

The Choice Is Yours
Use of either the real-money or gold-based auction house is completely optional -- that decision can be made on a per-item basis, and both versions of the auction house are functionally the same. In addition, players have the option to simply sell the items they obtain to in-game vendors for gold. They can also trade items to other players through a direct character-to-character trading system in the game in exchange for gold, other items, or just an overwhelming sense of goodwill.

Players Only
Blizzard does not plan to post items for sale in the auction house. The driving purpose of the auction house is to provide players with a fun additional in-game option for what they do with the items they obtain in the game. Items sold in the auction house will be posted by players and purchased by players.

Safe and Sanctified
The real-money auction house provides players with an easy-to-use, Blizzard-sanctioned way to collect money for items they obtain while playing Diablo III. It also helps protect players from the scams and theft often associated with questionable third-party sites by providing a secure, completely in-game method for purchasing and obtaining the items they want for their characters.

View
391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

31. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:12 Prez

MattyC wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:10:
Prez wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:01:
So, no offline mode for SP as with Starcraft 2?

Regardless of the reason, being required to be online 100% of the time in SP is asinine. No purchase for me.

Not sure where you got your info. StarCraft 2 has an offline mode.

I know - that's what I meant. I should have said "So no offline mode for SP as there is with SC2?" That would have been clearer.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:12 Bhruic

Benefits being you could easily get into games with your friends, you didn't have to worry (to much) about hackers, etc.

Sorry, those aren't benefits to single player gaming. You don't play single player with friends, and you don't have to worry about hackers.

Not saying there aren't benefits, but those wouldn't be them.

29. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:12 Rattlehead

It's funny how despite the fact that 99% of the people who plan to the buy the game have a solid, persistent internet connection, they now say they won't out of principle. Who exactly are you trying to fool?

PC Gamers always tout about having the latest and greatest tech over consoles and blah blah, but they can't seem to have an 100% online connection. Funny how that works isn't it? Anyways, I will see all you guys in beta, you will be there.

Oh, and I will be enjoying both Torchlight 2 and Diablo III.

28. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:10 Yakubs

So much for the competitive PvP feature. Why compete in a P2W environment?  

27. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:10 Fion

I expected the persistent online connection after Starcraft 2. Frankly in SC2 there are benefits to it, as well as drawbacks. Benefits being you could easily get into games with your friends, you didn't have to worry (to much) about hackers, etc. Drawbacks of course being the required constant internet connection.

Now my question for D3 'cash' AH is, what is Activision/Blizzards cut in those sales. You know they are only doing this because it'll make them more money. So what percentage of each sale does A/B take? In most MMOGs each sale costs a small amount of coin as a 'money sink' so in this game will it be the same .1% of the sale goes to Blizzard or will it be more.

Oh and on the subject of state taxes for this auction house, there aren't any laws that allow them to tax virtual goods yet is there? Since the 'items' being exchanged have no real world counterparts I'm pretty sure they cannot be taxed.

26. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:10 MattyC

Regardless of the reason, being required to be online 100% of the time in SP is asinine. No purchase for me.

Not sure where you got your info. StarCraft 2 has an offline mode.

25. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:06 Parallax Abstraction

007Bistromath wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:03:
Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 11:52:
There is ZERO need to be constantly connected. This is just another Acti-Bliz ploy to blahblahblah
With any other game, you'd have a point, but with Diablo II, it was more like "there is ZERO reason to make an offline character." Same deal here, only you don't have the option of doing something that had no purpose to begin with. Nothing to complain about.

Says you. I played Diablo II offline plenty when I was traveling and didn't always have Internet access. I also principally played the game solo because this just in: Most online games are full of idiots. There's plenty of reasons to make an offline character. They may not apply to you and that's fine, they don't apply to everyone. Some people who travel like to play games and don't always have the Internet nearby. The lack of a continually available Internet connection (not even taking into account how unreliable many ISPs are) is not nearly as common as many (particularly those who live in cities) assume.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

24. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:06 Paketep

Even SC2 had an offline SP mode despite all the features cut to force people into BNet2

23. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:05 Rattlehead

Eh, I was planning to play this game with my friends the entire time so internet connection was already required.

Sucks to the 12 people who don't have persistent online collection.

22. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:03 007Bistromath

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 11:52:
There is ZERO need to be constantly connected. This is just another Acti-Bliz ploy to blahblahblah
With any other game, you'd have a point, but with Diablo II, it was more like "there is ZERO reason to make an offline character." Same deal here, only you don't have the option of doing something that had no purpose to begin with. Nothing to complain about.

Now, with Diablo II, there were alot of people who played offline or on private online systems so they could screw around with the mechanics of the game. It will be alot harder to do that with D3, but ultimately, somebody's going to figure out how to circumvent the lockdown pretty fast, and people will be able to do what they've always done.

Blizzard has done some stupid things since Activision bought them, but I wouldn't count this as part of that. They're just taking how things worked in Diablo II and making it more robust.

21. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:02 Parallax Abstraction

Between the always-on DRM and how they've ruined the skill system, they've effectively killed any interest I had in this game. Sorry, if I'm required to constantly ask permission to play the product I paid for, you don't get my business. Torchlight 2 will fill this voice nicely. The only part that worries me is if this game succeeds (and who am I kidding, it will and many of those who will buy it are the same ones who bash Ubisoft for their DRM), it will send a signal to all publishers to put always-on DRM on any title with a decent budget on the PC. Welcome to the future where you pay for a product and are expected to only use it in the way you are directed.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

20. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:01 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 11:59 Vladimyre

Gov and Security Issues I would think, just wait for all the transations going to North Korea, China, etc any hot spot places this could get interesting fast.

V

18. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 11:55 Dades

This is certainly going to make duping an interesting problem. I don't see a problem in letting players exchange goods with other players, I would be more concerned if Blizzard tried to sell items.

And, of course, the sense of wonder kind of died. No longer did you have to keep going out and wondering what you'd turn up next. Nope, you just looked at the auction house and planned to save. It's far less fun and keeps you hooked for a shorter amount of time.

They can adjust loot rarity to compensate for a lot of that but I see what you mean.

17. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 11:52 Cutter

There is ZERO need to be constantly connected. This is just another Acti-Bliz ploy to aggregate knowledge about you to target and sell shit to you along with their advertising partners. RIP Blizzard it was nice while it lasted. You're just Kodick's little whores entirely now.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 11:51 Paketep

I wasn't going to buy this due to lack of LAN, but this is just too much. Not only is Blizzard taking even more features from their customers and forcing them to do every fucking thing through their shitty BNet, now they're also validating the abuse of gold farming (taking a cut so Kotick will be happy), and changing their game into a P2W.

If you had told me 5 years ago that Blizzard would fall this low, I wouldn't have believed a word of it. After SC2 and now this, I'll believe anything. They've lost it completely.

Thank god we have Torchlight 2. Blizz can go to hell with the rest of Activision in tow.

15. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 11:48 Techie714 ©

bhcompy wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 11:42:
Real money sales means tax implications. Since Blizzard is based in CA, that means that CA residents will be charged tax on purchases. Sellers will also have to pay tax on their earnings. Bad juju, this is

Shit, you are correct I didn't think about that. *If you lived in California that would be a concern given our taxes here*

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

14. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 11:47 Optional nickname

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 11:43:
Ah, the phrase is "intents and purposes", not intensive purposes.

I'm honestly far, far more interested in Torchlight 2 than this. Blizzard may not "have plans" to put items on the auction house, but Activision wont be able to resist putting overpowered gear up for real money.

Blizzard should have PVP Tax collectors in game, that will go hostile on your ass should you default on your next income tax forms.

13. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 11:43 HoSpanky

Ah, the phrase is "intents and purposes", not intensive purposes.

I'm honestly far, far more interested in Torchlight 2 than this. Blizzard may not "have plans" to put items on the auction house, but Activision wont be able to resist putting overpowered gear up for real money.

12. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 11:42 bhcompy

Real money sales means tax implications. Since Blizzard is based in CA, that means that CA residents will be charged tax on purchases. Sellers will also have to pay tax on their earnings. Bad juju, this is  

391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo