Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

There's a burst of new Diablo III information available today, as Blizzard brought some folks in to get a look at how their upcoming action/RPG is shaping up. IGN has a preview of the beta, as well as word that the game will require a persistent internet connection. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate," explains Blizzard's Rob Pardo. "Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing. You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated."

There's a post on DiabloFans.com with a big rundown on their experiences along with a FAQ, photos, video, screenshots, and interviews with the developers, taking extra effort to let you avoid major spoilers. There are many revelations, perhaps the most significant of which being the ability to buy and sell in-game items in the auction house for real money. Here's a bit from the FAQ on how this will work:

Don’t Need It? Put It Up For Auction!
Nearly everything found in the game, including gold, can be exchanged with other players directly or through the auction house system. So say you’re a witch doctor and you’ve just found an incredibly rare, incredibly powerful axe that only barbarians can use. In the previous Diablo games your best option might have been to sell the axe to an in-game vendor, but in Diablo III, you now have the ability to list that axe in the auction house for your fellow barbarian players to bid on. And you know another player will probably appreciate the true value of that axe more than some heartless vendor who’ll likely just melt it down for scrap….

Amazing Search Functionality
The auction house’s "smart search" functionality can automatically sort items in the auction house based on which upgrades would be most beneficial to your character. Also, searching for the best gear for multiple characters on the same Battle.net account can be done all from the same interface without having to log out.

The Choice Is Yours
Use of either the real-money or gold-based auction house is completely optional -- that decision can be made on a per-item basis, and both versions of the auction house are functionally the same. In addition, players have the option to simply sell the items they obtain to in-game vendors for gold. They can also trade items to other players through a direct character-to-character trading system in the game in exchange for gold, other items, or just an overwhelming sense of goodwill.

Players Only
Blizzard does not plan to post items for sale in the auction house. The driving purpose of the auction house is to provide players with a fun additional in-game option for what they do with the items they obtain in the game. Items sold in the auction house will be posted by players and purchased by players.

Safe and Sanctified
The real-money auction house provides players with an easy-to-use, Blizzard-sanctioned way to collect money for items they obtain while playing Diablo III. It also helps protect players from the scams and theft often associated with questionable third-party sites by providing a secure, completely in-game method for purchasing and obtaining the items they want for their characters.

View
391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

151. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:02 nin

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:58:
The inconvenience to some users may be the same, but at least Blizzard has an excuse for making sure you're connected to B.net at all times. Ubisoft is just all "DON'T STEAL OUR SHIT."

That's an good point. The changes here allow new features that some players might like, compared to UBI's, where none of the players benefit at all.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

150. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:01 Veterator

There hasn't been a single game in the history of games where I thought "Wow, I wish this game had a cash auction."

And in the games where you can buy things with real cash, it's always been a "Why bother?" kind of scenario. Whether it be third party sites or whatever, it creates a scenario in which farmers thrive. You can't possibly get a "true" value of an item when there's a guy running a couple hundred accounts that farm all day long completely ruining anything remotely fun about the game.

So what I see here are two features that were put into a game that will make it less enjoyable for many people, which cost money and time that could have been spent on the game or lowering the box price. And they are tacked onto a game that many will buy because it exists.......and it will be used by the farmers excessively so it'll look like it's utilized to the benefit of all.

And always on connections......don't see the point. Seems like Blizzard wants to dictate how you can use their games now. With them only allowing "authorized" content and banning people who cheat purposefully just for shits and giggles.

I can accept control on MMOs, but I don't see the point for the control on SC2 and Diablo 3 when they really shouldn't be able to affect others with a well implemented ignore command.

149. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:01 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:55:
This isn't even a cause imo. Now if it had a real affect, if for say you truly didn't have a good internet connection. Yes I would then not buy it and let Blizzard know. Less then a week ago I left ATT over the 150 gig limit per month, it did affect me and I did what I had to, cancel.

Funny thing is, I'm an AT&T customer, and they still haven't actually implemented the usage stuff for my account, or for pretty much anyone else's. I don't have any limit, much less the 250GB/month one.

148. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:00 The Half Elf

Bhruic wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 11:25:
Wow, that statement was just drowning in stupid. He talks about all the problems with having offline characters that "appear" online, and sums it up with the accurate statement that you couldn't fucking do that in Diablo II.

In other words, there's absolutely no fucking reason they couldn't do things the exact same way they did with D2 - you can play online with b.net characters, or you can play offline with local characters. And the two don't overlap.

Oh well, another game I won't be getting. That'll be D3 and S2 that I would have bought without the stupid forced b.net connection. Their loss.

Actually you can/could make offline characters and take them online. Hell all the hacking we did with D2 (hex editing, nothing major) you could easily do it AND it was a major problem, especially with trading.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

147. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:58 jacobvandy

The inconvenience to some users may be the same, but at least Blizzard has an excuse for making sure you're connected to B.net at all times. Ubisoft is just all "DON'T STEAL OUR SHIT."  

146. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:55 HorrorScope

ASeven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:31:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:24:
ASeven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:19:

Good for you, however you, fortunately, are not the world. But hey, you love being the lowest common denominator and not having principles. Fine, many others like having principles, many, the vast majority of the world according to recent studies, do not have a persistant net connection, and more and more the isps of people who do have that continuous connection are putting severe bandwidth caps into place.

It is funny how people think that because they have this and that all the world must have it too. Talk about megalomania, and being retarded. These people should use their brains from time to time, would do them good.

I wish you could take your energy and apply it to world affairs, labor laws, wage increases etc. It's a shame to lose these efforts on fighting for persistent online games or not. There are just many more important issues that can use your energy and righteousness. Really.

Btw, one great fallicy is thinking that you should fight for bigger causes rather than small. The opposite is true, since all big causes and most of the major problems in the world started small.

This isn't even a cause imo. Now if it had a real affect, if for say you truly didn't have a good internet connection. Yes I would then not buy it and let Blizzard know. Less then a week ago I left ATT over the 150 gig limit per month, it did affect me and I did what I had to, cancel.

145. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:51 Rattlehead

Well me I can bet you my 2 nuts that I wont be buying this crap, I have nothing against, real cash between players, but blizz taking their share, really pisses me off, the bastards, banned people, for doing this in WoW, and now since they can get their greedy paws on this they accept it !!! and also the persistent connection even if I want to play solo ! WTF really?

I will download it from a torrent and play its single player story, SO I would like to say a big Fuck you to Blizzard, turning from one of the most respected company to an EVIL Electronic Arts Empire.

PS: I'm pissed but not mad, this will save me 56$ on a game

This is such an unbelievably idiotic post I don't even know where to begin. First off, being pissed and being mad are essentially the same thing.

Also, if they are so evil, why play their games at all? Oh yea, because you wanna play them, but not pay for them.

144. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:51 Krovven

Cram wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:24:
I think it is different and can see others points of view.

I dont see it as different, and I do see others points of view. I just think most are being hypocrites about their stance on this. Considering I can see a few of them on Steam at this very moment and what games they own, it's pretty hard for them to justify their comments.

Then you get other morons like Aseven who act all like a pompous righteous ass, even though the game they are most looking forward to is an online multiplayer first person shooter.

Personally I could care less if there was an offline mode or not. For the sake of those that do not have a persistent net connection, I hope Blizzard gives them an offline option for single-player, I really do. If they don't, and still want to play the game, they have a couple options. Buy the game play when you have a connection and something else when you don't. Or, buy the game and download the inevitable hacked copy to play offline when you dont have a net connection.

And if you want to argue Im promoting piracy, I'm not. Depending where you are, most will have a legal right to have a backup of the product you purchased and nobody is going to have problem with it if you purchased the game. It's often mentioned around here about people using cracks on games they own.

143. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:46 nin

Never having a game that isn't an MMO require a persistent connection is a good thing.

I think it's a safe assumption that b.net is heading towards a Steam model, to compete with Valve and EA. That leaked "product slate" (which has been totally correct, so far) even mentions "bnet2 3rd Parties" in the first quarter of 2012. I'm guessing you'll be seeing activision games on there by this time next year.

So it's not going away.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

142. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:45 ASeven

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:40:

I was planning to play co-op with my friends for this game from the beginning, so having an always online connection is an obvious for me. How am I the jackass again, and not the guy who is gonna torrent it?

Nice try though, keep on trucking and your honing your trolling skills. You are getting there.

Good, you want to play it online, many don't like, you know, d1 and 2. And by buying the game you validate the drm so thanks for proving my point.

Besides your attitude in this thread has been of nyah nyah I'll buy this game and anyone else who disagrees with me can fuck off, and you have the nerve of calling me a troll?

I stick to my word, you really are the jackass.

141. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:44 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:40:
Guild Wars can be played entirely solo from beginning to end without ever speaking to or joining with another person. They even have Heroes in the game to help the solo player.

Just because you are forced to enter the multiplayer HUBs to get from area to area doesnt matter, it could have been designed differently to separate them. So what you are saying is if Blizzard forced the player to enter a multiplayer HUB to play the single player game, then the persistent connection is ok?

For one thing Guild Wars was not the sequel to two offline games. For another thing Guild Wars never advertised itself as a singleplayer and multiplayer game. Lastly, Guild Wars was boring as shit when played solo and was obviously built around coop.

Diablo and Diablo 2 were great singleplayer games. Diablo 3 can be played the same way, but only online. It is really not difficult to see where the problems are here. For someone like me, someone who would play by myself all the time, the online requirement is just an amazing hassle and obvious corporate control. It literally offers me nothing. It makes the pirate copy the one that is worth more to me.

140. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:43 briktal

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:40:
entr0py wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:32:
No, Guild Wars was never truly single player. There were no single player hub areas or cities.

Guild Wars can be played entirely solo from beginning to end without ever speaking to or joining with another person. They even have Heroes in the game to help the solo player.

Just because you are forced to enter the multiplayer HUBs to get from area to area doesnt matter, it could have been designed differently to separate them. So what you are saying is if Blizzard forced the player to enter a multiplayer HUB to play the single player game, then the persistent connection is ok?

What, like a big chatroom?

139. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:40 Shineyguy

This is a horrible idea.

Hey Blizzard, do it the way you did with Diablo2, offer Open Battle.net (you can use your SP characters online, a haven for the hacking community), and offer Closed Battle.net (characters are stored on Battle.net servers, thus keeping a majority of "hackers" at bay).

If you offered those two choices as you have in the past, you wouldn't have these issues.

Never having a game that isn't an MMO require a persistent connection is a good thing.

138. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:40 Krovven

entr0py wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:32:
No, Guild Wars was never truly single player. There were no single player hub areas or cities.

137. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:40 Rattlehead

No, you are. Because it takes people like you to eat this shit, buy the game and validating the drm. So it's you, the people who will accept anything to play the latest shiny, that makes this drm possible.

Congrats! You're the real jackass!

I was planning to play co-op with my friends for this game from the beginning, so having an always online connection is an obvious for me. How am I the jackass again, and not the guy who is gonna torrent it? Is it because I buy games that I want to play, rather than basing it on empty morale decisions like DRM and other nonsense? I have an connection wherever I am, whether its my home, my campus or someplace else.

Nice try though, keep on trucking and your honing your trolling skills. You are getting there.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2011, 15:45.

136. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:38 Kawlisse

Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:28:
No you won't. You'll buy it, guaranteed.

Also, is LAN play really required nowadays? Internet connections are plenty fast - especially for a game like this.

Well me I can bet you my 2 nuts that I wont be buying this crap, I have nothing against, real cash between players, but blizz taking their share, really pisses me off, the bastards, banned people, for doing this in WoW, and now since they can get their greedy paws on this they accept it !!! and also the persistent connection even if I want to play solo ! WTF really?

I will download it from a torrent and play its single player story, SO I would like to say a big Fuck you to Blizzard, turning from one of the most respected company to an EVIL Electronic Arts Empire.

PS: I'm pissed but not mad, this will save me 56$ on a game

135. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:36 ASeven

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:33:

As for referring to people that don't agree with you as, "lowest common denominator, no principals, megalomania, retarded and should use their brains", you need to grow the fuck up.

Obviously you should take your own advice. When you compare gw1 and 2, an mmo, to an offline game like d2... sorry, you're either not using your brain or you're being insidious. Which is it?

Don't blame me, I call bullshit when I see it.

134. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:36 StingingVelvet

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:18:
Rofl, do you realize how many times you just contradicted yourself. You basically said "Hey, I am questioning if I should steal this"(in your adult life, I assume you pirated everything as a kid then), after you just said Blizzard has removed the desire for you to buy the game. That's a real fucking moral dillema right? A

I don't understand your reasoning here. I have no interest in the game as sold. I do not play multiplayer and I do not support the idea behind this game, a game with a traditional singleplayer aspect being an online service only. Buying the game would make a horrible statement that it is okay to do that. Then the next Fallout or next Mass Effect or whatever else is online only and we have a clusterfuck on our hands (we meaning singleplayer gamers).

There is no real dilemma about buying the game. I'm not buying the game. The dilemma is...

So basically your post can be summed up like this "Because of the DRM I am considering pirating this"

You are the reason why DRM like this exists. If you don't agree with always online connection..fine, but telling yourself whether torrenting this or not is a moral dillema just adds fuel to the DRM fire. Nice going jackass.

Usually DRM does not effect a purchase decision because it doesn't and can't stop me from playing. If those activations dry up or Steam closes down and there is no official alternative then I could just turn to the community, who will always make sure games can still be played. Call them cracks or whatever if you want, the point is I will always be able to play my legally purchased software.

This game though... this is different. Putting down my $60 for Diablo 3 is saying "hey there, I am okay with traditional singleplayer games being turned into online-only services." It's basically the same thing as supporting streaming. The company is always in control and the solo singleplayer gamer has to play online anyway for the sole reason of being under company control. I cannot... CANNOT... support that. It might happen anyway, I am sure millions will buy it, but I cannot in good conscience be one of them.

So since there is no way I am buying the game anyway the moral question turns to the fact that there will be a true offline singleplayer version of the game available. A product that is, for all intents and purposes, not being sold anywhere. When Blizzard are writing me off and saying "we don't want your business" how wrong is it really to write them off too? I mean let's face it the reason to buy singleplayer games in the current climate is to support developers and publishers... when I don't want to support one, or indeed think it would be against my principles to do so... the moral issue with piracy becomes extremely weakened.

All that said I don't think I could really play something I didn't pay for. I doubt I will actually pirate it. The only thing I think I might find acceptable would be to buy a duplicate copy of Diablo 2 and then download and play Diablo 3. Then they get some money out of it, but not money in support of their online only model.

133. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:36 MajorD

Creston wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:02:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 14:50:
A smart-ass could say "go get a f'in good ISP already!"

Which is really helpful to people who live in an area that's serviced by exactly 1 ISP. Which, as of the last broadband consensus, was approximately 2/3rds of the continental US. Smart-ass.

And sure, I COULD play it online. I do have a "permanent" connection at home. The problem is that that connection isn't as permanent as it's implied to be. The idea that I couldn't play Diablo 3 single player without being on the internet is just retarded. My entire ability to play the game I paid for is dependent on my crappy ISP, and Blizzard's ability to keep their servers up? We'll see how wonderful everyone thinks this idea is when anon decides to DDoS bnet.

I'll gladly skip games that try to force such shit on me. I give it about a month before Blizzard announces there'll be ads in Diablo 3.

Creston

Well stated, I couldn't agree more!

132. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:36 Longswd

Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:28:
Longswd wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:27:
Fuck 'em. I was already on the fence about no LAN play, but this alone makes it a no buy. There is so many things wrong with this I'm not going to waste my time listing out all the counter points, I'll just register my dissatisfaction and vote with my wallet instead.

No you won't. You'll buy it, guaranteed.

Also, is LAN play really required nowadays? Internet connections are plenty fast - especially for a game like this.

You could not be more wrong, Son. I would feel dirty buying this and I know better after long years of forums wars to try and argue principles with those who lack them. It's like trying to talk to someone who has their hands clapped over their ears saying "Na Na Na, I can't hear you".

Revel in your stupidity, fool.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo