Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

There's a burst of new Diablo III information available today, as Blizzard brought some folks in to get a look at how their upcoming action/RPG is shaping up. IGN has a preview of the beta, as well as word that the game will require a persistent internet connection. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate," explains Blizzard's Rob Pardo. "Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing. You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated."

There's a post on DiabloFans.com with a big rundown on their experiences along with a FAQ, photos, video, screenshots, and interviews with the developers, taking extra effort to let you avoid major spoilers. There are many revelations, perhaps the most significant of which being the ability to buy and sell in-game items in the auction house for real money. Here's a bit from the FAQ on how this will work:

Don’t Need It? Put It Up For Auction!
Nearly everything found in the game, including gold, can be exchanged with other players directly or through the auction house system. So say you’re a witch doctor and you’ve just found an incredibly rare, incredibly powerful axe that only barbarians can use. In the previous Diablo games your best option might have been to sell the axe to an in-game vendor, but in Diablo III, you now have the ability to list that axe in the auction house for your fellow barbarian players to bid on. And you know another player will probably appreciate the true value of that axe more than some heartless vendor who’ll likely just melt it down for scrap….

Amazing Search Functionality
The auction house’s "smart search" functionality can automatically sort items in the auction house based on which upgrades would be most beneficial to your character. Also, searching for the best gear for multiple characters on the same Battle.net account can be done all from the same interface without having to log out.

The Choice Is Yours
Use of either the real-money or gold-based auction house is completely optional -- that decision can be made on a per-item basis, and both versions of the auction house are functionally the same. In addition, players have the option to simply sell the items they obtain to in-game vendors for gold. They can also trade items to other players through a direct character-to-character trading system in the game in exchange for gold, other items, or just an overwhelming sense of goodwill.

Players Only
Blizzard does not plan to post items for sale in the auction house. The driving purpose of the auction house is to provide players with a fun additional in-game option for what they do with the items they obtain in the game. Items sold in the auction house will be posted by players and purchased by players.

Safe and Sanctified
The real-money auction house provides players with an easy-to-use, Blizzard-sanctioned way to collect money for items they obtain while playing Diablo III. It also helps protect players from the scams and theft often associated with questionable third-party sites by providing a secure, completely in-game method for purchasing and obtaining the items they want for their characters.

View
391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

171. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:30 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:26:
There have been several things already outlined as being positives for consumers. But it's clear many of you wish to ignore those in favor of your individual needs.

The benefits are solely for multiplayer gamers. They offer me NOTHING. And yes, of course I am only interested in my own desires for playing the game. Christ.

The irony is how some people bitched up and down that Torchlight was single-player and the entire point of games like this are multiplayer. Enter D3 an people are bitching that single-player can't be played offline. The irony is laughable.

Maybe those people are in two different camps? Ever think of that? That maybe it's two different styles of people complaining about each issue? Or is that too big a concept for you?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

170. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:30 MacLeod

Dev wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:25:
I really doubt they are going to let anyone cash out to real money, its going to be for some form of in game currency. So the gold farmers will still not be interested in it.

From the Blizzard FAQ:
Can players choose to get cash from currency-based auction house sales, instead of having the proceeds deposited into their Battle.net account?
Yes, as an advanced feature, players will have the option of attaching an account with an approved third-party payment service to their Battle.net account. Once this has been completed, proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house can be deposited into their third-party payment service account. “Cashing out” would then be handled through the third-party payment service. Note that this process will be subject to applicable fees charged by Blizzard and the third-party payment service. Also, any proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house that have been deposited into the Battle.net account will not be transferrable to the third-party payment service account. Not all regions will support this advanced feature at launch. Region-specific details, as well as details regarding which third-party payment services will be supported and the fee that Blizzard will charge for the cash-out process, will all be provided at a later date.

Can we buy gold from the currency-based auction house?
Players will be able to buy and sell gold through the currency-based auction house at whatever the current market price is, as established by the player community.

169. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:26 Krovven

Best argument or not, it's a hell of a lot better than what you just contributed.

You mean the contribution I made showing that people are being hypocrites, have choices and that I still hope they get offline mode anyways?

Statements such as yours and Aseven's just go to show how tunnel visioned you people can be in your emo freakouts over games.

Bhruic wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:14:
But it should be evolving in a way that makes things better for the consumer, not worse.

There have been several things already outlined as being positives for consumers. But it's clear many of you wish to ignore those in favor of your individual needs.

The irony is how some people bitched up and down that Torchlight was single-player and the entire point of games like this are multiplayer. Enter D3 an people are bitching that single-player can't be played offline. The irony is laughable.

168. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:26 Veterator

briktal wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:09:
Veterator wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:01:
And in the games where you can buy things with real cash, it's always been a "Why bother?" kind of scenario. Whether it be third party sites or whatever, it creates a scenario in which farmers thrive. You can't possibly get a "true" value of an item when there's a guy running a couple hundred accounts that farm all day long completely ruining anything remotely fun about the game.

Your point is incorrect because people will farm the hell out of things with millions of bots as long as there are items to get. Perhaps a greater number of people will do that if they can make money out of it, but people will do it for free.

My point was more that adding this to the game doesn't add anything for anyone who doesn't want to buy their way through a game. In fact it probably takes away more game experience than if people had to get things for themselves. Although yes, I do see that bots would exist whether there was cash or not. It just wouldn't be a prevalent part of the game where people were more likely to try to earn a living off of it.

167. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:25 StingingVelvet

Elessar wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:23:
Fuckin A... I'm amazed so many people are bitching about the persistent connection. Maybe I'm just crazy, but real money being used in the AH for gold/items is WAY more important of an issue here.

It's kind of a shame they hit the same day as a double-whammy. They're both important issues to understand and debate.

166. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:25 Dev

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:42:
As for the Auction House, I'll probably sell items for cash, but highly unlikely I'd ever buy anything. This assuming friends I'm playing with can't use the items first.
I really doubt they are going to let anyone cash out to real money, its going to be for some form of in game currency. So the gold farmers will still not be interested in it.
So like you'll buy 10,000 doubloons with $10 or something.

On the other hand... if they DO let you cash out to get real money, you'll see farming of an entirely different sort. This time all the chinese farmers will go legit and play diablo 18 hours a day for rare items, and sell them for real cash. It would certainly raise the sales numbers and online playtime. Now that I think about it, I could see them going this way.

165. Permanent connection required = no buy Aug 1, 2011, 16:24 Objectively biased

Being forced to be online to play single player will make me not buy this game. If I can't play a game solo whenever I want, I won't spend money on it.

Also, there's no problem in having the multiplayer option of "open" (hack all you want) and "battle.net" (their servers), just look at Diablo II.

The only reason Activision/Blizzard do this is to get money from the Auction House, money they wouldn't get if people could hack their characters.

164. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:23 Elessar

Fuckin A... I'm amazed so many people are bitching about the persistent connection. Maybe I'm just crazy, but real money being used in the AH for gold/items is WAY more important of an issue here.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

163. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:20 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:14:
Uhhm, what? I quoted your whole sentence. You have stated several times already that you will consider pirating the game, even though you claim to have never done so before (in adult life). Would you like me to quote those to? Should you choose to do that, then all Im saying is you better buy the game first, otherwise you are part of the problem. But based on other threads lately, it's become clear that comprehension is not your strong suit.

Quoting one sentence from paragraphs is selectively quoting. That's not a complicated concept to grasp there. As for the rest of your post I said pretty bluntly that I doubt I could ever play a game I didn't pay for. Why not quote that part? Oh right, because it doesn't serve your desire to paint me as something I am not.

The simple fact of the matter is that Blizzard are telling me they don't want singleplayer gamer business. I am more than happy to in turn not give them my business.

162. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:19 HorrorScope

killer_roach wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:17:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:13:
That is correct, they quoted me in Sept they would, I got another ISP 3x faster download, 4x faster upload and $20 cheaper with no-cap. A real fight is to get more competition in the ISP world where it's shrinking again, Al Fraken is fighting it now in congress (if you like him or not).

I rec'd a letter stating I have gone over it. The FAQ the letter pointed it made it clear. It started with 100,000 mp3's, 300,000 photo's yada yada. It ended with exactly this 20 SD movies or 10 HD movies. Being a streamer only (which I'm not, family of 4) I blow right past that. I told them this family is moving forward, will be using more and now has found a better ISP overall. Also dropped home lan line at that time. Total win for me, they can think this is good for them, but it may comeback to really bite their asses.

My point here is, this really affected me and I took action. Making a game require a persistent connection doesn't affect me. I won't say it doesn't someone else, but if you are like me imo if you have a solid connection this isn't that big of an issue. Limiting your bandwidth which is coming from many places right now to me seems like a bigger concern.

Yeah, whereas for me by switching to AT&T I saved money and got much faster downstream (and slightly slower upstream, sadly), but more importantly actual connection reliability. Then again, I'm in an area covered by U-Verse, so that probably makes a bit of a difference in terms of service versus bog-standard DSL.

Yep I can't get uverse and that is the difference. Perhaps those in that plan won't be targeted for caps, but ATT also is capping cells usage as well. Face it they are a huge mogal, that is what they do these days, chip away.

161. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:17 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:13:
That is correct, they quoted me in Sept they would, I got another ISP 3x faster download, 4x faster upload and $20 cheaper with no-cap. A real fight is to get more competition in the ISP world where it's shrinking again, Al Fraken is fighting it now in congress (if you like him or not).

I rec'd a letter stating I have gone over it. The FAQ the letter pointed it made it clear. It started with 100,000 mp3's, 300,000 photo's yada yada. It ended with exactly this 20 SD movies or 10 HD movies. Being a streamer only (which I'm not, family of 4) I blow right past that. I told them this family is moving forward, will be using more and now has found a better ISP overall. Also dropped home lan line at that time. Total win for me, they can think this is good for them, but it may comeback to really bite their asses.

My point here is, this really affected me and I took action. Making a game require a persistent connection doesn't affect me. I won't say it doesn't someone else, but if you are like me imo if you have a solid connection this isn't that big of an issue. Limiting your bandwidth which is coming from many places right now to me seems like a bigger concern.

Yeah, whereas for me by switching to AT&T I saved money and got much faster downstream (and slightly slower upstream, sadly), but more importantly actual connection reliability. Then again, I'm in an area covered by U-Verse, so that probably makes a bit of a difference in terms of service versus bog-standard DSL.

160. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:16 Kawlisse

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:51:
This is such an unbelievably idiotic post I don't even know where to begin. First off, being pissed and being mad are essentially the same thing.

Also, if they are so evil, why play their games at all? Oh yea, because you wanna play them, but not pay for them.

Not my fault if you dont understand my post, I played WoW for a long 7 years, so I dont care to pay for a game, I always bought the games that I play. especially ID Software games, Amazing company! What I dont like is the Hypocrites at Blizz, banning people from WoW and now it will be alright because they get their share ! I wouldn't be surprised if they implement this in WoW ! I did bought gold in Vanilla WOW I farmed to get my epic mount, was short 200gold back them and decided to just buy the rest. and I am all for buying selling Aesthetics items in games, but something that could give an advantage to the more fortunate people ? Just take World of Tanks, 50$ for a freaking tank !! and that tank is OP and you can also buy Better Ammo with real money !

Also the Always online attitude really pisses me off ! if I want to play solo I dont want to authenticate to a server. this is just ridiculous. And the Evil part, I stopped playing WoW when they announce premium crap and I will definitely not be purchasing Diablo III,(and EA I havent bought a game from them since NHL96) I will vote my opinion with my wallet. Now you are entitled to think and believe what you want of me I dont really care, of what some dude thinks of me behind his keyboard. I respect you opinions so please respect mine. talking trash because you dont like what I write is useless.

159. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:14 Krovven

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:08:
Hahahaha... you're fucking hilarious.

Glad I could amuse. Also shows you have no actual retort.

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:08:
Don't selectively quote me and treat me like a pirate, jackass.

Uhhm, what? I quoted your whole sentence. You have stated several times already that you will consider pirating the game, even though you claim to have never done so before (in adult life). Would you like me to quote those to? Should you choose to do that, then all Im saying is you better buy the game first, otherwise you are part of the problem. But based on other threads lately, it's become clear that comprehension is not your strong suit.

158. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:14 Bhruic

Seriously, your best argument is that "D1 & D2 could be played offline"? Things change, designs change, technology changes, the game industry would be so fucked if it hadn't evolved from how it did things 15 years ago when Diablo came out.

Best argument or not, it's a hell of a lot better than what you just contributed. Yeah, the game industry evolves. But it should be evolving in a way that makes things better for the consumer, not worse. If you are going to require an online connection to play single player, you damn well better be offering something substantial to make it worth it. And what is Blizzard offering the solo player? Jack shit.

All of the Battle.net features are built around multiplayer and socialization. They aren't making a better single player experience, they are making a worse one. Evolution? Not hardly.

157. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:13 HorrorScope

killer_roach wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:01:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:55:
This isn't even a cause imo. Now if it had a real affect, if for say you truly didn't have a good internet connection. Yes I would then not buy it and let Blizzard know. Less then a week ago I left ATT over the 150 gig limit per month, it did affect me and I did what I had to, cancel.

Funny thing is, I'm an AT&T customer, and they still haven't actually implemented the usage stuff for my account, or for pretty much anyone else's. I don't have any limit, much less the 250GB/month one.

156. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:12 ASeven

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:55:

This isn't even a cause imo. Now if it had a real affect, if for say you truly didn't have a good internet connection. Yes I would then not buy it and let Blizzard know. Less then a week ago I left ATT over the 150 gig limit per month, it did affect me and I did what I had to, cancel.

Let me give you the example of something that started very small, with nobody caring and having the same attitude (it's not a cause, it's something small, etc) as some people here:

The copyright laws had the intent of fomenting creativity. On modern times, however, certain lobbies have pushed, behind secrecy, for criminal laws to punish copyright infrigement, laws that are so strict in theory people charged with manslaughter could get away with less prison time than someone uploading mp3s. These laws also strip pretty much a lot of day-to-day privacy for the common citizen.

People had the attitude, at first, that since they don't infringe they had nothing to worry about and scarily enough when these laws started to be talked about it had even less dimension in the media than this debacle with ubidrm and now d3.

As more and more was known of some of those laws and treaties, more and more people started to get scared withtheir broadness in our lives. Even those who scoffed at people who were against it at first now are worried.

These laws and treaties are today known as ACTA, PROTECTIP, Digital Economy Act, etc. The reason I compare them to this is that the development of something harmless to many to serious, major shit can be compared with the same way this drm debacle is developng, especially in taking away consumer rights. And it can only get worse, that is if we let it.

Just because something seems small and unimportant doesn't mean it will stay so, and if you look long term at the ramifications that might develop, then something must be done while this is small and we still have a say.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2011, 16:18.

155. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:09 briktal

Veterator wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:01:
And in the games where you can buy things with real cash, it's always been a "Why bother?" kind of scenario. Whether it be third party sites or whatever, it creates a scenario in which farmers thrive. You can't possibly get a "true" value of an item when there's a guy running a couple hundred accounts that farm all day long completely ruining anything remotely fun about the game.

Your point is incorrect because people will farm the hell out of things with millions of bots as long as there are items to get. Perhaps a greater number of people will do that if they can make money out of it, but people will do it for free.

154. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:09 Dev

Wasn't part of the reason people loved offline on d2, so that they could test a couple of high end weapons they didn't yet have (i.e. cheat to get them) and see which one was slightly better so they knew which one to go and try and get with their online character (or test runes, or whatever)? Min/maxing kinda stuff.

I expected the online only thing from starcraft 2 though. It was obvious blizzard with its new masters was moving in that direction for future games. Oh, and I'm sure there also won't be any LAN play with this either.

The auction house for real money, and all these other moves. Just more signs of WoWification of the game. The bright art style was the first sign of it from the beginning.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2011, 16:16.

153. removed Aug 1, 2011, 16:08 StingingVelvet

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 1, 2011, 17:39.

152. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:03 Krovven

For one thing Guild Wars was not the sequel to two offline games. For another thing Guild Wars never advertised itself as a singleplayer and multiplayer game. Lastly, Guild Wars was boring as shit when played solo and was obviously built around coop.

All of which are irrelevant. The only difference between Diablo and Guild Wars is GW was designed around being online only. Seriously, your best argument is that "D1 & D2 could be played offline"? Things change, designs change, technology changes, the game industry would be so fucked if it hadn't evolved from how it did things 15 years ago when Diablo came out.

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:44:
It makes the pirate copy the one that is worth more to me.

And if you do so without purchasing it first, then you are a part of the problem and nothing you say matters.

391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo