Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

There's a burst of new Diablo III information available today, as Blizzard brought some folks in to get a look at how their upcoming action/RPG is shaping up. IGN has a preview of the beta, as well as word that the game will require a persistent internet connection. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate," explains Blizzard's Rob Pardo. "Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing. You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated."

There's a post on DiabloFans.com with a big rundown on their experiences along with a FAQ, photos, video, screenshots, and interviews with the developers, taking extra effort to let you avoid major spoilers. There are many revelations, perhaps the most significant of which being the ability to buy and sell in-game items in the auction house for real money. Here's a bit from the FAQ on how this will work:

Don’t Need It? Put It Up For Auction!
Nearly everything found in the game, including gold, can be exchanged with other players directly or through the auction house system. So say you’re a witch doctor and you’ve just found an incredibly rare, incredibly powerful axe that only barbarians can use. In the previous Diablo games your best option might have been to sell the axe to an in-game vendor, but in Diablo III, you now have the ability to list that axe in the auction house for your fellow barbarian players to bid on. And you know another player will probably appreciate the true value of that axe more than some heartless vendor who’ll likely just melt it down for scrap….

Amazing Search Functionality
The auction house’s "smart search" functionality can automatically sort items in the auction house based on which upgrades would be most beneficial to your character. Also, searching for the best gear for multiple characters on the same Battle.net account can be done all from the same interface without having to log out.

The Choice Is Yours
Use of either the real-money or gold-based auction house is completely optional -- that decision can be made on a per-item basis, and both versions of the auction house are functionally the same. In addition, players have the option to simply sell the items they obtain to in-game vendors for gold. They can also trade items to other players through a direct character-to-character trading system in the game in exchange for gold, other items, or just an overwhelming sense of goodwill.

Players Only
Blizzard does not plan to post items for sale in the auction house. The driving purpose of the auction house is to provide players with a fun additional in-game option for what they do with the items they obtain in the game. Items sold in the auction house will be posted by players and purchased by players.

Safe and Sanctified
The real-money auction house provides players with an easy-to-use, Blizzard-sanctioned way to collect money for items they obtain while playing Diablo III. It also helps protect players from the scams and theft often associated with questionable third-party sites by providing a secure, completely in-game method for purchasing and obtaining the items they want for their characters.

View
391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

51. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:52 Mr. Tact

Deathbishop wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:44:
So I take it everyone bitching never plays single player Steam games or plays them in offline mode online?

How is this any different?

Yes, I do play all my Steam games in offline mode. And it's different because I can't be offline and play D3.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:50 Wolfen

Deathbishop wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:44:
So I take it everyone bitching never plays single player Steam games or plays them in offline mode online?

Uhmm, I have the option to play my SP games in offline mode? Different enough for me.

49. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:46 bhcompy

Techie714 © wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 11:48:
bhcompy wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 11:42:
Real money sales means tax implications. Since Blizzard is based in CA, that means that CA residents will be charged tax on purchases. Sellers will also have to pay tax on their earnings. Bad juju, this is

Shit, you are correct I didn't think about that. *If you lived in California that would be a concern given our taxes here*

Technically speaking, even if you are outside of CA you are still liable for those sales taxes, but the states have no way of enforcing that(though some states require all online vendors to collect a flat sales tax, like NY). The income you make from it is subject to federal and state income taxes. Again, you're liable, just hard to enforce. You're liable when you sell stuff on eBay, too.

48. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:45 Tumbler

Value of product just plummeted in my book. Not going to pay $50 for something I can't play anytime I want. Hmm, tap tap tap, oh my bad. Not going to pay $60 for something I can't play anytime I want.

A game with these kinds of restrictions is worth maybe $30 at launch to me. $30 if there is nothing else that I want to play and this is just staring me in the face. I don't see an official release date but unless it comes out in the next 2 weeks I think I'm going to have too much to play to be tempted to spend $30, let alone $60, to play this game when I can play so many others without this BS to deal with.

I bought DCS Black Shark Recently for $40 and was VERY HAPPY. Then A10 was on sale on steam for $40. Even though I got it on sale when an activation screen came up and said I had 9 or 10 left it really got my blood boiling. How fucking dare you say that shit to me when I just spent money on your software. You have the fucking balls to say that shit to me... Changed my opinion of those games after that.

I have no patience for being treated like this even on amazing titles such as DCS A10 and black shark. I should have stuck with Black Shark because now I have a bad taste in my mouth from installing A10.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

47. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:44 Deathbishop

46. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:42 Krovven

Sucks for the people that don't have a persistent internet connection.

I'll still get D3 anyways. It's no different than say Guild Wars, which requires an internet connection to play it single player. People sing that games praises and don't fuss over this issue.

As for the Auction House, I'll probably sell items for cash, but highly unlikely I'd ever buy anything. This assuming friends I'm playing with can't use the items first.

45. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:42 Wolfen

Yeah. Insta-fail in my book as well. I am now looking more forward to Grim Dawn (not that I wasn't looking forward to it in the first place). This news did make my deciding factor in not buying the game.

I wish they would at least offer a never online version at least. I can give two ***** about playing this game online. I just like a good SP hack n slash.

44. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:41 Kajetan

Annex wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 11:24:
Like I always say, if you dont like it, play something else. Cmon Torchlight 2!

TORCHLIGHT 2!
TORCHLIGHT 2!
TORCHLIGHT 2!

C'mon, let's summon it

43. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:41 Dagnamit

As someone with a job and a persistent internet connection, I can say I'm looking forward to Diablo 3. If Blizzard has real money item vendors in the game, I will be pissed.

How is this different than someone buying gold in WoW and then using that gold to purchase a powerful item? I'd rather Blizzard get a cut, than a goddam botting gold farmer. Shame on them for wanting to make money on their game by taking advantage of a system that players are already using! Damn them to hell!

42. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:32 MattyC

Prez wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:12:
MattyC wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:10:
Prez wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:01:
So, no offline mode for SP as with Starcraft 2?

Regardless of the reason, being required to be online 100% of the time in SP is asinine. No purchase for me.

Not sure where you got your info. StarCraft 2 has an offline mode.

I know - that's what I meant. I should have said "So no offline mode for SP as there is with SC2?" That would have been clearer.

Ah ok.

As for the always online I don't like it but I must admit 1) I don't think I ever played D2 offline and 2) I can understand why they would do it that way if they are serious about keeping hackers/cheaters out.

The for cash AH sounds stupid to me, but since I will pretty much only play with friends I can more or less 'opt out' of it. That and it was going to exist either way. If it wasn't though Blizzard it would be through someone else.

41. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:29 nin

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 11:26:
It's much much easier to swallow if you just add these three letters to the end of Diablo III and those are MMO. It's for all intensive purposes one now and to be hones millions have been ok with it. That said, there will be comment hell to pay!

Pretty much my exact thought. It's Diablo Online, and if you don't like it, I'm pretty sure Torchlight 2 will be a suitable alternative.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

40. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:28 Wallshadows

Welcome to the 21st century and it's unfortunate if your ISP or hardware sucks to the point where it actually has an impact on what you can and cannot play with an internet connection.

Hell, I played all through Diablo 2 on a 33.6k dial up connection way out in the sticks and I can't recall ever having issues playing the game online aside from higher latency.

For me, I barely touched the single player campaign for Diablo 2 so having a persistent internet connection is no shock to me which is likely the case for most who played closed/ladder Diablo 2...

...unless you were one of those open battle net baddies who used single player campaign to go all Jamella on your character.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2011, 12:36.

39. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:26 Prez

Darks wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:24:
Prez wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:20:
You guys who insist that if we are unhappy about this then it means we must have crappy internet connections are basically trolling. You know damn well that there is a pervasive fundamental objection to be required to be online for a singleplayer game on the part of many gamers.

My connection is 100% stable, but that is entirely besides the point. Even with a stable connection on my side, I can't speak for Bnet. All I know is that I got tired of losing connection to Bnet servers, sometimes twice a mission in SC2, so I only play offline.

Got a question for ya? Seeing how you think that connection of yours is very stable, how do you account for other routers and gateways that might have interruptions and possible causes you connection to drop? Plus, I want to know what happens if you’re playing Coop and someone’s connection drops. Either by lag or the so called unexpected interruptions that do happen. Is their drop in drop out coop? If not this is going to be a very big issue with many players.

All excellent questions that serve to illustrate my point further. There's more to it than just what the "Why are you guys crying - don't you have a stable connection?" crowd says.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:24 Darks

Prez wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:20:
You guys who insist that if we are unhappy about this then it means we must have crappy internet connections are basically trolling. You know damn well that there is a pervasive fundamental objection to be required to be online for a singleplayer game on the part of many gamers.

My connection is 100% stable, but that is entirely besides the point. Even with a stable connection on my side, I can't speak for Bnet. All I know is that I got tired of losing connection to Bnet servers, sometimes twice a mission in SC2, so I only play offline.

Got a question for ya? Seeing how you think that connection of yours is very stable, how do you account for other routers and gateways that might have interruptions and possibly causes your connection to drop? Plus, I want to know what happens if you’re playing Coop and someone’s connection drops. Either by lag or the so called unexpected interruptions that do happen. Is their drop in drop out coop? If not this is going to be a very big issue with many players.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

37. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:23 Cutter

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:06:
007Bistromath wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:03:
Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 11:52:
There is ZERO need to be constantly connected. This is just another Acti-Bliz ploy to blahblahblah
With any other game, you'd have a point, but with Diablo II, it was more like "there is ZERO reason to make an offline character." Same deal here, only you don't have the option of doing something that had no purpose to begin with. Nothing to complain about.

Says you. I played Diablo II offline plenty when I was traveling and didn't always have Internet access. I also principally played the game solo because this just in: Most online games are full of idiots. There's plenty of reasons to make an offline character. They may not apply to you and that's fine, they don't apply to everyone. Some people who travel like to play games and don't always have the Internet nearby. The lack of a continually available Internet connection (not even taking into account how unreliable many ISPs are) is not nearly as common as many (particularly those who live in cities) assume.

Indeed. Why do I need to be online to play solo? And as more ISPs are implementing bandwith caps and lowering them to increase their revenue this style of gaming is just one more unnecessary problem for the end user. Is Blizzard going to pay my ISP if I go over the cap? What if internet is down or I don't have access to a connection? Why do I want Blizzard tracking my playing habits? I gave them their money for their product, now fuckoff and leave me alone.

Imagine if this is the future of all products and services? Want to drive to work? Better check in with Ford head office first. Want to buy some bananas from the grocery store? Better check in with Dole and let them know.

As we previously stated we had offline and online characters for the other games and it worked just fine so why fuck with it? No, this is about greed, plain and simple. We can only hope there's an even bigger backlash with this than with Blizzards last moronic idea of Real_Id.

P.S. Go over to the official forums and let them know it's BS!

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2011, 12:29.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

36. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:20 Darks

Great, with the AH they have now opened the door to every low life scumbag gold farmer in the world. And have now succeeded in turning the game into their next MMO.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

35. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:20 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:17 Paketep

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:12:
It's funny how despite the fact that 99% of the people who plan to the buy the game have a solid, persistent internet connection, they now say they won't out of principle. Who exactly are you trying to fool?

Obviously, about 99% of the people who plan to buy the game HAVE a persistent internet connection.

The problem is those who PLANNED to buy the game before this.

PC Gamers always tout about having the latest and greatest tech over consoles and blah blah, but they can't seem to have an 100% online connection. Funny how that works isn't it?

Blah blah indeed is what I'm getting from your posts. Love your numbers without any backing, BTW.

Oh, and I will be enjoying both Torchlight 2 and Diablo III.

Good for you. Again "if I'm not affected, why should I care"?. You're a real asset to the community, mate.

33. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:14 Paketep

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:05:
Sucks to the 12 people who don't have persistent online collection.

You should revise that number way higher, and add those who have a flaky connection.

And then add those of us who prefer single player or LAN play and want nothing to do with BNet.

But hey, there are some like you. "If it doesn't affect me, why should I care?".

32. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 12:12 Cram

Having only ever played the Diablo franchise online over the last 15 years, I won't make any noise about constant online connection required. That's how I've always played anyway, and if this change helps filter out some of sh*t that plagued D1 and D2 online, great.

I will hold off final judgement on the AH situations until a little after release, though admittedly I'm not very excited about it at this time. Would have been nice if they left it a Gold-Only AH, and found another way to combat the third party websites selling stuff.

391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo