Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

There's a burst of new Diablo III information available today, as Blizzard brought some folks in to get a look at how their upcoming action/RPG is shaping up. IGN has a preview of the beta, as well as word that the game will require a persistent internet connection. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate," explains Blizzard's Rob Pardo. "Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing. You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated."

There's a post on DiabloFans.com with a big rundown on their experiences along with a FAQ, photos, video, screenshots, and interviews with the developers, taking extra effort to let you avoid major spoilers. There are many revelations, perhaps the most significant of which being the ability to buy and sell in-game items in the auction house for real money. Here's a bit from the FAQ on how this will work:

Don’t Need It? Put It Up For Auction!
Nearly everything found in the game, including gold, can be exchanged with other players directly or through the auction house system. So say you’re a witch doctor and you’ve just found an incredibly rare, incredibly powerful axe that only barbarians can use. In the previous Diablo games your best option might have been to sell the axe to an in-game vendor, but in Diablo III, you now have the ability to list that axe in the auction house for your fellow barbarian players to bid on. And you know another player will probably appreciate the true value of that axe more than some heartless vendor who’ll likely just melt it down for scrap….

Amazing Search Functionality
The auction house’s "smart search" functionality can automatically sort items in the auction house based on which upgrades would be most beneficial to your character. Also, searching for the best gear for multiple characters on the same Battle.net account can be done all from the same interface without having to log out.

The Choice Is Yours
Use of either the real-money or gold-based auction house is completely optional -- that decision can be made on a per-item basis, and both versions of the auction house are functionally the same. In addition, players have the option to simply sell the items they obtain to in-game vendors for gold. They can also trade items to other players through a direct character-to-character trading system in the game in exchange for gold, other items, or just an overwhelming sense of goodwill.

Players Only
Blizzard does not plan to post items for sale in the auction house. The driving purpose of the auction house is to provide players with a fun additional in-game option for what they do with the items they obtain in the game. Items sold in the auction house will be posted by players and purchased by players.

Safe and Sanctified
The real-money auction house provides players with an easy-to-use, Blizzard-sanctioned way to collect money for items they obtain while playing Diablo III. It also helps protect players from the scams and theft often associated with questionable third-party sites by providing a secure, completely in-game method for purchasing and obtaining the items they want for their characters.

View
391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

111. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:06 Krovven

I just want to know, of those saying how horrible a required persistent internet connection is and they will not buy D3 because of it...how many bought and played Guild Wars?

I've had a persistent high speed internet connection for 15 years now (give or take a couple). I've been playing online-only games for most of that time. Know what happens during the very occasional time my internet is down? I do/play something else. Shocking, I know.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

110. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:05 Mr. Tact

I'm not trying to fool anyone. When I play a single player game I believe there is no reason I should be required to have an internet connection to the company which created the game. It is stupid. I don't like stupid. Additionally, I don't want my single player game to be interrupted by an internet issue on my side, on the game company's side, or somewhere in-between. Nor do I want that company to have the capacity to disallow my playing of that game by purposely shutting their service down, for whatever the reason.

I am not opposed to on-line games. I have played World of Warcraft for six years. However, requiring me to treat a single player game as if it were an on-line game is stupid and I refuse to participate in that stupidity.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

109. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:05 KilrathiAce

Its not an mmo, its a game where one should expect to play it alone on a pc/laptop anywhere not necessarly online, but it seems blizzard wants to take that right away. Lol, well at least they are not as bad as UBI who actually suck at everything including game support, Blizzard actually makes good games and supports them well but this is bad bad mistake.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

108. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:02 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 14:50:
A smart-ass could say "go get a f'in good ISP already!"

Which is really helpful to people who live in an area that's serviced by exactly 1 ISP. Which, as of the last broadband consensus, was approximately 2/3rds of the continental US. Smart-ass.

And sure, I COULD play it online. I do have a "permanent" connection at home. The problem is that that connection isn't as permanent as it's implied to be. The idea that I couldn't play Diablo 3 single player without being on the internet is just retarded. My entire ability to play the game I paid for is dependent on my crappy ISP, and Blizzard's ability to keep their servers up? We'll see how wonderful everyone thinks this idea is when anon decides to DDoS bnet.

I'll gladly skip games that try to force such shit on me. I give it about a month before Blizzard announces there'll be ads in Diablo 3.

Creston

107. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:57 Krakum

Wow - lots of emotions here...

Personally, I'm fine with the persistent internet connection requirement. The only reason I stopped playing D1/D2 online was due to all of the hacking, duplication, etc.

As for the auction house situation, I'll reserve judgement till I get to actually see it for myself.

That being said, once all of the piss-n-vinegar settles down, you know you'll be buying it... no virtual soapbox stands the test of time.

106. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:50 HorrorScope

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 12:12:
It's funny how despite the fact that 99% of the people who plan to the buy the game have a solid, persistent internet connection, they now say they won't out of principle. Who exactly are you trying to fool?

I've been wondering this one for about 2 years now. Most play online games, those require persistent connections. Farmville the biggest game ever played by mere amatuer gamers deal with this and hardcores can't?

Some are saying I'm going to Torchlight 2 now. Just a heads up Torchlight 3 will be going 100% persistent as well. So it's a matter of time anywhere you turn.

Yes I do rely heavily on my internet, right now as I type I'm putting a lot of faith in it like my electricity provider. Good thing it almost always is up.

I never could really go along with the hate towards this and always felt for the most case it was a cry from pirates and to that I'm glad they hate it, they do me no good, they are more of a problem for me then DRM.

A smart-ass could say "go get a f'in good ISP already!"

BlueNews relies on users having a solid connection.

105. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:49 Slashman

Well I didn't buy SC2 and so it's not going to impact my life if I don't buy D3 over this silliness.

The solution to online and offline play is simple. Do exactly this with multiplayer characters only. Have nothing of those characters stored anywhere on the player's system. But have an offline option that let's them create a character that resides on their machines only.

I still don't get where the problem is with doing that. I don't even imagine that its difficult. If you want to tie stats and achievements to online characters only...then fine. I can live without those if I want to play the game single player.

Also, I expect that D3 will be a best seller: it's a Blizzard game. I, however, am under no obligation to help it along. At this point, give me CD Projekt over Blizzard any day.

The game will still be cracked and available for single play to pirates anyway. They better hope some incensed players don't pull a DDoS on launch day as happened to Ubisoft.

104. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:49 Prez

Bhruic wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 14:32:

You know, if only 1 game came out a year, you might be right, I might give in and buy it. But there are dozens, if not hundreds of PC games coming out. They are all in competition for my money. Diablo III just lost that competition.

Same here. I know Blizzard won't exactly go to the poor house over my lost sale, but like Bhruic says, it's not like I don't have a crapton of other games I can play, so it's not really any skin off my nose either.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

103. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:34 ASeven

Pankin wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 14:25:
To be clear: I do not question the sincerity of your outrage because I think you're entitled to it. I question your ability to follow through.

I haven't bought any ubidrm title.
I didn't buy sc2
I sure as fuck won't touch d3. It is only a game after all.

That said, this will end up being the most sold game ever. I won't compromise my integrity over a shiny thing though.

102. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:32 Bhruic

I'm gonna go ahead and boldly call B.S. on those Bluesies here who said they're no longer buying Diablo 3. I just don't believe you.

You'll still buy it and I think you probably know it.

You know, if only 1 game came out a year, you might be right, I might give in and buy it. But there are dozens, if not hundreds of PC games coming out. They are all in competition for my money. Diablo III just lost that competition.

101. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:30 eRe4s3r

Ehem, i neither bought Starcraft 2 nor am i going to buy Diablo 3. Its not like games are an addiction you can't get around, and theres been dozens of good games coming out.

Not to mention with Skyrim and creating mods for that + Deus EX HR, Diablo 3 becomes completely irrelevant as a "must buy game"

I only buy games i enjoy playing, and being forced to play something i want to play offline, online, does not make me happy, and if i am not happy while playing a game, then theres no reason to play it

It doesn't help that i am not very happy about anything Blizzard does lately and this automatically affects what i think when playing a game (i guess you can never get around preconceptions and opinions ,p)

100. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:29 Creston

Pankin wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 14:25:
I'm gonna go ahead and boldly call B.S. on those Bluesies here who said they're no longer buying Diablo 3. I just don't believe you.

Good for you, son. I'm glad you've got the combined wisdom of the entire world at your fingertips.

Please tell us some more secrets of our inner psyches, oh mystical guru.

Creston

99. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:25 briktal

Isn't this the purpose of money?  

98. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:25 Pankin

You'll still buy it and I think you probably know it.

You're familiar with the scenario: it's game launch day (or maybe GLD+1 or +2) and all the forums are ablaze. YouTube "Let's Play" videos start popping up already and the footage looks great so you buy it...begrudgingly perhaps, but you buy it anyway.

And like it was mentioned earlier in this thread: Blizzard and all the other Blizzard wannabes will point to the sales figures for D3 and proclaim that this type of DRM has been accepted by even the most cynical PC gamer. Suddenly, persistent online DRM will emerge on another AAA title. And another and another...

To be clear: I do not question the sincerity of your outrage because I think you're entitled to it. I question your ability to follow through.

97. Re: No Modding, No Lan, No sale. Aug 1, 2011, 14:25 eRe4s3r

To be honest, i never played D2 on battle.net .. only one of the big mods on assorted servers and before the mods, only locally and SP and online with friends.

I think actually, that games like D2 and D3 are not something i ever want to play with random strangers (same with all coop games)

96. Re: No Modding, No Lan, No sale. Aug 1, 2011, 14:20 SimplyMonk

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 14:10:
And RM transactions for Items.. in a game like D3 whose only hook is "finding random items", is the god damn stupidest idea i ever heard. Its like they intentionally ruin the only thing that D3 is about.. wow

If you've looked at D2 recently, or in the past 2 years for that matter, this RM transactions already exist. It is just done by third parties that run farming bots. Blizzard is just trying to get a cut of that market, hopefully reduce the bot farming and possibly lower their CS costs by reducing the amount of complaints coming from players that get screwed over by the third parties.

95. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:20 Zyr

As someone that has put 100s of hours into StarCraft 2 and enjoys the hell out of that game despite the hatred for it here...

This is complete bullshit. The AH issue alone is a dealbreaker.

94. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:18 Red

Everything is online these days. I don't even turn on my computer if the cable modem is blinking mockingly because it's lost its connection. Whether you call it DRM or Online or MMO or whatever, it all amounts to the same thing. In fact, any game which doesn't innately support online achievements, match-making, etc is generally looked down upon these days so actually requiring a connection just feels like a "duh."

I never played D2 offline. I also abandoned old and created new heroes after every ladder reset. If it's not ladder/online, it's not even worth playing. Offline just feels dirty.

Not saying these games are related, but I'm a huge Guild Wars fan. It requires me to be online to play. I almost never even play with other people (solo+heroes!). Not only does requiring a connection not bother me in the least, I definitely prefer the advantages. My characters, account, etc are all online. I can format or build a new gaming machine, download the web install client, run the game, and everything I ever had, even my hotkey mappings, are perfectly in-tact. Thanks internet! No more backups of local gaming data needed. This is how I want all my games to work. I just want to log in and see all my stuff and progress and hotkeys there waiting for me.

93. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:15 killer_roach

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:59:
Great. This just went from a Must Buy, to a Do Not Buy game.

Fuck you Actiblizzard.

Since when has anything Blizzard done been a Must Buy? This isn't Blackthorne or Warcraft II times anymore.

92. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 14:14 Bhruic

Which was the only correct way to play D2 anyway.

Sorry, but the votes came in for your attempt to crown yourself "King of how to play D2 correctly", and you lost. Better luck next time.

391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo