Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

There's a burst of new Diablo III information available today, as Blizzard brought some folks in to get a look at how their upcoming action/RPG is shaping up. IGN has a preview of the beta, as well as word that the game will require a persistent internet connection. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate," explains Blizzard's Rob Pardo. "Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing. You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated."

There's a post on DiabloFans.com with a big rundown on their experiences along with a FAQ, photos, video, screenshots, and interviews with the developers, taking extra effort to let you avoid major spoilers. There are many revelations, perhaps the most significant of which being the ability to buy and sell in-game items in the auction house for real money. Here's a bit from the FAQ on how this will work:

Don’t Need It? Put It Up For Auction!
Nearly everything found in the game, including gold, can be exchanged with other players directly or through the auction house system. So say you’re a witch doctor and you’ve just found an incredibly rare, incredibly powerful axe that only barbarians can use. In the previous Diablo games your best option might have been to sell the axe to an in-game vendor, but in Diablo III, you now have the ability to list that axe in the auction house for your fellow barbarian players to bid on. And you know another player will probably appreciate the true value of that axe more than some heartless vendor who’ll likely just melt it down for scrap….

Amazing Search Functionality
The auction house’s "smart search" functionality can automatically sort items in the auction house based on which upgrades would be most beneficial to your character. Also, searching for the best gear for multiple characters on the same Battle.net account can be done all from the same interface without having to log out.

The Choice Is Yours
Use of either the real-money or gold-based auction house is completely optional -- that decision can be made on a per-item basis, and both versions of the auction house are functionally the same. In addition, players have the option to simply sell the items they obtain to in-game vendors for gold. They can also trade items to other players through a direct character-to-character trading system in the game in exchange for gold, other items, or just an overwhelming sense of goodwill.

Players Only
Blizzard does not plan to post items for sale in the auction house. The driving purpose of the auction house is to provide players with a fun additional in-game option for what they do with the items they obtain in the game. Items sold in the auction house will be posted by players and purchased by players.

Safe and Sanctified
The real-money auction house provides players with an easy-to-use, Blizzard-sanctioned way to collect money for items they obtain while playing Diablo III. It also helps protect players from the scams and theft often associated with questionable third-party sites by providing a secure, completely in-game method for purchasing and obtaining the items they want for their characters.

View
391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

131. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:33 Krovven

ASeven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:19:
Good for you, however you, fortunately, are not the world.

Never said I was genius. Way to attack me, rather than coming up with something at all meaningful to contribute.

D3 is primarily an online multiplayer game, that also happens to be able to played solo. They are going with persistent online required this time. That's your problem to deal with.

The logical solution...play D3 when you have the internet connection. If you are in a situation where you dont have internet, play something else.

The holier than thou attitude of "no offline mode or I won't buy" just comes across as pathetic from many of the posters.

As for referring to people that don't agree with you as, "lowest common denominator, no principals, megalomania, retarded and should use their brains", you need to grow the fuck up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

130. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:32 PHJF

I've had a persistent high speed internet connection for 15 years now (give or take a couple). I've been playing online-only games for most of that time. Know what happens during the very occasional time my internet is down? I do/play something else. Shocking, I know.

You know, there were times when BNet went down and nobody could play D2 online.

You know what we did? We played offline. Shocking.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

129. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:32 entr0py

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:14:
heroin wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:07:
You know D3 and GW2 are not similar game experiences.

Nobody has compared it to GW2, because its not out yet and we dont know the format of the game.

Guild Wars however can be played both single-player or multiplayer co-op. Which is EXACTLY the same as the Diablo games. Guild Wars requires an internet connection, even if you are playing solo with bots. This is no different than what is being bitched about here for D3.

No, Guild Wars was never truly single player. There were no single player hub areas or cities. You could do the instanced missions with bots if you wanted to. But there are plenty of MMOs where you can start an instance solo if you choose to. The bot teammates were a unique feature, but that doesn't transform it into a single player game.

128. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:31 ASeven

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:24:

Good for you, however you, fortunately, are not the world. But hey, you love being the lowest common denominator and not having principles. Fine, many others like having principles, many, the vast majority of the world according to recent studies, do not have a persistant net connection, and more and more the isps of people who do have that continuous connection are putting severe bandwidth caps into place.

It is funny how people think that because they have this and that all the world must have it too. Talk about megalomania, and being retarded. These people should use their brains from time to time, would do them good.

I wish you could take your energy and apply it to world affairs, labor laws, wage increases etc. It's a shame to lose these efforts on fighting for persistent online games or not. There are just many more important issues that can use your energy and righteousness. Really.

I belong to amnisty international and some non-profit medical organizations. What do you belong to? Btw, one great fallicy is thinking that you should fight for bigger causes rather than small. The opposite is true, since all big causes and most of the major problems in the world started small.

Shit always starts small, and then gets big, and it gets big due to people's disposition to it being like yours and some others here.

127. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:29 briktal

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:05:
I'm not trying to fool anyone. When I play a single player game I believe there is no reason I should be required to have an internet connection to the company which created the game. It is stupid. I don't like stupid. Additionally, I don't want my single player game to be interrupted by an internet issue on my side, on the game company's side, or somewhere in-between. Nor do I want that company to have the capacity to disallow my playing of that game by purposely shutting their service down, for whatever the reason.

I am not opposed to on-line games. I have played World of Warcraft for six years. However, requiring me to treat a single player game as if it were an on-line game is stupid and I refuse to participate in that stupidity.

I feel similarly, but I guess I just considered Diablo 2 to be an online game.

126. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:28 Sphinx

This thread needs more anger. I've very disappointed in all of you.  
-Sphinx

125. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:28 Fibrocyte

Longswd wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:27:
Fuck 'em. I was already on the fence about no LAN play, but this alone makes it a no buy. There is so many things wrong with this I'm not going to waste my time listing out all the counter points, I'll just register my dissatisfaction and vote with my wallet instead.

No you won't. You'll buy it, guaranteed.

Also, is LAN play really required nowadays? Internet connections are plenty fast - especially for a game like this.

124. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:27 ASeven

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:18:
You are the reason why DRM like this exists. If you don't agree with always online connection..fine, but telling yourself whether torrenting this or not is a moral dillema just adds fuel to the DRM fire. Nice going jackass.

No, you are. Because it takes people like you to eat this shit, buy the game and validating the drm. So it's you, the people who will accept anything to play the latest shiny, that makes this drm possible.

Congrats! You're the real jackass!

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2011, 15:32.

123. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:27 Longswd

Fuck 'em. I was already on the fence about no LAN play, but this alone makes it a no buy. There is so many things wrong with this I'm not going to waste my time listing out all the counter points, I'll just register my dissatisfaction and vote with my wallet instead.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

122. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:27 Fibrocyte

I could care less if it requires a permanent internet connection just to access your character. Really, when do you people NOT have an internet connection? And before you bitch, maybe you need to find a guide on how to tether the internet from your phone.

Some people bitch and complain just to bitch and complain - it makes no sense.

Also, the real money auction house is a brilliant idea. Surely Blizzard will take a small cut and if it gets off the ground that's going to be a very nice income for them.

Well done, Blizzard.

121. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:24 Cram

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:14:
Guild Wars however can be played both single-player or multiplayer co-op. Which is EXACTLY the same as the Diablo games. Guild Wars requires an internet connection, even if you are playing solo with bots. This is no different than what is being bitched about here for D3.

While I am not bothered by persistent connection, I think it is different and can see others points of view.

Diablo 1, 2 and LOD were all playable and supported 100% offline. There is no reason to have not expected that for Diablo 3, and they announce this right before the beta and short to release. Guild Wars, right from its announcement, was understood to be 100% online only. There was absolutely no reason to bitch about that (Guild Wars persistent connection requirement), because right off announcement we were told exactly what Guild Wars was going to be (100% online). They announced D3 years ago, and with a franchise that has had single player offline support for 15 years, it was entirely fair to expect offline play in Diablo 3.

GW and Diablo are also different genres (not so much now I guess with D3). Two different genres with quite separate expectations and gameplay.

120. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:24 HorrorScope

Good for you, however you, fortunately, are not the world. But hey, you love being the lowest common denominator and not having principles. Fine, many others like having principles, many, the vast majority of the world according to recent studies, do not have a persistant net connection, and more and more the isps of people who do have that continuous connection are putting severe bandwidth caps into place.

It is funny how people think that because they have this and that all the world must have it too. Talk about megalomania, and being retarded. These people should use their brains from time to time, would do them good.

I wish you could take your energy and apply it to world affairs, labor laws, wage increases etc. It's a shame to lose these efforts on fighting for persistent online games or not. There are just many more important issues that can use your energy and righteousness. Really.

119. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:22 grudgebearer

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:18:

You are the reason why DRM like this exists.

If the sole reason he is thinking about pirating this, is because of the type of DRM, how then is he part of the reason this particular flavor of DRM is used?

If this is the only time in his adult life he is considering pirating a game, then one can logically conclude that he does not pirate games normally, and doesn't have a problem with other DRM schemes.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

118. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:22 StingingVelvet

MattyC wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:26:
That said I have to wonder if they had called this Hackamaslash or whatever and released it would the rage still be there? I mean I keep reading where people call this DRM and spyware but it seems pretty silly to me. They are just making Diablo 3 an online game. You may not like that, but it doesn't make it DRM or spyware. No one said Guild Wars or a <name a MMO> had always on DRM. Just seems odd to me.

A lot of people like myself played Diablo 2 offline. I have absolutely no interest in multiplayer unless the box says "Battlefield" on it. That's just me. By making this an online only game they are making me have no interest in it.

And yet it's not really a multiplayer only game. They point out in this news that you can play the whole damn thing solo. So why shut me out? Why not have offline characters and online characters exactly like Diablo 2 did? The answer is simple: this is a DRM method.

Always online DRM is supposed to be hated. We hated it with Ubisoft, why would this be any different? Because YOU only want to play multiplayer? Well good for you... you're not everyone.

117. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:19 ASeven

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:06:
I just want to know, of those saying how horrible a required persistent internet connection is and they will not buy D3 because of it...how many bought and played Guild Wars?

I've had a persistent high speed internet connection for 15 years now (give or take a couple). I've been playing online-only games for most of that time. Know what happens during the very occasional time my internet is down? I do/play something else. Shocking, I know.

116. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:18 Rattlehead

Gotta love how the reaction to Ubisoft doing this is "OMG TRAVESTY" and the reaction to Blizzard doing it is much more mixed. "Well, I have internet all the time anyway…"

For one thing I do not have internet all the time, nor do I know anyone who does. It goes down from time to time and just recently I went 4 days without internet due to a wiring issue in the neighborhood. Not to mention moving or whatever else.

I don't play mutliplayer games, that's the end all be all really. By making Diablo 3 a multiplayer only experience Blizzard have removed any desire for me to buy the game. I'm sure this decision will pan out for them because millions of people won't care, but for me it's waaaaayyyyy over the line and just as bad as Ubisoft.

The really scary thing is that I am considering piracy for the first time in my adult life. I cannot give them money and support this decision, but I know a singleplayer offline version of the game will be on torrents eventually if not on day one. It will take a lot of moral struggling to decide what to do about that.
Rofl, do you realize how many times you just contradicted yourself. You basically said "Hey, I am questioning if I should steal this"(in your adult life, I assume you pirated everything as a kid then), after you just said Blizzard has removed the desire for you to buy the game. That's a real fucking moral dillema right? A

So basically your post can be summed up like this "Because of the DRM I am considering pirating this"

You are the reason why DRM like this exists. If you don't agree with always online connection..fine, but telling yourself whether torrenting this or not is a moral dillema just adds fuel to the DRM fire. Nice going jackass.

115. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:14 Krovven

heroin wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:07:
You know D3 and GW2 are not similar game experiences.

Nobody has compared it to GW2, because its not out yet and we dont know the format of the game.

114. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:11 StingingVelvet

Gotta love how the reaction to Ubisoft doing this is "OMG TRAVESTY" and the reaction to Blizzard doing it is much more mixed. "Well, I have internet all the time anyway…"

For one thing I do not have internet all the time, nor do I know anyone who does. It goes down from time to time and just recently I went 4 days without internet due to a wiring issue in the neighborhood. Not to mention moving or whatever else.

I don't play mutliplayer games, that's the end all be all really. By making Diablo 3 a multiplayer only experience Blizzard have removed any desire for me to buy the game. I'm sure this decision will pan out for them because millions of people won't care, but for me it's waaaaayyyyy over the line and just as bad as Ubisoft.

The really scary thing is that I am considering piracy for the first time in my adult life. I cannot give them money and support this decision, but I know a singleplayer offline version of the game will be on torrents eventually if not on day one. It will take a lot of moral struggling to decide what to do about that.

113. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:09 HorrorScope

KilrathiAce wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:05:
Its not an mmo,

I guess it is one now.

112. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:07 heroin

This is definitely a shit move. But, honestly if you are a PC gamer and you don't play Blizzard games, you're f%^king missing out. They release PERFECTIONS unlike any other company out there.

With that said I'm not saying that you know, if you should happen to download the single-player SKID ROW version, that you shouldn't. Looks like I'll be having two copies of the game on my computer

And stop retaliating with the GW2 to D3 gibberish... GW2 looks pretty dope for a MMO. You know D3 and GW2 are not similar game experiences.

391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo