Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

There's a burst of new Diablo III information available today, as Blizzard brought some folks in to get a look at how their upcoming action/RPG is shaping up. IGN has a preview of the beta, as well as word that the game will require a persistent internet connection. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate," explains Blizzard's Rob Pardo. "Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing. You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated."

There's a post on DiabloFans.com with a big rundown on their experiences along with a FAQ, photos, video, screenshots, and interviews with the developers, taking extra effort to let you avoid major spoilers. There are many revelations, perhaps the most significant of which being the ability to buy and sell in-game items in the auction house for real money. Here's a bit from the FAQ on how this will work:

Don’t Need It? Put It Up For Auction!
Nearly everything found in the game, including gold, can be exchanged with other players directly or through the auction house system. So say you’re a witch doctor and you’ve just found an incredibly rare, incredibly powerful axe that only barbarians can use. In the previous Diablo games your best option might have been to sell the axe to an in-game vendor, but in Diablo III, you now have the ability to list that axe in the auction house for your fellow barbarian players to bid on. And you know another player will probably appreciate the true value of that axe more than some heartless vendor who’ll likely just melt it down for scrap….

Amazing Search Functionality
The auction house’s "smart search" functionality can automatically sort items in the auction house based on which upgrades would be most beneficial to your character. Also, searching for the best gear for multiple characters on the same Battle.net account can be done all from the same interface without having to log out.

The Choice Is Yours
Use of either the real-money or gold-based auction house is completely optional -- that decision can be made on a per-item basis, and both versions of the auction house are functionally the same. In addition, players have the option to simply sell the items they obtain to in-game vendors for gold. They can also trade items to other players through a direct character-to-character trading system in the game in exchange for gold, other items, or just an overwhelming sense of goodwill.

Players Only
Blizzard does not plan to post items for sale in the auction house. The driving purpose of the auction house is to provide players with a fun additional in-game option for what they do with the items they obtain in the game. Items sold in the auction house will be posted by players and purchased by players.

Safe and Sanctified
The real-money auction house provides players with an easy-to-use, Blizzard-sanctioned way to collect money for items they obtain while playing Diablo III. It also helps protect players from the scams and theft often associated with questionable third-party sites by providing a secure, completely in-game method for purchasing and obtaining the items they want for their characters.

View
391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

191. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:47 Cutter

briktal wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:34Why not go protest the caps? [/quote:

Most of us do, but lobbies - particulalry powerful ones - that represent the big cable and telcos generally get what they want. We already get it in the ass on what we pay already relative to what it costs these guys to implement and run all that shite, not even accounting for the fact that they're virtual monopolies. It's like the oil companies, why do these assholes keep getting subsidies in the billions when they have more money than Midas?

Regardless of any of that stuff though, the fact remains is that companies like Blizzard don't have to do this, they simply want to, and should not be rewarded for it. Sure we all want to play the game, but goddamn, doesn't anyone have any dignity and self-respect anymore?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

190. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:47 peteham

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:33:
This is real money. It's to get it off the shady sites and to give Blizzard a piece of the cut. If anything, it's going to devalue items because it won't just be the pro's businesses running the market, it will be everyone, making it if anything, less appealing to the pro businesses.
It's also going to significantly increase the number of people who use real cash to buy items/gold, though. When there's a sanctioned and safe way to do it, rather than having to go through some shady site, more people are going to use that option. One can only hope they've got some fairly robust counter-measures for duping this time.

On that note, I wonder if the AH will be available to players during ladder races? Though to my knowledge, there's been no information as yet on how the ladder is going to work this time around, of if there's even going to be one.

Doesn't really bother me much either way though. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I'll just opt out of items-for-cash completely since I'm only going to play with friends anyway.

189. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:46 ASeven

killer_roach wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:43:
ASeven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:38:
briktal wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:34:

Why not go protest the caps?

Unfortunately net neutrality is a hot topic and the lawmakers are making it possible for this to happen, not to mention it's not a simple topic.

No kidding, seeing as the caps have little to do with Net Neutrality at all, apart from the fact that IPTV providers are exempting their own video services from the caps.

I'm of the opinion the muddy waters of NN were an important factor in more and stricter caps to come to light. I think if clearer legislation was around we might not see caps as strict.

188. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:44 Krovven

Bhruic wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:32:
Such as? Go ahead, list all the positives that forced connectivity offers to people who only want to do single player.

Cheating. If you don't know how it worked in D2, then scroll back through the messages and read. I will take a more secure multiplayer game environment if it means losing an offline singleplayer mode.

187. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:43 briktal

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:42:
Probably because in most places there are no options in which to 'protest' the caps, and internet access is pretty much a requirement for modern life these days. I can tell you from Canada, your options for protest are switching from one capped service, to a shittier capped service. Unless you're lucky to live in an area where you can be serviced by another ISP who has a TPIA(third party internet access) agreement. Because it's so cost prohibitive by the CRTC for ISP's to lay their own headends, and/or DSLAMS's due to regulations.

Get a hundred people to stand outside their corporate headquarters with big signs for a month.

186. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:43 Dev

Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:27:
I could care less if it requires a permanent internet connection just to access your character. Really, when do you people NOT have an internet connection? And before you bitch, maybe you need to find a guide on how to tether the internet from your phone.
Tell you what, you pay the $30 a month for the smart phone data plan (which is limited to 5gb only, yeah I'm sure I'd NEVER hit that doing stuff online with a laptop, such as playing D3) and the extra $20 a month for tethering for me, and I'd get that setup right away.

Yeah also I'm sure that kinda thing would NEVER EVER have any dropouts while traveling cause its 100% reliable.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2011, 16:55.

185. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:43 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:38:

Unfortunately net neutrality is a hot topic and the lawmakers are making it possible for this to happen, not to mention it's not a simple topic.

No kidding, seeing as the caps have little to do with Net Neutrality at all, apart from the fact that IPTV providers are exempting their own video services from the caps.

184. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:42 Mashiki Amiketo

Probably because in most places there are no options in which to 'protest' the caps, and internet access is pretty much a requirement for modern life these days. I can tell you from Canada, your options for protest are switching from one capped service, to a shittier capped service. Unless you're lucky to live in an area where you can be serviced by another ISP who has a TPIA(third party internet access) agreement. Because it's so cost prohibitive by the CRTC for ISP's to lay their own headends, and/or DSLAMS's due to regulations.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

183. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:41 Objectively biased

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:26:
The irony is how some people bitched up and down that Torchlight was single-player and the entire point of games like this are multiplayer. Enter D3 an people are bitching that single-player can't be played offline. The irony is laughable.

There is no irony. The problem is that the people who want to be able to play the game whenever they want, a game they would pay good money for, can't do that because of DRM. The reason DRM like this remains an option for companies is because if enough people accept it, companies will get their money anyway. If enough people say "don't screw us with your DRM, we won't buy", the companies will have to stop using the DRM or suffer loss in sales.

What is laughable, though, is the battle.net-only multiplayer. Why not use the Diablo II system? Open (hack all you want) or Battle.net (you have to use their servers). I can guess why: Activision/Blizzard want money from the Auction House, money they wouldn't get if people could hack their characters.

182. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:38 ASeven

181. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:38 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:31:
Yes, but many of you are missing the point that these caps are just the tip of the iceberg. It's just starting, so they're easing in with large caps so people get used to the idea. Then they start to start to shrink them. They're going to do everything and anything they can get away with to make certain they can bleed you for as much as they can get away with it. Hell they do it alredy. A GIGABYTE of data costs them less than a nickel. You're already paying several 1000% markup and it's only going to get worse.

I agree, but you'll never get people to accept having the economics of internet access being internalized in a more accurate manner (which would mean likely several hundred, if not several thousand, dollars to get a connection set up at a residence for the first time and then a relatively minimal monthly fee thereafter). Given the chance, though, I'd jump at the opportunity to do something like that if I owned my own place.

180. removed Aug 1, 2011, 16:37 Krovven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 1, 2011, 16:38.

179. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:36 Fibrocyte

Longswd wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:36:
Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:28:
Longswd wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:27:
Fuck 'em. I was already on the fence about no LAN play, but this alone makes it a no buy. There is so many things wrong with this I'm not going to waste my time listing out all the counter points, I'll just register my dissatisfaction and vote with my wallet instead.

No you won't. You'll buy it, guaranteed.

Also, is LAN play really required nowadays? Internet connections are plenty fast - especially for a game like this.

You could not be more wrong, Son. I would feel dirty buying this and I know better after long years of forums wars to try and argue principles with those who lack them. It's like trying to talk to someone who has their hands clapped over their ears saying "Na Na Na, I can't hear you".

Revel in your stupidity, fool.

Okay, but you'll still buy it and play it. Then who will be reveling in my stupidity? Yea, that's what I thought.

P.S. You'll buy Diablo3 and play it.

178. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:34 briktal

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:31:
killer_roach wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:17:
Yeah, whereas for me by switching to AT&T I saved money and got much faster downstream (and slightly slower upstream, sadly), but more importantly actual connection reliability. Then again, I'm in an area covered by U-Verse, so that probably makes a bit of a difference in terms of service versus bog-standard DSL.

Yes, but many of you are missing the point that these caps are just the tip of the iceberg. It's just starting, so they're easing in with large caps so people get used to the idea. Then they start to start to shrink them. They're going to do everything and anything they can get away with to make certain they can bleed you for as much as they can get away with it. Hell they do it alredy. A GIGABYTE of data costs them less than a nickel. You're already paying several 1000% markup and it's only going to get worse.

This is why we get irate when we see shit like this from Blizzard, Ubisoft, etc. because it's untirely unecessary. They're only doing it out of greed, not protecting themselves, but greed plain and simple.

Blizzard has been dying the death of 1000 cuts for sometime now since their acquisition by Activision and you can consider this the final death throe of a company that used to be cool. Just like Bioware died under EA. I was stoked like a motherfucker for Diablo 3, but now I'll most likely pass. At least untill there's a hack workaround or it hits the bargain bin in a few years and I'll give it a playthrough once just to see what's there.

177. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:33 Krovven

Dev wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:25:
I really doubt they are going to let anyone cash out to real money, its going to be for some form of in game currency.

Dev, "The real-money auction house provides players with an easy-to-use, Blizzard-sanctioned way to collect money for items they obtain while playing Diablo III."

This is real money. It's to get it off the shady sites and to give Blizzard a piece of the cut. If anything, it's going to devalue items because it won't just be the pro's businesses running the market, it will be everyone, making it if anything, less appealing to the pro businesses.

176. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:32 Bhruic

You mean the contribution I made

No, I mean the argument you presented about games having "evolved" in 15 years, as if that's somehow an excuse for forcing online connectivity in a single player game.

There have been several things already outlined as being positives for consumers. But it's clear many of you wish to ignore those in favor of your individual needs.

Such as? Go ahead, list all the positives that forced connectivity offers to people who only want to do single player.

The irony is how some people bitched up and down that Torchlight was single-player and the entire point of games like this are multiplayer.

Ah, yes, the "irony" that different people might bitch about different things.

(Oh, and describing what people did with Torchlight as "bitching" is, of course, complete hyperbole. People desired a multiplayer option, because, hey, why not? The point is to have the choice. Single player for those who prefer that, multiplayer for those who prefer that, and both for those who may do both. Only have single player, or only having multiplayer decrease the choices available as a player, which is often a bad thing. But don't let that stop you from pointing out the "irony")

175. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:32 Elessar

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:25:
Elessar wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:23:
Fuckin A... I'm amazed so many people are bitching about the persistent connection. Maybe I'm just crazy, but real money being used in the AH for gold/items is WAY more important of an issue here.

It's kind of a shame they hit the same day as a double-whammy. They're both important issues to understand and debate.
True, but I'd expect people to have hashed out the persistent connection issues after SC2 and Ubisoft games started requiring it. It's not really new or surprising. Not like the real cash bullcrap. Particularly for Blizzard.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

174. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:31 Dev

Beamer wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:19:
On Tumbler's point: out of curiosity, has anyone here installed a game more than 10 times?
Yeah, lots. Definitely games like CS, hl1, TFC TF2, etc. Different computers, reinstalling on upgrades, etc. I'm sure I did x-com too, as well as other classics, probably warcraft 2 back in the LAN days where you could have 1 disk for 3 or 4 installs. Now THERE was an innovative way to deal with piracy. Make sure at least a couple guys in each LAN party bought it legit, or else no one could play.

173. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:31 ASeven

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:14:
Uhhm, what? I quoted your whole sentence. You have stated several times already that you will consider pirating the game, even though you claim to have never done so before (in adult life). Would you like me to quote those to? Should you choose to do that, then all Im saying is you better buy the game first, otherwise you are part of the problem. But based on other threads lately, it's become clear that comprehension is not your strong suit.

Het there, you're the guy that got mad at me for calling your bullshit (I say what I think to people's faces, they don't like it? Tough for them, and you) but I cannot let this pass. So you accuse me of doing personal attacks and get all high and offended while you do the same in a more subtle, pseudointellectual way, calling someone an imbecile? So it's only fair if you're subtle?

Got a word for you to read in tehe dictionary while you look in the mirror:

Hypocrite.

Don't get in your fucking high horse when you actually do far worse than what you accuse, with the difference you do in a subtle way.

172. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:31 Cutter

killer_roach wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:17:
Yeah, whereas for me by switching to AT&T I saved money and got much faster downstream (and slightly slower upstream, sadly), but more importantly actual connection reliability. Then again, I'm in an area covered by U-Verse, so that probably makes a bit of a difference in terms of service versus bog-standard DSL.

This is why we get irate when we see shit like this from Blizzard, Ubisoft, etc. because it's untirely unecessary. They're only doing it out of greed, not protecting themselves, but greed plain and simple.

Blizzard has been dying the death of 1000 cuts for sometime now since their acquisition by Activision and you can consider this the final death throe of a company that used to be cool. Just like Bioware died under EA. I was stoked like a motherfucker for Diablo 3, but now I'll most likely pass. At least untill there's a hack workaround or it hits the bargain bin in a few years and I'll give it a playthrough once just to see what's there.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo