Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

There's a burst of new Diablo III information available today, as Blizzard brought some folks in to get a look at how their upcoming action/RPG is shaping up. IGN has a preview of the beta, as well as word that the game will require a persistent internet connection. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate," explains Blizzard's Rob Pardo. "Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing. You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated."

There's a post on DiabloFans.com with a big rundown on their experiences along with a FAQ, photos, video, screenshots, and interviews with the developers, taking extra effort to let you avoid major spoilers. There are many revelations, perhaps the most significant of which being the ability to buy and sell in-game items in the auction house for real money. Here's a bit from the FAQ on how this will work:

Don’t Need It? Put It Up For Auction!
Nearly everything found in the game, including gold, can be exchanged with other players directly or through the auction house system. So say you’re a witch doctor and you’ve just found an incredibly rare, incredibly powerful axe that only barbarians can use. In the previous Diablo games your best option might have been to sell the axe to an in-game vendor, but in Diablo III, you now have the ability to list that axe in the auction house for your fellow barbarian players to bid on. And you know another player will probably appreciate the true value of that axe more than some heartless vendor who’ll likely just melt it down for scrap….

Amazing Search Functionality
The auction house’s "smart search" functionality can automatically sort items in the auction house based on which upgrades would be most beneficial to your character. Also, searching for the best gear for multiple characters on the same Battle.net account can be done all from the same interface without having to log out.

The Choice Is Yours
Use of either the real-money or gold-based auction house is completely optional -- that decision can be made on a per-item basis, and both versions of the auction house are functionally the same. In addition, players have the option to simply sell the items they obtain to in-game vendors for gold. They can also trade items to other players through a direct character-to-character trading system in the game in exchange for gold, other items, or just an overwhelming sense of goodwill.

Players Only
Blizzard does not plan to post items for sale in the auction house. The driving purpose of the auction house is to provide players with a fun additional in-game option for what they do with the items they obtain in the game. Items sold in the auction house will be posted by players and purchased by players.

Safe and Sanctified
The real-money auction house provides players with an easy-to-use, Blizzard-sanctioned way to collect money for items they obtain while playing Diablo III. It also helps protect players from the scams and theft often associated with questionable third-party sites by providing a secure, completely in-game method for purchasing and obtaining the items they want for their characters.

View
391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

271. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:35 HorrorScope

So wouldn't a smart move be to place a lot of items on the cash-house and hope that someone buys your stuff and or clicks incorrectly to get the sale? How do disputes of mistakes reverse themselves. I am interested in how this goes down and perhaps it makes a new jobs market for us.

I'll put something out there for a grand in the hopes some rich kid buys it, in any way possible.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

270. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:27 Mr. Tact

Overon wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 19:48:
This thread makes me wonder: What are the top threads in Bluesnews history?
I believe the 9/11 thread is the winner -- but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

269. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:24 Nate

Diablo 3 is for me! These decisions by Blizzard all seem quite logical.

• I like the real money auction. Should be fun to sell stuff for a few bucks.

• I like playing with other people. So no offline play doesn't matter.

• Their effort to ensure no hacking or cheats is also appreciated.

•  

268. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:22 eRe4s3r

The auction house is b.net wide, not restricted to the game your are in nor if its closed or locked. You can't even disable "RM bought items" in games nor can you specifically lock an auction house to the "world" you are playing in (so that only yours and your friends stuff appears and no RM transactions can "leak in")

The rich kids will run around with the imba items making random games and the ladder on b.net a complete waste of time, what bliz is doing here will entirely destroy the closed b.net and ladder/ranking experience, on day 1 no less.

And PVP will be a joke.

267. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:19 Drayth

I've been trying for over a month to get Blizzard to decouple my account from my now dead authenticator app on my now dead droid phone.

Between getting into the SW:ToR beta and this, I don't care about it anymore.

This is still probably going to be a great game.. but I'm just not terribly into - "LOL DUDE.. JUT NOTISED U LOGD N. THEY NERFNG WHICH DOCTER NXT PATCH LOL"

Have fun.

266. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:18 Fion

Dev wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 20:06:
    I'm REALLY curious now to see how much WoW's subscriber base drops when a big chunk of farmers jump ship. I wouldn't be surprised if gold farmers are at least a good 5 or 10% of the WoW subscriber base.

Actually I'm willing to bet it's quite a bit more simply because more than 1/2 the games subscriber base is in China. We know this because when the game went down in china recently the subscriber numbers dropped to 5mil. Think of all those chinese people who are gold farming slaves and even others who do it because there's so much more money to be made there than working in a sweat shop. I'd bet it's more along the lines of 20%.

265. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:16 Icewind

Wonderful. So they force me to store my offline character on their servers? Their excuse doesn't make sense, because you could NOT play "realm" Diablo 2 characters offline, so I don't get why "non-realm" characters have to be forced online when played offline....

Unless they are so desperate to shoe-horn in DRM that they use this as an excuse.

Figures.

Torchlight 2 is my Diablo 3. Blizzard can suck it.

264. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:06  Blue 

Overon wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 19:48:

If you use the "search" function, when your results display, the list on the left of "Popular Threads" changes to the all-time most popular threads, rather than a list for the past week.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
    Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

263. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:06 Dev

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 18:50:
    You know, I was just thinking how all this monetization is going to turn this into the biggest spamfest ever. I mean, if people can profit now from swelling items and gold there will be assloads of people doing it. You won't be able to enter a forum, chat room, or MP game without being spammed up the ass. I'd suspect that the email spam is going to expand like a mushroom cloud too.

Holy fuck, Blizzard, you guys didn't just drop the ball here, you fucking destroyed it.
    Good point. You know... now that I think of it, blizzard is going to cannibalize a bunch of gold farming accounts from WoW over to d3, especially since there won't be a monthly charge and the selling for real cash is legit. This whole monetization move could backfire on blizzard if it ends up hurting the WoW side too much.

I'm REALLY curious now to see how much WoW's subscriber base drops when a big chunk of farmers jump ship. I wouldn't be surprised if gold farmers are at least a good 5 or 10% of the WoW subscriber base.

262. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:04 HorrorScope

Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 19:32:
    having internet access is a meager requirement nowadays

Ultimately I boil it down to that and that is why it's a non-factor to me. It's a meager requirement for me on this end. I get it that for some it won't be. I can't cry wolf over something that has a minuscule affect on me. Advanced sorries for those it does.

261. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:03 SirKnight

With the gameplay changes they've made to this plus this always on DRM crap, no way in hell am I paying $60.

I'll wait till it's like $30 or less. Preferably less. Now I have something to look forward to during a holiday sale of 2013 or so.

I still play Diablo 2 (single player!!!) to this day, so I'll just continue with that...and Torchlight.

260. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 19:48 Overon

259. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 19:43 Bhruic

Instead, having internet access is a meager requirement nowadays as most people (especially those who actually game) have internet access most of the time.

So yea - just a whole lot of unnecessary bitching here. People struggle to build their arguments but it's just senseless whining.

That's a nice assumption to make, but where's your evidence? I'd probably agree that the majority of people do, but how high that majority is in questionable.

More importantly, however, is why you feel the need to dismiss the people who fall into the minority as "unnecessary bitching"? I can't speak for anyone else in the thread, but I know that I definitely have significant portions of time which I spend gaming where I do not have either a useful or reliable internet connection. Now, I do have some games I can play during that time, and I have other games I know I can't play. The Diablo series has, to this point, been one I could play, and I'm fairly unhappy that it won't be any more. Well, I suppose it still will be, just not D3, as I won't buy it.

And I suspect that at least some of the people complaining have similar connection issues. Some don't, but are upset about another stringent form of DRM. Also a valid concern, as runaway DRM is becoming more and more of an issue.

What strikes me as odd is the number of people who aren't just apathetic about this, but feel the need to attack the people who have issues with this. Do you have some stake in Blizzard? Or are you just a proponent of constant-connection DRM in general?

258. Re: Persistent Connection Aug 1, 2011, 19:38 Talisorn

Techie714 © wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 11:21:
    I expect this post to get at Least 100 comments..lol.

258 and counting!

I've played my fair share of MMOs so the persistent connection thing does not bother me so much ... but the RMT auctions? What are they thinking?! That whole area just a minefield of legal issues, not least the tax implications!

Bloody Activision and it's endless money grabbing. I was even getting to the point where I was thinking of reopening my WoW account, but this announcement cured me of that!

257. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 19:32 Fibrocyte

Dev wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 18:30:
    Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:58:
    Dev wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:43:
    Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:27:
    I could care less if it requires a permanent internet connection just to access your character. Really, when do you people NOT have an internet connection? And before you bitch, maybe you need to find a guide on how to tether the internet from your phone.
    Tell you what, you pay the $30 a month for the smart phone data plan (which is limited to 5gb only, yeah I'm sure I'd NEVER hit that doing stuff online with a laptop, such as playing D3) and the extra $20 a month for tethering for me, and I'd get that setup right away.

Yeah also I'm sure that kinda thing would NEVER EVER have any dropouts while traveling cause its 100% reliable.

Hi, Dev,

It's unlike you to miss the point but I guess you did.

1) Most people have internet access most of the time.
    2) If not, you can tether through your smart phone as most people have that (note: most smart phones require data plans).
    3) I seriously doubt you'll hurt your monthly data consumption numbers if you just want to play a single player game and all blizzard needs to do is retrieve your char from the server and periodically update information.
    4) Cell phone tethering should be reliable 'enough' for point #3.
    No I got your point. Your point was that "you personally don't care, so surely your personal experience applies to everyone else and they shouldn't care either" and that people without internet should just go spend $50 a month to get tethering (that's $600 a year to play single player!).

You missed my point in that specific reply which was that not everyone has tethering (in fact I doubt most even have a smart phone as you claim. I know many that don't, simply because of the cost, and they don't need it either. Most have a cell phone, but cell phones aren't all smart phones).

As for reliability, how often have you gone traveling? I've driven frequently around in places such as california and there are many areas where you lose connection or it gets so crappy one has to hang up. Even near LA this can be the case, such as going up the grapevine and mountains on the interstate 5 to get from the central valley to LA.

Its true that all blizzard NEEDS to do for single player is retrieve character and do updates for a SP game, but I doubt thats what they are ACTUALLY going to do. Read what this very news story says. It says you have to be on bnet the whole time you are playing. They are keeping SP and MP same characters. If its anything like ubi stuff, even a momentary loss of connection will prevent you from playing the game. Heck that happens to me occasionally on my home connection with uverse, and it bugs the heck out of me with settlers 7. Pretty sure given the info they've given out that Blizzard is going to be constantly communicating with the game, making sure every item of loot from every kill is properly authenticated with proper odds of dropping. Oh also, the spyware thing that people mentioned that some have ridiculed, just look at WoW. They DO spy on what programs you are running when you run WoW to make sure you aren't trying to cheat, and they ban people based on that info. They will have to do the same on d3 to prevent cheating, which is after all supposedly the point of the persistent internet connection requirement.

And this is all going to be dealing with real cash money to buy/sell items. Blizzard will HAVE to be anal about this stuff and constantly watching what people do and having stuff continually transmitted (not just periodic updates), or else it will get the heck exploited out of it for REAL cash. Real cash always attracts a heck of a lot of that type of people, after all we wouldn't have spam or most of the adware/spyware such as fake antivirus, if there wasn't money in it from people falling for it. That fake antivirus stuff is EVERYWHERE, I'm constantly coming across stories of people I know getting it and falling for it by paying real money to try and fix it.

Anyway, pretty sure blizzard isn't going to let themselves go bankrupt from people exploiting real money out of the game.

Nope - that wasn't my point exactly. In so many words, I'm implying that SOME people can say "Well, I am away from internet access so much that Blizzard is really putting the screws to me with this requirement!". However, that is the ultra small minority and it probably doesn't apply to anyone who is actually bitching in this thread. Tethering just closes that gap a little more - that's the only reason I brought it up.

Instead, having internet access is a meager requirement nowadays as most people (especially those who actually game) have internet access most of the time.

So yea - just a whole lot of unnecessary bitching here. People struggle to build their arguments but it's just senseless whining.

256. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 19:26 Luke

So you're terrified of what "faceshit" can learn about you, but you run anti-virus?
    You know that tracks a ton, too, and unlike everything else you mentioned it's always running in the background, eating CPU cycles, checking what you do and looking at your files.

Man, that's kind of funny.

not terrified at all because i don't and never will use that or those programs were you are forces to say yes you may sent all my data info to 3rd party compagnies ,and yes they may use it to spam me with things they think i need , how in heaven can people be so brainless

255. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 19:23 Alamar

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 19:01:
    <Further self-righteous outrage>!

<Attempt at insulting people who disagree with my outrage by insinuating they are younger and therefore stupid with the words kid/son/boy>!

<Additional anecdotal evidence which I purport to represent all gamers, everywhere>!

Awesome...

If I were into those me me's, I would so plus 1 this or something...

-Alamar

254. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 19:15 space captain

cant wait to play the pirated version of this  
    Go forth, and kill!

253. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 19:03 Cutter

D_K_night wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 18:57:
    Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 18:50:
    You know, I was just thinking how all this monetization is going to turn this into the biggest spamfest ever. I mean, if people can profit now from swelling items and gold there will be assloads of people doing it. You won't be able to enter a forum, chat room, or MP game without being spammed up the ass. I'd suspect that the email spam is going to expand like a mushroom cloud too.

Holy fuck, Blizzard, you guys didn't just drop the ball here, you fucking destroyed it.

So fucking lock your game with a passcode. You know...just like how you did it in D2, remember?

And that'll stop the spam how, Einstein? Besides having a private game - which probably won't be allowed anymore either at this rate. Jesus so many of you just speak without thinking.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

252. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 19:01 Agent.X7

<Further self-righteous outrage>!

<Attempt at insulting people who disagree with my outrage by insinuating they are younger and therefore stupid with the words kid/son/boy>!

<Additional anecdotal evidence which I purport to represent all gamers, everywhere>!

Origin - JStarX7
    STEAM - Agent.X7
    PSN - JStar_X7
    Xbox Live - Agent X7

391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 7.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo