Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Novel Plans

EA announces plans for a Battlefield 3 novel, which will be written by former S.A.S. operative Andy McNab. Word is: "The book tells the back-story of RU Special Forces operator Dima, one of the hero soldiers featured in the Battlefield 3 single-player campaign narrative. Having first-hand experience of the drama and trauma of real war, McNab and co-author Grimsdale bring an authentic voice and heart-wrenching perspective to the story." There's an interview with Andy McNab about this on Eurogamer.net. The novel is scheduled for release on Oct. 25, 2011 to coincide with the availability of the military shooter sequel.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 2, 2011, 04:27 Kedyn

Surf wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 22:06:
OMFG are you guys dimwits.

I was totally wrong. The US Military, hoo yah! Is perfect, make no mistakes, never kill their own, never have killed civilians knowingly, never rape 14 year old girls or murdered her entire family after wards to keep it hush hush....

Oh and me love you long time to!

Keep believing we are #1 folks........ just keep that mentality.

SS

You make it sound like everyone in the US military does that sort of thing as a rite of passage or something.

I guarantee you that for every American soldier that knowingly committed a horrid deed like the ones you describe, there are tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) that have not.

Clearly, the knee-jerk stupidity swings in both directions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 23:30 mickelobe

I remember Andy McNab doing various bits of news commentary on stuff like Larry King live back in the months after 9/11.

He always appeared heavily concealed behind a shadowy silhouette and distorted voice to protect his "real identity" (Andy McNab isn't his real name either)

Not to sound too Arm-Chair-General here but from my understanding, these cash-in novelists who served in these cloak and dagger black ops units are generally looked down on by their former colleagues.

People like Eric L. Haney (Inside Delta Force) and probably better known for his co-producer role for that mediocre CBS TV show "The Unit" are shit-listed from actual veteran reunions...

But what the hell does he care, since he made a small fortune exposing the exploits and experiences that are part of his line of work.

Anyways, Iím sure it will be a pretty good read for anyone who likes these boots on the ground stories, whether it is fact or fiction.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2011, 06:52.

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 22:06 Surf

OMFG are you guys dimwits.

I was totally wrong. The US Military, hoo yah! Is perfect, make no mistakes, never kill their own, never have killed civilians knowingly, never rape 14 year old girls or murdered her entire family after wards to keep it hush hush....

Oh and me love you long time to!

Keep believing we are #1 folks........ just keep that mentality.

SS

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 21:04 Learning

Tillman was a Ranger NOT a Marine.  

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern weather or not they are genuine"-Abraham Lincoln

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 19:39 yuastnav

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 19:37:
venomhed wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:37:
Ooooh, wonderful! Give me a break. Unless I see stories that reveal more the accidental and intentional atrocities that are committed by American troops, I don't want to hear about it.

Anytime anyone criticizes American soldiers, or shows them as bad, it is downplayed, excused, or more often than not, completely omitted or you are called unpatriotic or a A-Hole. I am not implying that all American military are bad, not at all, but many ARE.

Joy killing soldiers, shooting animals for pleasure? Not realizing that many animals there are food and labor for the farmers.

Ex American Soldiers now mercenaries shooting passenger cars and people for fun?

Tillman Story - Completely gun ho jacked up moronic marines shooting everything in sight because it reminds them of Call of Duty and Battlefield games? Killing their own?

Apache's blasting away and killing Reuters reporters, downplayed yet again (Youtube the video)

Raping of young girls and in some cases outright murder? Look it up, happened in Baghdad, one of several incidents.

Stuff you won't see on Nightly News with Brian Williams or in any stupid Hurt Locker movie.

If you're gonna bring it in a novel and self label yourself as a Hero, you better friggin tell the truth about it. Of course they won't, because all other countries are animals, not the invading US Military!

It's a video game guys, period. The only problem is that the Americans are once again portrayed as the liberators.... guess what, THEY AREN'T!

venomhead you know he's SAS right? Pretty sure that's BRITISH military.

Australia has its own SAS, too.

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 19:37 The Half Elf

venomhed wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:37:
Ooooh, wonderful! Give me a break. Unless I see stories that reveal more the accidental and intentional atrocities that are committed by American troops, I don't want to hear about it.

Anytime anyone criticizes American soldiers, or shows them as bad, it is downplayed, excused, or more often than not, completely omitted or you are called unpatriotic or a A-Hole. I am not implying that all American military are bad, not at all, but many ARE.

Joy killing soldiers, shooting animals for pleasure? Not realizing that many animals there are food and labor for the farmers.

Ex American Soldiers now mercenaries shooting passenger cars and people for fun?

Tillman Story - Completely gun ho jacked up moronic marines shooting everything in sight because it reminds them of Call of Duty and Battlefield games? Killing their own?

Apache's blasting away and killing Reuters reporters, downplayed yet again (Youtube the video)

Raping of young girls and in some cases outright murder? Look it up, happened in Baghdad, one of several incidents.

Stuff you won't see on Nightly News with Brian Williams or in any stupid Hurt Locker movie.

If you're gonna bring it in a novel and self label yourself as a Hero, you better friggin tell the truth about it. Of course they won't, because all other countries are animals, not the invading US Military!

It's a video game guys, period. The only problem is that the Americans are once again portrayed as the liberators.... guess what, THEY AREN'T!

venomhead you know he's SAS right? Pretty sure that's BRITISH military.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

16. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 19:11 Teddy

DangerDog wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:52:
There needs to be at least one incidence of T-bagging dead enemy soldiers to be a credible book based on Battlefield 3.

Maybe they can cover the backstory on regenerating health too.

Now that you mention it, I wonder how many times in the book the main character is going to get shot then hide behind cover for 20 seconds until the wounds go away.

Any bets?

15. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 18:14 Dr. D. Schreber

I'm trying to understand here how the topic of this thread directly relates to accusations of war crimes committed by the U.S. Armed Forces...

I'm guessing that by "America" he means the entire western world plus Russia (or does Russia count since the Soviet Union imploded? I've never been clear on that.) It's still completely absurd.

Christ, if you read some of the accounts of the shit that happened in both Chechen conflicts you'd think the U.S. was fighting abroad by handing out Christmas presents and forcefully administering affection-filled hug

It's funny how it shocks people that bad things happen in armed conflict, and how skewed perception is on how bad things are versus how bad things could be. People think torture can't get worse than waterboarding and "war crimes" means David Motari chucking a puppy.

Don't be such an idiot "Dr.". You know damn well what we mean.

Of course I do, because I can read minds. Actually, no I don't, because your posts are about a topic completely unrelated to the news at hand and make generalizations of such an absurd level that it's impossible to glean any meaning from them beyond your political opinions. It's hilarious how you don't realize you're doing the exact same thing you accuse everyone else of doing, just in the opposite direction.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

14. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 18:04 mickelobe

"Don't be such an idiot "Dr.". You know damn well what we mean."

Mhhh I'm pretty sure the "Idiot" commentary is yours and yours alone here Mr. venomhed.

Might I suggest you go and bump e-chests with some of the fine veteran folk that mingle about the militaryphotos.net forums? (There's plenty of Battlefield fans among them as well) I'm sure they'd love to be told how they're all a bunch of psychotic murderers and if you ask nicely they might even tell you some firsthand accounts of gunning down unarmed civilians while laughing hysterically and perhaps even some sadistic murder/rape stories of women and children

13. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 17:48 mickelobe

"Yes! Down with America! The book is about a Russian soldier and written by a British one, so America sucks!"

^ This

I'm trying to understand here how the topic of this thread directly relates to accusations of war crimes committed by the U.S. Armed Forces...

Christ, if you read some of the accounts of the shit that happened in both Chechen conflicts you'd think the U.S. was fighting abroad by handing out Christmas presents and forcefully administering affection-filled hugs

12. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 17:31 venomhed

"one of the hero soldiers featured in the Battlefield 3 single-player campaign narrative. "

Don't be such an idiot "Dr.". You know damn well what we mean.

Oh but maybe they will portray the Russian as the hero when the American soldiers come and destroy his lands? Think not.

11. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 16:30 Dr. D. Schreber

Yes! Down with America! The book is about a Russian soldier and written by a British one, so America sucks!  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

10. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 16:24 venomhed

Don't EVEN bring up WW2. Different era, different war, plus Korea/Vietnam/Gulf and the current wars trump nearly all the work we accomplished, for the betterment of the world, in WW2.

You bringing up WW2 is the same as you bragging and acting as if the accomplishments of your grandparents were actually yours.

9. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 16:17 yuastnav

Wildone wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:43:
where were people like you in WW2? Oh yea..cheering on the 'Amerikuns' lol

Not really.

8. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 15:46 Unexploded

"The only problem is that the Americans are once again portrayed as the liberators.... guess what, THEY AREN'T!"

We totally are, if you're oil.

7. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 15:43 Wildone

where were people like you in WW2? Oh yea..cheering on the 'Amerikuns' lol  

6. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 14:25 venomhed

Agreed. Any hard talk, direct criticism of America or their soldiers, or their wars, is met with extremely harsh and utterly ignorant Mid West statements such as "You aren't a Patriot! Get out of here!"

That type of collective, knee jerk, sheep mentality, go with the flow joe, BS is what has gotten us into this mess. People hate any real criticism, and often call you negative or cynical if you dish it out and back it up.

Oh well, last time I checked the world wasn't all happy happy joy joy.

5. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 13:57 TurdFergasun

@venomhead

holy crap you've criticized the military industrial complex! you hate AMURIKA!

seriously tho, perhaps when the americans wake up and realize they embody the exact ignorant tyranny they like to claim they rebelled against so many years ago, perhaps some change may occur. in all reality tho, by the time enough people wake up from the mass consumption sleep aide they've been dosed with and realize they are the controlling dictatorial empire of the world, a new and much more powerful empire will already be in place, so no change will happen. enjoy toiling for scrap in the garbage mines of california for your chinese debt collectors future amurikans. your jingoistic ignorance has more than helped pave the way.

4. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 13:56 Sphinx

DangerDog wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:52:
There needs to be at least one incidence of T-bagging dead enemy soldiers to be a credible book based on Battlefield 3.

There's regenerating health in BF3?!? Booooo ...

-Sphinx

3. Re: Battlefield 3 Novel Plans Aug 1, 2011, 13:52 DangerDog

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo