Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, now that it's August, I guess I'll have to admit defeat in my efforts at convincing MrsBlue we should acquire a portable air conditioner. At this point if I bring it up, I'm sure she'll simply counter with the logic that we made it this far without one, and it will be cooler soon. On the other hand, it's never too early to start the push for next summer.

August Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Kingdom Rush.
Crush the Castle 2 - Players Pack.
Links: Rebooting the Terminator Franchise.
Top 15 Geeky Calculator Designs.
An Impressive Home Made Iron Man Costume.
Stories: Sci-fi prophet wraps high-tech trilogy. Thanks scorcese.fan.
Marvel crushes Kirby copyright claim, but heirs vow to fight on. Thanks TDW Geeks.
Science: 'Super antibody' fights off flu.
Trojan asteroid seen in Earth's orbit by Wise telescope.
Images: Ai Hates Da Mail!. That's why our mail slot is taped over.
Media: 3 Tumblers Driving down street in Pittsburgh during filming of Dark Knight Rises.
Epic Derby Baby!
Kids React To Rebecca Black - My Moment.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2011, 19:15 Ant

Blue, buy an AC during winter times when prices are cheaper?

Maybe we need to make a petition for Blue's wife from us. We want Blue to stay blue and not red!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2011, 10:58 Creston

kanniballl wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 08:26:
WarPig wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 23:00:
Man, at least get a little window unit for the bedroom so you can sleep easier. I would think that would be a decent compromise.

Isn't that anti-productive though?

All of the wall units I've seen/experienced are quite loud, even on low settings. So they might be good for cooling down the room before naptime but once you go to sleep you'd need to turn it off.

Then again it could be that there are quiet ones out there I've simply not seen. Since I've lived with Central Air for over 20 years my experience with wall units is limited to my brother's and a couple of friends' that I've seen.

It's constant noise, so you can easily sleep through it. It just becomes part of the background eventually.

Creston

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2011, 10:57 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 22:03:
/God bless the man who invented air conditioning.

If there's 7 wonders of the world, I've always said I'd nominate modern plumbing as #8 (yea for not having to go out back and shit in a hole), and AC as a very close #9.

Seconded.

Creston

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2011, 09:11 xXBatmanXx

kanniballl wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 08:26:
Man, at least get a little window unit for the bedroom so you can sleep easier. I would think that would be a decent compromise.

All of the wall units I've seen/experienced are quite loud, even on low settings. So they might be good for cooling down the room before naptime but once you go to sleep you'd need to turn it off.

Then again it could be that there are quiet ones out there I've simply not seen. Since I've lived with Central Air for over 20 years my experience with wall units is limited to my brother's and a couple of friends' that I've seen.

For those of us that live in the big city - the white noise is a nice welcome to replace the horns, dogs, people, vehicles, trains, planes, etc etc etc.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2011, 08:26 kanniballl

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2011, 04:04 InBlack

AC is for eunuchs and panzies. I fully support Mrs. Blue in this anti-AC venture. Its bad for your health and even worse for the environment. If you cant stand a little heat in the summer move to Alaska...  

I have a nifty blue line!

25. Re: Reboot???? Aug 2, 2011, 03:27 mag

banddirector wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 00:52:
I predict an unseasonably cool summer 2012.

Too late - - that's what the entire Pacific NW had *this* year!

Pff. Who cares about the Pacific NW? You're not real people.

24. Re: Reboot???? Aug 2, 2011, 00:52 banddirector

Too late - - that's what the entire Pacific NW had *this* year!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2011, 23:00 WarPig

GO SEAHAWKS!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2011, 22:03 nin

If there's 7 wonders of the world, I've always said I'd nominate modern plumbing as #8 (yea for not having to go out back and shit in a hole), and AC as a very close #9.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Reboot???? Aug 1, 2011, 21:30 mag

Enahs wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 21:21:
Blue wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:44:
nin wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:17:
Tell her you were thinking of getting rid of the heater this winter. Turn about and everything.

You say that like that wouldn't be playing into her hands. All this about the AC having been said, I handle the heat better than she does, she's just more fanatical. She actually deals with the cold much better than I do, certainly in part because of all the years she lived in Minnesota.

This is a bluff she would call in a minute.

So then this winter when they are on sale buy one. What woman can resist a sale?

You obviously should have been smarter and done this last winter; but at least you will be ready next summer!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2011, 21:23 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 18:14:
Tell her it'll be even hotter next year, Blue.

/115-120s heat index in the next week.
/FUCK!

Creston

Was in one of our High School's today for 'active shooter training' - was in that bitch for 10 hours straight and they shut off the ac for the summer months. wtf. I was so happy to get home to the ac.

Active shooter + running through the school + tons of gear + stale hot humid air + slippery floors from the humidity = not a fun day. Just glad no one got hurt or sick from the heat.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: Reboot???? Aug 1, 2011, 21:21 Enahs

Tell her you were thinking of getting rid of the heater this winter. Turn about and everything.

You say that like that wouldn't be playing into her hands. All this about the AC having been said, I handle the heat better than she does, she's just more fanatical. She actually deals with the cold much better than I do, certainly in part because of all the years she lived in Minnesota.

So then this winter when they are on sale buy one. What woman can resist a sale?

You obviously should have been smarter and done this last winter; but at least you will be ready next summer!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2011, 18:15 Mcboinkens

Also cool to note in the Tumblers video that the news vans in the background at the end are Gotham City newsvans.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2011, 18:14 Creston

Tell her it'll be even hotter next year, Blue.

/115-120s heat index in the next week.
/FUCK!

Creston

16. Re: Reboot???? Aug 1, 2011, 17:11 Asmo

I'm kinda over the whole rebooting everything. Original ideas or good stories based on tried and true ideas (eg. I'm really enjoying Walking Dead atm, which is a pretty standard zombie romp but is done well enough to distinguish itself).

As for the AC Blue, seriously mate, argue the quality of life angle. People get more stressed when they operate out of their comfort zone, and sleep tends to be more strained/less restful if you are overheating.

Although if the US is anything like Aus, midwinter is the best time to buy a new AC unit because they slash the prices on left over stock.

15. Re: Reboot???? Aug 1, 2011, 16:56 kanniballl

Steelcamp wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:24:
Why reboot anything, can they not think of anything new?

On one hand I agree; come up with something new.

On the other hand, if you want to make another film with similar themes/props/etc then it's going to fail because the millions of fans of the original will say "it's just trying to the X, and nothing can be X."

Take a film that they want involving time travelling cyborgs, or perhaps a Rise of the Machines type of story. Neither of those were pioneered by the Terminator franchise but the franchise is forever linked to that.

So you make a Rise of the Machines film, perhaps even a decent one, but fans of the old Terminator Series say "Epic Fail, it's trying to be Terminator but it's not."

In which case, why fight the tide... you might as well make it a film set in the Terminator universe.

-------------------------------

And if you want to start using that Universe for new movies, and the last couple tanked, then you might want to reconsider rebooting it.

Look at the last couple of Batman films before the reboot, and the T:3 and T:4.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Reboot???? Aug 1, 2011, 16:52 nin

She actually deals with the cold much better than I do, certainly in part because of all the years she lived in Minnesota.

That's because you weigh like 75 pounds!

13. Re: Reboot???? Aug 1, 2011, 16:44  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

12. Re: Reboot???? Aug 1, 2011, 16:17 nin

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo