Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest

As noted on Kotaku, DOTA-inspired strategy game Heroes of Newerth is now officially free-to-play. Here's a little on how this works: "The new basic account is a free account new players receive when they sign up. Once a player has surpassed a certain threshold of play time, or purchase Goblin Coins, their account is upgraded to a Verified account. Players who were already paid users will have Legacy accounts. Legacy accounts receive a lifetime of free access to all HoN heroes and are able to play in Verified Only games, to ensure that experts and beginners are separated. Legacy accounts can no longer be purchased." despite the efforts to strike this balance between free and premium play, the - Heroes of Newerth "Non-constructive Complaints" Forum shows a good deal of player unhappiness at this development. Thanks Yair.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Aug 1, 2011, 02:31 Jack9

What a misleading title. People are upset about the OTHER changes. Early Release heroes. The confusing system for cosmetic content. Nobody cares about the F2P or the way F2P has been implemented.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 31, 2011, 12:05 Mordecai Walfish

Just as others here have stated, the player base for HON does completely ruin it for most new (and existing..) players.

If you've ever played League of Legends you're sure to know that there are many of the same elitist dicks that seem to get no better pleasure in this world than incessantly telling everyone in their game what they're doing wrong in the most nonconstructive and ego-concentric manner that they can.

HoN is a snake pit of these selfish little kids. At least in League you can find a group of respectful and relatively mature players without expecting the worst 99% of the time.

12. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 31, 2011, 07:13 Ozmodan

Well I still play the game occasionally. To the challenged one below trying to make it out as pay to win, you lose. Your research method sucks.

I do agree though, the player base has a lot of elitists jerks in it, why I rarely play it anymore.

11. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 31, 2011, 01:16 Teddy

I don't doubt there are plenty of normal people who play as well, and plenty of extra-nice people who do as well. The problem is simply that the assholes are so painfully vocal that it's difficult to find a single match without one constantly spamming derisive comments, or even a forum post on their site without one. Hell, they had to create a special section on their forums to funnel those posts into.

That says something in and of itself.

10. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 31, 2011, 00:49 Stormsinger

Yep, there's no doubt they have the absolutely worst community I've ever run across for any online (or offline) game. I'm pretty sure you'd find a more enjoyable crowd to hang with in Leavenworth.

I'll even go you one better, Teddy. I wouldn't play it if they were offering to pay me, precisely because of the assholes that make up the majority of the player base.

9. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 31, 2011, 00:18 Teddy

atomicfro wrote on Jul 30, 2011, 23:05:
Just tried playing, and they are definitely elitist cocks.

Yes, yes they are and sadly that's one of the reasons this game doesn't have a larger audience. I know the hideous attitude of the players is the primary reason I won't drop a dime on the game. Hell, I won't even play it for free if I have to deal with those people on a regular basis.

8. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 30, 2011, 23:51 Frijoles

I have a legacy account, bought it before the game released. Think I played for like a day or two and never returned. I should sell it.  

7. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 30, 2011, 23:05 atomicfro

Just tried playing, and they are definitely elitist cocks.  

6. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 30, 2011, 22:12 raVen

IF the characters are balanced it's not and wont be pay to win.
I think that's the root of the problem here.
I do disagree, and we're not friends.

5. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 30, 2011, 22:08 kunic

raVen wrote on Jul 30, 2011, 21:59:
kunic wrote on Jul 30, 2011, 21:41:
Btw, I don't play HoN, I just actually do some research before speaking.

Why don't you ACTUALLY do some research?
It's not pay to win, dumbass:

Three words: Early Access Program. That, my friend, is pay to win. If you disagree then you are either a blatant fanboy or just really stupid.

4. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 30, 2011, 21:59 raVen

kunic wrote on Jul 30, 2011, 21:41:
Btw, I don't play HoN, I just actually do some research before speaking.

Why don't you ACTUALLY do some research?
It's not pay to win, dumbass:

3. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 30, 2011, 21:42 MrGrosser

I don't play HoN and from what I've seen from their community this isn't any loss. Stick with League of Legends if you want a fun DoTA style game.  

2. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 30, 2011, 21:41 kunic

You miss the point entirely Creston, the new system is a pay-to-win system. Before the game was pretty competitive, this kills any competitiveness it had and is just an attempt to milk the game before DoTA 2 comes out and crushes it for good. Btw, I don't play HoN, I just actually do some research before speaking.  

1. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 30, 2011, 19:43 Creston

So they complain about getting... more people to play their game? Oh, wait, I get it, now they don't have their little Elite Cocks club anymore.

Creston

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo