Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The severe storms around here last night caused a blackout which lasted a couple of hours. After our last power outage it took about an hour of restarting my PC to get it to boot properly, and this time around it was about twice as bad. The machine actually came back the first time, as the UPS shut it down properly, but the keyboard and mouse were not powered up, and it took a couple of hours of rebooting after that. This seems to be hardware related, and I think I should take this as an omen that it's time to buy or build a new machine before this one goes completely tango uniform.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Happy Clicks.
Links: LeisureDive.com. Thanks Neatorama.
Wrongulator. Thanks Boing Boing.
Holy Smokes Batman! The Bat-Signal Shines Over Pittsburgh.
Media: Music Vest Commercial 1985. Thanks Devicer.
Godzilla: History, Biology and Behavior.
Will It Blend? Magnets.
The Funnies: Dilbert and Dilbert.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Ahh the Wrongulator Jul 31, 2011, 12:47 kanniballl

zincthallinide wrote on Jul 31, 2011, 05:09:
That does sound annoying.

But I think it's 2+(3x4) = 14.. and (2+3)x4 = 20

Still, the basic premise of the story applies

Dur yeh, sorry had a few beers yesterday. Hence letting little things from my past bug me.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2011, 10:12 crypto

I've seen you comment on power issues a number of times, I hope your using a double-conversion UPS  

9. Re: Ahh the Wrongulator Jul 31, 2011, 05:09 zincthallinide

That does sound annoying.

But I think it's 2+(3x4) = 14.. and (2+3)x4 = 20

Still, the basic premise of the story applies

8. Ahh the Wrongulator Jul 30, 2011, 22:15 kanniballl

Ahh, the Wrongulator.

I recall back when I used to work minimum wage at a drug store.

We constantly had old bitties, and even professionally-dressed women coming back to return their "broken" calculator.

Their problem was they bought an Algebra calculator that handled order of operations for more advanced math. IE 2+3x4 == 24 instead of 20. They were expecting to get a regular cheap calculator even though this was more expensive than the cheap ones in the aisle.

They kept calling me a liar and that we were selling defective merchandise. They want to talk to the BBB, I obviously didn't understand Mathematics, etc. I tried to explain it to them but I was obviously "a stupid kid that wasn't going anywhere." Actually the women in their 40's were the b*tchier of the types complaining.

Yeh, a stupid kid that got a full ride to the Honors College at a University, was a CS major and a Statistics minor, and was just working to pay for the dorm / textbooks / dating / etc. I obviously didn't understand math

Ahh, the good old days, when I had stand in place for 6+ hours and listen to that BS all day. It's amazing I didn't go postal.

-

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2011, 22:25.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2011, 21:43 Hoop

I'm thinking Blue has the inside info on the pc requirements of Rage.

I joke

Turns out all that rocket research by The Carmack was to discover a new power source by which to run their games.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2011, 22:31.

Um .. Behind you...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2011, 20:41 xXBatmanXx

Well, going out of my comfort zone tonight. The wife and I are headed to a replay theatre (3.00 per adult) to catch Super 8. Wish me luck....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2011, 20:21 Neutronbeam

Blue, don't forget to check out the latest Tech Report system builder's guide--it's here http://techreport.com/articles.x/21164  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2011, 19:49 PHJF

"Tits up" means you're on your back, which means you've been knocked over, which is... bad.

I'm pretty sure we had this discussion here around three months ago.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2011, 19:44 jdreyer

Hey Blue,

Maybe you can discuss in your Out of the Blue which your considering: buy or build, and why? Also what hardware would you consider?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2011, 19:25 Cutter

So much like the Black Crowes you're saying it's twice as hard as it was the first time.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2011, 17:50 Dirwulf

How did "tits up" become something bad?

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo