Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Ubisoft DRM

There's a follow-up to our question about whether From Dust will use Ubisoft's DRM that requires a constant internet connection on VG247, where a Ubi rep has told them: "From Dust will not require a permanent online connection to play in single-player mode." In contrast, there's also a post on PC Gamer where a Ubisoft representative deemed the always on DRM a "success," saying they've seen "a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success."

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 30, 2011, 01:44 shponglefan

ASeven wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 10:29:
Find the total revenue per quarter, it's often right at the start of the doc. Then apply the market share of the pc to the total revenue and you have the total pc sales revenue per quarter.

Ah, I thought you were maybe looking at some other numbers, preferably something normalized.

At any rate, I don't think one can draw too many conclusions about the effect or lack thereof of their DRM on sales with just those figures. Looking at the various platform breakdowns over the years, they tend to jump around a lot.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 15:31 Suddenly_Dead

Slashman wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 09:03:
Really? Stronger?

To me, it's pointless to pretend you're giving something while acting like the people you're giving it to are second class citizens you can't trust and so you're throwing them scraps(some of them, really bad scraps as well).

I'd have to say Square Enix with Just Cause 2 alone made me feel like it was more of a PC exclusive than any of Ubi's games in recent memory.

I mean...are you trying to say Ubisoft are championing the PC cause?

Just Cause 2, really? It's a terrific game, but it works as well on the consoles as the PC. And it is on the consoles, it's not an exclusive. Anno 1404, Trackmania, IL-2, Settlers; those are PC exclusives through and through.

edit:

Just too bad about Ubi's DRM. I only bought Anno 1404 later, after the DRM was stripped from it. Unfortunately, it might be the same with Trackmania 2, and that really irks me.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2011, 15:38.

42. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 12:16 Jerykk

No, what I'm trying to say is that Ubisoft releases more PC-exclusives than EA, 2K, THQ, Activision, etc. Whether or not you care about those exclusives or think they are enough to compensate for delayed ports and awful DRM is up to you.

41. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 11:39 Prez

Optional nickname wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 10:18:
Hi Ubi, I applaud you for your anti piracy measures, people that freak out over "always on" have certain screws loose, as society today is "always on" everywhere else.

Yeah - we shouldn't freak out about the DRM - just pirate it and play the DRM-free version like I do. Also, if you would, remember to keep daring the warez scene to crack all the games that use this stupid DRM by claiming its "uncrackable"; that way I'll get my DRM-free versions sooner. Thanks.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 10:33 ASeven

Optional nickname wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 10:18:
Hi Ubi, I applaud you for your anti piracy measures, people that freak out over "always on" have certain screws loose, as society today is "always on" everywhere else.

I remember UBI since Twin World for my Amiga 500. keep em coming, bien vous.

Terrible trolling attempt.

39. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 10:29 ASeven

shponglefan wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 09:22:
ASeven wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 05:58:
http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/index.php?p=194&art_id=

The URL to find the quarterly fiscal reports.

I'm trying to find specific reference to what you referred to, about PC revenues being down?

Find the total revenue per quarter, it's often right at the start of the doc. Then apply the market share of the pc to the total revenue and you have the total pc sales revenue per quarter.

38. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 10:18 Optional nickname

I remember UBI since Twin World for my Amiga 500. keep em coming, bien vous.

37. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 09:22 shponglefan

ASeven wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 05:58:

I'm trying to find specific reference to what you referred to, about PC revenues being down?

36. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 09:22 shponglefan

LordCrew wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 05:42:
Here's a link to their 2010-2011 results: http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/gallery_files/site/270/1042/2418.pdf

I couldn't find what ASeven was talking about, other than their % of sales by platform for PC having dropped in the last fiscal year (which by itself doesn't mean much). Unless that is what he's talking about?

35. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 09:05 Verno

They do pretty decent PC ports but unfortunately they are often very late to market compared to console versions.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

34. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 09:03 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 01:59:
PHJF wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 01:48:
My point being that Settlers and Trackmania aren't exactly AAA games. Anything from Ubisoft that's exclusive to the PC is going to have a comparatively tiny budget.

Again, doesn't necessarily affect the quality of the games we get... but it's still basically scraps. Hardly what I would call strong support of our platform.

I don't think anyone would argue that Ubisoft is a strong supporter of PC gaming. However, in terms of PC-exclusives, they are stronger than any other big publisher.

Really? Stronger?

To me, it's pointless to pretend you're giving something while acting like the people you're giving it to are second class citizens you can't trust and so you're throwing them scraps(some of them, really bad scraps as well).

I'd have to say Square Enix with Just Cause 2 alone made me feel like it was more of a PC exclusive than any of Ubi's games in recent memory.

33. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 08:40 necrosis

Verno wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 08:32:
I just haven't been super interested in most Ubisoft titles over past several years. Not really happy with what they did to Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon. Assassin's Creed is the one decent thing they've done in awhile. I'm simply buying less Ubisoft games because they're making JUST DANCE 2 PARTY BABIEZ instead of games I want to play. Hell the DRM is kind of inconsequential, its only affected two titles I want.
Kinda the same here. The DRM turned me off the latest Splinter Cell and the gameplay sealed the deal.
Rainbow Six has been dead since RVS to me. The pile of shit R6: Vegas and everything after completely destroyed the franchise.
Ghost Recon the same thing. Fond memories of playing the first game for hours with friends on both Mac & PC... on the same servers.

AC is the only thing from Ubi I really care about right now.

32. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 08:32 Verno

I just haven't been super interested in most Ubisoft titles over past several years. Not really happy with what they did to Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon. Assassin's Creed is the one decent thing they've done in awhile. I'm simply buying less Ubisoft games because they're making JUST DANCE 2 PARTY BABIEZ instead of games I want to play. Hell the DRM is kind of inconsequential, its only affected two titles I want.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

31. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 08:29 Omni

I don't really care about ubisoft. For the last few years the quality of their games have been utter crap and it will properly continue like that for ages to come.
The only game that I felt like was worth playing was splinter cell conviction from them.

30. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 05:58 ASeven

29. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 05:54 Ventura

a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success.

I'd call that coincidence more than anything else, because it's not like the pirates didn't figure out how to beat it.

To be honest, I think it's more because so few really give a shit. What's the best one with this persistent DRM, Assassin's Creed 2? Did anyone half keen on that one really bother waiting four months after the console versions came out for the pc version?

The rest of their games have been pretty much garbage. Frankly, I have better things to use my monthly quota on.

28. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 05:49 Golwar

PHJF wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 00:57:
The Settlers, Anno, HOMM, Silent Hunter, Trackmania, Cliffs of Dover are all PC exclusive. You have to be smoking some good shit to say that they have 'abandoned' the PC altogether.

Games developed, cheaply, by Europeans and Russians. Not that there are anything wrong with European or Russian developers.

That is idiotic, I'd like to see what is cheap about the Anno series. And I somehow doubt that a german developer is cheaper than others.

27. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 05:42 LordCrew

Here's a link to their 2010-2011 results: http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/gallery_files/site/270/1042/2418.pdf

shponglefan wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 22:20:
ASeven wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 20:49:
A quick look at their fiscal reports shows that since adopting the drm their pc market share and sales revenue has been constantly down. This should answer the the pressing question, did the drm bring them more sales. Answer, a definitive no.

Out of curiousity, where did you find this? I took a look and couldn't find anything.

26. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 04:49 Arithon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 23:19:
and from that point of view the requirement is a success

bwaaahahahahh Go check torrents you dolt.

Downloading a pirated copy was the only way to make my purchased copy function, due to the amount of time Ubisoft.com was down.

Support forum, main website and copy protection on single host domain for the TOTAL FAIL!

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

25. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 29, 2011, 04:28 KilrathiAce

UBI drm is not main reason why I stopped buying their games, biggest problem is they stop supporting good games allowing developers to patch them such as silent hunter 3, 4 etc.... they just cut it off even after they rushed the devs to release product in half asses state. Now they add drm to add insult to injury. Will have nothing to do with UBI ever again.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo