Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer

A new trailer from Deus Ex: Human Revolution notes the "four pillars" of gameplay in Eidos-Montreal's upcoming action/RPG prequel are combat, social, hacking, and stealth, and proceeds to offer insights into the stealth component of the game. In the clip, the developers explain the challenge of creating gameplay that will be equally fun whether the player chooses combat or stealth, talks of stealthy elements they feel will make for compelling gameplay, the organic natural feel of this mode, possible advantages to be gained by not running around with guns-a-blazing, the availability of stealth-oriented augmentations, and more. The clip includes several bits of gameplay footage showing Jensen being all silent but deadly. The clip is embedded below.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Aug 1, 2011, 23:04 Wowbagger_TIP

nin wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 14:11:
For what its worth...
Wouldn't trust PC Gamer farther than I could throw their office. I based my decision to buy on the leaked beta. Well, that and the $30 price from GMG.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 14:11 nin

For what its worth...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 12:02 Acleacius

Squirmer wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 06:29:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 05:37:
Iirc, they said we would be able to complete the game without killing anyone or has that changed?

There are some major characters that you have to fight and kill (their strange excuse for this is that they can't make it dramatic enough without killing bosses or something), but it should be possible sneak past all the regular guards etc. There are XP points given for 'ghosting', though they seem to define ghosting as being non-lethal rather than totally unseen.
That's too bad, since it changes the very foundation of the game play. Not sure how beating someone unconscious then having them trialed and imprisoned for crimes isn't dramatic. Wonder if this is to satisfy the console crowd?

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

24. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 11:54 venomhed

"Well then don't buy it!"

Why is everyone disagreeing with this statement? He is right, the game is what it is, I thought the demo was fantastic, and totally seems like a proper DX2. I do enjoy it for what it is, and saw no show stoppers.

Anyways, if you don't like it, F off.

23. removed Jul 29, 2011, 11:52 Zanthar

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 29, 2011, 13:39.

22. removed Jul 29, 2011, 10:04 space captain

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 29, 2011, 13:40.

Go forth, and kill!

21. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 09:50 Overon

Jerykk wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 21:09:
Stealth was a bit too easy in the leaked press build. Enemies always appeared on your radar as long as they were within range. You didn't need line of sight or sound. Enemies also had very narrow vision cones and no vertical detection of sound.
Stealth was too easy in the press build. I went the pure stealth non lethal route and I quickly realized the detection limitations of the AI that you mentioned. I doubt they fixed this but I think the plot implications and world is intriguing.

20. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 09:28 wtf_man

I don't particularly like the perspective changes either.

As for the Original Deus Ex doing that... if I recall it was only during the conversations... not melee take downs, nor cover, nor climbing ladders.

That said... the perspective changes in this game look to be about the same as The Chronicles of Riddick, which was "tolerable", IMO. I still don't like it... but I can live with it.

Other than that... the game looks fantastic!

/shrug

19. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 06:31 wrlwnd

Zanthar wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 21:56:
Either play it or don't... It's impossible to make every anal bastard in the world happy. Play the game for what it is, just like you watch a movie, or read a book for what it is. The ONLY say you get is if you buy it not.

Whiney little shits.

Zanthar is the whiniest little girl in this thread.

18. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 06:29 Squirmer

Acleacius wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 05:37:
Iirc, they said we would be able to complete the game without killing anyone or has that changed?

There are some major characters that you have to fight and kill (their strange excuse for this is that they can't make it dramatic enough without killing bosses or something), but it should be possible sneak past all the regular guards etc. There are XP points given for 'ghosting', though they seem to define ghosting as being non-lethal rather than totally unseen.

17. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 05:37 Acleacius

MajorD wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 22:25:
Dude, ease up! I was just stating my opinion and why I was waffling, so no need to take it so personally. It's just a game FOCKER!
Ignore him, he has issues with legitimate criticism.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

16. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 00:52 Mashiki Amiketo

Jerykk wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 21:39:
While I'm not a fan of perspective changes, I think it's a bit excessive to ignore the game solely on that basis. You should at least try the leaked build.
Yeah I gotta agree. I saw it in the vids and thought, ah hell this is going to to suck. Played the leaked build? Holy shit, okay. So we don't really have lean left/right anymore. But this makes up for it. That leak was enough to get me to preorder it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

15. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 00:45 Jerykk

I am curious in particular how the melee take-downs mechanic will be received at large.

I can see them getting annoying after a while. There are only a few different take-down animations and if you play through the game stealthily, you're going to see these same animations over and over again.

One thing that's pretty annoying is that the gameworld (including characters) basically freezes during these takedowns. Not sure why the designers chose to do that since it makes stealth even easier. I'm guessing they did it to compensate for the fact that the animations are pretty lengthy.

14. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 00:34 Parias

Tony!!! wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 21:48:
Parias, the gripe was the yellow outline you see on doors and ladder and other 'interactive' objects. They made this an option now in the menu of the game.

Ahhh, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks.

Jerykk wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 22:36:
Third person perspective only comes on when you hit the 'cover' button.

That's not entirely accurate. The game also switches to third-person when you climb ladders, perform melee take-downs and engage in dialogue. To be fair, the original DX did the latter as well.

Good catch, I had forgotten about those. I am curious in particular how the melee take-downs mechanic will be received at large.

13. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 00:14 Sho

I'm so happy how public opinion has turned around on this game. I remember last year when that Sarif Industries live action trailer got released, and everybody was deriding it and I got flamed for the position that this kind of universe-introducing / mood-setting stuff is fun ... fast forward and everybody is suddenly loving the Purity First trailer (which makes good use of the footage from that earlier one). Heh.

That beta leak is the best thing they could've done, it seems.

12. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 22:37 nin

So what you're saying is you're so going to play the shit out of this title, huh?

I sure hope so. I was skeptical for so long, but every video I've seen looks like they did it right. I can't believe it, but I hope they did.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 22:36 Jerykk

Third person perspective only comes on when you hit the 'cover' button.

That's not entirely accurate. The game also switches to third-person when you climb ladders, perform melee take-downs and engage in dialogue. To be fair, the original DX did the latter as well.

On a side note, apparently the PC version will let you adjust the FOV from the in-game options menu. That's pretty rare these days and bodes well for the final quality of the PC port.

10. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 22:25 MajorD

Zanthar wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 21:56:
Either play it or don't... It's impossible to make every anal bastard in the world happy. Play the game for what it is, just like you watch a movie, or read a book for what it is. The ONLY say you get is if you buy it not.

Whiney little shits.

Dude, ease up! I was just stating my opinion and why I was waffling, so no need to take it so personally. It's just a game FOCKER!

9. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 22:23 Cutter

nin wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 20:40:
I am so looking forward to stealthing through this game like a mofo!

This looks SO fun!

So what you're saying is you're so going to play the shit out of this title, huh?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 21:56 Zanthar

Whiney little shits.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo