Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameStop to Sell Game Downloads

GameStop announces they are launching a new service to allow customers to make in-store purchases of digitally distributed games, which will begin with the upcoming release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Eidos' action/RPG prequel. On the surface, there is obviously something odd about how this sounds, but they point out this give customers the ability to use forms of payment not usually applicable to digital distribution, including cash, GameStop trade-in credits, and gift cards. They say they've been successful selling DLC through their stores, and see this as an extension of that. They also offer some additional motivation to pre-purchase the digital Windows edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution through them by offering the following bonuses:

• A digital version of Deus Ex(TM): Game of the Year Edition and Deus Ex: Invisible War(TM)
  • The Explosive Mission DLC Pack for in-game use in Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Double points for GameStop(R) PowerUp Rewards(TM) members
  • As an added bonus, PowerUp Rewards(TM) members who pre-order and purchase Deus Ex: Human Revolution will be entered to win a decked out living room in the Augment Your Living Room Sweepstakes. Visit www.poweruprewards.com/PUR/Index/Augment for complete details on the Augment Your Living Room Sweepstakes.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: GameStop to Sell Game Downloads Jul 29, 2011, 14:15 DG

If they were a little bit clever they'd have sorted this so they could sell the game on preorder. As in, let you go home with the box and everything. Game still isn't going to work until activated online so why not?

Still leaves the inventory issue but does fix the issues of people who like shiny boxes and/or have low bandwidth/caps.

I still think it'd be handy if steam could spit out a clever little file that could be uploaded to a webpage which then returns an update file to be saved on your USB stick.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: GameStop to Sell Game Downloads Jul 29, 2011, 12:47 Giller

God they are desperately hanging on to the brick and mortar business model, aren't they? What the hell are they gonna do when the consoles switch to digital delivery in a generation or two?

Aside from the under 16 crowd and the 8 adults who have to buy their games in cash for whatever reason, why in hell would i want to get in my car, go to gamestop, sit through their mandatory litany of up sell speeches and pay for a digital download? If they really wanted to be innovative they would just tie your gamestop account to your impulse account and allow you to use your built up instore credit and gift cards through Impulse. But that would be too easy on the customer and not shoe-horn them into a doomed brick and mortar model.

10. Re: GameStop to Sell Game Downloads Jul 28, 2011, 21:10 Dev

Does this have anything to do with Impulse? It looks like it doesn't, just a way to pay in store for digital merchandise.  

9. Re: GameStop to Sell Game Downloads Jul 28, 2011, 19:23 nin

I'm not a fan of being locked-out of content, especially in a game such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution where story is paramount, because I pre-ordered elsewhere.

I can't imagine it not being on steam, eventually.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: GameStop to Sell Game Downloads Jul 28, 2011, 19:21 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 17:55:
People still go to Gamestop for PC games? Really?

Do they give you a free kick in the balls now if you dare ask about, say, Civ 5?

Creston

I used to... then again, I live in a college town, and the people working at the local GameStop had a least a passing familiarity for PC gaming. Then I moved across town, the nearest GameStop was a fair bit harder to get to, so I just started relying on Amazon and Steam for most everything.

7. Re: GameStop to Sell Game Downloads Jul 28, 2011, 19:15 Riker

I'm not a fan of being locked-out of content, especially in a game such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution where story is paramount, because I pre-ordered elsewhere. Here's hoping someone will post it for download. So I can download it illegally. And feel good about it.  

6. Re: GameStop to Sell Game Downloads Jul 28, 2011, 18:52 elefunk

It's weird they're doing this with a Steamworks game after Gamestop just acquired Impulse.

Though I guess in a way it makes sense - Impulse is too immature still to score games like this making it the primary digital platform, so this is another way they can profit off digital sales for the game even if it's tied to a competing platform.

5. Re: GameStop Launches In-Store Downloads Jul 28, 2011, 18:48 Rattlehead

This is actually pretty cool idea. See EA, this is how you win over customers in the digital market. Reward them, not restrict.

I always hate it when I have only cash and want to buy a game that's only available via digital distribution.

4. Re: GameStop to Sell Game Downloads Jul 28, 2011, 18:35 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 17:55:

Do they give you a free kick in the balls now if you dare ask about, say, Civ 5?

Creston

No, people weren't going to GameStop for PC games. Hence why they bought Impulse and are now offering digital purchases in-store.

3. Re: GameStop to Sell Game Downloads Jul 28, 2011, 18:34 A51Abductee

I'm kind of interested in the extra mission that's exclusively through the GameStop pre-order, which apparently features a cameo by Tracer Tong. Maybe it will get released as DLC later though.  

2. Re: GameStop to Sell Game Downloads Jul 28, 2011, 17:55 Creston

Creston

1. Re: GameStop Launches In-Store Downloads Jul 28, 2011, 17:51 Satoru

I guess it kinda makes sense with Deus Ex. Since it's a Steamworks game the install disc itself is worthless anyways. You're just buying a box so you can type in the code into Steam.

Oddly no store offers an actual pre-order discount....

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo