Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Trailer

The Bethesda Blog now points to the fifth installment in their behind-the-scenes series for RAGE, id's upcoming first-person shooter (though the clip embedded there is the previous clip). The new trailer uses gameplay footage and developer commentary to introduce the various enemies players will encounter in the game's post-apocalyptic environment.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 00:10 Creston

Krovven wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 20:55:
Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 17:28:
I've been wanting to replay Doom 3, but last time I did that I didn't get much past beyond the first level before it started annoying me.

Goto GameFAQs and print out the locker codes for Doom 3, saves a lot of time from backtracking and reading PDA's etc. So you can just focus on shooting hellspawn.

I still have all those, actually. They're in my Doom 3 box. Wrote them all down myself.

I'll check out some of the mods. Thanks for the tips.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 22:54 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 22:40:
Doom 3 was fairly underwhelming. Aside from the excessive lack of lighting, the enemy encounters grew terribly formulaic. You enter a room, a demon spawns behind you, you kill him, then another demon spawns behind you again. Rinse and repeat for the whole game.

I think I've posted this once a year since '05, but why not again?
Walk into room.
Switch to gun.
Kill zombie.
Switch to flashlight.
Pick up armor in center of room.
Switch to gun.
Kill zombie that came out of broom closet that magically opened when you picked up armor.
Switch to flashlight.
Find ammo hidden in corner.
Switch to gun.
Kill imp that warped in when you picked up armor.
Switch to flashlight.
Walk into next room.
Repeat.

I made it about 2.5 hours into the game before I gave up. Yeah, I know, someone will tell me that wasn't enough time and I should have blah blah whatever, but the game was boring as hell. Had promise, too. I think I've also mentioned that it was the last PC game I bought day of release for full price (which was $60!) I don't think I've bought a full price PC game since.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 22:40 Jerykk

Doom 3 was fairly underwhelming. Aside from the excessive lack of lighting, the enemy encounters grew terribly formulaic. You enter a room, a demon spawns behind you, you kill him, then another demon spawns behind you again. Rinse and repeat for the whole game.

Dead Space handled enemy spawning in a much less predictable way. Enemies would always appear out of grates, shafts, etc, but the level designers put grates and shafts everywhere, even in areas without any enemy encounters. You never knew when an enemy would pop out, so you were always extra cautious around them.

18. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 22:11 Dmitri_M

Looking good.

Far as Doom 3 talk, after the release of Dead Space, I could never touch Doom 3 again.

17. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 21:11 Krovven

Actually just got to watch the video. I'm surprised anyone can think it looks bad. All the game design elements seem to be a major improvement over Doom 3.

They talked about animations and the AI. No canned combat animations that make them invulnerable, like some games. AI reacts to momentum when being hit.

For me, all the videos they have shown look pretty great. Could be a different story with hands on, but I'm not expecting that to be the case.

16. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 20:55 Krovven

I've been wanting to replay Doom 3, but last time I did that I didn't get much past beyond the first level before it started annoying me.

Goto GameFAQs and print out the locker codes for Doom 3, saves a lot of time from backtracking and reading PDA's etc. So you can just focus on shooting hellspawn.

There are plenty of mods out there, any major mod site will have them. Flashlight mods are iffy, as the whole flashlight implementation by id was strange.

If I recall correctly, you have to use custom pak files (like quake modding) to run multiple mods, which is why I had put some mods together in a custom setup. Using the in-game mod menu I believe you can only choose 1 at a time and that is a folder based mod system.

It's been awhile, I'm foggy on the details.

I had a look at my files, and I had an enhanced gore mod installed too, along with the others I had mentioned.

15. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 19:48 DrEvil

Yeah, Res. of Evil was quite awesome, actually. I really liked it.

I've been wanting to replay Doom 3, but last time I did that I didn't get much past beyond the first level before it started annoying me. I was wondering if there were some ready-to-go mods that fixed some of the more stupid design decisions.

Creston

I could never get past the "Zombie Closets" aspect of Doom 3. I actually enjoyed Doom Resurrection on the iPhone more (blasphemy, I know).

14. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 17:59 xXBatmanXx

hahahahaha.....jump IS important!

They are really sinking a lot of time into this - I wonder if they are shooting more for an online marketing stance than a million dollar tv campaign.

I have been on the fence, but kidding myself all this time - I will get it straight away.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

13. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 17:28 Creston

Yeah, Res. of Evil was quite awesome, actually. I really liked it.

I've been wanting to replay Doom 3, but last time I did that I didn't get much past beyond the first level before it started annoying me. I was wondering if there were some ready-to-go mods that fixed some of the more stupid design decisions.

Creston

12. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 17:11 JayDeath

Looks awesome! I will play 60 bucks for this one.

Steam: BenRichards

Shadow of Mordor is wonderful.

11. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 16:57 MajorD

@Krovven - I should also mention that Resurrection of Evil was a pretty good expansion.

I totally agree. As a matter of fact, IMHO (For whatever that is worth), I thought the XP was better than the original game. The orginal DOOM3 was good fun for the most part, but seemed to become disjointed towards the end - like they had to quickly throw some more levels on it, possibly because the game play was too short.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2011, 17:31.

10. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 15:17 Krovven

Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 13:44:
Out of curiosity, what mods did you use with Doom 3?

Hrrm, I had taken several mods and modified them to my own liking. I know I had a shotgun mod for better accuracy, flashlight mod, and enabled more dynamic lighting (on the environment) when firing weapons like the BFG and Plasma gun. I was using some custom sounds to beef up the weapons as well.

Other than that, I don't think I was using anything too crazy, but its been several years since I last played it.

I should also mention that Resurrection of Evil was a pretty good expansion.

Other than the sometimes annoying "monster closets", I didn't like how the dynamic shadows were done, the plastic look of the characters and of course id failed bigtime with Doom 3 multiplayer...other than those things the game was pretty decent.

Did I mention you could jump in Doom 3?

9. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 14:20 Darks

Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 13:44:
Krovven wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 12:38:
Yep, sometimes all it takes is some solid combat gameplay to be fun. Borderlands lacked in many areas, but the gunplay was good.

Rage looks great. Despite all the hate on Doom 3, I still enjoyed it immensely and have played it through 2.5 times (1.5 times with mods).

Creston

Creston, I made a mod for Doom 3 Coop. it was pretty hard. I made all of the creatures a lot tougher. An Imp for instance with a shotgun would take three to four hits to take them down. Made a bunch of other changes too. I never released it to the masses. it was more of a personal mod for me and the friends at LAN sessions. But you can have it if you like.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

8. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 14:17 Darks

Day One buy for me, Post apocalyptic, mutants, lots of guns and enemies and Coop on top of that! Oh yea!!!  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

7. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 13:44 Creston

Yep, sometimes all it takes is some solid combat gameplay to be fun. Borderlands lacked in many areas, but the gunplay was good.

Rage looks great. Despite all the hate on Doom 3, I still enjoyed it immensely and have played it through 2.5 times (1.5 times with mods).

Creston

6. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 13:42 Acleacius

Oh look, id learned how to make a game where you don't kill everything on the screen, how quaint. It only 20 years, were all so proud.

Roflmao@ how important personality is to id.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 13:40 Yosemite Sam

Ditto on Doom3, I've played it more times then I can remember... A lot with the COOP mod. With the exception of the face GFX that game still looks sweet.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

4. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 12:38 Krovven

3. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 11:16 Verno

I don't know what makes you say that, there appears to be a decent enough variety in weapons and ammo customization. If people can play Borderlands for 30 hours then I think this game has a chance Snore  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

2. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 11:14 Cutter

The environment looks amazing I agree. It's just the gameplay that looks repetitive and boring. It'll get stale fast.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo