Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's been a while since I've shared a "Blue is a magnet for bad drivers" story, but just because I don't shuttle MrsBlue to the train every day anymore, this does not mean such incidents have completely stopped. Yesterday a truck merged in front of me on a local road because a bus was stopped in the right lane. A second later the truck behind him attempted to follow suit, in spite of being to my immediate right. I honked and he hit the brakes and sheepishly waved as I passed to acknowledge he was at fault. The funny thing is that 15 minutes later as I was stopped at a light on the way back from my errand a couple of pedestrians called to me saying they saw what had happened and congratulated me for avoiding being crushed. This reminded me that a couple of weeks ago I was stopped for a traffic tie-up on the highway and looked up to see a car approaching in the rear-view at an incredible rate of speed, which was now so close I could see that the driver was not looking at the road, and had still not seen the traffic. She then looked up, slammed on the brakes, and even began swerving to find the other lane because she clearly didn't think she was going to stop in time. Thankfully, her car managed to stop just in time, and as I watched in horrified fascination, the driver picked her cell phone out of her lap, and before hanging up said something, presumably along the lines of: "maybe I should get off the phone because I almost just killed somebody." Whew!

Driven Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Ninja Dogs 2. Thanks Daniel.
Toxie Radd 3D.
The Osiris Conflict.
Stories: Blind Dog Rescue Alliance gives vision-impaired dogs a second chance.
Science: South Korean scientists create glowing dog: report. Thanks [H]ard-OCP.
Media: Multiplayer Gaming.
Mortal Kombat Sitcom.
Forehead Tittaes w/ Marion Cotillard. NSFW. Thanks nin.
Puppy fakes her own death while playing. Oscar worthy.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2011, 00:18 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 23:11:
Well if Parma sets low speed limits that's Parma's problem. States don't come in and set regional speed limits. I've done a lot of driving in Cleveland, Akron/Canton, Dayton, and around Columbus and never had problems. I was driving for 10 years at 10-15 over the limit on highways/freeways and never got pulled over... until NC.

Oh I didn't think we were talking about cops, just bad drivers. The speed thing was an aside that ended up being longer (rambling). I'm not really sure about Ohio cops, don't get tickets there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 23:49 Dev

About 2 years ago I was coming out of the theater to a 4 way stop sign in the middle of the mall (theater and shopping mall on one side of the road, target, bestbuy, and other mall on the other side of the road). I'm the only guy stopped at the 4 way stop sign, and the only person approaching the intersection isn't going that fast, so I go ahead and do a right turn. The person approaching instead of slowing, blows through the stop sign, and screeches the brake and almost hits me. We end up next to each other at the stop light ahead and its a woman who rolls down the window and starts calling names and yelling. I calmly inform her that SHE ran through a stop sign, and she calls me a liar. I tell her to go back and check if she wants. I've been through that 4 way many times, and from all sides, its definitely a 4 way, and none of the signs were knocked down. She just wasn't paying attention to the road.

PHJF wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 11:41:
Custom in NC when turning onto the road from the left is to turn into the turn lane and cruise forward until you find an opening.
I think its even mentioned you can do that in the california driver's guide (not the cruise forward part, but the turn into the turn lane part), so its not just a custom in some states.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2011, 23:55.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 23:11 PHJF

Well if Parma sets low speed limits that's Parma's problem. States don't come in and set regional speed limits. I've done a lot of driving in Cleveland, Akron/Canton, Dayton, and around Columbus and never had problems. I was driving for 10 years at 10-15 over the limit on highways/freeways and never got pulled over... until NC.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 21:51 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 11:41:
In Ohio, what with all the freeways everywhere, I never ran into many bad drivers

Michiganders would crack up laughing hearing you say that.

My parents and all of my extended family are from Ohio but parents have lived in Michigan for 20+ years now. They're in Ohio at least monthly and and they don't have pleasant things to say about the drivers there. Though I'm sure the story is the same between any neighboring states, I just give them more credit given their history.

My personal experience is that Ohioans are very slow drivers but that's trained through the laws. Of course their highways are 65 instead of 70. Four lanes roads with a turning lane in commercial zones in Michigan (metro Detroit) are nearly always 45-50. In Ohio (metro Cleveland) the same configuration is 25-40. Grandparents live in Parma, OH and many of the main roads are marked at 20, I didn't even know they made that sign.

Yeah, slower = safer, but when they cross over into Michigan and they keep those habits it's dangerous for traffic to have slow vehicles changing lanes, merging, etc.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 19:27 Mr. Tact

My worst/best traffic story:

1988: I am driving along a "frontage road", a road which follows the Interstate between two exits. People drive on this road too fast all the time, and at that age, me included. Anyway, it's made worse because it goes from 4 lanes to 2 lanes back to 4 lanes, so it bottle necks at some point in both directions.

So, I am driving along, get through the bottle neck and let my attention drift -- truthfully I don't know if I was looking at the radio or day dreaming or what. When my attention returns there is a car stopped in front of me, waiting to turn left. I slam on my brakes and manage to stop about a yard short. Look into my rear view mirror and see the 17 year old behind me is making a similar mistake but isn't going to find out in time.

I brace for impact and sure enough, she hits me going probably about 30 mph. Fortunately, the guy in front of me is smart enough to have looked up, realized what was going on and had moved forward. So, when I get pushed forward despite still standing on the brake, I don't hit him. No one was injuried, and frankly I was partly amused by the whole event. Car was totaled, but it was just a Chevette I had bought for $500 and I had already gotten 40k miles out of it. Never had time to be scared. Just a bit juiced from the adrenaline.

The 17 year old was driving her parents car. I'm sure they didn't share my amusement.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 17:13 Sir Graves

Blue, I sometimes wonder why you even dare to go out of the house. Seems like every time you go to do something, whether it be driving or just walking the dogs, you have some kind of brush with stupidity and /or death! LOL.

I don't get it. I do stuff like that all the time (and been doing said stuff for years) and it pretty much usually goes very normally, with nothing much to report. I go, do my thing and come back. Done. It generally just works.

Just be careful out there, man, cuz like you keep saying, you do somehow tend to attract this kind of weird stuff consistently for whatever reason.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 16:11 Hoop

Steam just pulled down a huge ass download so I'm thinking wtf?
Then remembered a friend gifted me the Black Ops Annihilation map pack, had a quick perv at a map & it looks like a campers wet dream, rats nests everywhere. *shakes fist @ Tarf*

By the by people check out these delicious portal 2 maps, both very contrasting environments.

http://myaperturelabs.com/file.php?id=713

http://myaperturelabs.com/file.php?id=639

Um .. Behind you...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 14:27 nin

A guy blew a red light yesterday and almost T-Boned me. I just happened to notice that a car was speeding towards the intersection WAY too fast and assumed he wasn't going to jam on the brakes.

Had one of those a few weeks ago at lunch. I was in the passenger seat and happened to be looking that way and warned the driver...

The guy did stop, but I think if he hadn't seen our car moving into the intersection, he wouldn't have stopped. It was like he didn't see the red light at all...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 14:24 kanniballl

A guy blew a red light yesterday and almost T-Boned me. I just happened to notice that a car was speeding towards the intersection WAY too fast and assumed he wasn't going to jam on the brakes. A feat since there was a house on that corner blocking most of the view, had I not been as observant I my new car would me C-shaped.

And it's not like he was trying to run the yellow, it was already red long enough for 2 cars to go in front of me.

He waved as he flew by too, not a "my fault" wave but an idiotic smile "nice to meet you" wave. He didn't even pause or slow down, just continued on at least 40MpH. WTF

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 13:50 The Pyro

Scariest moment of my life was when the driver of a large pickup (towing a trailer full of pointy yard tools no less) realized that he was about to miss his exit and decided to cut across three lanes of traffic. I barely saw him coming in time. I swerved right and missed being hit by less than 6 inches.

To make matters worse I was in a middle lane, and had no time to check my mirrors when swerving. I just got lucky that nobody was there.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 13:48 Jonny

We've got windy country roads around here, and a while back I saw a guy in a fully loaded 8 wheeler try to overtake on a bend, only to encounter a Range Rover going in the opposite direction. He hit the brakes and turned the wheel so his lorry slid sideways along the road filling both lanes before coming to a halt just before hitting the Range Rover. Who's driver must have had balls of sodding steel to not immediately swear off driving at that point.

It's hard to credit the sheer level of retardation you see on the roads sometimes.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 12:48 DNForever

Driving north through NC a couple years ago, I literally thought I was gonna die the entire time. It must be some combination of road design and a ton of really bad drivers in the same place.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 11:41 PHJF

Hey somebody almost merged into me yesterday (after turning out in front of oncoming traffic).

Here on the coast in NC there is no freeway, so any time I need to go somewhere I get to use wonderful fucking Route 17, a four-lane with a continuous turn lane in the middle. Custom in NC when turning onto the road from the left is to turn into the turn lane and cruise forward until you find an opening. The dip shit yesterday figured my car was that opening.

In Ohio, what with all the freeways everywhere, I never ran into many bad drivers, but NC is fucking littered with them.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 11:21 Cutter

Same thing happened to me the other day, some dude came mere millimeters away from ramming into me. And it's not like I was in a blind spot, I right freakin beside him. He just didn't even bother to look over and went. It never ceases to boggle the mind when this shit happens.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 10:57 nin

South Korean scientists create glowing dog (and then eat it): report.

Fixed!!!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 10:51 nin

Thankfully, her car managed to stop just in time, and as I watched in horrified fascination, the driver picked her cell phone out of her lap, and before hanging up said something, presumably along the lines of: "maybe I should get off the phone because I almost just killed somebody." Whew!

And you seem like such a nice guy, you probably didn't even make some sort of "hang up and drive!" gesture...

But yeah, you do seem like a bit of a magnet. Is it always in the same vehicle? Do you think the color might have something to do with it, or just stupid people that don't pay attention (as seems the case in these two examples).

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo