Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

From Dust DRM Also Always On?

The Steam Listing for From Dust has details on the DRM in recently delayed PC edition of the upcoming god-game. This suggests that like Driver: San Francisco, this will use Ubisoft's DRM scheme that requires a persistent internet connection while the game is being played, saying: "Ubisoft Online Service" (thanks Bumpy via DSOGaming). We reached out to THQ to confirm the details on this, but have yet to receive a response (perhaps there's a glitch with their internet connection).

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

29. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 10:52 Prez

ASeven wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 10:04:
I hope you realize the last games using this drm weren't cracked at all, like hawk2. Crackers were unable to crack it. Waiting to read what excuse you'll use for giving ubisoft the ok so that they can keep escalating this drm. And considering gamers have no other form of protest other than not buying a game I realize many gamers are fucking spineless, too emotionally attached to a fuking game and blind to the fact some publishers are fucking them in the ass. But who cares as long as you can play the next shiny thing, right?

So because I don't prescribe to your specific set of ideals, I therefore must enjoy "getting fucked in the ass" by Ubisoft? Oh and on top of that, you extrapolated that I'm a drooling retard that wants shiny things and has no power to reason beyond that. Alrighty then... And you're still going to insist that you aren't too emotionally invested in this? Rolleyes

I played AC2 on a computer that had no internet connection for a while, trouble-free. I had a great time, and will cherish it as one of the best modern gaming experiences I've had in a long while. If this is getting ass-fucked, I guess I like it.

Hawx 2 WILL get cracked if it hasn't already; I don't really know because it was not high on my list. Which, incidentally is probably why it's crack took longer - it's kinda low on everyone's list. The uncrackable DRM does not exist. It may take weeks, months, or even a year in the case of SC Chaos Theory, but I can wait.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2011, 10:57.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 10:23 ASeven

Verno wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 10:07:
They got AC2, they'll get HAWX2 as well. It's being crowd sourced right now much like AC2 was, it just takes time to find all of the entries, AC2 had thousands. To be honest I doubt HAWX2 is much of a priority to anyone so that's probably part of it.

Don't get mad at Prez for not caring, gaming is a hobby. Some people get more invested than others. I don't give a shit about sports for example, I follow football very casually just to make conversation and I'm sure that's sacrilege to some people.

I don't get mad specifically at him, but the fact that gamers only option to protest this is not buying it it does piss me off that gamers so quickly disregard their own consumer rights just to play the latest game. Despite being an hobby, gamers are still consumers and in the end some lines are not to be crossed, both by consumers and by publishers. For me this drm is clearly a line not to be crossed. And remember, by buying this game, regardless if you crack it afterwards, you are telling ubisoft you don't mind the drm, and that encourages them to come with worse drms, after all gamers didn't mind this drm, they won't mind a slightly worse one.

It's up to us and us alone to make certain this drm dies and we can only do that by not buying the damned thing.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2011, 10:30.

27. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 10:21 Beamer

I'm a gamer; gamers game. They don't don't spend all day posturing with their faux nobility on web forums about insignificant matters like some here apparently enjoy doing.

I kind of feel like putting this in my signature and pointing it out in every third topic, but I'm certain I'd take it beyond where you meant it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 10:07 Verno

They got AC2, they'll get HAWX2 as well. It's being crowd sourced right now much like AC2 was, it just takes time to find all of the entries, AC2 had thousands. To be honest I doubt HAWX2 is much of a priority to anyone so that's probably part of it.

Don't get mad at Prez for not caring, gaming is a hobby. Some people get more invested than others. I don't give a shit about sports for example, I follow football very casually just to make conversation and I'm sure that's sacrilege to some people.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

25. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 10:04 ASeven

Prez wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 08:05:
Assassin's Creed 2 is a fantastic game. As a gamer who thoroughly enjoys his hobby, I'm not going to let Ubisoft's stupidity stop me from enjoying it; not while there is a hassle-free version ready for download.

If in your weird moralistic views that makes me part of the problem, all I can say is "tough shit". I'm a gamer; gamers game. They don't don't spend all day posturing with their faux nobility on web forums about insignificant matters like some here apparently enjoy doing.

I hope you realize the last games using this drm weren't cracked at all, like hawk2. Crackers were unable to crack it. Waiting to read what excuse you'll use for giving ubisoft the ok so that they can keep escalating this drm. And considering gamers have no other form of protest other than not buying a game I realize many gamers are fucking spineless, too emotionally attached to a fuking game and blind to the fact some publishers are fucking them in the ass. But who cares as long as you can play the next shiny thing, right?

24. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 10:03 Verno

No, they didn't use it on RUSE or Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.  

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

23. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 09:57 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 09:20:
I suppose this means we can expect this same drm on Heroes 6? Sad, I thought that would be worth $50. Add DRM like this and you're down to $20...maybe less.

I think I can live with this kind of BS for games at $20. But that is only for the most established franchises like Heroes and Civ, etc. Lesser known titles like Driver would be down near $10. And these are release day prices, once the game is a month old they better bet less than $10.

Yes. Remember, ubi announced they were committing to adding this DRM to all future titles from the date they announced this crazy DRM (I think one of the prince of persia games was the first? Or was it the submarine game or settlers 7?). So far I think they've kept that promise.

22. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 09:51 Shadowcat

Tumbler: That's incredibly generous to my mind! I wouldn't touch a game with this kind of DRM, let alone spend $20. Steam is only barely tolerable, and my standard spending limit for a game that requires Steam is $5, purely because the DRM is objectionable (I've gone over that amount in a few cases, but not too often). I've paid more for Valve's own games, but there's really no hope of them not using Steam. For everyone else, though, it's a clear choice on the part of the publisher or developer.

Personally, I'll happily spend more money on some little DRM-free indie arcade game than the average DRM-laden AAA title.

21. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 09:37 Shadowcat

Asmo: What do you mean by "If the system worked perfectly"? To me, that could only mean that the end user could never be inconvenienced by problems which were not under their control (i.e. the single player game would never refuse to start because a remote server was down), and this form of DRM simply isn't capable of providing that guarantee. In that respect, it is broken by design.  

20. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 09:20 Tumbler

I suppose this means we can expect this same drm on Heroes 6? Sad, I thought that would be worth $50. Add DRM like this and you're down to $20...maybe less.

I think I can live with this kind of BS for games at $20. But that is only for the most established franchises like Heroes and Civ, etc. Lesser known titles like Driver would be down near $10. And these are release day prices, once the game is a month old they better bet less than $10.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

19. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 08:05 Prez

Assassin's Creed 2 is a fantastic game. As a gamer who thoroughly enjoys his hobby, I'm not going to let Ubisoft's stupidity stop me from enjoying it; not while there is a hassle-free version ready for download.

If in your weird moralistic views that makes me part of the problem, all I can say is "tough shit". I'm a gamer; gamers game. They don't don't spend all day posturing with their faux nobility on web forums about insignificant matters like some here apparently enjoy doing.

18. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 07:32 Asmo

Wasn't interested in this game, but after Assassin's Creed II refused to save a game beyond the first race with your characters brother (a glitch apparently with the online saving DRM) which meant no matter how far I progressed, it would always revert back to that save, I'm not bothering with any Ubi title featuring this BS.

If the system worked perfectly I wouldn't be nearly so bothered, but the fact it doesn't seem to work properly, compounded by Ubi refusing to fix up the problems posted by people on their forums, means they lost me as a future customer for the games that would have caught my interest.

re: Gamers will just make up excuses, sure, some will. I won't. If that makes no difference to Ubi, I could care less, I'm just over paying up for a product only to find it doesn't even basically function enough to complete a game...

17. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 06:54 Kajetan

ASeven wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 06:01:
Fuck ubisoft and fuck anyone supporting this drm. The sooner ubisoft leaves the pc market the better.
Why should Ubisoft leave the pc market? They still make good money with pc games, because there are enough people out there, who use cracks or just endure the DRM, because they are emotional dependent on games.

16. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 06:01 ASeven

Fuck ubisoft and fuck anyone supporting this drm. The sooner ubisoft leaves the pc market the better.  

15. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 03:56 Arithon

If it has DRM, don't buy the game.

As someone burned by Ass Creed 2, I can tell you "always on" puts the emphasis on you, but in fact it's Ubisoft whose site is "always down" meaning you cannot play a single player game with no online element, even thought it has been registered and activated, because they can't put 50p in the meter (or whatever excuse they give).

I couldn't even raise a support call because, yep, the site was down.

Always on DRM = Game unfit for use.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

14. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 01:56 mag

I was casually interested, as it sounded interesting, looking interesting, and it was getting middling-to-good reviews.

But, the DRM means I won't look further.

Edit: There are games that I want so badly that I might abandon my convictions for them. This isn't one of them.

13. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 00:50 DrEvil

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 22:35:
Let me contribute to the thread with the generic, stock DRM comments you see in a comments section like this:

"I was interested in this game, but thanks to DRM I will avoid it" Translation: I had zero interest but just want to bitch about DRM for the sake of it

Translation:

I'm a jaded gamer who can't believe other people might actually have meaningful beliefs that keep them from buying games where they're treated like a criminal instead of a customer.

12. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 28, 2011, 00:23 Prez

TurdFergasun wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 23:09:
so you support the bullshit with your money, then crack it? glad to see you're a man of principles working towards something better, as long as you're getting what you want out of the deal who gives a shit right?

Hey Mr. High Horse, some of us don't give a shit when it comes to "working towards something better", whatever in the hell that may mean, when it comes to gaming. I know this might sound crazy, but sometimes we want to game without going on some holier-than-thou moralistic crusade. If you want to, then more power to you, but I'll save the crusading and moralizing for more critical endeavors, thanks.

11. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 27, 2011, 23:47 Frijoles

Dev wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 22:58:
Have you purchased products with the ubi crazy DRM? I've purchased settlers 7 and I've lost internet connection for a few seconds, and the game complains and won't let me keep playing.

Same here, with Settlers 7. Had issues trying to load save games despite internet working fine. Fuck Ubisoft in all their holes. And yeah, I was very much looking forward to playing this game. No interest now.

Also, any new devs that are going with Ubi, fuck them too. It's not like it's going to be a surprise anymore when Ubisoft orders them to rape their game with DRM. I felt bad for the devs when this shit started happening, but not anymore.

10. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 27, 2011, 23:09 TurdFergasun

so you support the bullshit with your money, then crack it? glad to see you're a man of principles working towards something better, as long as you're getting what you want out of the deal who gives a shit right?  

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo