Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox

As noted on ExtremeTech, MS-DOS is 30 years old today, as is was on this date in 1981 that Microsoft purchased the rights for QDOS for a reported $25,000 and launched an empire (thanks Slashdot). There are also two game anniversaries today, as Battle.net notes that it was one year ago today that they launched StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (thanks Ant). Finally, today os the tenth anniversary of the launch of ION Storm's much-loved cyberpunk RPG Anachronox in North America. Tom Hall points the way to an article from last year on The Escapist with a look back at his magnum opus.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 28, 2011, 20:39 Zadig

I didn't know Anachronox was so popular here since I rarely see it mentioned as a favorite game. I loved it when it came out and still love the characters, music, and writing.

I'd blame the commercial failure on guilt by association with Daikatana and the "Elevator Tycoon" beginning. You spent hours riding elevators back and forth as you completed quests on the first world. It's heinous enough that I imagine many people never got past it.

It's a shame that there won't be a sequel, but at least there won't be a horrendous sequel either.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 28, 2011, 18:08 Creston

grudgebearer wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 02:14:
I still have my original copy of Anachronox...gonna have to bust it out and play it again...

Good luck getting it to run though...

Loved Anachronox. It was fantastic. Never getting the second half of the story was one of the greatest disappointments in gaming.

Creston

14. My days with DOS ... Jul 28, 2011, 09:29 Ant

I used (not MS) IBM-DOS v4.0 that was terrible with its low free conventional memory on my IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 10 Mhz system. 5.0 and 6.0 were awesome though. I remember its DOS Shell too. Then, came DoubleSpace (Stacker died -- I used its software, but not its hardware card), disk defragger (Norton Utilities 8.0's was better, but there was a nasty bug if you had verify=on setting that corrupted the data!), a virus scanner, etc. Oh and multi-configurations with autoexec.bat and config.sys. Fun times!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 28, 2011, 04:35 Jerykk

noman wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 01:05:
Anachronox is an amazing game. And while it finishes with a clear indication of a potential sequel, the end is satisfying and there is some sort of closure.

It's easily, one of the best CRPGs ever.

I wouldn't exactly call it a CRPG. It had far more in common with Final Fantasy than Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment or any other traditional CRPG. It was basically an adventure game with turn-based combat. Not necessarily a bad thing, especially when the writing was as good as it was. I'd love to see another Anachronox, since the game ended on something of a cliffhanger.

12. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 28, 2011, 03:43 mag

Riker wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 23:07:
Wow, 10 years since Anachronox. It's a shame I haven't really seen Tom being associated with any exciting games since.

According to Wikipedia, he's been following Romero around since Ion Storm. Now they're both at some new 'social game' studio.

11. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 28, 2011, 02:14 grudgebearer

I still have my original copy of Anachronox...gonna have to bust it out and play it again...  

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

10. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 28, 2011, 01:20 Parias

Fion wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 22:51:
Yea I missed Anachronox myself, though I followed it's development quite a lot. I think after the disaster of Daikatana I gave up on everything from that company lol.

Not everything I hope - don't forget where Deus Ex came from.

9. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 28, 2011, 01:05 noman

Anachronox is an amazing game. And while it finishes with a clear indication of a potential sequel, the end is satisfying and there is some sort of closure.

It's easily, one of the best CRPGs ever.

8. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 28, 2011, 00:54 DrEvil

Brumbek wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 00:04:
Anachronox was so amazingly good. I'm very glad I happened to play. Yeah, the combat was boring, but an unofficial patch by one of the developers added a fast forward key, a truly must-have!

I strongly encourage everyone to play the game if they haven't already. It holds up very well since interesting characters and dialogue never go out of style.

Yep, totally agree. I loved it and played it all the way through. Was so sad that it never got a sequel (mostly I believe) because of Daikatana's failure.

7. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 28, 2011, 00:04 Brumbek

Anachronox was so amazingly good. I'm very glad I happened to play. Yeah, the combat was boring, but an unofficial patch by one of the developers added a fast forward key, a truly must-have!

I strongly encourage everyone to play the game if they haven't already. It holds up very well since interesting characters and dialogue never go out of style.

6. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 27, 2011, 23:52 reisub

Happy birthday Anachronox! One of my favourite ever RPGs. Still have it but I've no idea if it works in Windows 7. Deserves to be on GOG etc.  

5. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 27, 2011, 23:07 Riker

Wow, 10 years since Anachronox. It's a shame I haven't really seen Tom being associated with any exciting games since.  

4. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 27, 2011, 22:51 Fion

Yea I missed Anachronox myself, though I followed it's development quite a lot. I think after the disaster of Daikatana I gave up on everything from that company lol.

Maybe we'll see it at GoG someday. I'd love to give it a shot.

3. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 27, 2011, 22:28 PHJF

The combat was more than a little one-dimensional, though. Luckily the rest of the game was more than capable to see me through to the end.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 27, 2011, 22:21 Icewind

Anachronox was one of the best JRPGs I ever played, and it was a PC only game. Really funny, really long, really LARGE. Was like Chrono Trigger in space.

Can't say a good enough things about it.

1. Re: Happy Birthday(s): StarCraft 2, MS-DOS, and Anachronox Jul 27, 2011, 22:07 Dev

Huh, how did I miss Anachronox, and WTF isn't it on steam, or GoG, or impulse, etc?

I guess they don't want my money. Oh well, its floating around on the tubes I'm sure.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2011, 22:13.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo