Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time

"The cool thing about this industry is, if you’re good, you’ll make a ton of money," says Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter. "I just don’t have a whole lot of sympathy for people who say ‘I worked for such-and-such, and I didn’t get paid, and that’s not fair’. If you want to be an hourly employee, go build automobiles, and what will happen is they’ll close down your autoplant some day and you’ll be out of work."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 12:41 Prez

space captain wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 10:43:
the cool thing about america is that assholes like pachter get paid shitloads of money to run their mouths and contribute nothing but uselessness

See, there's hope for all of us forum-ites yet!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 11:00 ldonyo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 21:54:
I wish someone would look into his business a little further - wouldn't surprise me if ht is commiting all sorts of fraud...

Look at his predictions' success rate. If it were a batting average he'd be dropped from rookie ball. If that isn't fraud then we need a new definition of fraud.

23. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 10:43 space captain

the cool thing about america is that assholes like pachter get paid shitloads of money to run their mouths and contribute nothing but uselessness  
Go forth, and kill!

22. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 10:43 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 09:20:
But regardless, those saying "Pachter doesn't know work" are nuts. The man knows hard work and long hours. He also knows fame and fortune, so his view is skewed, but that doesn't mean he isn't working long and hard hours.

The guy's a millionaire at the very least. I'd say even if he does work stressful 80 hour weeks (which I highly doubt), the overall stress he endures when he gets to go back to his mansion knowing that he'll probably never have to worry about money again pales in comparison to someone in the games industry working 100+ hours a week for peanuts, being told to consider him or herself lucky if they even make it into the credits of the project they're working on. He simply cannot relate, yet he feels he has the right to talk down to them from his high horse?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

21. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 10:17 Prez

I don't even get what he's even saying. What is his point exactly?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 09:35 nutshell42

For someone who always tells kids that education is the most important thing to get rich, he seems to get by without any math at all. In particular the difference between median and average.

I really lost it when he talked about NFL players and how the average NFL player makes $5 million. No you douche, he doesn't.

NFL players on average might make $5m (no idea, certainly not in salary, but let's say it's true, perhaps with endorsements).
The average NFL player makes a lot less.

This is because there are a few high-end outliers (e.g. Peyton Brady) with no corresponding outliers at the low end (they'd have to earn -$50m). The average NFL player's washed out after 2-3 seasons, crippled, with just the minimum salary (about $300k a year) to show for having dedicated his entire life to football.

Yeah, the bonus pool for AAA game X might be $40m, and the average payout might be $100k, but I'd wager that the average developer's lucky if he sees a quarter of that.

19. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 09:30 Verno

Partially true, but I'd say it's higher stress as there's more riding on his work.

Not really, he's wrong so often it's an internet trope. He coasts on his personality. Nothing really seems to ride on his work as he's lucky in that long term consequences for his predictions are often forgotten due to the short term nature of earnings reports in the industry. His "rise to fame" has occurred during a period where there are few clear losers which doesn't hurt when your job is essentially making vague statements about performance.

But regardless, those saying "Pachter doesn't know work" are nuts. The man knows hard work and long hours. He also knows fame and fortune, so his view is skewed, but that doesn't mean he isn't working long and hard hours.

We have no way of verifying this so it seems pretty pointless to even mention.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

18. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 09:29 Silicon Avatar

Properly managed, well thought out projects, generally, do not have crunch time.  

17. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 09:22 Overon

The age old Management vs Employee conflict shows its ugly head again.  

16. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 09:20 Beamer

Something tells me his 80 hour weeks of meetings and business lunches don't compare to the sweatshop like conditions that he is glossing over.

Partially true, but I'd say it's higher stress as there's more riding on his work.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 09:13 Verno

Beamer wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 07:25:
Michael Pachter sure knows a thing or two about working hard.

Guarantee he puts in 80 hours a week.

Something tells me his 80 hour weeks of meetings and business lunches don't compare to the sweatshop like conditions that he is glossing over.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

14. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 08:41 Cutter

Why would they gave to go to an autoplant when the exact same thing happens to them working for a developer or publisher and they get screwed on pay on top of that. The only thing sadder than an idiot like Pachter getting rewarded for the nonsense he spews are the people rewarding him.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 07:47 Dades

It's a tough life being a magic 8 Ball.  

12. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 07:25 Beamer

Guarantee he puts in 80 hours a week.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 07:08 Dades

10. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 04:09 jdreyer

Wow, what a douche. I make real estate software, and despite the RE downturn over the past four years, we've stayed in the black. Yeah, sometimes we had to work late and sometimes weekends over the past few years to make sure stuff went out in good shape, but we really try to schedule stuff properly to that that doesn't happen. Would it really hurt games to add an extra few months so that people didn't have to do 16 hour days for the last 4 months of a project?

As for GM comparisons, GM had 600K workers in 1970. Today they have 70K. But IT workers today are in the hundreds of thousands. IT is the new auto industry. And people should have good jobs that pay reasonably without having to work themselves to an early death.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

9. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 03:07 Jerykk

Ah yes, and exactly what REAL work have you done in your lifetime Mr. Pachter? None? None at all? Yes, that's what I thought.

Hold on, now. He's made some pretty bold predictions. Who else would have thought that CoD 2010 was going to sell well? These things take extensive and thorough research.

8. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 26, 2011, 00:20 Bhruic

It's funny, whenever I see people arguing against unions, they always claim that we already have all the things that unions fought for anyway, and they aren't doing anything anymore. Things like 40hr work weeks.

I am curious, however, as to exactly how much of a typical "mainstream" game's budget goes towards just the employees tho'.

7. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 25, 2011, 22:44 Draugr

Tumbler wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 22:10:
If the guys at infinity ward can get caught in this trap there is no doubt in my mind that the industry needs unions.

Of course it does, like most labor forces.

Obviously, someone who is an investor mouthpiece certainly isn't going to acknowledge the shit working conditions devs can be put through. That would then mean they might need to address it, which would cut into profit.

<obligatory 'Pachter-is-a-shit-bag' comment>

6. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 25, 2011, 22:10 Tumbler

Here is the link to the whole clip. The question was do you think that the video industry will eventually unionize? His response is basically bashing the industry workers as people who whine too much and make 60k a year on average.

What it looks like from here is they are paying next to nothing, 30k a year?, promising big rewards for long hours and then at the end of it refusing to acknowledge a persons work if they aren't already signed on for another 2 years on the next project. So either you end up at another company starting another 2 years of hell or you get stuck in your current company for another 2 years working hellish hours per the contract you signed so you get some credit for 80 hour weeks you just did for 6 months. This cycle repeats because if you ever try and break the cycle you suddenly have a huge 2 year hole in your resume where no one will admit you worked on anything and the most you can get is an entry level job.

If the guys at infinity ward can get caught in this trap there is no doubt in my mind that the industry needs unions.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2011, 06:51.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo