Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2011, 20:48 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Funny, you'd think they would be more concerned with things like where he get the guns and all that ammo...oh yeah...and those explosives.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2011, 20:37 eunichron

jdreyer wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 20:26:
Hear, hear. More of this, please.

As an aside, a lot of soldiers use video games to relax. Logic would dictate that games can't be anything like their jobs if they're using them in their off time.

Exactly, and if some of the reports about this guy are true, he was a racist/xenophobic religious fundamentalist with a fucked up view of himself and the world. You don't have to have a Ph.D in psychiatry to see that the guy had serious problems.

12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2011, 20:26 jdreyer

eunichron wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 20:21:
As a former infantryman with more than the average amount of experience with firearms, explosives, and hectic situations, I can say with certainty that games do nothing to simulate a realistic situation. The notion that any game, even the so-called simulators like ArmA, could train you for such a thing is entirely ridiculous.

Video games don't create psychos, psychos just happen to like video games. Correlation is not causation.

Hear, hear. More of this, please.

As an aside, a lot of soldiers use video games to relax. Logic would dictate that games can't be anything like their jobs if they're using them in their off time.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2011, 20:21 eunichron

As a former infantryman with more than the average amount of experience with firearms, explosives, and hectic situations, I can say with certainty that games do nothing to simulate a realistic situation. The notion that any game, even the so-called simulators like ArmA, could train you for such a thing is entirely ridiculous.

Video games don't create psychos, psychos just happen to like video games. Correlation is not causation.

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2011, 20:09 mch

Fantaz wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 17:17:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 11:32:
That guy in Norway was just horrible. He called out to children saying he was police there to help them, then shot them in the back as they ran away.

No game trains you to do that.

Yes, Modern Warfare 2 trains you to kill the innocent. (Russian airport)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_surrounding_Call_of_Duty:_Modern_Warfare_2

As stupid and pointless as that was to have in the game...

Rolleyes

PSN: CaseDesignate

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2011, 18:07 jdreyer

I hope we don't have to suffer through another news cycle of "Games teach you to kill people" crap.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2011, 17:17 Fantaz

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 11:32:
That guy in Norway was just horrible. He called out to children saying he was police there to help them, then shot them in the back as they ran away.

Yes, Modern Warfare 2 trains you to kill the innocent. (Russian airport)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_surrounding_Call_of_Duty:_Modern_Warfare_2

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2011, 17:05 ^Drag0n^

Oh, I thought they said "Train Simulator." My first thought was, "WTF for? To estimate delays in his travel schedule?"

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2011, 12:44 mch

I read that he used WoW as an excuse, to explain his prolonged absences to family members and friends.  
PSN: CaseDesignate

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2011, 12:41 Jonny

Blizzard Entertainment’s 'World of Warcraft' game to help prepare for the attack.

What. The. Fuck?

I can see CoD... kinda... maybe, but WoW? How the hell is WoW supposed to help anyone train for anything?

So, like just about any 32 year old male in the west he's played WoW and CoD at least once, and that deserves higher billing in the article than the fact that he wrote a fucking manifesto and killed 76 people to publicise it?

Way to make yourselves look like arseholes even in the face of evil on this scale.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2011, 12:28 Verno

He admits to using Call of Duty and...World of Warcraft to prepare for the attack. Just bizarre. God help us if someone this crazy ever gets access to serious munitions.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2011, 11:32 Silicon Avatar

2. Re: Norway suspect admits using video games for 'training-simulation'. Jul 25, 2011, 11:29 Bill Borre

I just spent all day yesterday being very depressed about the Norway killings. I think the reason this affected so much is not even the high body count, but how organized this guy was. I disagree with you that this was "batshit insanity". Everything I read on the internet about this person shows very detailed methodical planning for his attacks which had been decided years in advance. It made me frightened to wonder how many more people like him are out there.  

1. Re: Norway suspect admits using video games for 'training-simulation'. Jul 25, 2011, 11:07 SirKnight

"“I just bought Modern Warfare 2, the game. It is probably the best military simulator out there..."

LOOOOOOOOOL! A CoD game a simulator? CoD is as much of a mil sim as Mario.

rofl!

Yeah, regenerating health and bullets that fly like laser beams are sooooo realistic.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo