Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming

"Mobile devices are changing very quickly, some people are changing their phones every year. I think it depends on what really happens with these mobile devices, what happens on the Apple Store, how Android works and what kind of store front they have and how popular those apps become," says id Software producer Jaspm Kim (Jason Kim). "There are so many different ways that this could go and it's not totally clear to us but we put something out there and I think it's done really well for us."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 25, 2011, 12:59 yuastnav

Animals for Crackers wrote on Jul 24, 2011, 22:32:
An old MS-DOS game with a 320x200 resolution on a small screen would view just fine. Way to hyperbole, yuastnav.

Yeah, first read my post, PROPERLY. Then you can try again.

DanteUK wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 10:13:
yuastnav wrote on Jul 24, 2011, 18:56:
Apart from the fact that it has a tiny screen where you cannot see anything.

Time to upgrade your phone or maybe get your eyes tested?
[...]

Oh you! I promise I'll do that right after you stop being a fucking douchebag! Scouts honour!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 25, 2011, 12:15 El Pit

DanteUK wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 11:33:
LOL
The problem with your continued use of the phrase "tiny display" is I picture an old nokia with a 2inch square screen playing snake!
That's not exactly the same as the iPhone or the HTC Desire or Samsung galaxy!

I got a Samsung i9000, but nevertheless I'd rather support a total loser like David Haye than play a game on this TINY display.

Good thing is, that we will all find out. Is our future to go back in time to small displays and dump our beloved big tfts in favor of something that is smaller than the old 14" crt we all started our gaming careers with? That's very doubtful, isn't it?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

14. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 25, 2011, 11:33 DanteUK

El Pit wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 10:30:
Good for you - but you don't count, because you're obviously a self-centered troll lacking manners.

LOL
The problem with your continued use of the phrase "tiny display" is I picture an old nokia with a 2inch square screen playing snake!
That's not exactly the same as the iPhone or the HTC Desire or Samsung galaxy!

13. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 25, 2011, 10:30 El Pit

DanteUK wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 10:13:
I've no problem seeing the screen on my HTC Desire HD(Android).
The biggest issue is responsiveness of the touch screen.
I've played a few good games on my phone but main issue is not the graphics it's the controls.
If id can get a good response time from the touch screen then I'd love for them to port the original Doom!

Good for you - but you don't count, because you're obviously a self-centered troll lacking manners.

Mobile gaming is casual gaminng. It will have some success, but look at PSP et al. - these mobile gaming consoles didn't succeed at the level analysts thought they would.

And yes, it's because of the tiny display, the controls, and many other things.

12. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 25, 2011, 10:13 DanteUK

yuastnav wrote on Jul 24, 2011, 18:56:

Time to upgrade your phone or maybe get your eyes tested?

It's a mobile device so to the idiot that asked if the guy had scrapped his 22" monitor, stop being a f*&kwit and read the subject
of the acticle!

I've no problem seeing the screen on my HTC Desire HD(Android).
The biggest issue is responsiveness of the touch screen.
I've played a few good games on my phone but main issue is not the graphics it's the controls.
If id can get a good response time from the touch screen then I'd love for them to port the original Doom!

11. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 25, 2011, 09:24 Verno

The number of mobile games is growing at an insane rate, I'm not sure the user base is growing in direct proportion to it though. There are a lot of handheld users but that doesn't translate directly into handheld gamers. It looks a lot like the Wii third party offerings these days, an insane glut.

And if mobile games want to enjoy lasting success as a permanent fixture industry they will need to court more than the five minute market, particularly where the traditional gaming industry wants to get involved.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

10. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 25, 2011, 09:00 Beamer

Mobile gaming is growing at an insane rate and will almost definitely surpass any other gaming in users, if it hasn't already.

You guys are talking about more deep gaming issues, which don't apply to mobile gaming. Mobile gaming is pretty much mostly for five minute bursts.

Sadly, I think I spend far more time mobile gaming than anything else. It's a way to waste time when stuck on a really dull conference call.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 25, 2011, 08:56 Verno

reisub wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 00:37:
The screen is the least of the problems. Touchscreen phones just don't lend themselves to proper gaming. There's no reason why hand-held consoles and mobile phones can't converge though.

I think the screen is a problem but the input controls are a much bigger issue. I doubt I'm the only gamer who is literally attached to having some sense of feedback when I play games and I have yet to see a handheld game do that well.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

8. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 25, 2011, 03:47 El Pit

reisub wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 00:37:
The screen is the least of the problems. Touchscreen phones just don't lend themselves to proper gaming. There's no reason why hand-held consoles and mobile phones can't converge though.

WOW. Just WOW. The tiny screen ain't a problem? Rrrrright. I guess you sold your 24" or more tft? SIZE MATTERS. Not only when it comes to displays. I simply don't get involved in the world on a tiny display. And after just 10 minutes or so, I get a headache.

Mobile gaming can only work if it can get rid of the dwarven displays. We need to connect the "smart" phones (how can a phone be smart, if the user is phoney?) directly to our brains, so that we are actually in that virtual game world. That would work. Anything else - no.

7. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 25, 2011, 00:37 reisub

6. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 24, 2011, 22:32 Animals for Crackers

An old MS-DOS game with a 320x200 resolution on a small screen would view just fine. Way to hyperbole, yuastnav.  

5. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 24, 2011, 18:56 yuastnav

JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 24, 2011, 18:33:
[...] The interface is a little rough, but there is no reason why a turn based strategy game like Master of Orion wouldn't work very easily.

4. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 24, 2011, 18:33 JohnBirshire

I haven't found any decent games to play on my smartphone. Everything seems to be extremely casual, like Angry Birds. The only real decent game I played was Orcs & Elves. These smartphones are far more powerful than the old 486 computers, there are a lot of classics that could be played on them, would be nice to see some of them imported. The interface is a little rough, but there is no reason why a turn based strategy game like Master of Orion wouldn't work very easily.  

3. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 24, 2011, 18:03 [VG]Reagle

Id should shut their traps and worry about actually producing a AAA game instead of the CRAP they make.  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

2. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 24, 2011, 17:04 Tanto Edge

I think they should introduce a law.
If your game company revenues are over 1,000,000 a year, you are not allowed to develop for XBLA, Mobile platforms, lest it be an altruistic production to improve the medium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

1. Re: Quoteworthy - id on Mobile Gaming Jul 24, 2011, 16:59 Sir Graves

Keep yer itty-bitty, tiny-screen mobile games or "apps", id, and please just concentrate on making real games (which take you long enough as it is).  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo