Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Epic on Bulletstorm Sales

Kotaku has some perspective on sales of Bulletstorm from Epic president Mike Capps, after hearing from EA that People Can Fly's recent first-person shooter "under-performed," and learning from a financial analyst that the game barely sold 300,000 units in its first month of availability. Capps confirms that the game didn't make them any money, but still thinks it was a worthy project as he looks ahead to PCF's next project. They paraphrase him saying: "Capps says they could have taken the easy route all along, not done Bulletstorm and gotten People Can Fly, the Epic-owned Polish development studio on that game to just chrun [sic] out Gears of War content. That's not what he wants those folks doing. That's not what he wants Epic doing." They also offer a direct quote. "The studio has shipped AAA content," he said. "The next thing we do with People Can Fly will be great."

View
168 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

48. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 19:38 |RaptoR|

I bought it at full price on launch day. Enjoyed the hell out if it, got mad at the lack of multiplayer, and put it on my shelf. Hasn't been played since the first week.

Still, I don't consider it a bad game. It was a ton of fun, immature and stupid at points, but it was a refreshing break from tactical shooters.

I'd buy it again, at retail. Sad that it didn't do that good. It's definitely a polished title

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 19:35 Wetworks

I bough it for $12 when it went on sale at GamersGate and I've been enjoying it so far. If I had to make a comparison I'd liken it to the Fast and Furious movies. A loud, big, dumb, action movie where you put your brain on hold and just have fun.

46. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 19:23 Beamer

You have an extremely odd definition of "same." GoW is a slow, third-person, cover-based shooter that rewards you for hiding behind cover. Bulletstorm is a fast, first-person, run-and-gun shooter that rewards you for taking risks.

Was going to say this. All the "Gears of War" comments are mostly idiotic. Very different plot. Very different world. Very different graphics. Very different weapons. Very different enemies and AI.
I would say there are two similarities, though; one pointless, one that was a fault.
1) Main character had comic book beefy proportions
2) Control. You controlled similar to Gears. You were slower than you should have been (makes sense in Gears, where you're as armored as an M1 Abrams) and you couldn't jump. Man, just adding a jump would have killed so many complaints.
Could you seek cover? No differently than any other game. It wasn't a game based around cover like Gears.

I think the marketing hurt this game. I can't say how much, as I don't know how many people actually paid attention, but those Deep Thoughts viral spots were terrible. While I agree with that RockPaperScissor article someone posted that called the game StupidDumb, those ads were DumbDumb. They made the people in it seem annoying, made the game seem juvenile, and oddly focused on the US team rather than the polish team doing the hard labor. I think, similar to the Makes You His Bitch ad, this just really struck a lot of gamers the wrong way, which started bad word of mouth prior to launch.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 19:19 Elf Shot The Food

I wonder how many copies the 360 version would have sold if it didn't include a code for the Gears of War 3 beta?

I kind of liked the BulletStorm demo, but that's all I've of played of it so far. It'll make for a great daily deal during the Steam Christmas sale, though.

44. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 19:18 Beamer

An unsurprising outcome but at least they didn't blame pc pirates for the lack of sales and all the world's evils.

Because the focus of this game was consoles, and outside of PC gamers no one discusses console piracy. It's miniscule relative to sales in comparison to PC piracy, and it's very difficult to do (maybe no longer on the PS3) and done only by those that would clearly never buy a game. Xbox 360 piracy is a monumental bitch and not common. PC piracy is as easy as going to a website.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

43. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 19:17 Jerykk

When all Bulletstorm did was GoW 2.5 with some points. Game feels the same, plays the same, looks the same, etc etc etc.

You have an extremely odd definition of "same." GoW is a slow, third-person, cover-based shooter that rewards you for hiding behind cover. Bulletstorm is a fast, first-person, run-and-gun shooter that rewards you for taking risks.

Those are pretty much polar opposites. Can you take cover in Bulletstorm? Sure, but if you're hiding behind cover all the time, you're obviously missing the point of the game. The only similarities between the games is that they use the same engine and the human armor design is somewhat similar. Both are purely superficial similarities that have no impact on gameplay.

It's not an interesting game, it's not a fun game, it's a caricature of a game.

Note that I'm saying this without having played it but it's up to Epic to sell me on the premise and on the game as a whole.

You're making some really strong statements about something you've never actually played. You're free to criticize the game's marketing all you want but you should actually play the game itself before declaring that it's neither interesting nor fun.

42. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 19:07 Creston

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 18:00:
I called you a hater for judging the game without really playing it. The game took me 12 hours to beat, 5 is absurdly unrepresentative.

Where exactly am I HATING on the game? Do you even understand what the word MEANS? I said that a gimmicky 5 hour shooter (fine, it took you 12. There have been several reviews that have said 5. There have been people on Blues that have said 5. It's a short game that can be extended based on how much effort you put into making flashy combos. It's not a Bioshock or Deus Ex type game with a ton of content,) isn't going to sell millions of copies. That's a simple truth in gaming. One paragraph before, I even give KUDOS to EPIC (Of all fucking developers) for allowing PCF to make Bulletstorm, rather than more Gears of War shit.

In your paranoid little world, this apparently means hating?
Whatever. You're the lone rebel that sees the true value in the world, man. Keep fighting the good fight.

Creston

41. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 18:49 ASeven

An unsurprising outcome but at least they didn't blame pc pirates for the lack of sales and all the world's evils.  

40. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 18:37 xXBatmanXx

I find this interesting:
"Capps says they could have taken the easy route all along, not done Bulletstorm and gotten People Can Fly, the Epic-owned Polish development studio on that game to just chrun [sic] out Gears of War content. That's not what he wants those folks doing. That's not what he wants Epic doing."

When all Bulletstorm did was GoW 2.5 with some points. Game feels the same, plays the same, looks the same, etc etc etc.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

39. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 18:29 nutshell42

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 18:08:
The fact they closed down Bullfrog and Westwood doesn't make that not the case.

They also killed Origin and are now raping its corpse.

About Bulletstorm. Imho it's like "the gamer" in ads, so ridiculously forced that he's far from being interesting, engaging, or whatever other crap the marketing people wanted him to be. Bulletstorm just tried too hard, it felt like a game a commission of marketing executives came up with by looking at focus group data and "turning it to the MAX!!!!!1!oneoneone". It's not an interesting game, it's not a fun game, it's a caricature of a game.

Note that I'm saying this without having played it but it's up to Epic to sell me on the premise and on the game as a whole. And they completely failed at that task, not just with me but with the overwhelming majority of people, despite a ridiculous amount of Bulletstorm hype beforehand (There were times when every day would bring at least two Bulletstorm stories).

38. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 18:08 StingingVelvet

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 16:20:
This guy is the biggest EA apologist in the world. Seriously, if EA sold bags with feces in them, he'd talk about how great the bag was, and how you're all judging the feces harshly, and didn't give it a chance or try it out.

As I just said to Creston, I don't play these stupid forum games. I say what I like and I say what I don't. I have never once pretended to like something or liked/disliked something because of the talent or publisher involved. EA is capable of making great games and crappy games, as evidenced by Mass Effect 2 (great game) and Medal of Honor (crappy game).

EA certainly, in my experience, has a better quality output than Activision or Ubisoft. The fact they closed down Bullfrog and Westwood doesn't make that not the case.

37. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 18:01 Prez

Because of the stupidly short SP, {EDIT - DOH! Mixed it up with Homefront - it was the focus on MP and the $60 price tag for what seemed to be a gimmicky shooter that turned me off of Bulletstorm} I never even gave this game a second glance. Maybe for 10 bucks on a sale I'll pick it up, as it seems like it could be worth that price.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2011, 15:34.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

36. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 18:00 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 16:40:
Yep. It's funny how I'm a "hater" for saying that a gimmicky 5 hour shooter won't sell millions of copies, when while he's ranting and raving about Steam, we're all wrong for calling him a hater and what ever happened to being allowed to having different opinions.

I called you a hater for judging the game without really playing it. The game took me 12 hours to beat, 5 is absurdly unrepresentative.

Anyone who wants to bash Bulletstorm can of course, but I suggest watching TotalBiscuit's "WTF is" on the game. He explains perfectly well why it is a great game and stands out amidst the pack of crap the shooter genre pushes out now-a-days. It's not an old-school shooter with modern graphics but it's about as close as we have gotten in a decade. You can doubt my PC gamer "credentials" or rationality all you like, but you can't bash TB's.

As for me being an "EA apologist" I call things like I see them. I say I enjoyed games I enjoyed and didn't ones I didn't. I've never once played the games others seem all too eager to, bashing a game because the company that funded it pissed them off 12 years ago or whatever. That just seems like a waste of time to me, and a good way to miss out on great games.

35. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 17:34 Bhruic

All these Bulletstorm detractors... it goes to show you, people who say they want something like Duke Nukem 3D with today's graphics really do not want Duke Nukem 3D with today's graphics.

Wow. So many assumptions in that sentence it's not funny.

1) The Bulletstorm detractors are the same people saying they wanted Duke Nukem 3D with today's graphics.
2) Bulletstorm is like Duke Nukem 3D with today's graphics.
3) The reasons people are commenting negatively on Bulletstorm are solely for reasons that are reflective of Duke Nukem 3D

If you want to defend Bulletstorm, by all means, do so, but unless you can present a compelling case for why people who would like Duke Nukem 3D with today's graphics should like it, it's a comparison best left out.

34. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 17:20 Vulkan

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 14:21:
It had some pretty funny dialog, actually better than a lot of games manage, but it was more in the vein of stuff like, well, pretty much any movie with Vin Diesel in it.

I found the dialog more comparable to something like American Pie or any of the Scary Movie/Typical-Spoof-Movie than The typical Vin Diesel yarn.

For the record, I also liked Bulletstorm. A balls to the wall action shooter that came during a time when I was swimming in tactical shooters, felt like a breath of fresh air.

33. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 16:56 mag

reisub wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 16:19:
The studio has shipped AAA content...
What does that even mean? Whoever first coined that should be shot. Plus by the sounds of it, if they did ship "AAA content", they certainly didn't ship very much of it.

I think the number of As is how many digits their marketing budgets have, in 100,000s. A=~$100,000 for marketing, AA=~$1,000,000 for marketing, AAA=~$10,000,000.

32. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 16:45 nin

Creston wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 16:40:
This guy is the biggest EA apologist in the world. Seriously, if EA sold bags with feces in them, he'd talk about how great the bag was, and how you're all judging the feces harshly, and didn't give it a chance or try it out.

Yep. It's funny how I'm a "hater" for saying that a gimmicky 5 hour shooter won't sell millions of copies, when while he's ranting and raving about Steam, we're all wrong for calling him a hater and what ever happened to being allowed to having different opinions.

So the issue is really, it's fine to have different opinions as long as HE is the one with the different opinion.

Keep working on that hypocrisy there, Velvet, buddy. You're getting awfully good at it. Golfclap

Creston

Don't forget about the pages and pages he went on defending Dragon Age 2, and how great it was...

as HE is the one with the different opinion.

I think a few people just come here to argue and get attention.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 16:42 DDI

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 15:16:
You can't jump in Bulletstorm, right? I am amazed it sold more than 10,000 copies.

Not that jumping is integral to a FPS, but what exactly was their horribly contrived reasoning for no jumping?

No, no it is not. They had some slick sliding moves however. The game was great fun, old school in the top your high score kind of way. The challenge wasn't in surviving but racking up as many points as you can. Calling this game a gimmick is completely missing the point.

If you played it as a straight shooter instead of trying every crazy way possible to kill guys then you were missing out.

Also, this http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/08/the-rps-verdict-bulletstorm/
Anyone who disagrees with the hivemind must burn.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2011, 16:47.

30. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 16:40 Creston

So the issue is really, it's fine to have different opinions as long as HE is the one with the different opinion.

Keep working on that hypocrisy there, Velvet, buddy. You're getting awfully good at it. Golfclap

Creston

29. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 16:27 Rhett

wonkawonka wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 16:17:
I liked Bulletstorm much more than I thought I would. It was gifted to me so price wasn't a factor, but still I value my time much more than the $20-60 the game might cost.
The main negative about Bulletsorm is that it's on rails. The positives are many: tactical scoring with cool combos, a decent story, good visuals.
Bulletsorm was a good title with innovative elements, and I was happy to have played it (and I still play the Echoes every once in a while to let off steam).

And the main character is voiced by Steve Blum. Though, he's got his hands in like every shooter now-a-days. He did an excellent drunken space pirate badass. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but my main issue was that some combos were much better in repetition than creativity, at some points. Very fun, creative shooter that is pretty cheap now.

168 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo