Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: etc. Jul 24, 2011, 17:08 yuastnav

Shok wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 17:24:
[...] Kind of sad that he has basically given up on romantic relationships though. [...]

Why?
To each their own.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: etc. Jul 24, 2011, 14:05 xXBatmanXx

THey have another game, Liberal City mob or something to that affect. Downloaded both games, hope to get some time in them later this week.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: etc. Jul 24, 2011, 12:07 nin

Haven't heard of DW - hope to get some time in it

I've heard nothing but amazing things about it, but I admit the interface is a bit of a turn off. Not that the "graphics" (and I use that term loosely) are a show stopper, but more in trying to figure out WTF is going on.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: etc. Jul 24, 2011, 08:25 nyr27

I suggest the aptly named Lazy Newb Pack:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

It comes with the game, a few good tile sets, and a bunch of utilities like the Dwarf Therapist which help a bit getting around the interface.

Also search youtube for some let's play for a walkthrough of the whole game.

6. Re: etc. Jul 23, 2011, 20:32 D4rkKnight

It requires a strong processor actually, if you don't have one and get decently far into fortress building it will slow your machine to a crawl and you will be unable to continue.  

5. Re: etc. Jul 23, 2011, 18:53 xXBatmanXx

Haven't heard of DW - hope to get some time in it. Be nice to play on the laptop - doesn't appear to be resource intensive at all.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: etc. Jul 23, 2011, 17:41 Vulkan

Some people call it a difficulty curve.

The people who stick it out with the game call it a difficulty wall.

The realists among us call it a difficulty precipice.

That said, Bay 12 have repeatedly said a UI overhaul is coming, but that there are more important things to work on before they can get to there, unfortunately they've been saying this for quite some time now.

3. Re: etc. Jul 23, 2011, 17:24 Shok

That's an interesting article on the dwarf fortress devs. Kind of sad that he has basically given up on romantic relationships though. And his diet sounds pretty destructive but at 33 I guess he won't have issues for a few more years.

I haven't played DF yet but I'm pretty hooked on Terraria at the moment so probably won't be trying it anytime soon.

2. Re: etc. Jul 23, 2011, 13:02 Nomaar

I don't mind the graphics. They force you to use your imagination. The UI, however, is another story. For the average gamer, it's an obstacle to really appreciating the game.  

1. Re: etc. Jul 23, 2011, 12:54 Silicon Avatar

Dwarf Fortress might be fun if it had a decent UI and some basic tile graphics.

I know you can get tilesets for it, but that doesn't help the user interface.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo