Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website offers a new Comic-Con trailer from BioWare's upcoming MMORPG. Here's word on the clip, which is titled Join the Fight: "The uneasy peace established by the Treaty of Coruscant is broken and both the Galactic Republic and Sith Empire build their armies. As both sides prepare for open war, a new generation of heroes must rise up to meet the challenges of a volatile age, declaring their allegiances and fighting for what they believe in."

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 24, 2011, 19:51 Jerykk

It's a massive waste of time and money on something that gamers have so far shown no interest in - licensed WoWclones.

I wouldn't go that far. This is both a Star Wars game and an RPG from Bioware. There will no doubt be a large number of subscribers, at least initially. At one point, the $150 collector's edition was actually sold out at Amazon.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 24, 2011, 12:51 Zadig

Kawlisse wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 10:32:
I understand Star wars might not be your game, bashing it is ridiculous. I personally hate Eve and Guild Wars, it does'nt mean they are failures ! You seem to forget about the class specializations... Also if the game is fully voiced, it does costs loads of money, advertising also sucks lots of money.

PS: also the 300 million budget is ridiculous. unless we see real numbers from EA or Bioware I wont believe it! I've seen numbers from 80 to 100 millions... and I think those are more accurate.

I actually enjoyed most of KOTOR. I don't enjoy WoWclones. They have a 100% failure rate and the trailers certainly haven't provided any reason for optimism.

The $300 million was mentioned last year. Some EA/Bioware drone also called it "the largest ever development project, period, in the history of the company". It's a massive waste of time and money on something that gamers have so far shown no interest in - licensed WoWclones.

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 24, 2011, 00:24 Golem

Known so far:

Human - ALL
Mirialans - Jedi Consular, Smuggler
Miraluka - Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular
Twi'lek - Jedi Consular, Smuggler
Sith Pureblood - Sith Warrior
Zabraks - Trooper, Jedi Knight, Imperial Agent, Bounty Hunter
Rattataki - Bounty Hunter, Sith Inquisitor
Chiss - Imperial Agent

Obviously this isn't a final list... but I found it here:

I only got to see four races and one of them was not on that list. But then they are all humanoid races. Like somebody else said it makes sense with all the voice acting and cutscenes required. Anyway I don't work there and your guess is as good as mine. Not to mention I know a lot less about the canon than most. I've seen the movies but other than that... nothing.

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 23:14 Jerykk

They are all so near-human that you cant really tell the difference accept they have a bit of extra flesh here or there, or their skin is a different color. To me that is a cop out. Especially when you consider many of them are races you wouldn't expect in a star wars game, like they went out of their way to find the most human like and went with that (even going so far as including the Chiss, an extremely rare race in Star Wars lore. I mean they only have one of the more recognized races, Twilek.

I'm guessing it's because of all the dialogue and corresponding facial animation the game has. When all the races look like humans, you can use the same rig and greatly reduce the number of animations required. If players could choose the more exotic races, unique rigs would have to be made and the animation workload would increase significantly. SWG didn't have any facial animation or dialogue, if I recall correctly, so that wasn't an issue.

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 13:23 Fion

This trailer highlights one of my biggest issues with this game. The races. They all look generally the same. They are all so near-human that you cant really tell the difference accept they have a bit of extra flesh here or there, or their skin is a different color. To me that is a cop out. Especially when you consider many of them are races you wouldn't expect in a star wars game, like they went out of their way to find the most human like and went with that (even going so far as including the Chiss, an extremely rare race in Star Wars lore. I mean they only have one of the more recognized races, Twilek. And I suppose the Zabrak.

I hate to hearken back to SWG but at least it had a wide variety of races to choose from, each with their own distinct look. We had Bothan (which was what I played hehe), Ithorians, Mon Calamari, Rodians, Sullustans, Trandoshans, Wookiees. Each a popular and instantly recognizable race that didn't look basically exactly like each other. Granted a few of those came in with expansions but thats not the point.

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 12:10 Drayth

Sith is both a race, and later in Star Wars lore (and in the time of the game) reference to any dark jedi. Their ways of tapping into the dark side of the force became the most popular, turning it into a sort of religion.

They were originally held prisoner by exiled dark jedi, and the term pureblood came into play from all the inter-species breeding that occured during their capture.

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 11:35 wtf_man

Gymper wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 07:42:
Are they planning to have different playable character races? Seems silly to me not to, since the Star Wars Universe is so diverse. The trailer showed only Human and Sith.

Even though I won't buy this game... I did a little research for you.

There are 8 playable races. One race is called "Sith Pureblood", however "The Sith" are really two classes (Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor) in the game.

http://www.wikiswtor.com/Races

Humans can play any class or side... Other races have limitations to a class or side

Known so far:

Human - ALL
Mirialans - Jedi Consular, Smuggler
Miraluka - Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular
Twi'lek - Jedi Consular, Smuggler
Sith Pureblood - Sith Warrior
Zabraks - Trooper, Jedi Knight, Imperial Agent, Bounty Hunter
Rattataki - Bounty Hunter, Sith Inquisitor
Chiss - Imperial Agent

Obviously this isn't a final list... but I found it here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=188836#anchor6

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2011, 11:41.

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 11:15 Dades

PS: also the 300 million budget is ridiculous. unless we see real numbers from EA or Bioware I wont believe it! I've seen numbers from 80 to 100 millions... and I think those are more accurate.

Clearly based on the pitiful footage shown it has to be a very small number.

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 11:01 Rossafur

Wish they would get around to upgrading the resolution of the videos they post on their site...  

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 10:32 Kawlisse

Zadig wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 09:23:
So after years of development it will ship with Horde and Alliance factions but only 4 classes per side? I see that $300 million was clearly well spent.

The combat looks terrible too. Enemies just standing around waiting to be killed in one hit. I also saw some chest high walls.

I understand Star wars might not be your game, bashing it is ridiculous. I personally hate Eve and Guild Wars, it does'nt mean they are failures ! You seem to forget about the class specializations... Also if the game is fully voiced, it does costs loads of money, advertising also sucks lots of money.

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 09:24 Paranoid Jack

Same four races for both sides unless they change something between now and the beginning of the year. GameStop has a February release on their books, not shown publicly of course. And though I wouldn't call it "WoW In Space" it does borrow from the standard MMO norms. It's very cutscene/voice acted heavy compared to most current or older MMOs.

edit: I think the videos are a bit misleading as far as the one hit kills go. Of course if you go into a zone with lower level Mobs & NPCs you will kill them with one hit or two. Though in a lot of games a critical hit can sometimes equate to what is a one or two hit kill on like level Mobs/NPCs. I wouldn't get too hung up on that. You have to remember like most MMOs some creatures/enemies will be prone to certain types of damage and if you spec your toon right you will be able to go thru them much faster. I'm not saying this is the case here because I haven't seen enough... I'm just sayin'...

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2011, 09:33.

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 09:23 Zadig

So after years of development it will ship with Horde and Alliance factions but only 4 classes per side? I see that $300 million was clearly well spent.

The combat looks terrible too. Enemies just standing around waiting to be killed in one hit. I also saw some chest high walls.

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 08:19 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 07:06:
WoW in space. Yawn. Bring on GW2 already, kthnx.

Was my first reaction - guess it depends on when they come out.....I know I don't have enough free time for both of them...

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 08:09 Jerykk

I don't think Sith is actually a race. At least, not within the context of the game. But yes, you can choose from multiple races.  

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 07:42 Gymper

Are they planning to have different playable character races? Seems silly to me not to, since the Star Wars Universe is so diverse. The trailer showed only Human and Sith.  

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 07:17 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 07:06:

From what I've seen and read, it looks more like KOTOR 2.5 with a monthly fee.

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 07:06 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 02:30 Illumin

4 classes isn't nothing new, fighter, rogue, cleric, mage. Sounds like the norm to me. Id be surprised if you ever really saw anything more than the tank/healer/dps/support that MMO's seem fixated on. Nothing wrong with it, it works just nothing ground breaking.  

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 02:25 Sempai

Give us a date already or shut the fuck up Bioware.

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Jul 23, 2011, 01:28 Mashiki Amiketo

I have to admit, I like how the game looks. But I'll wait especially after getting burned on AoC.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo