Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2011, 02:05 Dades

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 24, 2011, 01:49:
Pot meet kettle.....now get along...

Pot meet kettle, how original. You sure took the wind out of my sails, well done chap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2011, 01:49 xXBatmanXx

Dades wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 13:55:
I hope it was a productive use of your free time, please tell me more about how your opinions are fortune cookie wafers.

Pot meet kettle.....now get along...

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2011, 13:55 Dades

You just spent more time writing that kook post than you did playing the game, well done weirdo.

I hope it was a productive use of your free time, please tell me more about how your opinions are fortune cookie wafers.

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2011, 13:48 Beamer

instead of dismissing it as a clone of something else based on their fart length gameplay session.

1) Reread my post. I'm pretty upfront about spending limited time, and never once did I use the term "clone." I said I spent about 15 minutes and did nothing but cut trees, mine for elements, create torches, hide at night and partake in rather poorly controlled combat. All of which felt exactly like MineCraft.
2) Again, tell me why I should continue a game that feels exactly like another game I wasn't a huge fan of. Tell me why I should ignore the other 30 or so unplayed games on my Steam list, or not go back to a classic I adore, or not do something entirely different, when I have such little free time. If something, after 15 minutes, strikes me as not worth any more time why should I keep putting time in?

Like I said, I typically have about 45 minutes of unclaimed time at home per day. On good days it's closer to 1.5 hours. That time is convenient to serialized TV (yet you call me short on attention span, dumbass), or a few X-COM missions. Why the hell would I spend it on something I don't like?
It isn't about attention span, it's about time. Some people on this board get so panty-bunched when I say I gave up on a game after less than an hour. Sorry, I just can't dedicate that much time to something I'm not enjoying. A shame your time isn't valuable, too.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2011, 11:16 Dades

DNForever wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 08:26:
Admittedly when you reach a certain point, the enemies become so easy that mining for any more upgrades seems a waste of time. Two of the bosses are there to unlock materials, and one is the guardian of the "Dungeon", so when you beat them it's pretty much game over, but the process was really fun.

Yes but he barely spent enough time learning even the basics of the game so he's speaking out of his ass where you are speaking out of experience. Hes even worse than a time limited reviewer, at least they can say hey this wasnt for me so I didnt waste any more time with it instead of dismissing it as a clone of something else based on their fart length gameplay session.

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2011, 10:23 Beamer

These games are all the same, they fire guns at stuff!! No one cares how you spend your free time but maybe you should think twice about critiquing games when you spent about as much time playing them as you would making a sandwich.

It takes you 10 minutes to make a sandwich? That doesn't strike you as problematic?

And my critique was "not worth putting more time into when there are so many better things to do." Again, we don't all have hours to game. I've been putting in somewhere around 80 hours a week at work the past few months. I have barely any free time. I'm not going to invest some of that time into something that is already boring me.

It's really not hard to figure out here.

-------------

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2011, 08:26 DNForever

Admittedly when you reach a certain point, the enemies become so easy that mining for any more upgrades seems a waste of time. Two of the bosses are there to unlock materials, and one is the guardian of the "Dungeon", so when you beat them it's pretty much game over, but the process was really fun.  

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2011, 01:09 Dades

Achievement Unlocked: Played game for 10 minutes successfully! (20G)

These games are all the same, they fire guns at stuff!! No one cares how you spend your free time but maybe you should think twice about critiquing games when you spent about as much time playing them as you would making a sandwich.

25. Re: Consumers soon “won’t pay $60 for a game anymore” Jul 23, 2011, 00:38 Beamer

Short attention span current generation gamer spotted. No cheevos in the first 15 minutes, gave up game sucks!!

Ok, so if I have 30-45 minutes of free time a night, and I spend 15 minutes in a game and do nothing unique in it compared to another game that I didn't much like, why is it that I'd keep playing this one in particular? It's not like I'm short on games to play.

After 15 minutes I felt like another episode of Breaking Bad would be a far, far, farfarfar better use of my time.

-------------

24. Re: Consumers soon “won’t pay $60 for a game anymore” Jul 22, 2011, 20:58 Dades

Beamer wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 19:35:
Ok, I only played 15 minutes

Short attention span current generation gamer spotted. No cheevos in the first 15 minutes, gave up game sucks!!

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 22, 2011, 19:54 Jonny

If people think it's worth throwing down that much money, why not let them?

It's just a bit grubby, and the part of me that's pure english thrift is horrified by the disdain for the value of money it displays.

22. Re: Consumers soon “won’t pay $60 for a game anymore” Jul 22, 2011, 19:35 Beamer

I paid 7 bucks for Terraria on Steam and have played the hell out of it, it's taken up all my game time

I only played it briefly, but I cut down trees, mined into the ground, found steel and crafted a new sword. I then hid for the night.

Once it turned to night and better monsters showed up I turned it off. The combat felt even worse than MineCraft's to me and, quite frankly, it felt like a lesser version of that game.

Ok, I only played 15 minutes, but someone here told me it wasn't much like MineCraft. Those 15 were identical to the first 15 in MineCraft, only from a new perspective.

-------------

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 22, 2011, 19:34 killer_roach

Jonny wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 19:18:
Right, The Star Wars TOR Collector's Edition sold out almost immediately. Despite being over three times the price of the already more expensive than usual base game and offering nothing but some virtual vanity shit, a plastic doll, a comic book and a CD.

Try to hide it as much as you like, EA, but we know you're pushing already to see just how high you can price games before the majority of the customer base chokes on it.

If people think it's worth throwing down that much money, why not let them?

20. Re: Consumers soon “won’t pay $60 for a game anymore” Jul 22, 2011, 19:23 DNForever

I paid 7 bucks for Terraria on Steam and have played the hell out of it, it's taken up all my game time. Same thing with Defense Grid: The Awakening. I think it was 10 bucks and I got tons of play out of it. Considering those two it does seem silly to pay 60 for a game.

Gymper wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 17:07:
Got news for you - I won't pay $60 now. I'm happy to wait a few weeks until the price drops or when they go on sale.

Currently, I am enjoying my $14.99 copy of Dungeon Siege III on the XBox. I can see why people complained about it, but I'm satisfied for the price I paid.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 22, 2011, 19:18 Jonny

Right, The Star Wars TOR Collector's Edition sold out almost immediately. Despite being over three times the price of the already more expensive than usual base game and offering nothing but some virtual vanity shit, a plastic doll, a comic book and a CD.

Try to hide it as much as you like, EA, but we know you're pushing already to see just how high you can price games before the majority of the customer base chokes on it.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 22, 2011, 18:27 xXBatmanXx

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 11:54:
Yeah, they won't pay $60 for a game. They'll pay 3 times that between the subscription and the microtransactions to get the same amount of content they got for $60.

You wouldn't be talking about the clusterfuck that is CoD Blops would you!~? heh.

115.00 game.....morons.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

17. Re: Consumers soon “won’t pay $60 for a game anymore” Jul 22, 2011, 17:07 Gymper

Got news for you - I won't pay $60 now. I'm happy to wait a few weeks until the price drops or when they go on sale.

Currently, I am enjoying my $14.99 copy of Dungeon Siege III on the XBox. I can see why people complained about it, but I'm satisfied for the price I paid.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2011, 17:15.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 22, 2011, 15:14 ASeven

nin wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 11:26:

2011 is the year of the indie, and it's fucking awesome.

Oh yeah! Indies will take over pc gaming soon enough and I, for one, welcome our new indie overlords.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 22, 2011, 14:35 killer_roach

DNForever wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 13:40:
EA Guy: Consumers won't pay 60, but we're hoping they'll pay 200 a year for the same thing.

I like how he sets up the idea of the "infrastructure", so in the future they can talk about how hard they worked to start some crazy-ass streaming service they can charge a ton of money for.

The serious marketing guy will say that they'll want people to pay as close to what they're willing to pay as possible. If it means that they pay $10-20 and that's it? Well, it's better than nothing. If it means that they're so obsessed with the game that they're willing to spend $250 or more? Sure, accommodate those people as well.

That's really where the microtransaction and DLC model is likely headed - try and get as many people in the door as possible, then bleed the diehards dry.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 22, 2011, 14:29 Creston

Illumin wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 13:35:
Are you all blind GTA, Star Wars consoles?

I think most consoles are, by definition, blind. I'm not sure why the GTA or Star Wars consoles would somehow be exempt from that general assumption?

Creston

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo