Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue and I are currently working through a disagreement over whether to get a portable air conditioner. For ten years now we've been able to get by with only one AC unit, which is up in my office, relying on the high ceilings, ceiling fans, and other elements that keep the house bearable in the summer. This current heatwave has finally got me willing to give in on this, but as has been repeatedly demonstrated, my willpower pales in comparison with my better half's as she is remaining stubbornly steadfast in her refusal to consider this.

Melting Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Organ Trail. Thanks reddit.
Catch the Candy Mech.
Superfighters.
Links: 17 Real Life Mysteries. Thanks nin via Digg.
Stories: 'Star Wars' Deleted Scenes: Complete Saga Blu-Ray Includes Forgotten Footage.
Tenn. black bear saved from jar stuck on its head.
Ridley Scott's 3D Alien remake plans. Thanks nin.
Science: A quick rip-off eases ouch factor. Thanks Neatorama.
Images: The last shuttle mission - Atlantis - STS-135. Thanks Jim.
Bald Eagle Lands on Grave at US Military Cemetery.
Media: MMA- All Nut-shot Edition.
The New York Times Homepage.
The Funnies: xkcd- Mimic Octopus.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2011, 09:34 Verno

I don't know about where Blue is, but as I mentioned, for me this is a total non-issue. Even if I crank the AC, the electricity is much cheaper than the natural gas I burn for heat in the winter.

Yeah exactly. A/C is pretty cheap on electricity due to all of the advances in power efficiency of A/C units over the last ten years. Running 2 ACs and 4 overhead fans last year our monthly bill was up about $10 at the most during the summer months. Electric heat on the other hand is ridiculously expensive, gas is way cheaper there.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2011, 09:22 Mr. Tact

Ant wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 13:20:
Wait until she sees the electricity bill.
I don't know about where Blue is, but as I mentioned, for me this is a total non-issue. Even if I crank the AC, the electricity is much cheaper than the natural gas I burn for heat in the winter.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2011, 13:20 Ant

nin wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 12:16:
Dude, just buy the thing when she's at work. Better to ask for forgiveness later, right? Cause you'll be all cool and say "You don't have to sit in the cool part of the house if you don't want to. And it is the 21st century."

Wait until she sees the electricity bill.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

59. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2011, 12:16 nin

Dude, just buy the thing when she's at work. Better to ask for forgiveness later, right? Cause you'll be all cool and say "You don't have to sit in the cool part of the house if you don't want to. And it is the 21st century."

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

58. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2011, 10:32  Blue 

Ant wrote on Jul 24, 2011, 18:40:
Heh, I noticed women hate the AC like my mom, my friend's mom, etc. They always say too cold (not even hot to them) and too expensive. Blue, I am also upstair and it goes up to 90F degrees during the heat waves. How hot is it in in your office room? :(

My office is the finished attic... I have never experimented, but I would bet anything that without AC it would have reached the 120s up here every day last week.

How do the dogs feel? Do they vote for AC too?

I would say they do. This is my best argument for getting another AC unit, but so far has not helped. It's worse for Gunnar-man, but after I gave him a haircut last week and he's been much more comfortable, so while I'm happy for him, I didn't help my cause.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

57. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2011, 18:40 Ant

Heh, I noticed women hate the AC like my mom, my friend's mom, etc. They always say too cold (not even hot to them) and too expensive. Blue, I am also upstair and it goes up to 90F degrees during the heat waves. How hot is it in in your office room?

How do the dogs feel? Do they vote for AC too?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

56. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2011, 00:55 Mr. Tact

Ok, I'm late to the party here and don't feel like reading the responses, so apologies in advance.

Blue, WTF? Are you French or something?

I grew up without central AC. And while it was hot and it sucked in the summer, it really was rarely horrid. That said, I never would have bought a house without central AC. I generally set the thermostat at 80, but the removal of the humidity is the main thing. And it costs me a lot less than heating to 64 does in the winter...

(I live roughly 100 miles directly south of Chicago)

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

55. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 19:38 Sepharo

Well to be fair people need to use that cell phone to call their loved ones, it is snowing and they are driving, it may be their last words.  

54. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 19:19 Creston

DNForever wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 14:59:
I wish I had the balls to drive like you awesome eh-big-deal people.

Sorry you don't have those balls. Kindly stay off the fast lane then.

Nothing irritates me more than those SUV driving soccer mom cunts that will drive 20mph on the LEFT FUCKING LANE when there's 5 flakes of snow on the road, but they will of course STILL BE TALKING ON THEIR FUCKING CELLPHONES.

DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Creston

53. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 16:00 DNForever

Now's your chance, join the pants-shitters and save yourself!!

Be safe (in 5 months)

Sepharo wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 15:33:
Wow you must be so tough and cool under pressure!! I wish I had the balls to drive like you awesome eh-big-deal people. Keep telling yourself it's just snow, and we'll continue this after your first big accident.

Hey don't worry, I'll let Bluesnews know when it happens. Until then I'm not going to be driving 10mph with the hazards on just because of some snow on the road. Obviously safer and slower driving is called for with snow but if people's fears are causing them to drive that slowly maybe they shouldn't be on the road at all.

This is a great July discussion

52. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 15:33 Sepharo

Wow you must be so tough and cool under pressure!! I wish I had the balls to drive like you awesome eh-big-deal people. Keep telling yourself it's just snow, and we'll continue this after your first big accident.

Hey don't worry, I'll let Bluesnews know when it happens. Until then I'm not going to be driving 10mph with the hazards on just because of some snow on the road. Obviously safer and slower driving is called for with snow but if people's fears are causing them to drive that slowly maybe they shouldn't be on the road at all.

This is a great July discussion

51. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 14:59 DNForever

50. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 14:21 Sepharo

In Detroit the three and four lane highways become two lanes in a big snow storm. One for the pants-shitters and the other for eh-big-deal-its-just-snow people. If a pants-shitter gets in the fast lane you are legally allowed (oblgated) to push them off the road into a snow bank. I think that's how it goes.  

49. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 14:11 DNForever

I actually was in Minnesota late last year for that snowstorm, specifically the 2nd one that rolled through a couple days later after the one that took out the roof of that dome. I drove from Minneapolis to Duluth and saw the same stuff I see when it snows here - people sliding around, sliding into the ditch, not using basic snow driving skills like pumping the brakes or slowing_thefuck_down.

A lot of the east coast snow overreaction has to do with infrastructure or lack of, to deal with it. I've been in NYC for a snowstorm and it seems like a way bigger deal, simply because of the general commotion already happening in that city. D.C. is probably the worst - they don't get enough snow to warrant buying a ton of plows and salt, so when it does snow it's like a disaster there.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 11:55 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 09:46:
DNForever wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 08:28:
No offense, but what is with people from Minnesota thinking their weather is so unique? It was 94 here the past few days with a heat index of 105. If you beat that, it wasn't by much.

It's because they're Vikings fans. And the Vikes suck so they have to think they're special somehow.

ZING!

Creston

47. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 11:54 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 09:25:

Funny, I always say the same thing about the people in NY....
The East Coast gets a snow storm and they act like big babies and it makes National News. Ridiculous.

It was 97F with 94% humidity and a Heat Index of 115.
The over under for the Twins game a couple days ago was 117.

Yeah, sorry buddy, but we've been having that heat index for the past five WEEKS. And the next 10 day forecast is exactly the same. So is the forecast for August (worthless as that is.)

I feel your pain, but it doesn't really make you unique.

(Besides, I'm sure people in Houston and San Antonio right now are going "Just 115? SHUT THE FUCK UP!")

Creston

46. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 11:14 crypto

"Holy shit. If it ain't C-3Penis Face and R2-Dickhead."  

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 09:46 Cutter

No offense, but what is with people from Minnesota thinking their weather is so unique? It was 94 here the past few days with a heat index of 105. If you beat that, it wasn't by much.

It's because they're Vikings fans. And the Vikes suck so they have to think they're special somehow.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 09:25 xXBatmanXx

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 07:02:
Minnesota has been the most miserable out of the whole world (not joking) the last 2 weeks. We have had humidity and dew points heat index, etc higher than anywhere else. It literally felt like you were walking around in water up to your neck.

My Central Air AC went out last month, and i just got it fixed. I also have 2 window units to keep up with the heat to cut the humidity out of the air. It is insane - so I actually know what Blue's house feels like....as mine was just like that WITHOUT THE WINDOW UNIT!

Funny, I always say the same thing about the people in NY....
The East Coast gets a snow storm and they act like big babies and it makes National News. Ridiculous.

It was 97F with 94% humidity and a Heat Index of 115.
The over under for the Twins game a couple days ago was 117.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 08:28 DNForever

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 07:02:
Minnesota has been the most miserable out of the whole world (not joking) the last 2 weeks. We have had humidity and dew points heat index, etc higher than anywhere else. It literally felt like you were walking around in water up to your neck.

My Central Air AC went out last month, and i just got it fixed. I also have 2 window units to keep up with the heat to cut the humidity out of the air. It is insane - so I actually know what Blue's house feels like....as mine was just like that WITHOUT THE WINDOW UNIT!

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo