Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders

Preorders are now being accepted for Star Wars: The Old Republic on the official website for BioWare's upcoming MMORPG, though these are currently restricted to customers in the North American and European territories. They offer three different editions, the Standard, Digital Deluxe (only through Origin), and a Collector's Editions. Preordering any of the three entitles the purchaser to a virtual Color Stone as well as early access to the game, though it looks like the $150.00 USD Collector's Edition is already sold out.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

67. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 27, 2011, 05:33 Asmo

Dev wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 14:12:
Waaait wut?
EA is going to spend millions upon millions (100 to 300+ million from what I've read) to develop and market the game and cheap out on a few thousand bucks for servers?

EA: you know that dell has a 30 day return policy if you are THAT worried, right? Pretty sure you could also just repurpose them for something else in your company, or just sell them on ebay.

That was my speculation. The only reasons I can see that you wouldn't do a simultaneous world wide launch is because you weren't sure your infrastructure was up to it. From registration/patching systems to bandwidth and available slots on servers.

All of which you can provision based on estimates and pay to have more servers etc available to you should you require it, eg. sort of an insurance policy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 24, 2011, 12:02 Dev

EA: you know that dell has a 30 day return policy if you are THAT worried, right? Pretty sure you could also just repurpose them for something else in your company, or just sell them on ebay.

Illumin wrote on Jul 24, 2011, 00:32:
Dell sucks dude
It was an example. And I've been happy with dell servers I've had personal experience with.
Regardless of who EA orders from, there's likely some sorta money back return policy.

My point doesn't change if the company name changes.

65. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 24, 2011, 00:32 Illumin

Dell sucks dude

64. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 23, 2011, 16:59 Ant

Need a beta, playable demo, or something first!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

63. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 18:28 Creston

Ray Marden wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 15:52:
She obviously tricked me into marrying her! And it was back in January of this year!
Obviously she's a gamer - somewhat - if she can deal with me.
Thanks, though ,
Ray

Congrats Ray.

And here you didn't tell us! Forsooth, Ray! SHAME!

Creston

62. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 15:52 Ray Marden

She obviously tricked me into marrying her! And it was back in January of this year!
Obviously she's a gamer - somewhat - if she can deal with me.
Thanks, though ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

61. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 14:27 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 13:37:
Creston wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 13:27:
Btw, if you click a button in Origin, does something Awesome Happen(tm)?

Creston

Your credit card get charged. Which they think is pretty awesome.

It can't work that smoothly. There HAS to be something going wrong... I mean, this is EA. They probably double-charge you or something.

I do like the ADD FACEBOOK FREINDZ NOAW! button. Because, after all, who DOESN'T want facebook integrated with absolutely fucking EVERYTHING?

Creston

60. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 14:24 Krovven

Ray Marden wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 13:01:
My wife

Congrats Ray! Last time I recall you referring to "the girlfriend".

59. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 14:12 Dev

Creston

Yeah have you tried origins yet? There's this annoying bright blue box that says ADDZOR FRINDS FROMZ FACEBOOKZ NAOW! in upper right corner with an X button on it as if to close it. You click it and it goes away to reveal... a smaller grey box with the same ADD FRIENDZ button. I suppose you can could that as something "Awesome Happen"

One of the many things about it I found annoying in my 1 minute of running it. It was even painful to download and install and even run (my experience with that is in another post). They even make it painful to exit

Asmo wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 19:16:
EA appears to be hedging their bets on server infrastructure. Instead of provisioning for millions of world wide users they're going to guage reaction in US/certain parts of Europe and see how much they want to tack on post release. I wonder how Bioware are appreciating EA making them look like a pack of assholes...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383625
Waaait wut?
EA is going to spend millions upon millions (100 to 300+ million from what I've read) to develop and market the game and cheap out on a few thousand bucks for servers?

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2011, 14:22.

58. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 13:37 nin

Creston

Your credit card get charged. Which they think is pretty awesome.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

57. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 13:27 Creston

Creston

56. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 13:25 Creston

Verno wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 13:09:
Oh a lot makes sense now, Origin is just a frontend for a DigitalRiver store backend. They didn't even bother to do it properly in-house, they outsourced to digitalriver who have been hosting terrible web stores for years.

Holy shit, seriously? I can't wait for SV to show up and tell us how Origin is just like Steam!

Edit : Thanks for that story, Ray. That's just absolutely unbelievable. EA can literally get NOTHING right. They are the most incompetent asshats in an entire industry of incompetent asshats.

Creston

55. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 13:09 Verno

Yeah that's a great point Ray. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence when they are using a queuing system for a digital product...and can't even manage to get that right. Enjoy the launch preorder customers, I bet it'll be smooth!

Oh a lot makes sense now, Origin is just a frontend for a DigitalRiver store backend. They didn't even bother to do it properly in-house, they outsourced to digitalriver who have been hosting terrible web stores for years.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

54. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 13:01 Ray Marden

It gets better from there.

My wife showed interest in this so she went to pre-order the digital deluxe edition. As of 7PM EST, her digital preorder was being denied within minutes or her placing her preorder.

She got so irritated that she contacted customer service - who is obviously a paid lackey in India - and she was told that they were out of stock of the digital preorder, but that she should keep on trying every few hours.

Because a preorder of a game that is five-plus months away can't be accepted today?

With every new attempt being told that she is likely to get a copy?

To immediately be told that her order was arbitrarily canceled?

When this is a digital version of a game?

On the website that keeps track of stock and still shows this version as being in stock?

It's clear the jerks at BioWare don't care much about the market, especially note the end user. And what is the most valid excuse? A server glitch or capacity issue? If you cannot even handle a one time transaction, I have no faith in either company being able to maintain a MMORPG...
And has anything been done so far? Nope!
Sick of Muzyka's lies,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

53. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 11:23 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 10:38:
- Marketing campaigns focused on 12 year old mouthbreathers.

Pardon me, fine sir, is this excrement recent?

Hahahaha.

Creston

52. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 11:12 nin

According to one of Bioware's community guys on Twitter, the only factor in how you get into the early access is when you registered your pre-order code.

According to K, they also said, in yesterdays CC chat:
"We are going to do a limited launch," they say. The sooner you get in, the sooner you'll be able to play the game.

51. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 11:03 Jonny

Tumbler wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 22:16:
Early game access is extended to all everyone who pre-orders Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. If you have pre-ordered the Collector’s Edition, game access will begin seven days before the game’s release. If you have pre-ordered either the Base Edition or Digital Deluxe Edition, game access will begin three days before release.

I would not be surprised if they extended this 7 day period to the digital deluxe edition as well to encourage more sales on origin. 3 days hunh...will have to do I guess.

According to one of Bioware's community guys on Twitter, the only factor in how you get into the early access is when you registered your pre-order code. There's no 7-day for CE, 3-day for everyone else.

zboardfatal asked: Rumors are that CE get 6 days early access & Digital Deluxe/Standard get 3 days. Confirm/deny?
rockjaw responded: Deny. Based on when you redeem

And:
JakeHargus asked: does the CE really get a bigger head start than other versions or is it simply when you register? There's still some debate on this
rockjaw responded: Just when you register

For two big companies, that have decades of experience in releasing games, Bioware and EA always seem to fuck up basic things like getting information out to customers and making sure everyone has equal access.

50. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 10:38 nin

Pardon me, fine sir, is this excrement recent?

49. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 10:38 Creston

Asmo wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 08:08:
It's honestly the only reason I can think of they wouldn't go live globally. You'd have to imagine that they have infrastructure on order in case demand goes apeshit even on the limited US/Euro customer space let alone world wide.

And if they are hedging their bets, what caused them to be so skittish about it? First big ticket sci fi MMO in quite some time and the first significant SW title in a very long time to boot. The TOR forums are overflowing with the faithful singing their praises and I'm sure EA have seen the game. Unless they are worried that it's going to pull a WAR/AoC, ie. tank not long after go live requiring some serious server rationalisation, I can't see any reason not to pout infrastructure in to this based on pre-order numbers...

I have absolute faith in EA that, even if this game was somehow the Ultimate MMO that EVERYONE would play, they would fuck it up because they could save $50K on hardware. That'd be right up EA's alley.

Creston

48. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 22, 2011, 10:35 Creston

briktal wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 09:02:
How much do you think Bioware was actually changed by EA? I mean, their post-EA stuff isn't really that different from KOTOR/Jade Empire.

Conceptually their games haven't changed much, no. Now let's look at everything on the periphery.

- Absolute assloads of DLC.
- Always-on DRM that refuses to let you load a DLC that you bought 18 fucking months ago because EA's shitty ass fucking server dies.
- Facebook integration horseshit.
- "streamlining."
- 1 year development time for major titles.

Now check off for me how much of these things Bioware did BEFORE they got bought by EA?

I rest my case. (Sorry Crushbug)

Creston

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo