Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's supposed to be incredibly hot here today and tomorrow, as the heat wave that's gripped part of the U.S. this week makes its way east. Not that it's been cool or anything, but they say the temps will hit the high 90s, and the heat index will be in the 120s(!). Is it too early for a cold beer?

Hot Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Infinite Monkeys Bending Reality.
Biogems.
Science: 1 In 66 Americans Is A Psycho.
Passive smoking 'doubles hearing loss risk among teens'.
Tall people 'more likely to develop cancer'.
NASA - The Voyage Home. Thanks Jim.
Follow-up: NASA's Hubble Discovers Another Moon Around Pluto. Thanks Jim.
NASA to Announce Landing Site for New Mars Rover. Thanks Jim.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2011, 09:55 Verno

It's safest just to eat a balanced diet of food you cook yourself, take moderate exercise and ignore any attempts to fill you full of pills unless you're likely to drop dead without them.

Yeah, medicine and food are a lot alike in that there will be a study and everyone hops on the bandwagon immediately afterward, sometimes they take years to correct misunderstood information gleaned from studies. It reminds me of the flip flopping with foods that occurred in the past, eggs being the notorious example. Eggs are great! No wait they're bad, too much cholesterol! Wait they're ok after all! No wait they're amazing with Omega 3 fatty acids, eat tons of them!

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2011, 08:33 Mr. Tact

Hellbinder wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 12:33:
since when did we all start talking about "heat index"? Watching the brain washing of society is really an amazing thing. how subtle it is yet so effective.
Brain washing? Uh, yeah... the heat index has been part of the weather lexicon since the 1970s at least. I remember it from my childhood. It isn't anything new.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2011, 08:20 kanniballl

Sepharo wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 18:53:
Heat index and wind chill are government scams meant to make you miserable!

Eh, I don't know how accurate they are but they have a point / use.

When I visit some place like Las Vegas or part of California where the temp is high as frell, the fact that it's a dry heat does a lot. It's not even that bad in those places / temps and just sitting in a slight shade does wonders.

Meanwhile where I live, when the humidity starts getting insanely high then that heat lingers... and it simply feels more miserable out. I'll take 100F in Las Vegas over 90F w/ high humidity in NJ any day.

So it serves as a reminder for people that don't check the humidity or whatever... that it's going to feel hotter than they might think.

That being said, today (Friday) it was already 87F on my way to work @ 7:30AM. Today is going to suck.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2011, 08:33.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2011, 02:04 Mead

Passive smoking 'doubles hearing loss risk among teens'

Lulz, yeah, it has nothing to do with all those car stereos that teens buy, or their tendency to listen to headphones at excessive volumes. No, it must be the eeeeevil demon leaf.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 20:38 banddirector

While the nation swelters, it's unseasonably cool in Wa. state. We've had two consecutive cold winters that lasted into spring and now into summer. 15 degrees below average. I miss some HOT!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 19:18 Jonny

It's not just the US, and it's not just drugs for mental problems. A month or so ago my 74 year old ma went to the doctors for a check up and he tried to prescribe her statins. According to him the BMA is looking to get every person in the UK over 50 to take statins permanently, on the idea that they'll prevent future heart disease by pre-emptively lowering cholesterol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statin

She said no, and I don't blame her. Anyone else remember the advice on aspirin? A few years ago it was accepted that taking an aspirin a day lowered your chances of heart attacks. Everyone should take an aspirin a day.

Now they've found that if you've not got a pre-existing condition taking an aspirin a day not only doesn't have any beneficial affect whatsoever, it actually increases your risk of stomach ulcers, internal bleeding and, if you then stop taking it, heart attacks.

It's safest just to eat a balanced diet of food you cook yourself, take moderate exercise and ignore any attempts to fill you full of pills unless you're likely to drop dead without them.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 18:53 Sepharo

Heat index and wind chill are government scams meant to make you miserable!

See those big turbines popping up across the country? Those produce these government weather effects... IT'S ALL ABOUT CONTROL.

edit: I swear I wasn't searching for this, just happened to run along a FB post laughing about it... But I found Hellbinder's talking points.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2011, 19:08.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 17:29 |RaptoR|

since when did we all start talking about "heat index"? Watching the brain washiung of society is really an amazing thing. how subtle it is yet so effective.

no its not 90 degrees anymore is really a "heat index" of 115 because of global warming etc.. all the tempuratures being reported sound all wacked out.. 120 in DC 116 in New York etc.. until you realize that its all brain washing propaganda that everyone is buying in to hook line and sinker. the actual tempuratures are completely average but they change the terminology and have everyone freaking out over nothing.

its NORMAL SUMMER TEMPURATURES in the 90's thats it. Arizona is in the 100's like it is every single year. here in idaho we have had a handful of days in the low 90's and people are acting like its the hotest time in history! these are the normal tempuratures as they have been for as liong as weather has been tracked. yet people have become so dumbed down they cant even remember last year, or their childhood.

i wonder if its that subliminal programing over UHF frequencies "they" have been working on for a few decades....

really makes you wonder.

I think we found one of our 193!

On another note, it's 68 degrees outside right now, and it's projected to be 73 tomorrow. Not sure how I'm going to deal with this sweltering Seattle summer!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 15:27 Mashiki Amiketo

Killer Kane wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 12:59:
Isn't the Heat Index sort of like the "Wind Chill Factor"?...not the actual temperature, but much more attention grabbing (for ratings)
Must be. In Canada we use humidex and wind chill. In my neck of the woods we hit 126F with the humidex, with the temprature being 100F. This is of course contrary to what environment canada states. But I figure I'm competent enough to do it on my own. When they're using readings from 38mi away for my city.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

27. We on Pluto! Jul 21, 2011, 14:25 space captain

q: harry, how can you tell?

a: from the bark you dummies!!

Go forth, and kill!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 14:04 nin

Fuckity fuck fuck fuck! It's hellbinder!

Time for a Valium Dude.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 13:58 Creston

For those of you who love Game of Thrones:

www.gameoflols.com

My URL code fails me today. KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Creston

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 13:57 mag

since when did we all start talking about "heat index"?

We've been talking about heat indexes since the late 70s.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 13:37 Fion

I live in upstate NY and it's 104 degrees right now. Thankfully I can keep a lot of that heat out of my place. I am feeling for anyone without an AC right now.

It's days like this I'm thankful I have the option to work from home lol.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 13:19 Beamer

Heat index involves humidity. Humidity affects your bodies ability to cool itself, so a 120 on the heat index means that, while it may only be in the high 90s, it's the equivalent of 120 in a dry climate.

NYC has always been humid, so it's kind of moot.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 12:59 Killer Kane

Isn't the Heat Index sort of like the "Wind Chill Factor"?...not the actual temperature, but much more attention grabbing (for ratings)  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 12:47 Beamer

i wonder if its that subliminal programing over UHF frequencies "they" have been working on for a few decades....

This is the line that takes it from merely trolling and into brilliance.

Especially on a board LittleMe posts on.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 12:33 Hellbinder

since when did we all start talking about "heat index"? Watching the brain washiung of society is really an amazing thing. how subtle it is yet so effective.

no its not 90 degrees anymore is really a "heat index" of 115 because of global warming etc.. all the tempuratures being reported sound all wacked out.. 120 in DC 116 in New York etc.. until you realize that its all brain washing propaganda that everyone is buying in to hook line and sinker. the actual tempuratures are completely average but they change the terminology and have everyone freaking out over nothing.

its NORMAL SUMMER TEMPURATURES in the 90's thats it. Arizona is in the 100's like it is every single year. here in idaho we have had a handful of days in the low 90's and people are acting like its the hotest time in history! these are the normal tempuratures as they have been for as liong as weather has been tracked. yet people have become so dumbed down they cant even remember last year, or their childhood.

really makes you wonder.

The Whales name is Bob.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 12:28 Neutronbeam

It's NEVER too early for beer! I recommend beer and Cheerios in the morning -- the real breakfast of champions!  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 12:26 Ratty

And yet, this is the second summer in a row where it's been uncommonly cool here in the Bay Area. Haven't had but one or two scorching days back in April and May. I love it (also being a prefer-cold-weather type) but my tomatoes hate it. So much for global warming, eh?  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo