Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Prototype 2 in April 2012

Activision announces a release date for Prototype 2, saying the open World action sequel is expected in stores on April 24, 2012. They celebrate the news with a new trailer offering the first in a three-part series of cinematic clips from the game. "We know our fans have been clamoring to find out when they would be able to get their hands-on PROTOTYPE 2, and the whole studio is excited that we can finally reveal the timing," said Ken Rosman, Studio Head, Radical Entertainment. "We're also thrilled to be at the point where we can show the game directly to our fans. It's always rewarding to see those first time reactions to what we've been working on for the past couple years, and we can't wait for them to see some of Sgt. James Heller's amazing new shape-shifting abilities at San Diego Comic-Con."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 22, 2011, 01:22 Jerykk

A LOT of background and additional info is found in unlocking the Web of Intrigue entries. For some people, that may be a pain, but I found myself keeping my eyes open for those tell-tale icons over civilian heads so that I could grab yet another piece of the puzzle.

I like the idea behind the web of intrigue (non-linear storytelling) but the execution was pretty half-assed. The game just chose random NPCs as targets. I'd rather have fewer targets with unique and involved side-missions required to reach them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 21, 2011, 15:09 Slashman

What I realized about the story in Prototype is that less than half of it is told by doing missions in the game.

A LOT of background and additional info is found in unlocking the Web of Intrigue entries. For some people, that may be a pain, but I found myself keeping my eyes open for those tell-tale icons over civilian heads so that I could grab yet another piece of the puzzle.

In terms of combat, Prototype rewarded you for either going all out, or being sneaky. But I found that if you kept in mind that you always had the option of disappearing into the background and regrouping, that you could do some amazingly crazy things.

For instance, those stationary virus detectors. I found that I could use the whip-fist to attack and destroy them from far enough that the alerted military didn't see where I was. it effectively let me remove the security from around a base before casually walking in with my officer disguise.

The special moves are also a big equalizer. You can clear a whole city block with one or two of them.

18. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 21, 2011, 10:05 Verno

No. I mean, I thought Prototype's story was bad, and it was, but Infamous is just as bad if not worse. It's the worst handling of exposition I have ever seen. The comic book style clips are just absolutely terrible storytelling technique. I think it's obvious they ran out of money for voice actors other than the main guy for those. Also, they were done after the main game was completed and they went backwards to patch in the story.

Subjective I guess, I thought it suited the style of superhero game they were shooting for.

Also, you mean tactical, not strategic, and while there's some of that in using cover in Infamous, there was plenty of tactical decisions to make in Prototype, as evidenced by people who thought it got too hard.

I thought Infamous made better use of the range of powers. In Prototype the gameplay was more frenetic and about fast responses and dodging to me. I put little thought into the gameplay and did fine by basically hopping around like a jackrabbit and spamming blade most of the time. You aren't as "empowered" in Infamous, you're a dude who just happens to shoot electricity so you're forced to play the game with more focus and thought otherwise you'll be replaying segments a lot (assuming you're not playing on a low difficulty).

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

17. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 21, 2011, 09:36 Zyrxil

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 22:43:
Prototype had some really insane action, but it got frustrating constantly being hit by bullets and tank shells and monster attacks coming from 20 different directions at once.

Never had that problem at all. Yeah, it was frenetic, but that was the fun of it. You really had to know your powers, and do tank stealing, debris lobbing, heli-chain-hopping. It got more difficult as the game went, but that's a good thing. Too many games have negative learning curves, starting out hard and ending up absurdly easy. Infamous, for example.

Verno wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 08:48:
Infamous is a much slower paced action game that focuses more on strategic use of powers and cover. In fact many of the powers are simple animation replacements for run of the mill FPS abilities. [b]The story is somewhat interesting[/b] and told through a series of in-game cutscenes and comic book style clips.

No. I mean, I thought Prototype's story was bad, and it was, but Infamous is just as bad if not worse. It's the worst handling of exposition I have ever seen. The comic book style clips are just absolutely terrible storytelling technique. I think it's obvious they ran out of money for voice actors other than the main guy for those. Also, they were done after the main game was completed and they went backwards to patch in the story.

Also, you mean tactical, not strategic, and while there's some of that in using cover in Infamous, there was plenty of tactical decisions to make in Prototype, as evidenced by people who thought it got too hard.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2011, 09:44.

16. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 21, 2011, 08:48 Verno

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 22:07:
Lol no, Infamous is superior to Prototype in everywhere.

Apples to oranges. They only seem similar if you haven't really played them both and just compare them on the surface based on video footage or something. Did you even play both of these games?

Infamous is a much slower paced action game that focuses more on strategic use of powers and cover. In fact many of the powers are simple animation replacements for run of the mill FPS abilities. The story is somewhat interesting and told through a series of in-game cutscenes and comic book style clips.

Prototype is a very fast paced open world beat em up with rapid traversal features. The gameplay is practically breakneck speed and requires little strategic input. You are literally a shapeshifting human hybrid who is more of a antihero and the story isn't very well told.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

15. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 21, 2011, 08:24 Mysdrial

What I seem to recall was that there was one attacke that was ranged-ish that you could use (the one where a bunch of long thin tentacles came out of you). Using THAT attack...the game was pretty easy. Using the other attacks, it became hard pretty fast. Even the final boss was only mildly frustrating using the ranged attack. So there were some serious balance issues with that power, but fun overall.

I still preferred inFamous, though.

14. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 21, 2011, 05:05 CeeJay

I had problems taking down the last boss in close quarters, so I changed tactics and attacked him from a distance by throwing heavy and/or explosive stuff at him. There are lots of missiles around that can be thrown. When I wasn't throwing stuff, I was shooting him with weapons. He was a lot easier to take down like that.  
I'm the developer of SweetFX

13. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 21, 2011, 04:48 CeeJay

Infamous only came out on PS3 so if you didn't own a PS3 Prototype was greatly superior.

I'm the developer of SweetFX

12. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 21, 2011, 00:03 Jerykk

Infamous is much more of a shooter than Prototype. Just replace bullets with electricity. Your character in Prototype was also much more powerful and mobile.  

11. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 20, 2011, 23:40 Rattlehead

Maybe if you're a troll or a moron. They are totally different games, the only thing they really share is quasi open world trappings.

Yea, 2 games with protagonists with super powers, in an urban city, open world free roaming gameplay. Yep, totally different games...try harder next time.

10. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 20, 2011, 23:33 PHJF

Except Infamous is fucking boring as shit and Prototype isn't.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 20, 2011, 22:51 nin

Never play the original yet. Would have picked it up at the steam summer sale if Activision hadn't priced it at $15.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 20, 2011, 22:48 Bumpy

Wow, I thought this was due at Xmas time. Drat.

I too feel Prototype was the superior and fun of the 2. Many more ways to do things due to the vast array of abilities and weapons. More side activities available too.

Infamous, however, had better story telling and was more realistic or serious in nature.

7. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 20, 2011, 22:43 Dades

Maybe if you're a troll or a moron. They are totally different games, the only thing they really share is quasi open world trappings.

Prototype had some really insane action, but it got frustrating constantly being hit by bullets and tank shells and monster attacks coming from 20 different directions at once.

Yep, getting juggled really sucked. It was not the type of game to play unless you are someone with very fast reflexes and a low frustration level. It could be really fun if you can get past the often poorly balanced combat. It had a very fluid movement and flight system which was great too.

6. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 20, 2011, 22:43 Elf Shot The Food

5. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 20, 2011, 22:31 Slashman

Lol no, they are two very different games.

Prototype was only cheap if you chose to not use alternate methods of completing objectives. It rewarded switching between your abilities and using both your powers AND conventional weapons to win.

They were 2 missions in Prototype that I'd consider broken...the first one is the mission where you have to defend the gas pumping thing. Since there is no way to repair it, once it starts to take heavy damage, you'll pretty much fail the mission at least once.

The second is the last battle. It requires extremely precise play and a bit of luck on top of that to take the final boss down before the very unfair timer runs out.

I can't see how one could judge an entire game as bad based off of that. I enjoyed pretty much all the other missions in the game and also unlocking a lot of the hidden abilities and power-ups you can get if you generate extra EPs.

It wasn't a perfect game and could have used some patching, but I wouldn't call it cheap or frustrating overall.

4. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 20, 2011, 22:07 Rattlehead

3. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 20, 2011, 21:07 PHJF

It was a hell of a lot more fun than infamous, anyways.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 20, 2011, 21:05 Rattlehead

Prototype started out really fun but gets gradually more frustrating as you progress. One of those games that believes that being cheap = challenging. Alot of really bad design decisions left a bad taste in my mouth when I beat Prototype 1.  

1. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 20, 2011, 21:01 StingingVelvet

I might... MIGHT... finally play the first one by then.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo