Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 21, 2011, 22:17 mag

Beamer wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 13:18:
Of course it's true. It's an inevitibility. Ever since Google started doing evil in spite of their company motto. I realized this when they crawled into bed with China on profit over censorship. It probably started before that too. However, like all these monolithic monopolies, the tend to fall slowly.

Your points have nothing to do with whether they have middle managers that aren't also responsible for creative output as well as whether they have higher execs that have never been responsible for creative outputs. Whether they've reached the same position without that isn't what I objected to.

Also, I question what you wanted them to do in China. Just disappear from the market? Ultimately if the government of a country tells you that you have to do something you either pull out or comply. You can't tell the government to go fuck itself. I'd argue that the Chinese are better off with a censored version of Google then without Google at all.

I was actually kinda curious, so I went looking. It looks like a lot of the executives and board members are professional marketers, tech company destroyers, and venture capitalists. Lots of non-useful people.

http://www.google.com/about/corporate/company/execs.html

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 21, 2011, 18:40 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 10:16:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 08:26:
Yeah, you quoted exactly what I wrote... Somehow you interpreted that as me saying it's stopping, don't know how to help you with your reading comprehension.

Maybe by explaining your meaning instead of snapping at him? I'm not sure how he took it but I can only assume you meant "losing its programming" is somehow akin the situation that has arisen with EA but I think Steam still has plenty of support even without it.

The guy herp-derp'd me, I don't really feel like explaining it to him. If he thinks I wrote, "Steam is going to stop" then I don't know how to help him.

Anyways, now the clarification is needed

Like Steam, Hulu got there early, worked hard at pleasing the users, secured tons of content, but will now lose lots of AAA content as the big boys pull out to start their own services and take their material with them. Oh and those new services are just about guaranteed to be worse for the users (if not always, at least for a few years).

Yes both will still have independent content and possibly some AAA content but the bulk of it will go off into individual services.

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 21, 2011, 13:18 Beamer

Of course it's true. It's an inevitibility. Ever since Google started doing evil in spite of their company motto. I realized this when they crawled into bed with China on profit over censorship. It probably started before that too. However, like all these monolithic monopolies, the tend to fall slowly.

Your points have nothing to do with whether they have middle managers that aren't also responsible for creative output as well as whether they have higher execs that have never been responsible for creative outputs. Whether they've reached the same position without that isn't what I objected to.

Also, I question what you wanted them to do in China. Just disappear from the market? Ultimately if the government of a country tells you that you have to do something you either pull out or comply. You can't tell the government to go fuck itself. I'd argue that the Chinese are better off with a censored version of Google then without Google at all.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 21, 2011, 13:00 Verno

I don't know, if games like Bad Rats can get onto Steam then I'm not sure those restrictions are anything but arbitrary limits to prevent it from becoming XBLA.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 21, 2011, 11:09 RenownWolf

Esoteric wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 05:16:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 22:11:
I guess it is Hulu's destiny to lose its programming.

It's really the same story as Steam.

Herp a derp? Steam has posted incredibly growths every year, and it shows no sign of stopping. If you're talking about the recent EA fiasco, I think Steam will more than make up for that in other games (especially indie).

Why does everybody say indie, Valve are very restrictive of who gets onto their platform, most indies can't enter because of reasons valve does not share.

Yes they let some already popular games in, or even games they enjoy, but it's hardly "YAY Indies will save the day" when nobody can even tell them why they won't let Tower Defense A in, yet Tower Defense B is a-ok! (I hate tower defense, just an example).

http://www.renownwolf.com

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 21, 2011, 11:06 Cutter

Beamer wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 00:02:
Now there are middle managers that haven't been in a creative position in a decade. Some higher execs probably never have been in creative positions.

I'm not so certain that's true.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 21, 2011, 10:16 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 08:26:
Yeah, you quoted exactly what I wrote... Somehow you interpreted that as me saying it's stopping, don't know how to help you with your reading comprehension.

Maybe by explaining your meaning instead of snapping at him? I'm not sure how he took it but I can only assume you meant "losing its programming" is somehow akin the situation that has arisen with EA but I think Steam still has plenty of support even without it.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 21, 2011, 08:26 Sepharo

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 21, 2011, 05:16 Esoteric

Sepharo wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 22:11:

Herp a derp? Steam has posted incredibly growths every year, and it shows no sign of stopping. If you're talking about the recent EA fiasco, I think Steam will more than make up for that in other games (especially indie).

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 21, 2011, 04:20 mag

Beamer wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 00:02:
Now there are middle managers that haven't been in a creative position in a decade. Some higher execs probably never have been in creative positions.

I'm just making things up, but if it's not true now it will be eventually. And that will be the eeeeend.

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 21, 2011, 00:02 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 20, 2011, 22:50 mag

Sepharo wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 22:04:
Shutting down Google Labs? What the fuck?
We're at the turning point in Google. Now there are middle managers that haven't been in a creative position in a decade. Some higher execs probably never have been in creative positions. Profit is becoming a motivator.

Thus ends the decade of Google being the Golden Child, so begins the decade of Google being the slow, lumbering monopoly.

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 20, 2011, 22:11 Sepharo

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 20, 2011, 22:04 Sepharo

Shutting down Google Labs? What the fuck?

There's lots of neat stuff in there, no need to streamline it away. Users who would be confused by it don't know about it, and the users who do know about it are going to be upset they're getting rid of it.

However, the closure of Google Labs is bound to raise eyebrows in the industry, considering that Google has always touted its policy to encourage innovation among employees and to release new products early and refine them iteratively in the public eye.

Also, over the years Google Labs, described by Google as a "playground" for its most "adventurous users," served as the incubator for what later became widely used Google products, like Google Reader, Google Groups and Google Maps.

Exactly...

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo