Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar

Zeboyd Games announces that their recent release of Cthulhu Saves the World (and Breath of Death VII: The Beginning) via digital distribution for Windows has raked in more income through Steam than it had in over 18 months on Xbox LIVE: "We are pleased to announce that Zeboyd Games has already made more revenue in less than a week on Steam than we have in over a year and a half on the XBox Live Indie Games service. Thank you again to everyone who has made this huge success possible!" Thanks Joao and Nick via Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 22, 2011, 05:05 Jerykk

What I really don't understand is why he doesn't just pirate all his games. If his primary concern is saving money and he doesn't care about rewarding developers for their work, piracy is the most logical solution.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 21, 2011, 10:14 Prez

Verno wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 08:38:

It is possible to fairly compensate game creators for their work without ripping them off and bragging about it like a pompous douche on an internet forum.

Seriously. It's the bragging about it that just boggles my mind. It reminds me a bit of my neighbor who is proud of himself (and lets everyone know it) because he stopped paying his mortgage and has been living in his house for free for 8 months.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 21, 2011, 08:38 Verno

Tumbler wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 17:02:
It's possible to try a lot of games without paying a lot of money

You realize the rest of us do that too, right? None of us are sitting here buying every single game released the day it comes out for $60 + all of the DLC. It is possible to fairly compensate game creators for their work without ripping them off and bragging about it like a pompous douche on an internet forum.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

39. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 20:41 Prez

Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ, some people are friggin' tightwads.

Anyway, glad to see things going so well for Zeboyd. Steam definitely is a boon for indies.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 18:27 Tumbler

Apparently they don't pay shit, when two dollars and ninety nine cents breaks the bank!

It would be nice to finally get my first check... I guess I'll just stare at the screenshots till I can afford it...probably should just browse amazon as that will be less painful...wonder how much a 24" monitor costs, $180 for a Viewsonic LED? Wow look how skinny that is, ok I'll take that! 2 Day shipped! Now I can stare at that $3 game on a bigger screen!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

37. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 18:12 nin

Creston wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 18:11:
nin wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 18:01:
Yes, and I'm not willing to spend a penny to try it...unlike some other games where I'm happy to pay $4 to try it.

Do you work at McDonalds or something? $2.99 is nothing in the adult world.

Tumbler works for Goozex, nin. Everyone knows that.

Creston

Apparently they don't pay shit, when two dollars and ninety nine cents breaks the bank!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

36. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 18:11 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 18:01:
Yes, and I'm not willing to spend a penny to try it...unlike some other games where I'm happy to pay $4 to try it.

Tumbler works for Goozex, nin. Everyone knows that.

Creston

35. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 18:01 nin

34. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 17:29 Beamer

If you're on Steam, you're on a computer with a web browser. I understand it's cool to want more features, but, seriously, how hard is it to search for more information on a particular title

Yes, I said that in my first post.
My comment was that Steam, taken on its own, isn't sufficient. Which you seem to agree with.
Thanks.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 17:27 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 14:00:
Steam does have similar searching and library visibility issues. There's so many games on Steam now it's almost impossible to browse it all coherently.

Not even that - at best a Steam page gives you a trailer, a few screenshots and a blurb. It's very hard, particularly with indie games, to get a valid feel from that alone.

If you're on Steam, you're on a computer with a web browser. I understand it's cool to want more features, but, seriously, how hard is it to search for more information on a particular title

32. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 17:24 Dades

Tumbler wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 17:02:
I wish this was possible on steam without spending $50 per unique game, $45 if you preorder.

It is possible, you don't buy the game on release day.

31. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 17:24 Tumbler

And the game we're talking here is $2.99.

Yes, and I'm not willing to spend a penny to try it...unlike some other games where I'm happy to pay $4 to try it. Plenty of games on steam were dirt cheap during the sale, I only picked up a few that I felt were worth trying at that price. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's going to be worth it for everyone.

30. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 17:11 Dev

nin wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 17:06:
I do end up paying approx $4 per game after shipping and such.

Actually TWO games for that price.

29. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 17:06 nin

I do end up paying approx $4 per game after shipping and such.

28. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 17:02 Tumbler

Yeah I'm not sure I'd be bragging about playing Portal 2 on three different platforms if it was me. I don't get how a list of games you played is supposed to impress anyone either. I've played X games for Y dollars too, whoa someone call the Times!

It's possible to try a lot of games without paying a lot of money...that was the general gist. I wish this was possible on steam without spending $50 per unique game, $45 if you preorder.

27. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 16:30 Dev

Verno wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 16:02:
I agree, but polishing steam and programming that stuff (and some other features mentioned in this thread) in isn't interesting to valve employees.

They just launched a major client revision with many improvements last year so this isn't true.
You talking Steam 2.0 or whatever they called it? I didn't think many of those changes were improvements. I made a number of posts at the time about things I didn't like. Such as the changes to the game list made it more annoying for me to use it. They totally screwed up the fonts with some weird default choices for directwrite, and I actually get LESS exposure to things I'm interested in purchasing and playing when they took the news off the front page, and recategorized everything so I can't get the news I want on a single view. Those are 3 of the biggest things, there's probably others I'm forgetting that are in my previous posts.

Regardless, adding search functionality to friends list by copying the code for searching games list should take them almost no time to implement and they haven't done it. They only JUST added ability to right click to copy a URL link in the main steam interface (such as when I want to send a link to a friend to tell him to check out a steam game), and you can't type a link in unless you are using the in-game browser interface (which may be a "feature" instead of a bug but it still annoys me).
There's a TON of similar features valve could do to polish up steam with only a small investment in time. They really just need some dedicated UI employees.

26. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 16:15 Pankin

Steam's online store is well organized. Even with dozens of "featured" games, they all seem to get the same amount of exposure but it wasn't that way at launch. Over the course of four years, the Steam store underwent many design changes to get where it is today.

So how long do you think it'll be before the Xbox Live storefront gets Steamed? Microsoft copies every other damn thing.

25. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 16:09 Verno

Yeah I'm not sure I'd be bragging about playing Portal 2 on three different platforms if it was me. I don't get how a list of games you played is supposed to impress anyone either. I've played X games for Y dollars too, whoa someone call the Times!  

24. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 16:05 Tumbler

There just isn't a good reason you're a cheap ass, yet here we are.

Since Paying $13.20 on amazon (w/credits) for Portal 2 PS3 I've played:

Portal 2 PS3
Portal 2 PC
Portal 2 360
Mortal Kombat PS3
Socom 4 PS3
Crysis 2 360 (edit, oops forgot this one)
Crysis 2 PS3
Brink 360
LA Noire 360
Red Dead Redemption PS3
Infamous 2 PS3
Transformers Dark of the Moon 360
Child of Eden 360
Mortal Kombat 360
Duke Nukem 360

I do end up paying approx $4 per game after shipping and such. The next game I'll be buying is Warhammer 40k Space Marine which will be costing me a bone shattering $31.99. But don't worry, I'll still be playing EVERYTHING that comes out this holiday season.

I might buy BF3 as well, strong chance of that happening...and I keep telling myself I won't buy SWTOR....but I said the same thing about Dawn of War 2 Retribution...bastards.

23. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 16:02 Verno

Nothing wrong with being cheap but when you demand a demo on a $2.50 game then you open yourself up to and deserve all of the ridicule that follows.

I agree, but polishing steam and programming that stuff (and some other features mentioned in this thread) in isn't interesting to valve employees.

They just launched a major client revision with many improvements last year so this isn't true.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo