Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The other day I mentioned the anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11, and on this day in 1969 the phrase "the eagle has landed" was immortalized as Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first men to reach the moon. One small step for man…

Lunar Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Catch the Candy.
Conjure.
Links: The Secret Race to the Moon.
Suspicious Vans. Thanks Neatorama.
6 Famous People Whose Identities We Still Don't Know.
Stories: Definition of service animal comes down to dogs. Thanks Neatorama.
Science: NASA Space Shuttle Atlantis Last Night In Space Orbit.
Tesco security considered as a Portal level.
Media: GTA IV Time Travel Mod. Thanks Wolfen.
Zombie Bullying PSA starring Zachary Levi.
Motorcycle Cop Has Boss like Riding Skills.
Auction: eBay Find of the Day: Mercury Cougar-turned-Veyron. Thanks Devicer.
The Funnies: Broke Comics - Throne Of Games. Thanks frag.machine.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2011, 01:02 Mr. Tact

It is depressing because I wanted to see it. Doesn't have anything to do with the progress of civilization.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2011, 11:20 Dades

Why is that depressing? I'm sure the dying generation who saw car prototypes saw the same thing. Our progress is our progress, we have to be happy with what we can accomplish.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2011, 08:38 Mr. Tact

Anytime I think about it, it depresses me that I will not live to see interstellar space travel. Will it ever happen? Not without a currently unforeseen break through. *sigh*  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 10:41 kanniballl

Capella wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 13:58:

What did Tyson say in that clip the other day, 5 or .5 cents on the dollar is what NASA cost tax payers? What we need is a new space race to spark interest again. Wonder what happens if another country starts planning a trip to Mars?

Lately it's been about ~0.6% of the federal budget, meaning 0.6-cents (or $0.006) of every dollar spent from the budget.

Since I believe we out-spend our income from taxes I'd say that's less that 0.5-cents for every dollar you spend on Federal taxes. So if you made $60,000 before taxes, then you probably contributed less than $130 to NASA.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

27. Re: What bugs me... Jul 21, 2011, 08:26 kanniballl

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 13:57:
What bugs me about the whole moon landing "hoax" nonsense is how stubborn the hoax-believers are.

You realize these guys are out to make money right? So naturally they are not in anyway interested in anything other then what supports thier "facts" which sell books, videos, whatever... now the folks who give these people money, well there just morons.

Except one hoax-believer I met was while I was in college. He was a student in a couple of my classes and he was a dyed-in-the-wool believer. He wasn't making money off and didn't have a website or anything. As mentioned, he was stubborn but not to the extreme points as some of the people you see on TV.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 17:23 Sir Graves

If it wasn't so dang SCORCHING out and there weren't so dang many mosquitos in the evening when it's muggy like this, I'd get my telescope out and look at the moon (or bark at it).  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 15:56 Jim

Technically, Apollo 8 was the first to reach the Moon. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were the first to reach the surface] of the Moon.

Today is also the 35th anniversary of the first landing on Mars by the Viking 1 lander.
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/missiondetails.cfm?mission=Viking

Jim

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 15:19 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 15:15:
Yeah, but you guys have it pretty dry comparitively. I love me a good dry heat, but the humidty sucks balls.

Yeah, that dryness cannot be found in Tulsa, OK. Last Saturday it was 104 with a humidity of 93%, and a heat index of 111.

So really, Cutter, quit yer whining about your 91!

Creston

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 15:18 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 13:30:
Creston wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 12:15:
Think they're having much lulz now?

Creston

Anonymous /= lulsec?

They're pretty much one and the same. Lulzsec split off, and then got "reintegrated" into anon.

Creston

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 15:17 nin

Yeah, but you guys have it pretty dry comparitively. I love me a good dry heat, but the humidty sucks balls.

I think you're thinking of Arizona.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 15:15 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 14:12 nin

It's 33/91.4 atm and you can tack on another 10 degrees with the humidex. Tomorrow though it's suppose to be 38/100.4, ouch.

Come down south. It's been 101-105 here for the past two weeks.

No end in sight, either.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 14:09 Cutter

Talk about Africa hot, man it's insane out there right now. It's 33/91.4 atm and you can tack on another 10 degrees with the humidex. Tomorrow though it's suppose to be 38/100.4, ouch. And again with the humidex it'll be another 10 degrees more brutal...been a while since I've felt 110 in the shade.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 14:09 space captain

its an issue of thinking which says "im right, you're wrong.. so you must be the opposite of what i am"  
Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 13:58 Capella

It's not just for Bob the Hippie, it's for you, your grandkids and their grandkids. It has nothing to do with mother gaia or greenpeace.

Fucking A! I have never understood nor will I ever understand why the environment is a Red or Blue issue. We all live on the same fucking planet!

The benefits of the space program are felt in everything from medicine to jet design to plant growth. It's pretty damned important and the cost on a per tax payer basis is pretty reasonable if you look at the overall returns we get instead of just the landmark moments.

What did Tyson say in that clip the other day, 5 or .5 cents on the dollar is what NASA cost tax payers? What we need is a new space race to spark interest again. Wonder what happens if another country starts planning a trip to Mars?

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

16. Re: What bugs me... Jul 20, 2011, 13:57 Yosemite Sam

What bugs me about the whole moon landing "hoax" nonsense is how stubborn the hoax-believers are.

You realize these guys are out to make money right? So naturally they are not in anyway interested in anything other then what supports thier "facts" which sell books, videos, whatever... now the folks who give these people money, well there just morons.

Rosewell, AFAIK, that whole "alien story" came about years after the fact, coincidentally it came out after the airforce annouced they were closing the base... pretty much the towns only source of employment... then "hey there were aliens here" and the money rolled in.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 13:42 Verno

They also arrested a LulzSec member in London or something.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 13:30 nin

Creston wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 12:15:
Think they're having much lulz now?

Creston

Anonymous /= lulsec?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 13:18 MajorD

Verno wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 13:10:
PHJF wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 12:28:
Once we get things taken care of on this planet, then lets move on to other regions.

Getting things taken care of? We're destroying the planet.

Not really. We're potentially destroying our ability to sustain ourselves on this planet but the planet itself will be just fine without us. As long as it doesn't get obliterated by a meteor or the sun decides to supernova, earth will go on just fine without the human species as it did for billions of years beforehand. That's what so frustrating about people with no vision who dismiss all environmental concerns as fringe interests. It's not just for Bob the Hippie, it's for you, your grandkids and their grandkids. It has nothing to do with mother gaia or greenpeace.

Yeah, well, try telling people who have to choose between rent and eating what value NASA brings to their lives. Once we get things taken care of on this planet, then lets move on to other regions.

The benefits of the space program are felt in everything from medicine to jet design to plant growth. It's pretty damned important and the cost on a per tax payer basis is pretty reasonable if you look at the overall returns we get instead of just the landmark moments.

Great points and well said Verno!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 13:13 MajorD

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 12:47:
.....so if we can't even get out shit straight on this planet it's going to be the same anywhere else we go.

Wow, I couldn't agree with you more there man. Human nature at its best, and unfortunately it will never change.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo