Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had a blackout here in the BlueTower last night, which shouldn't have been too much of a surprise, since we were in the midst of one of the bigger electrical storms so far this summer. Luckily, it only lasted an hour or so... the overhead power lines around here can be vulnerable to lightning strikes and falling tree limbs, but at least they're easily accessed for repairs.

Accessible Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Mega Miner.
Unfortunate Accidents.
Links: A Geek's Journal: 1976. Thanks Boing Boing.
The 16 Most Hilariously Dishonest Old School Advertisements.
Robot band covers Marilyn Manson, renders sullen teenagers obsolete.
Science: Scientists find 'better way' to grow adult stem cells.
New fuel discovered that reversibly stores solar energy.
NASA - Latest Image of Vesta Captured by Dawn on July 17, 2011.
Media: X-MEN BORN THIS WAY (Lady Gaga Parody).
How much would you pay for the universe?
You've got three pints of Kramer in ya, buddy.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Follow-up: Charlie Sheen Seeks "Anger Management".
Deepwater Horizon oil stayed beneath the waves.

View
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 08:54 kanniballl

the overhead power lines around here can be vulnerable to lightning strikes and falling tree limbs, but at least they're easily accessed for repairs.

Someone I was talking to that works on electrical stuff says he'd prefer working on buried lines. There, it's a conduit you can slide the cables through and such, like working with regular conduit. You don't have to worry about trees, damaged poles, staying on ladders / cherry-pickers / etc.

With trees, I imagine it's a PitA. For example, in my neighborhood / block it was forest / woods until they put in the development 40-50 years ago. They just removed the bare minimum trees to place the houses and have a semi-clear yard. Trimming back the branches near the street is a constant battle that the town doesn't partake in as much as they should so the power / phone lines area all flowing between a spiderweb of branches.

So it's common for a storm /snow / wind to ruin someone's day / evening by taking out power to a block/house/etc.

Meanwhile *some* areas around us buried lines, and all of the houses in town have basements and we have sewers (not septic tanks) so the ground seems to be fine for buried stuff. It's a shame we don't use buried lines, it would make things a lot more pleasant to look at.

And colleagues visiting from Europe were quite surprised at the amount of above-ground wires we have. I guess where they are it's all buried.

Then again, I guess if the conduit breaks underneath (tree root / digging / etc) then threading the cable in would be a PitA too.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2011, 08:59.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Previous Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jul 19, 10:22 Re: Out of the Blue RoboNerd
  2. Jul 19, 10:37  Re: Out of the Blue Zanthar
  3. Jul 19, 14:35   Re: Out of the Blue PHJF
  4. Jul 19, 14:43    Re: Out of the Blue skyguy
  5. Jul 19, 14:49     Re: Out of the Blue PHJF
  6. Jul 19, 15:46 Re: Out of the Blue Unknown Soldier
  7. Jul 19, 20:29  Re: Out of the Blue Capella
>> 8. Jul 20, 08:54 Re: Out of the Blue kanniballl

footer