Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had a blackout here in the BlueTower last night, which shouldn't have been too much of a surprise, since we were in the midst of one of the bigger electrical storms so far this summer. Luckily, it only lasted an hour or so... the overhead power lines around here can be vulnerable to lightning strikes and falling tree limbs, but at least they're easily accessed for repairs.

Accessible Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Mega Miner.
Unfortunate Accidents.
Links: A Geek's Journal: 1976. Thanks Boing Boing.
The 16 Most Hilariously Dishonest Old School Advertisements.
Robot band covers Marilyn Manson, renders sullen teenagers obsolete.
Science: Scientists find 'better way' to grow adult stem cells.
New fuel discovered that reversibly stores solar energy.
NASA - Latest Image of Vesta Captured by Dawn on July 17, 2011.
Media: X-MEN BORN THIS WAY (Lady Gaga Parody).
How much would you pay for the universe?
You've got three pints of Kramer in ya, buddy.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Follow-up: Charlie Sheen Seeks "Anger Management".
Deepwater Horizon oil stayed beneath the waves.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 08:54 kanniballl

the overhead power lines around here can be vulnerable to lightning strikes and falling tree limbs, but at least they're easily accessed for repairs.

Someone I was talking to that works on electrical stuff says he'd prefer working on buried lines. There, it's a conduit you can slide the cables through and such, like working with regular conduit. You don't have to worry about trees, damaged poles, staying on ladders / cherry-pickers / etc.

With trees, I imagine it's a PitA. For example, in my neighborhood / block it was forest / woods until they put in the development 40-50 years ago. They just removed the bare minimum trees to place the houses and have a semi-clear yard. Trimming back the branches near the street is a constant battle that the town doesn't partake in as much as they should so the power / phone lines area all flowing between a spiderweb of branches.

So it's common for a storm /snow / wind to ruin someone's day / evening by taking out power to a block/house/etc.

Meanwhile *some* areas around us buried lines, and all of the houses in town have basements and we have sewers (not septic tanks) so the ground seems to be fine for buried stuff. It's a shame we don't use buried lines, it would make things a lot more pleasant to look at.

And colleagues visiting from Europe were quite surprised at the amount of above-ground wires we have. I guess where they are it's all buried.

Then again, I guess if the conduit breaks underneath (tree root / digging / etc) then threading the cable in would be a PitA too.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2011, 08:59.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2011, 20:29 Capella

Unknown Soldier wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 15:46:
That Tyson video is depressing... because he's right.

Right as rain. The infrastructure in this country is falling apart with little hope of getting it fixed.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2011, 15:46 Unknown Soldier

That Tyson video is depressing... because he's right.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2011, 14:49 PHJF

Oh trust me I've watched all the videos, I've lurked heavily at Badger & Brush, and I spent a long time selecting my razor, brush, and cream. I'm not getting serious cuts, just the little annoying ones here and there.

And I don't even take a full shave, I wear a full beard specifically so I only have to shave my neck (which SHOULD be EASY).

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2011, 14:43 skyguy

PHJF wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 14:35:
Man I've been shaving with a safety razor for a month now and I'm STILL drawing blood. I don't think I'll ever get good at this shit

DO NOT use a safety razor like you would a cartridge razor, you shouldn't be pushing it into your skin like you would with a cartridge. Also you need to have it at an angle such that the blade is pointing into your skin. This is the guide I used when I first started wet-shaving:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2011, 14:35 PHJF

Man I've been shaving with a safety razor for a month now and I'm STILL drawing blood. I don't think I'll ever get good at this shit  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2011, 10:37 Zanthar

RoboNerd wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 10:22:
but at least their easily accessed for repairs.

Blue - that should be "they're" or "they are"

Asshole.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2011, 10:22 RoboNerd

but at least their easily accessed for repairs.

Blue - that should be "they're" or "they are"

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo