Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on BF3 and Steam

A note on Develop has further indications that Battlefield 3 will not be released through Steam, as speculation mounts that DICE's military shooter sequel will not appear on Valve's download service. They quote a comment from a report from financial research firm Baird based on a meeting with GameStop: "The upcoming EA title Battlefield 3 will be sold as a download through GameStop, but not through Steam," Baird says GameStop executives told them. "Given Steam's dominance and insistence on users downloading a Steam client application publishers are likely to be receptive to a competitive alternative." Thanks Computer and Video Games.

View
297 Replies. 15 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

37. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:49 Illumin

Dades wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 11:35:
It always amazes me what Valve get away with where other publishers get tarred and feathered for much lesser "crimes". Must be something like Stockholm syndrome indeed where the ass rape victim falls in love with the rapist after a long enough period of abuse.

Cheap deals for the customer, patches applied to games for the customer, a social service so you and your friends can play together... the ability to quickly and easily re install your games *and game codes are saved without having to write them down...all of this free. Not so much Stockholm syndrome as what some would call loyalty. Give me some examples please of where the customer is getting ass raped as you so intelligently put it?

Steam sucks because I have to download software that organizes my games into a neat list, shows me all updates and DLC that is available for it with out me having to scour the internet or wait in line on Fileplanet or something? Bunch of haters.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:46 Dades

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 11:41:
Really? No one? You're saying you can play a non-pirated version of, for example, CoD: Black Ops without running Steam? If so then please share the secret or just share your version of the story anyway so we can all have a good laugh.

I don't purchase games exclusively locked to specific services unless it's for a specific purpose like multiplayer frameworks and haven't done so since the Half-Life 2 launch disaster.

But the geniuses at Valve, in their infinite wisdom, require that you enter offline mode while being online, so I was locked out of all my games. Why the fuck would I ever pay full price for service like that?

If you wait for the connection to the time out then it automatically enters offline mode. This is never explained of course because Steam's UI and documentation was drawn up by five year olds.

35. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:44 PHJF

Steam is and will always be the only service I use, but I still only use it for games $15 or less.

I was having problems with my internet the other day (turned out to be my less-than-year-old router) and wanted to play a game offline. But the geniuses at Valve, in their infinite wisdom, require that you enter offline mode while being online, so I was locked out of all my games. Why the fuck would I ever pay full price for service like that?

So, just to confirm: If I purhcase the 'Retail Box' version of the game (BF3), install it, and want to play it, do I have to DL Origin in order to do so?

I highly doubt that. Whatever "origin" turns out to be I'm sure it'll be completely integrated into the game.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

34. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:43 justice7

MajorD wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 11:41:
So, just to confirm: If I purhcase the 'Retail Box' version of the game (BF3), install it, and want to play it, do I have to DL Origin in order to do so?

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the retail box was nothing more than a Key for Origin? (no disc)

33. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:41 CJ_Parker

Dades wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 11:35:
No one makes me use Steam

Really? No one? You're saying you can play a non-pirated version of, for example, CoD: Black Ops without running Steam? If so then please share the secret or just share your version of the story anyway so we can all have a good laugh.

32. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:41 MajorD

31. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:35 Dades

It always amazes me what Valve get away with where other publishers get tarred and feathered for much lesser "crimes". Must be something like Stockholm syndrome indeed where the ass rape victim falls in love with the rapist after a long enough period of abuse.

No one makes me use Steam, I buy games on the service when the price and product features warrant it. If those things aren't there then I buy them somewhere else. I'm not sure why EA seems to think it can tell me when and where to buy things but if I won't let Steam do that then why would I let them?

30. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:31 MajorD

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 11:15:
Tumbler wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:22:
Its not like steam strong armed consumers into using it. They chose to use it.

Wow. Is this stockholm syndrome?

HAHA that was a good one (and going by the follow-up comments apparently too intelligent for some of the dimmer bulbs around here). It always amazes me what Valve get away with where other publishers get tarred and feathered for much lesser "crimes". Must be something like Stockholm syndrome indeed where the ass rape victim falls in love with the rapist after a long enough period of abuse. And don'tcha gimme no "inappropriate comparison" bullshit you politically correct clown faces. Steam is ass raping at its finest. w3rD .

Portions of your post were 'somewhat' intelligent until your closing with "w3rD".

29. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:29 Rockn-Roll

This really does prove without a doubt that EA is willing to backstab previous partners and make distribution deals which consumers see as a violation of their freedoms. I honestly don't know why the developers of a product would deny a distributor to sell their product except as a political statement...it's obvious that they will lose money over this...perhaps a lot of money...I for one will not purchase BF3 because of this...and never another EA game from now on unless EA changes their aggressive policies. The strange thing is that the only message I am seeing is that EA wants to put steam out of business by denying some consumers their product. I don't see any valid complaint against Steam. In fact, the only complaints I hear is from companies trying to copy their success and failing because Steam is too beneficial...it's very hard to take business away from Steam because it's a product made by gamers for gamers and not intended as a cash business...it's a product that benefits consumers more than developers...no wonder EA wants to put it out of business.

EA is apparently overrun by idiots because this is only going to create bad press and bad feelings from consumers who are going to ask, "if EA is backstabbing their partners and hurting consumers then if we let them be the sole distributor of our games then they will do the same to us." For example EA might just start distributing parts of games...like the first 25% of a game for $25 then if you want to play the next 25% you need to pay an additional $10...kinda like the DLC trend we see but marketed toward better revenue for distributors and less for the developers. Another might be making us pay to be BETA testers even though the developer wants to make it free. If EA was the sole distributor then they could force developers to make games the way they want.

Another example is that EA would put a time limit on how long a title would be available on their service...they probably don't like the idea that a consumer could be playing their games 20 years from now and not buy a new one because the old ones still keep them entertained.

And, the truth is that requiring consumers to install and run a client is not just Steam...everyone does it...they just call it something different, a download manager, a verification or validation service, etc...other distributors are just trying to be clever and hide the code that runs on our computers, but I guarantee that consumers have to download and run something before they can play a game...even if it's been patched into the game itself. Developers who don't want to take over as distributor see Steam as a total blessing...a service which eliminates their need to market a product themselves so that they can focus on their product and make it the best that they can.

"competitive alternative"? Where's the competition? It's just EA sitting in the gaming pit by themselves and not allowing their stated competitor into the pit. EA must think we are stupid.

Let's Rock!

28. Re: World of Tanks Record Jul 18, 2011, 11:24 fix-cz

Well played sir!

27. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:21 Techie714

LOL ^^^^ Great post!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

26. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:15 MajorD

Pankin wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:37:
I couldn't care less where they sell this (or don't sell this). Rail shooters ain't my bag, baby. I'll take a sandbox over a railway any day.

So don't be gay. Eat more hay with Bobby Flay. What do you say?

<click> <click> you bet!!!

25. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:15 CJ_Parker

HAHA that was a good one (and going by the follow-up comments apparently too intelligent for some of the dimmer bulbs around here). It always amazes me what Valve get away with where other publishers get tarred and feathered for much lesser "crimes". Must be something like Stockholm syndrome indeed where the ass rape victim falls in love with the rapist after a long enough period of abuse. And don'tcha gimme no "inappropriate comparison" bullshit you politically correct clown faces. Steam is ass raping at its finest. w3rD .

24. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 11:05 nin

Sooo .. your answer is to miss out on the best game released in years?

I've passed on a number of games due to DRM, and not only do I sleep fine at night, but I have plenty of other great games to keep me busy.

If a publisher makes unreasonable demands, they lose out.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Jul 18, 2011, 10:52 Optimaximal

Topevoli wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 09:54:
Google 'Half-Life 2' or 'Counter-Strike: Source' release. I love Valve and their products (inc. Steam) as much as everyone else, but Valve were essentially the creators of the 'Digital Distribution Dick Move'.

Steam was broken and dead in the water at launch and moving Half-Life (& its mods) too it was met with revulsion from the community. They knew everyone wanted Half-Life 2 and CS:Source, so built it's entire core around Steams CDN. Everyone who bought HL2 over the service knows just how painful that initial download/unlocking process was, but they wanted Half-Life 2.

Valve have also been up to the game ever since... None of their games have any intrinsic value to them short of ensuring people keep using the Steam service.

Modern Warfare 2 starts VAC-banning people due to a bug, Valve give away 2 copies of L4D2 to everyone, with the tagline 'already got it, give them to your friends'.

Portal 2 for PS3 comes with both Steam for PS3 and a SteamPlay license for PC/Mac.

Valve tempt numerous Indies with generous distribution deals providing the games have Steamworks integration, creating a feature disconnect between the generally more popular Steam versions and the releases from other services (or sometimes even the indie's own version).

I still <3 Valve!

22. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 10:51 justice7

EA forgets just because they cornered us on one game (cant buy on steam), doesn't mean they'll get us to buy their next shitty game on Origin. The game has to be of BF3 quality for me to keep selling my soul and morality.

If anything this hurts their own brand; certainly leaves me with a dirty feeling about Origin.

21. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 10:50 StaTik

I only buy on Steam or DVD so it looks like they will have a lower profit DVD sale. Or if there is no DVD I guess I will not be playing this one.  

20. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 10:41 Verno

I don't like being pushed around by publishers either, but that's why I don't use Steam or most download services, except GOG, in the first place.

That's certainly your prerogative and more power to you but I doubt most people would agree with your conclusion about how they operate.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

19. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 10:39 justice7

Pankin wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:37:
I couldn't care less where they sell this (or don't sell this). Rail shooters ain't my bag, baby. I'll take a sandbox over a railway any day.

So don't be gay. Eat more hay with Bobby Flay. What do you say?

Never played battlefield have you? It's no rail shooter.

18. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 10:39 vrok

Verno wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:29:

You don't seem to understand what that actually means.

Not buying BF3 because it's not on Steam, but available seemingly everywhere else, and probably cheaper (in EU guaranteed much cheaper)? Haha. That's actually hilarious.

Maybe he doesn't like being pushed around by publishers? It's kind of understandable when they engage in so much exclusive this, exclusive that already. It's not like the world will end if he doesn't play BF3, they need your money way more than you need that game. People skip games based on the box art, this is nothing in comparison.
I don't like being pushed around by publishers either, but that's why I avoid using Steam or most download services, except GOG, in the first place.

297 Replies. 15 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo