Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon

"We knew it was a platform we wanted to come back to. However, until recently, the retail market for PC made it difficult to invest in a big, dedicated product," says Ghost Recon Online creative director Theo Sanders. "The emergence of online business models has brought back the opportunity to produce something dedicated to PC fans, rather than just ported multiplatform content."

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 20, 2011, 05:11 yuastnav

[...] including a revolutionary first person shooter for the hardcore audience being developed exclusively for Nintendo Wii U [...]

LOL. Nothing says "hardcore shooter" more than the Wii.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 23:54 entr0py

Jerykk wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 23:34:
I know, that's Ghost Recon Online. The Wii U version was announced less than a month after the announcement of the PC version. And since they couldn't very well mention it before the Wii U reveal, it's safe to guess it was planned this way from early in development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Recon_Online

I'd take the Wii U "announcements" with a grain of salt. Nintendo showed a bunch of multiplatform games during their press conference video reel. I think they actually meant to show Ghost Recon: Future Soldier footage instead of Ghost Recon Online footage. Until Ubisoft officially announces that GRO is coming out on Wii U, I consider it a PC-exclusive.

Edit: Whoops, nevermind. For some reason, I didn't remember the Wii U video reel specifying "Ghost Recon Online." I thought it just said "Ghost Recon." In that case, I guess Ubisoft is full of crap.

Yep, they're full of crap. Here's their press release

24. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 23:34 Jerykk

I know, that's Ghost Recon Online. The Wii U version was announced less than a month after the announcement of the PC version. And since they couldn't very well mention it before the Wii U reveal, it's safe to guess it was planned this way from early in development.

I'd take the Wii U "announcements" with a grain of salt. Nintendo showed a bunch of multiplatform games during their press conference video reel. I think they actually meant to show Ghost Recon: Future Soldier footage instead of Ghost Recon Online footage. Until Ubisoft officially announces that GRO is coming out on Wii U, I consider it a PC-exclusive.

Edit: Whoops, nevermind. For some reason, I didn't remember the Wii U video reel specifying "Ghost Recon Online." I thought it just said "Ghost Recon." In that case, I guess Ubisoft is full of crap.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2011, 23:44.

23. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 22:14 entr0py

Doublepost, sorry.  

22. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 21:47 entr0py

Jerykk wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 21:21:
entr0py wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 20:20:
"The emergence of online business models has brought back the opportunity to produce something dedicated to PC fans, rather than just ported multiplatform content."

But, Ghost Recon Online IS a multiplatform game. It may come out on the PC first, but it seems likely they'll make console friendly design decisions, since they're also working on a Wii U version.

I'm not saying that all multiplatform games are necessarily shit. But just that he shouldn't be implying it isn't a multiplatform game.

He's talking about the F2P Ghost Recon multiplayer game for PC, not Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2011, 22:17.

21. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 21:37 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 14:06:
The funny part of this story on Eurogamer was that they acted like all the GR games were console ports. In actuality of course the original game and expansions were PC games ported to consoles and the GRAW games, still the most recent releases, had unique and exclusive PC versions.

In any event, free-to-play online games are not what I want, PC exclusive or not.

Sadly GRiN had no idea what-so-ever about how to make a secure multiplayer game. You could literally edit text files in GRAW and remove all the buildings in a level, giving you free roam of the map and the ability to see and shoot enemies without that pesky village in the way. (edit: To be clear, everyone else still saw the buildings and were restricted by them. Just you weren't.) Wanted a grenade launching chaingun with unlimited ammo? Sure, just change a few numbers in the weapons file and the game just shrugged and said "Sure, whatever". Took them months to fix it and by then the online community was dead.

I remember being so excited at having such openness in the files, the ability to flip through so much of the game's code and mess around gave it such potential to mod, but the fact that they didn't bother to think about file checking so that client side mods didn't function in MP was something I just didn't expect them to so completely fail at.

Of course I'm sure Ubisoft just blamed the gamers for lack of people playing and the poor sales of GRAW 2. Fickle creatures we are, wanting decently designed games.

20. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 21:36 Teddy

19. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 21:21 Jerykk

entr0py wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 20:20:
"The emergence of online business models has brought back the opportunity to produce something dedicated to PC fans, rather than just ported multiplatform content."

But, Ghost Recon Online IS a multiplatform game. It may come out on the PC first, but it seems likely they'll make console friendly design decisions, since they're also working on a Wii U version.

I'm not saying that all multiplatform games are necessarily shit. But just that he shouldn't be implying it isn't a multiplatform game.

He's talking about the F2P Ghost Recon multiplayer game for PC, not Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

18. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 20:20 entr0py

17. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 19:25 DedEye

Start releasing finished games, support them longer than a few weeks and a single patch, and finally lose the draconian DRM. Then maybe I will look at your products again. Until that time ubisoft won't see another dime from me and clearly I'm not alone in this sentiment.  

16. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 18:49 zirik

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 16:38:
Why can't we simply go back to Rainbow Six 3, with a updates graphics engine? The planning, tactics, timing, strategy STILL blows away any military shooter out there.

i be willing to pay full price for that remaster.

15. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 17:04 Techie714

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 16:38:
Why can't we simply go back to Rainbow Six 3, with a updates graphics engine? The planning, tactics, timing, strategy STILL blows away any military shooter out there.

Quoted for TRUTH!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

14. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 16:38 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 16:31 zirik

he emergence of online business models has brought back the opportunity to produce something dedicated to PC fans

translation... the console market is stagnating so we need another venue to make up for the lost income. the next gen wont be out probably until 2015 according to some online sites. so we can expect to see more of these stop gap games for at least a couple of years.

12. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 15:30 wtf_man

Parias wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 12:32:
Exactly - and it's not like a decent plot-driven mechanic is utterly and completely unprecedented in the FPS genre. I enjoyed Serious Sam on it's own merits for example, but I got a hell of a lot more pleasure out of playing, say, Half-Life 2 for all the effort they put into the plot-advancing scripted sequences and back-story.

Similarly I'm expecting // hoping the new Ghost Recon release will have at least something of an interesting storyline to it.

I never played a ghost Recon game... if I recall, the single player campaign has always been "squad based", and I don't play those kind of shooters. Also... a mission objective to get through a level isn't what I'd call "story based"... but since I have never played GR games... I'll take your word that they have a fair amount of story.

/shrug

11. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 14:06 StingingVelvet

The funny part of this story on Eurogamer was that they acted like all the GR games were console ports. In actuality of course the original game and expansions were PC games ported to consoles and the GRAW games, still the most recent releases, had unique and exclusive PC versions.

In any event, free-to-play online games are not what I want, PC exclusive or not.

10. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 14:00 Grendle

Umn... The original Ghost Recons didn't have much of a storyline or plot. It did have a mission and goals though. They were mostly a series of maps that you got to go through to complete the mission. No rails or much of a plot.

They didn't even have vehicles that you could get into. As far as the newer ones, they where pretty good. My all time favorite from them must be rainbow 6v3 ravenshield. You could slowly open the door with the mouse wheel. Lean, prone, not on rails too much. Some of the maps where though. AI sucked.

9. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 12:37 CJ_Parker

Yep. The helo or APC rides with the mission briefings plus the video transmissions during a battle were always highly enjoyable. I have very little hope though that anything that is currently in development GR-wise is going to offer any of that stuff.  

8. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 12:32 Parias

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 11:47:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:11:
Darks wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:08:
I got a chance to check out Ghost Recon Online while at E3. All I can say is stay away from this utter crap of a game. Its nothing but run around and kill each other. No story at all. The Graphics were very bland and dated.

Uhh... not that I disagree, nor would I even consider purchasing this game... but WTF else are you supposed to do in a shooter?

Dude, l34Rn 2 r33d, he said "no story at all" so obviously he wants to at least have a pseudo-purpose for the running around and killing each other part. Besides, since this is Ghost Recon we are talking about here and not Serious Sam, it does seem like a reasonable expectation. The GR games did have pretty decent story-telling mechanics for a shooter series.

Exactly - and it's not like a decent plot-driven mechanic is utterly and completely unprecedented in the FPS genre. I enjoyed Serious Sam on it's own merits for example, but I got a hell of a lot more pleasure out of playing, say, Half-Life 2 for all the effort they put into the plot-advancing scripted sequences and back-story.

Similarly I'm expecting // hoping the new Ghost Recon release will have at least something of an interesting storyline to it.

7. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 11:47 CJ_Parker

wtf_man wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:11:
Darks wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:08:
I got a chance to check out Ghost Recon Online while at E3. All I can say is stay away from this utter crap of a game. Its nothing but run around and kill each other. No story at all. The Graphics were very bland and dated.

Uhh... not that I disagree, nor would I even consider purchasing this game... but WTF else are you supposed to do in a shooter?

Dude, l34Rn 2 r33d, he said "no story at all" so obviously he wants to at least have a pseudo-purpose for the running around and killing each other part. Besides, since this is Ghost Recon we are talking about here and not Serious Sam, it does seem like a reasonable expectation. The GR games did have pretty decent story-telling mechanics for a shooter series.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo